There are people who program in (((Lisp)))

>There are people who program in (((Lisp)))

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/pepe-the-frog
infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy
youtube.com/watch?v=aZtIer6KOUI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doesn't the parentheses mean the language counts as an international hate symbol now?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

>There are people who know about Lisp and don't consider it the pinnacle of Math, Computer Science and Programing Languages

You're think of C.

There is nothing impressive, elegant or worthy of noting in C.
It is to be used only when you need to do something lower level that can't be done in Lisp (easily).

>the language of unix
>durr it sucks, this language no one has heard of before is better

I don't get it
aren't symbols defined by society?
I have never, ever, not once seen the parenthesis thing used outside of Sup Forums and in Sup Forums it's always in some meme context. I mean as far as I understand Sup Forums created it, it's another one of OUR things.

language that pajeet code monkeys like (You) haven't heard before

Did I say it sucks? I believe that C is the best at what it does - which is low level stuff. However, there is nothing impressive, elegant or worthy of noting about it.
Lisp, however is the best at higher level stuff, and does possess all the qualities mentioned above that C does not.

>nothing worth noting about the language of unix

>doesn't even come with any examples of it being good
>just states it
Embarrassing.

The language speaks for itself.
Don't reply to my posts ever again.

Telling a lie often enough doesn't make it true.

I am well aware of that.

You haven't ever programmed in C, right? It's literally the thinnest fucking possible level of abstraction ever over assembly, it just pushes your ability to name stuff a little bit further while abstracting away the actual assembly instructions.

On the other hand, LISP is not even a language: it's a specification. Saying that it's a language means bikeshedding ~60 years worth of programming history. Or raking all the language with the C-like syntax and calling them all ALGOL.

Symbolics, OpenGenera, Emacs. Now fuck off. No competent C programmer would say a word off about any lisp-like language - primarily because almost all of them learnt programming with scheme. This only shows off your ignorance of the subject

I use it (((autoLisp at least))) for work because we use autocad

Haha, try to understand normies:
adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/pepe-the-frog

It's not an either/or thing, ya know?

Do some decent programming in Scheme or even CL and you'll see C with different eyes..

Oh, well there was a post by Paul Graham where he said that he made his startup with Lisp and BTFO every competition on the market because of Lisp.

But that's not even the Point. Lisp is just incredibly powerful and amazing, once you "see the matrix".

Lisp is a kids language. One of the easiest tasks in programming language theory is implementing a Lisp interpreter. A fucking kid can do it. It's only one tier above implementing a brainfuck interpreter.

Lisp is what happens when esoteric languages mask themselves as a "general-use" languages.

Legitimate question:

why do people worry about which languages other people use?

I'm not trying to stir trouble, I legitimately don't know the core differences between how languages function besides that they have different syntax

>lisp
>not prolog

the more people you get your shit language to use the more ecosystem it gets

that's why everyone is shilling their own favorite language

>it's simple and easy therefore it's bad

Simple and easy to PARSE. If that's a virtue, brainfuck is superior.

If you meant simple and easy to read and understand, you should take a look at Python.

(((you)))

I'm not saying that python is a bad language; I'm not even going to talk multithreading here, because that'd be too easy.

But you are using words such as `simple` and `easy` as if they were interchangeable. Thing is: "simple" means by definition "not complicated". Have you ever tried to look at the python's interpreter? It's the biggest fucking mess since the 1st world war, __self__ everywhere - and god forbid you from trying to do metaprogramming. Also, "simple" is an absolute state, you can objectively tell what is "simple" and what is not.

Then, "easy" is subjective - you say "easy" to whom? It's easy for your mother to give birth, but not so for your father. It's easy for a native inuit speaker to speak his language, but not so for you.

So, basically, python is easy - if you always programmed in imperative/OOP languages, otherwise it is not. If you got half a brain and did some algebra in school haskell might even be easier for you than python.

