TFW "Coffee Lake" Core i3-8350K and i3-8100 chips are rebadged Kaby Lake dies

>the components on the bottom perfectly match what is under an i7-7700K, while real Coffee Lake looks different.
>hw-museum.cz/data/cpu/pic/Intel_Core_i7-7700K_B.jpg
>techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K/images/cpu2.jpg

>i7-8700K has stepping U0
>i3-8350K has stepping B0
>i7-7700K has stepping B0
>these chips are only blocked from working on Z170/Z270/B150/H110 by the BIOS.

lel

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu-world.com/news_2017/2017090701_Details_of_Intel_Coffee_Lake-S_CPUs_surface_on_the_ASRock_website.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

delet this goy

DELID THIS

>download MOAR COARZ
when?

Everyone already knew this when they said i5 and i7 support 2667 but i3 will only support 2400 ram

Intel generally likes to fuck with the cheaper chip buyers like this, so that would not be weird.

I guess this explains why these chips are reasonably in stock, while haxacores sold out quickly. Intel had loads of these old chips, while the launch volume for actual Coffee Lake was minuscule.

Is this good or bad?

When AMD buys up Intel.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good for the investors, you get fucked over.

It's good for AMD

>Buy into Z370 platform
>rebadged chipset
>rebadged CPU
I wish they at least rebadged the fucking socket, it actually needed it.

what the fuck intel

>not understanding rebadging

Kinda glad I bought a 7700k earlier this year then. I don't need anything more than its performance for gaming and I really don't want to support the 8th gen and their bs they are pulling now. I kinda figured the i3 was a 7700k and I feel like this whole issue between intel and amd is going to take a couple years before leveling out.

It's good for everyone, goy. Ignore the antisemites in this thread.

I just bought a 7700k how fucking stupid am I?

user, calling it 1151 when it isn't compatible with 1151 CPUs and the "neo1151" CPUs don'T work in 1151, that is just fucking stupid and it is going to cause trouble to people who don't read every hardware news.

The socket should have been renamed and was not. Z370 could have stayed Z270 but no, gotta increment.

Good thing I bought Covfefe Lake.

MCPUGA

Wait, so the core i3 are just 7600/7700k under clocked?
How is that a bad thing though?

You are artificially forced to buy new Z370 board at premium for them. They wouldn'T be bad CPUs by themselves.

Because they're not compatible with Z170/270 artificially. Same chip different board. Refreshes are fine but between Kaby Lake-X and this Intel are being dicks by launching the same CPU's on multiple platforms.

Not sure. The shortage probably helps them, also the artificial incompatibility.
But Intel will still stuff their pockets thoroughly and obviously the tide is a bit better for it versus AMD than it was before the launch.

Nah, they wouldn't work because the pin layout is completely different on 8xxx chips. It is physical/electrically incompatible with 1xx/2xx boards. Intel is just fucking retarded by calling it Socket1151v2. They had enough fucking sense to post-X99 boards Socket 2011v3 when the socket is unable to work with older Socket 2011 chips and vice versa due to changes in pin layout and power distribution.

In other words, these are just Kaby Lakes with more power distribution pins which means that packaging could theoretically tolerate more overvolting.

Wait, so I can buy a rebagded I7-7700 for $180aud instead of $480aud and get a z300 for $199 instead of a Z200 for $150?

Wow intel really screwing me with this one...

>Nah, they wouldn't work because the pin layout is completely different on 8xxx chips.
Not true. They just added some ground and VCC pins, but those are wired in paralel and you sually you can boot fine even if some of them are disconnected.
Point is, for these rebadged Kaby Lakes, those extra pins are not needed at all and maybe they are not even used. If Intel hadn't it locked so well with IME, the support could probably be hacked into the BIOSes.

I agree that they should call it 1115v2 or 1151B or whatever, the current situation sucks.

>which means that packaging could theoretically tolerate more overvolting
Nope, the tolerance to overvolting is a different thing and is only influenced by the actual silicon.
With the extra contacts, what you are getting is that you can push in more current at the same voltage.

You mean 7600K. These neo-core-i3s lack HT, they are just 4c/4t peasants.

You'd only be buying i3s in a budget pleb build anyway?

s-s-so what? its good for the environment

They are good chips for those, people will get much more value than now with the 2c4t trash.
But that will only truly come when there are H310 and B350 motherboards for good price.

