I'm looking to run an ethernet cable no more than 50ft long to my PS4 with a 300 down/up fiber connection

I'm looking to run an ethernet cable no more than 50ft long to my PS4 with a 300 down/up fiber connection
what type of cable should I buy? 5e, 6, or something else?

Cat5e is fine for gigabit networking. You don't need to go fancy unless you're running a huge trunk of cables where crosstalk can be an issue or trying to run 10G base T, which the playstation wouldn't support anyways.

Have you thought of just looking up the specifications?

5e will do the job, just get whatever is cheap that is at least cat5.

I'm using a cat 5 right now, but I was led to understand that's not current enough for fiber speeds and when I'm downloading things on my ps4 it's far slower than it should be

I have 900mbps fiber going further than that on CAT5e

That's just because sony servers are shit for speeds. I have 1gbps fiber and never get more than like 20-50mbps from sony shit.

Steam downloads are 700-800mbps+

Get Cat6 because all that shit is backwards compatible. When you get the latest and greatest console you'll still be all set.

Cat 5 is more than able to do gigabit, which is the fastest the PS3 can handle.

You mean 5e..cat5 might be able to do gigabit but I can't imagine it will be stable. You probably can't even buy cat5 cable anymore.

cat5 basically doesn't exist, half the cat5 sold was cat5e spec it just didn't exist yet.

Only the cheapest shittiest cat5 was ever REALLY cat5.

almost all cat5 at the end of it's life was in fact cat5e spec.

And you're right, you can't buy cat5 because cat5e is basically the same damn thing and always has been.

You don't NEED cat 6, but get cat 6 anyway. With minimal shopping around, you should find some almost he same price as Cat 5. It will give you better shielding options, especially if things get added or moved around in the future. You never know what might interfere, or when you just have to run it over something else that's a problem.

Also, you probably should be looking at a 75 foot or even a 100 foot piece of cable. Again, it will give you options to run it in and around all sorts of stuff to help hide it and keep it from getting tangled in people's feet, etc.

I wired my house with cat 7 for all main, long runs that had to weave between electric cables, ductwork and copper pipes, so 4 main 100 foot cables that covered 50-80 feet straight line distance but used almost all the 100 feet after tucking it around corners and behind molding. All my short runs of 10-20 feet use 25 foot or 50 foot cat 6. I still have a dozen cat 5e cables of various lengths for temporary runs, and converted a couple to crossover patch cables for direct PC-to-PC connections.

In the end, most of this is overkill, but I never have to consider cables a FAIL point when things go wrong. Also, power over ethernet is never a problem; I have two POE security cameras with 100 feet of cat 7, then a switch, then another 25 feet cat 6 each between them and the main router. No issues.

Holy fuck, I can only dream of having that fast of internet... Ausfag here, 6mbps for $100 a month...

> ricer ethernet cables
I have yet to see a residential user hook shielded cables up correctly. They actually perform worse in a lot of cases if you don't have a ground path, or if the ground on the workstation side is fucky. These things don't make sense outside a rack room.

Anything under 100ft is a very short run. Just go to Monoprice or whoever's reputable in your area and get the cheapest Cat6 they have. You'll be good through the 10Gb era.

Plug that cable into a computer instead of a PS4 and run a speedtest. What do you get?

If it's just one cable across your house, it won't matter. Just don't put any crazy links in it.

I'm and IT professional and and about to get my Network + Comptia cert.

>I'm looking to run an ethernet cable no more than 50ft long to my PS4 with a 300 down/up fiber connection
Why don't you just move the PS4 to where the jack is running such a long cord?

don't tell me you live with your parents

Get Cat.6. 15 meters are cheap anyhow - like $10 or so even if you have it shipped from China, maybe the same locally.

5e/6. Ethernet cable is pretty cheap. I'd just go with 6. One piece of advice is to give yourself plenty of breathing room with length. I recently ran CAT6 through my apartment for my desktop, and it was just over 25 feet measured point-to-point, but after routing around doors and what not I used the entire 50' of cable. It in fact was not long enough for my original plan. I had to get creative and have it cross my hallway half way down behind the cold air return vent.

Also it's worth checking if there's old school telephone jacks. Sometimes they're wired with CAT5E (mine were), and it's possible you could use them. For me, routing from them to where I needed Ethernet would have been problematic, and you have to make sure the two portions you need can be spliced together and function, so it was easier to run a new cable, but it's worth checking.

Another thing to consider is your main switch. Chances are good that the one built into your isp provided modem is shit compared to others. Use your ISP modem for wi-fi access point and DHCP duties but have all wired Ethernet cables ran to a separate switch. Thus you will take some load off of your isp modem, better efficiency and if all your devices support jumbo frame (packets) you'll get a speed increase in terms of file transfer rate. Trend net makes some good switches, made of metal and can be mounted almost anywhere.

> It in fact was not long enough for my original plan. I had to get creative and have it cross my hallway half way down behind the cold air return vent.
You know you could have just gotten 5-10m more and a cable coupler, right?

Which ISP are you using senpai?

AT&T

Ausfag here too, I've learnt to just stop complaining, I think our only options are deal with it or move countries..

Cat5e SHIELDED. Remember the SHIELDED part

Steam downloads are 700-800mbs on your network.

Been on a 10gb/s network before, was pulling 9.8gb/s or 1.2 gigabytes/sec to my SSD from Steam's servers.

You not getting full gigabit speeds from steam is due to your ISP, shitty network card, other people on your network, router reduction, etc.

I'm not sure what Steams limits are. but I can tell you they are at least 10gb/s

Perhaps if you tossed the Huawei dongle and got onto, say, ADSL or even fibre, you'd get better speed.
I'm on iPrimus and get 70-100Mbs for $100 a month with a 1TB quota.
If you just stopped bitching and looked around, eh?

I mean, it's mainly just traffic to steam servers.

Late night I can hit ~900mbps which is basically as good as you can expect over WAN without moving up to 10gbps interfaces.