This thing phones home to www.belkin.com every single minute. Why?

This thing phones home to www.belkin.com every single minute. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersecurity_Information_Sharing_Act
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Firmware updates ;)

How else will {{{they}}} know what you're doing on the internet?

Because you haven't flashed a FOSS firmware image yet.

Completely normal, did u enable bunch of security stuff like firewall ddos Port forwarding etc? and this user says firmware were automatically update and keep searching every hour.

It's probably rooted via hardware. The NSA isn't that dumb.

because of the (((cloud))) feature built in. the (((cloud))) app needs to know what ip your routwr has.

This.
Do it now

>flash firmware that doesn't understand what to do with .exe
>all .exe malware now can't run

>.exe on hardware

suuuuuure

>his router has a fan

Enable deep packet inspection and see what it's sending you fucking normie retard fuck

>buying a product that updates firmware on it's own
kys

Yeah you're right I forgot, it's totally obvious
;-)

>he doesn't have a dual core router

>dual core
>not a quad core router
>in the year of our lord 2017

>Using US networking hardware
We warned you about this but you didn't listen

can you flash linksys routers though?

>1986+31
>not having 6 cores

The wrt router's actually encourage it

It’s probably been very homesick since leaving the factory

If what OP was seeing is the NSA's doing why is phoning home to belkin.com and not NSA? Not saying this is proof the NSA hasn't put a root lite on it but the bhavipre describes by OP isn't the NSA's doing.

>2017
>not a router custom with Xeon or Threadripper, 32GB RAM ECC, 256GB STORAGE NVMe, Fiber external and internal...

Because phoning directly to NSA would be clearly unethical. I'm assuming the NSA would simply ask belkin for the info and will get it.

This is the correct answer
It's so you can access your NAS through their gay proprietary web interface

The NSA has back doors into most companies at this point user. Wasnt that called Prism or something?

I'm just saying what OP is describing isn't direct NSA intervention. It's shitty companies that don't care about your privacy that the NSA takes advantage of.

What Is that firmware?

A years ago I've read somethink like a "Linux distro" for a wide variety of router brands, but I don't remember the name of that project.

You can inspect the content assuming it isn't encrypted, but the most likely cause is a heartbeat that will direct you to a page saying the internet isn't working if it's down. Asus routers do something similar on stock firmware.

If concerned, ask Linksys how to turn it off, flash open source firmware, or buy a new router.

> his router doesn't have a watercooling system.

DD-WRT. Thank me later.

Took a Lynksis from a constantly crashing piece of crap for me, to a router that goes YEARS between reboots without issue.

On the topic of routers, all my devices have AC, but I'm using only an N-capable router. But muh internet is 2mbps download capped so no issue there. Is there any other benefit to AC, like range? Power consumption?

>2mbps internet
oof ouch my bones

AC is mandatory two band, the 5ghz range is less but that also means less interference from neighbors. the maximum rate on 2.4ghz will be higher assuming you don't have too much interference. local file transfers to a NAS will be improved too.

it's not like AC routers are terribly expensive - TM-1900AC can be flashed with stock asus firmware to make it an RT-AC68U for less than $60 when it is on sale.

>phones home

stop using references from SHIT tier moves to make you sound cool you fucking loser

>benefit to AC, like range?

Actually, range is NOT a benefit - it's the opposite.

2.4 GHz has a better range than 5 GHz. This is a function of shorter wave-length.

This does vary with routers because the fact that a 2.4 GHz signal will go longer has made some router manufacturers "cheat" by, for example, having three external 5 GHz antennas on the router and three small internal antennas for 2.4 GHz. A lot of older N-routers (that do not have 5 GHz) are better at 2.4 GHz for this reason, they only have external antennas and these are only used for 2.4 GHz (does not apply to those routers who only have internal antennas, obviously).

If you have a laptop with more than one internal WIFI antenna and AC and you copy files to and from a NAS or your desktop computer or similar then AC is totally worth it since you do get much higher transfer speeds as long as you're not too far from the router (I usually just use an Ethernet cable myself since that's even faster). If you're thinking tablets and cellphones then it's not worth it. AC is slightly faster for one stream too but the difference between N and AC on a typical tablet or cellphone is quite small.

Shit, that should be 2 MBps. I.e. plenty for HD streaming.