It could have been even sweeter if older (even cheaper, often discounted) boards would work with them.

This way I'm still favoring Ryzens. There are less schenanigans with them, and future upgrade path is there.

Bad for your wallet if you buy intel.

>rebranding cpus
wow not even amd does this shit on the CPU side

bravo, intel

>RAID keys for coars

it's inevitable

Oh wew.

OP is a lying faggot

Coffee Lake die sizes are not the same as Kaby Lake

8100 and 8350k are not CFL.

You're wrong, it's listed under CFL-S so they are Coffee Lake and they are built with 14nm++ process, they are not the same as Kaby Lake 14nm+ process

>LITERALLY the same stepping as KBL-S
shoo shoo rajew

Wow who would have thought

pretty goddamn retarded

Are they going to quit producing them early like last gen

>coffee lake so far
>i3 are rebadge kabylake which are rebadged skylake with higher tdp

>i5 and i7 have motherboard specific turbo boost that are being called "stock" setting

>no cheap H or B variant motherboards

>paper launch

>price hike on same model from last year

>price hike
come again?

Thank fuck I bought my i7 in 2012 and don't have to deal with this shit. When will Intel finally get it's shit together? Is there any hope for ice lake at least?

I thought people knew better than trusting something on the simple fact that the manufacturer that makes a profit on it says so

Doesn't matter, there will still be shills with 20 feet dildos stuck up their ass who will defend shittel.

very retarded

So can you use it with the old mobos then?

Who's /ryzenandsafe/ here?

Any chance we'll get modded BIOSes/modded micro-code updates so they'll run on older motherboards?

It's pin incompatible.
They moved the pin that checks CPU validity.

Actually Kaby Lake quadcore is supposed to be 126 mm2 too. That slide is old BTW, maybe teh quad chip got cancelled or delayed. It's not like using Kaby die is a huge difference, there are no new features in coffee's CPU or GPU cores.
What is more important is the stepping though - if it was native Coffee Lake chip, it would have stepping U0. CPU-Z says the stepping is the same as that of Kaby Lake, though: B0.

?

Good old times.
Today the CPU is way too interconnected and guarded by IME I fear, it will break the usage as "anti-tampering protection" even if it would otherwise be capable of working.

source?

Funny that we had signs of this well ahead.

cpu-world.com/news_2017/2017090701_Details_of_Intel_Coffee_Lake-S_CPUs_surface_on_the_ASRock_website.html

>stepping B0

Why is middling modern bios such Jewish trickery

Generating shareholder value.
Brand got strong enough so they don't need to fear backlash, especially if they pile up the anti-consumer things gradually.
Can I feel a bit better because Apple is even worse?

Question, is AMD actually more ethical? Are they screwing people over? Do they have built in hardware backdoors?

>for profit corporation
>ethical
pick one

They are a bit better, at least sometimes. Even if they were the same sort of bastards, they can't do as much shit as Intel, because their market position is weaker and they don't have that huge brand power and long-term OEM contacts. So basically their small size protects you, the customer.
Generally, they have longer-life sockets/compatibility, like with AM3, AM2 and hopefully now with AM4. The compatibility was not good with FM1/FM2/FM2+, where they had to break it reportedly because of changing power infrastructure (more voltage planes added for soc/gpu/cpu).
What is kinda good with AMD is that they don't turn off so many features or instruction sets and the like in cheaper chips.

Intel removes AVX, HT, used to be even AES, has slower RAM support in cheaper chips, and so on. Also they only unlock the most expensive SKUs, while AMD keeps that feature on more processors.

>hardware backdoors
>conspiracy theories, no comment

AMD progresses tech rather than milking consumers with redundant releases.
HBM, DDR, etc are all only around because of AMD.
when was the last time intel introduced a new tech which was beneficial for everyone besides their greedy owners?

You are overstating it. Generally AMD is more benign on you and offers better value for the same money (that was its selling point against the strength of Intel's brand and/or monopoly, always), more friendly as I said But don't make it sound like it's Siths versus Jedis or something.

Every CPU is backdoored now. Its interesting that we have no idea how or what its capable of because none has access.

I think it's funny that you have to choose between the lesser of two backdoors here. AMD's PSP is closed but at least there are no known security vulnerabilities YET, while Intel's ME has KNOWN security vulnerabilities and is a direct threat to the security of your system. It's the devil you know vs. the one you don't.