I've seen twitter posts of normalscum posting it

>Then, "easy" is subjective - you say "easy" to whom? It's easy for your mother to give birth, but not so for your father. It's easy for a native inuit speaker to speak his language, but not so for you.

wow so profound

give me some more brain busters buddy

>Have you ever tried to look at the python's interpreter? It's the biggest fucking mess since the 1st world war,
Fine, Lua then is successfully both simple and useful as an embedded lang.

infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy

> There are people who program in (((Lisp)))
Just wait a little, they'll die from old age soon.

2018 the year of the Lisp
You'll see

also
>emitting Clojure

simple and easy as in if you have half a brain you can start programming in python and make a somewhat useful program in a few hours. python is not complicated for a programming language, you don't need to use any of the class abstractions to make something useful and if you really want to hammer in your baby duck syndrome you can use functional ways to achieve the same ends.

Clojure has been stagnating in the past 5 years or so.

>haskell is now the strongest of the memes
kek
they should be called to be a meme programming language family

Are lisp programmers even people? Or just some subhuman slime that was left over from back in the primitive days of programming?

>He judges a language based on how popular it is

I don't judge the language(even tho I have a lot to say about lisp), I'm just pointing out no one is using it anymore.

>slime that was left over from back in the primitive days of programming?
yes slime is a based lisp tool

clojure is not lisp

I wonder (((who's))) behind this Wikipedia Article....

API glueing is easy in PHP as well.
also
>__self__.
yeah, sure
blub programmers pls go
you can bet your imperative-programming ass it is

>Lisp is a kids language.

Oh how utterly wrong you are.
Lisp is an experts language.
If you really know Lisp, stuff like Haskell, Scala or C-family style languages will be easy peasy lemon squeezy..

Lisp was never "popular" to begin with.
But to me that's a good thing.
You see, beginners try to reduce cognitive dissonances by learning only the top-10 programming languages from the Tiobe index and talk shit about everything else. But if you've seen enough you can make up your own mind.

Wrong.
It's even a Lisp-1, like Scheme.

>blub meme
How's arc going, Paul?

> everything is meme

>Lisp was never "popular" to begin with.
Lisp was very popular in the 80s tho, it was somewhat close to Python today, being considered the language of AI. It was popular enough for people to produce the standard in 94. But the point isn't the absolute popularity, it's the downward trend for at least 15 years or so. No one teaches lisp anymore, no one learns it, the only lisp in production is legacy systems from the 80s and the 90s.
Blub is a meme tho, in the classical sense. It's actually quite an ironical one because no Lisp user who keeps repeating it has even considered that Lisp is the ultimate blub, since it has barely changed in the last 30 years yet lispers still think it's the best language out there and refuse to move forward with the world around them.

I'd say that Python is closer in relevance to BASIC than it is to lisp

>Lisp was never "popular" to begin with.
Nice revisionism, m8: youtube.com/watch?v=aZtIer6KOUI

>prolog
For what pvrpose

Normalfags have ruined the word meme. If more than 3 people are aware of the existence of something, it's now a meme.

LISP should be everyone's first programming language

Am I the only one that thinks lisp is needlessly filled with eyesores and the parentheses are just so people can pretend lisp is some beautiful elven thing?

No, it's needlessly filled with eyesores and the parentheses because the authors were too lazy to write a proper parser. It was originally expected to use something called M-expressions for code, which are way more readable, but once the authors got the basic shit working they just abandoned the rest of the plan and stuck with S-expressions for the code.

That's not homotopy type theory.

It takes me about twice as long to understand and to program an equilivelant piece of lisp than it takes with C++.

I cant really see any reason to use it unless I'm using emacs.

I don't think most people who like LISP like the parenthesis at all.
It's the elegance of the procedural style of programming.

It's really odd to do at first, especially if it's not your first language, but by the time you're proficient in it, it basically forces you into a programmer's frame of mind.
That's why I said LISP should be everyone's first programming language.

Daily reminder Lisp has nothing to do with lambda calculus except for the term they stole, as opposed to the ML-family languages like Haskell, which was designed as a practical implementation of typed lambda calculus.

Regular lisp contains the same quantity (or less) of parens as the union of parens, brackets and braces in other languages. They just seem more prevalent because they come before the combiner.

(def a (f (g (x))))
def a () { f(g(x)); }