Please tell me a reason why I shouldn't nab up a cheap 7700k from a rich inteldrone looking to buy a 8700k?

Please tell me a reason why I shouldn't nab up a cheap 7700k from a rich inteldrone looking to buy a 8700k?
I have an i7-920, and I do love me some god-tier single-thread performance

shit cpu but if all you want to do is run higan and office all day then go for it

Dead platform

How is it a shit cpu? It literally has the best IPC and single threaded performance in the whole goddamn world.
I can understand that.

How cheap?

go for it

Nah, it's a great processor. If you can get it for cheap then it would be a nice upgrade

not OP, how cheap would be good?

You would want to know it's service life, like has it been overclocked at 5 GHz for the last two years and "only" peaked at 100 C. But, if you can trust it was not raped until it failed, under $100 would be pretty good, under $50 would be theft.

under a hundred bucks? No, I don't think anyone would sell it that low.

Name a number. Maybe re-read OP for comprehension this time. The big qualifier is trust in its history. If a little old lady only surfed the web with it on Sundays, sure it's worth more. If some 13-year-old gaymfag used his spunk as thermal paste and committed thermal shutdown with it a few dozen times, I wouldn't take it for free.

Context is kind of a Thing.

what if the little old lady tried to overclock it and didn't account for temps, while the gaming kid had a 200 dollar cooler and meticulously incremented voltages

7700k is meme shit I had a i7 920 3 years ago it was dope i5 4690 was worse.

Get a 1600 am4 will be around for 3 more years unlike memelake socketgate

Can you buy a 7700k for 160$?
>Yes
Buy it
>No
Buy a 8400/wait for zen2

Pretty much this. Of course it's a great chip but it's just not worth buying at the moment. You have to think about the Z270 to go with it too, implying the guy would sell the mobo with it too.

I don't think you should spend more than 250 bucks for both the 7700k+z270 used.

If you can get it for >=270 I would go for it. Otherwise I would just get a r7 1700.
Either way it would be a major upgrade

I just bought the 8400, its pretty much the same as a 7700k for 189 dollars

Also 8400 comes with a stock cooler that seems to work just fine from my small amount of testing last night. I need to play gta v for 2 hours to really see how hot its gonna get

>god-tier single-thread performance

meme

I have an i5 2500, what's the best cpu that I could swap in that within this same chipset?

something to do with 7700k being worth about nothing with the release of 8400

HAHA WHAT ABOUT THE UNIVERSE WHERE HITLER CURED CANCER MORTY THE ANSWER IS DONT THINK ABOUT IT 200IQ+

2700k? Or is it 2600k?

i unironically laughed out loud at this

Buy a 2600k, overclock it as much as you can, congrats you got yourself a 7700k Lite(tm)

I sold my 6600k and z170 for £220
Shit's expensive, to

Get Ryzen 7 1700 it's much better

>downgrading in single core performance
Smart

If it is under $130-150 it could be an okay deal. otherwise killed by i5-8400.

How cheap is it? Are you going to delid it so you can actually over clock?

>downgrading in core count
Smart

OP here, the rick inteldrone is selling me his 7700K for $430 US bucks. He says that the CPU goes for over $600 at times and I'm getting a super good deal.

You need to try harder

>"best" tank in ww2
>except it can't cross regular bridges
>blames bridges not designed for it
memezen = "best" tank and having more cores ain't always it buddy

>a horse is objectively better than a car because it performs better if you don't have a road, so let's keep using horses forever

The 8400 is just as good for gayming and you're unlikely to find one cheaper than one of those. Plus you'll be on a dead platform with no upgrade path.

>No upgrade path on 7700k
Its not like getting something new is going to allow you to upgrade in the future
You will just get locked out because Intel said so.

>A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear

>if
nice try champ

Sure it is, dummy. If he buys an 8400 then the 8700K already exists as a future upgrade path, let alone any future CPUs.