You may only post in this topic if your country is older than the oldest State

You may only post in this topic if your country is older than the oldest State.

Not so fast, most of Europe!

Sure, Europe has loads of countries that weren't independent until the 1900s. But Europe also has countries of whose age cannot be determined, as they've been around for so fucking long.

What's your point, 'murica? None of us were alive back then, we can't take personal pride in that.

A good thread would be a thread where only recently established countries anons could post. That kind of thread would have a real point, not just "herp derp Europe I'm 'muricaaaa I am old too!!!"

We were there since the beginning.

You shouldnt be able to post then.

>year of founding as a distinct/continous political entity
1581 it is

>mfw you have caught me in quite a conundrum so I will reply to you only with a smug anime girl

927 bruv, say suttin

>WW2 doesn't count

I thought the war started in 1568? Shouldnt it start there?

Its not because we were occupied that we vanished out of existence, we were there since 481 or 987 depending on what you think is the true start of France.

Finland is not a real country it was formed less than 200 years ago before then it was sparsely populated by inbred Mongolians who routinely took Swedish cock up the ass and mouth, but occasionally the vagina. You will not find a building in Finland older than 200 years that was not built by Swedes, but more likely you will not find one at all. Finland is the equivalent of finding a chunk of land in Europe that no one had yet made use of. It's as if the English had only landed on the coast of the US and stayed there developing only along the coastline, then centuries later, in the 20th century, the natives suddenly decided to mobilize into a first world country thanks to a stunning development in indestructible mobile fax machines. This truth has been ignored by modern Finnish historians in an attempt to drum up patriotic support for the Finnish cause, when in reality Finland does not exist as a real country. The mass delusion cannot be broken so when confronted with the truth Finns will remind you that history does not matter, despite history being an important part of every other country's cultural identity. Sadly, this state of affairs will continue until Finland collapses under the weight of its own ignored non-existence. The Finns will not be remembered, as they decided history was not important and that none of them were alive back then to matter anyways. Sadly, no one will write any history books on them either.

A country is as old as its current system of government

geography is based on regions, not 'countries'.

No need to try and do things with states, the united states is the oldest country in the world, everyone else has had revolutions or have created new constitutions which re-founded them in one way or another. Our system of government is the oldest one currently running on the scale of a nation.

t.1139

>A country is as old as its current system of government.
Once again, if Americans arent first in what is supposed to be a basic thing, they will try and find a bullshit reason as to why they were first and all the others are actually shams. How vanity do you need in life to get through this?

Actually what's really important is the continuous existence of a law making body, for that I think Britain and Iceland take tops, maybe.

However Virginia's General Assembly will still be older than most of Europe's law making bodies due to all the revolutions on the continental side, and probably the United States itself too will be older.

However it's also important to consider many countries have identities that span past the government, making them older in the sense of a unified identity, so it all depends on the metric you use.

tfw 5000 years old

>the united states is the oldest country in the world

>TFW france has been 5 republics, two empires, two dictatorships, and a monarchy, all in the time that you have been free

Is this supposed to be difficult?

Actually it would be 2 monarchy since the one from 1815 to 1830 and the one from 1830 to 1848 were really different.

We don't have a concept of banter, so in order to prove ourselves superior we must develop as many ways possible to prove we're number 1

you arent even 50 years old portugal

unfortunatly brazil is even younger, it would have made for some fine banter

>so it all depends on the metric you use.
it's an ''everything comes down to semantics episode''

That is our banter

Ah, I suppose this some of that fine "freedom logic" I heard about. Sorry I didn't pick up on that.
And never forget that you are a very, very special boy!

But a sense of identity is not a legal entity.

its like iranians claiming to be persian or something

>his country didn't exist before year 1000
do you even know what history is, young one?

>ur not even 8yo since u cahnged presidnt in 2008

Boleslaw came close to failing at history then.

we were christianised in 966 (Mieszko I was the ruler)

the state existed long before that.

president is just an office, like a spark plug. We are running on the same engine as we have been for over 200 years.

We manage this because our constitution was divinely inspired and our country is guided by god.

What other nations besides Iran and China automatically win the "oldest unified nation" tournament?

>his country doesn't even exist in its original location

Japan maybe

how so?
we expanded westward and lost some land to the east
but the core of Poland is ours

mt athos is the oldest geopolitical entity. It runs off of its original medieval charter to this day
and no girls are allowed

The dick is always the hottest part of the body.

Florida is a hot shithole lmao

Our armies rode from Asia to Europe around the 600's first, pillaged, murdered and raped, we were especially fond of christians and churches where they conveniently hoarded their gold for us to take. From Italy to even France, nowhere were people save from the arrows of Hungarians. Austrian priests even made up a prayer, but their god did not hear their pleas, we raided and executed them mercilessly.

Around 800's the rest of our people entered the Carpathian basin, and made it our home. We call this Honfoglalás - literally, Conquering of a home. In 1000 A.D some dude called Stepen I. the Holy thought we've had enough fun, it was time to convert to christianity ourselves. Probably because we royally pissed off everyone in Europe with our murderous ways and they were massing against us. He thought reaching out to the Pope, converting would appease them, and this way our country would last unlike people before us who came here (he wasn't entirely wrong).

Over time we melded with the local populations and became white. We still kept our chink culture and language though.

>geography is based on regions, not 'countries'.
nah, it's based on cultures

never forget

I wish France would sell us their entire country for a penny just like old times

my house is twice as old as the united states
kek

Well OP hasn't exactly laid out the rules here.
OP seems to be counting subdivisions of a country rather then the country itself, in which case the Bishopric of Utrecht (1024) could be considered the oldest part of the country in some sense.

Even then we could go back further to the earliest resemblance of what our borders look like now, being Lower Lorraine in the late 10th century.

Hell, we could even start at the Frisian Kingdom (600), as it could be seen as the earliest form of a unified realm in the area that is now the netherlands.

The first city the recieve some kind of official standing would be Nijmegen, receiving city rights from the romans in 98 AD.

I could keep going like this for a while, the point is that this all comes down to semantics, i think it's next to impossible to determine exactly how old or even what a ''country'' is in a historical context.

The years given are when they obtained some form of self governance as a distinct/continuous political entity

For example all original 13 colonies have the date they were chartered and their identity as states is just a continued existence of that, as they kept their governments and territories.

Hawaii is listed twice as while it obtained a distinct political identity in 1795 it's not continuous as its current form of government was established in 1894.

Well that's why you die in heat waves.

Our first form of a political entity was created between the High and the Low Middle Ages, when Burgundians got more and more territories.

>The years given are when they obtained some form of self governance as a distinct/continuous political entity
On what level of governance are we talking? this is why i brought up the subdivision and a city, because you don't seem to mean a country per se, just a part of the country

>all original 13 colonies have the date they were chartered and their identity as states is just a continued existence of that, as they kept their governments and territories.
So current constitutions don't matter? If they do than the US is still older than most European countries, but the 13 colonies obviously had a different constitution than the current US.
And if they don't and we're just talking about identity than European countries are obviously older.

You dipshit every single rendition of Poland shared the same core area

european clay has value