And also the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade from my fx8350. If I did id probably keep it as a separate system and use the new system just for stuff that needs the juice

FXing safe here

nvidia'd.com

GeForced.com

>AMD's PSP is closed but at least there are no known security vulnerabilities
Its mere existence is a security vulnerability

On this week's pcper podcast they mentioned that rumor has it that Z370 boards were at one point backwards compatible and they could've totally kept it in, presumably with the transposed pins being taken care of.

>yfw you have to get new chipsets for it
>yfw the mobo is more expensive than the cpu

this ian cutress, is he 14?

10 new skus a year keeps the investors in fear!

>they are built with 14nm++ process

Pretty fucking stupid unless your computer is exclusively meant for gaming

It actually true, It means Intel lied about Coffee Lake requiring new motherboards.

It's not a slide, its an image made by benchlife.info.

>trusting some random website that provide any sources
If they want to do original research, that's fine - but then they also have to show their working.

This is just literally WCCFTech tier shit.

So potentialy a bios update could get them to work on Z170/Z270 motherboards then?

Not that motherboard manufacturers are going to release such an update ofcourse

just wait for intel's 14nm+++ next year.
it will be magick.

Motherboards need to get microcode bios updates and it will work.
If not people can inject microcode and it will work.

Not to mention the 8350K is the only one with a 91W TDP, the same as the 7700K.

Either changing the pin layout was a last minute decision (which would be a terrible idea after its already been taped out), or Intel are straight up lying. And if they are just lying, hoo boy I can't wait for the backlash.

Thank fuck i bought my xeon back in 2013 and still dont have to care about cpus

?one progresses tech, the other just rips it off and milks the market..
nvidia does the same thing, only they buy up any other company producing tech and then prevent AMD cards from using said tech (see physx)
even when AMD gpus are actually better at performing with the aforementioned tech. (physx creators were pissed about this market practise)
obviously they're still a corporation and they aren't in it because they're good people.
but they're far far less harmful for the industry than the sacks of shit whome they compete with

It was done entirely for insurance against lawyers. The current crop of low-end and mid-tier 1xx-2xx boards may not have good enough power delivery to handle 6-core Coffee Lake chips (failure to POST or general instability at stock speed).

Rather then dealing with a hassle of another "PIII 1.13Ghz debacle". They took the safer route of mildly tweaking their desktop-tier socket for better power delivery. Forcing customers to upgrade to newer motherboard is just icing on the cake. It is no surprise that Intel shareholders were 100% on board with it.

same. lel
*highfive*

>AMD pajeet FUD spreading thread #2389472389423794

Maybe if AMD poured their tiny budget into actual R&D instead of spending it on all these indians then they could be relevant. Their loss I guess.

>their tiny budget into actual R&D
and if intel spent their budget on actual R&D instead of relentless shill campaigns and buying out the competition, the market wouldn't have become a stagnant and worthless shitfest which makes anyone who purchases anything released within the past 4 years worthy of being a laughing stock.

Which is why they released an i5 that stomps the entire ryzen lineup that has barely come out and is already eating dirt.

Maybe they would come up with even better products if they were forced to compete, but the only competition is a piss poor excuse of a company that thinks it can carry its own not by releasing good products but by spreading FUD on competition in a bunch of forums, welp, stagnation is what happens.

you can't buy these cpus anywhere idiot

>it's our competitors fault we don't release anything good
LOL

they are really obnoxious. I'm buying Intel and Nvidia rig just to spite them.

>If they want to do original research, that's fine - but then they also have to show their working.

That's not how you do it when you leak stuff you dug out of some insider contact. Have you seen anybody do that? Me not.
The difference is that wccftech is full of shit but benchlife.info leaks some pretty good pieces. They had excellent information on Intel and AMD CPUs in the past, way long time before launch. The Chris L. guy at least - before tha he was at VR-Zone Chinese.

>uses singlethread benchmark to compare processors with up to 8 cores to force his point
fuck off kiddo

Get back to work, Brian.

It's true. I tried running a business like a decent individual for years. It was never even close to profitable. Being an underhanded shithead is the only way to make it.

isnt 8100 pretty good though? certainly better than even an overclocked r3 for the same price

It'll only run 98c at stock. Just think of the headroom!