Other urls found in this thread:

safa-ivrit.org/timesplaces/countries.php):
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Socotra is rightful Somali clay

yummy semen

yea man

Yemen

Etymology

From Arabic اَلْيَمَن (al-yaman), from Proto-Semitic *yamīn- (“right; right hand”).

From the Venis

This is what I've always assumed, basically.

I don't speak Arabic, but in Hebrew ימין (yamin) is "right" and שמאל (smol) is "left." I guess Yemen and Somalia were just named by folks boating northward through the straits there?

Never thought of it like this
how does 'תימן' fit into this

I sort of found an answer (safa-ivrit.org/timesplaces/countries.php):
>שמה של המדינה תימן נגזרה ממיקומה - בצד דרום (הוא צד ◄ימין של העולם העתיק):
>הֲמִבִּינָתְךָ, יַאֲבֶר-נֵץ; יִפְרֹשׂ כְּנָפָו לְתֵימָן. (איוב לט כו); עוּרִי צָפוֹן וּבוֹאִי תֵימָן (שיר השירים ד טז).

That doesn't really explain why the other is called how סומליה is derived from שמאל though.

>That doesn't really explain why the other is called how סומליה is derived from שמאל though.
Holy wow I butchered my English there. Let me try again.

"That doesn't really explain how סומליה is derived from שמאל though."

I suppose it isnt then.
The name "Somali" is, in turn, held to be derived from the wordssooandmaal, which together mean "go and milk" — a reference to the ubiquitouspastoralismof the Somali people.[29]Another plausibleetymologyproposes that the termSomaliis derived from theArabicfor "wealthy" (dhawamaal), again referring to Somali riches in livestock.[30]

>somolia
>wealthy
memes aside, I guess my theory died :/

interesting while it lasted

And about yemen
Found this

Some sources claim it is from the Arabicyamin, meaning "right-hand side" (a referrence to Yemen's position relative to an observer looking inland fromMecca),

ימין -> يمين -> תימן
שמאל -/> يسار -/> סומליה

So I guess the sound of Somalia is a coincidence? The Arabic for "left" is apparently يسار (yasar) anyways.

More interested in what the fick שמאל comes from now

I'm not having a lot of luck researching the etymology of the Hebrew word שמאל

Can't even find any Rabbinical writings on the spelling of the word

it's Yisar in Arabic (for left), maybe we need to look at a proto-arabic proto-semetic language

According to אונקלוס on Gen. 48:13, the Aramaic words for "right" and "left" are ימינא (yemina) and סמאלא (smala), which certainly seem closer to the Hebrew than to the Arabic.

would be nice to know where the word yisar comes from in arabic then, if two other Semitic languages have smal/smala as left. Maybe it developed out of Proto-Arabic

yee

Well, the root is ي-س-ر (y-s-r) which is pretty similar to the Hebrew root י-ש-ר (y-sh-r), but that means "straight, honest."

I wouldn't be surprised if يسر is connected somehow to other Semitic languages, if not by that root then by some consonant-shift from ancient times.

>I wouldn't be surprised if يسر is connected somehow to other Semitic languages,
thanks to you(if you are arab) we would never know

your people killed them all, remember?

I'm not Arab

Why haven't you killed yourself yet

rude

Name from an old secret sect. It means "quick hide the oil".