Tomato, ddwrt and openwrt are some names that come to mind

>open box
>jumps out
>latches on to your face

The correct answer in this thread is that it doesn't and you are lying.

They need remote control over your router in order to provide you an enhanced user experience.

Stick your dick in it.

Why would you buy this router and then not flash OpenWRT or DD-WRT onto it

Holy fuck

I'm not in to that sounding fetish, though I guess that would be the ultimate. Impregnating your bladder.

>If what OP was seeing is the NSA's doing why is phoning home to belkin.com and not NSA?

Because a supreme court judgeds that the NSA can't randomly spy on the American People (due to the 4th amendment) so the NSA wrote a law called CISA ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersecurity_Information_Sharing_Act ) which has some wording that allows companies to sell any information they collect from their users as long as it's an "internet service" (which has no real legal definition, which is why Windows 10 is defined as a internet service) without notifying the users. And it gives the NSA the opurtunity to buy the information. And if the company don't want to sell the information it is easy for the NSA to have a look through because it's a company and there are many ways to get a warrant for ONE company who has all sorts of different users, maybe even some muslims. "We hear you have several guys called 'abdullah' using your services. We have a list here of terrorists under that name... We'll have to look through all your records."

So I got a threadripper build that I don't know what to do with. Should I put pfsense on it?

What, in 2009 when the GL was hot shit? The WRT1900 and 3200 were a nightmare to get even basic DD-WRT functionality on for the longest time, and even now, "stable" builds are still fucky, Linksys was always a just-alright router brand, which got way worse under the Belkin buyout

New ARM-based routers aren't nearly as good as the ones with standard Broadcom/Atheros CPU's, and while a lot has to do with absolutely no drivers to work with (because fuck providing for 3rd party shit) and certain hardware locks, porting a router firmware over to ARM isn't anything even remotely straightforward according to Eko and Kong

It's a Rockbox situation where the best builds are centered around hardware you're going to have to buy used

Most of the Linksys routers I've owned or worked with are utter trash.

>t. r6300v2 owner

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series
Except that WRT1900AC/S have stable releases for OpenWRT, and was advertised as a selling feature for these routers? I have a WRT1900ACS at home running OpenWRT fine, the only issue was with WiFi drivers dropping out but even that got fixed.

I'll concede that ARM support is a shitshow in most cases though. And even support for this series of routers was hit or miss in the beginning because Linksys/Belkin wouldn't release source code for the Maxwell WiFi adapters they were using.

If you need to use that shit router, just flash something on it, fuck the original firmware, most are shit anyways

have a look at this

Is that router bad?
My roommate is leaving and he might take that exact router.
Should we get rid of it?

You know that picture titled "Sup Forums designs a car?" OpenWRT is that car, if a router doesn't work with Shibby Tomato or DD-WRT, then the OpenWRT solution is going to be an absolute pain in the ass in terms of stability, I'd sooner choose Gargoyle over OpenWRT for newer routers. The fact that there was bitching and moaning over the addition of a GUI being a horrible idea in it's early days should give you a hint as to who OpenWRT targets

Sell it to someone who absolutely has to have a router that looks like a 54G and buy a used C5 or C7. You could also probably find an E2000 or E3200 for cheap now too, and those are excellent routers for 3rd-party firmware, but if you're going for wifi mostly, the C5 and C7 are the best, since Atheros > Broadcom in terms of performance, and you can also use "illegal" channels if you're in a sea of retards using 2.4Ghz on channel 6

never get belkin!
their products are inferior
they breakdown in a matter of months

>.exe on router
What are you doing here?

What's your opinion of LEDE?

So this one is ok?
All inside is WiFi in my house.

He misses his mommy

Triggered. My r7000 on current ddwrt Kong branch has always been damn good.

Are the comments indicating what revision it is? Newer routers work better, since earlier models use a 5Ghz add-on card instead of a native 5Ghz radio, which has spottier support

>Not using OpenWRT

>is on Sup Forums
>hasn't installed dd-wrt or tomato on his router

Gentoo is a meme, dd-wrt is a requirement.

waste

the other issue is that if it was made after june of 2016 the FCC dropped the transmit power on most 5G channels

>dd-wrt is a requirement.
dd-wrt is pretty much dead.

anyone who bought one of those is a sucker.