/tpg/ - Thinkpad General, Aftermod edition

Previous thread: ---
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended old models:
X200, W500

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768x1366, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900x1600, easy to obtain, ideal size, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable after Coreboot flash
T520 - 15", 1080p, Quadcore-CPUs
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM possible, USB 3.0

Last good models:
X230 - 12", USB 3.0, IPS option avaiable, classic keyboard installable
T440p - 14", last ThinkPad to have replacable CPUs, 1080p IPS displays avaiable
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard), great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440s_hmm_en_sp40a25360_01.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for ips t440p best pad

Okay, Pajeet.

First for best Thinkpad--- The X200!

why isn't there a macbook general

Those are exclusive to Reddit

Because Macbook's are made out of riboflavin.

t. pajeet

There's been a friendly apple general a few times, but they die pretty quickly

Self respecting Sup Forumsentoomen don't buy Apple products.

Got the trackpad today. Should get the thinkpad tomorrow.

Thinking about buying my first 4:3 Thinkpad. Is the T61 my only option? Also is there a difference from the T61p?

From my last post
Please help friends
>Install KDE
Why and what would make it better?

Wallpapers? I know you have another one or so like that, share please? ovo all good if you don't wanna

Just bought a T440p/i5 4210M/GT 730m for 280 eurobucks, and a 1080 IPS screen for other 50 euroshills.

Now the ebayer said that it was in rough conditions, I just hope it's not fucking destroyed, the insertion was the lowest I could find for a T440p with a dGPU for my discrete gaming necessities.

I've contacted some chinks on Alibaba to see if I can get my hands on a cheap i7 4800MQ, as on the normal market I can only find them for over 150€ and that's way over my budget.

The battery the T440p comes with is a 6cell, probably degradated, what should I upgrade it with?

I finally got my first ThinkPad T430, It has installed windows 7 with lots of installed shit like norton av and some crap, can I fresh install windows 10 or windows 7 without trouble? or I need to do something beforehand ??

>57w quad core + dgpu
ayy lmao

Cute pic, sure. What sizes?

Guys will you help me take apart my Thinkpad tomorrow?

I need to remove the lcd and take it apart enough to change the trackpad, keyboard, add ram, and an ssd sata 3.

What model?

T440s, my first Thinkpad!

I don't have the lcd yet either. On its way from China.

Yeah it will either heat up like crazy and discharge the battery in 10 minutes, but I guess I'm up to try it

This: download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440s_hmm_en_sp40a25360_01.pdf
should be useful, it's the hardware maintenance manual that gives a step by step guide for dismantling basically everything on your Thinkpad

I'm with that processor right now, here's my setup and despite the "47W" label this thing hovers around 57W when turbo boosting all cores at 3.5GHz.

The good thing is that it sustains 3.5GHz on all cores on Prime95 without throttling at 75-85c so it's pretty good for me. This is with the iGPU heatsink and HD4600 only.

>There are people unironically using this shit
>youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg

Thanks but that is the second edition. I already found the fifth.

Tell your friend im interested in a t500 screen
I don't have the time to fuck around on your shitty irc
thank

user freetards aren't people

ah alright, good luck with your thinkpad!

Thanks user.

>recommending anything from the xx20 series instead of the xx30 with a keyboard swap

>recommending Coreboot flash on a T420

You can really tell the person writing the OP doesn't actually own any ThinkPads and just parrots garbage Sup Forums tells him that they haven't tested themselves.

That's because most processors' rated TDP is an average, and nearly all of them will go +10W when actually boosted or overclocked.

35W goes to 45W
45W goes to 55W
55W gives you third degree burns, or forces you to cash out your insurance policy.

Is there actually a benefit to a 90 watt charger or did I waste money for two minutes faster charging?

The speed up is proportional to the wattage generally.

reminder that TDP has literally nothing to do with actual power consumption. it's nothing more than a guideline for cooling design.

They tend to be closely related nonetheless.

>35W of power == 35W of heat
Yeah it's just a coincidence...

Does anyone solar power their Thinkpad?

Lol, how polite. I think he just ran out, sorry!

Things like media buttons are standardized, you just need to set them up in your DE to send the appropriate signals to programs.
Fingerprint reader is fprintd and libpam-fprintd, then register your fingerprint with fprintd-enroll (or fprint-enroll, i forgot).
Not sure what you mean by battery drivers, that should work out of the box, at least it does for me in Debian on my T420. If you want better battery life you should install tlp, but you might have to disable/tweak the wi-fi power management. At least for me that didn't work well OOB.
You shouldn't need anything else for it, its best features are in the hardware.

yes!

Did you steal this from a 5-story office building and jump out the window landing on it?

you furry motherfucker
do it

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express!

Honestly it was $103 shipped on eBay and I'm putting $400 into it to get it to my liking. The seller has multiple Thinkpads in the same condition, missing keyboards, some broken screens. One had all the ports missing, like usb missing. Where did they go? It's a mystery.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOO FCKING FAGGOTS
JST GOT A NEW T470p from work and it FEEL SO MUCH FCKING BETTER than my X230

SERIUSLY, who's spreading all those stupid
>muh build quality
MEMES?
it literally shit on x230 on every aspect
LAMAAAAO STUPID NUIGGERRSSS

Well, I guess I could just deactivate the dGPU if it gets that hot, though I think on Linux the whole Optimus switcheroo-on-the-run doesn't really work?

Anyway, that's supposing I can get the i7, one chink has it as used and he could sell it for 35$ - he does wholesales though, have to get lucky I guess - but still it kinda stinks, it's probably like half burnt.
Still worth a try, otherwise I'll stay with the i5 until I have enough money to get the i7.

>this shitty pasta again

>On its way from China
ayy same as the smol 32gb ssd i bought for my qt x60

>ayy same as the smol 32gb ssd i bought for my qt x60

How long have you been waiting?

like six days so i still have 24 more

>suffering

>wattlet
I have a 190 watt charger
:^)

I thought a 32GB SSD would be very small but after testing the same amount of storage in a VM is quite fine for a shitposting mean meme machine, even with Winshit.

the 1920x1080 version is over 4mb, too big for Sup Forums, woops

Proofs?

What would be the point? I bought a 250gb Samsung Evo for $93 from Newegg. Fast enough to saturate SATA 3. If you are going 32gb, then just use a USB drive.

Where can I obtain plastic case with same texture as ThinkPad cases?

I want to make a small hobby electronics project and encase it in a ThinkPad-like matte black plastic box.

The ones I could find (Hammond, OKW, Bud) had glossy, cheap-looking finish that I did not like.

WIth Winshit 10 you have about 12GB left, that's not enough if you're actually using it..

>What would be the point?
Spend the bare minimum while being capable of maxing SATA2 (x60) sequential read speed.

>I bought a 250gb Samsung Evo for $93 from Newegg.
I wouldn't want to spend $90 + another ~$90 in shipping + import fees (not burger) instead of just getting a cheap chink sdd for $15 that'll do the job and maybe die in a year while having no valuable data in it.

My install of W7 with a browser and some other shit is only ~8GB but i don't think i'll use Windows on this X60 anyway.

Why did they give you one without the Spanish keyboard? My work T460 has the ñ and regular sized Enter (ie not tiny like in US keyboards). The Latin American layout is pretty good for programming imo, all the most used symbols are readily accessible.

Seriously, is he fucking interested or not?

any got xp with chinkpad x62 or t70?

Why not just buy a broken Thinkpad and take the case?

>not burger
I'm so sorry.

Even the smallest ThinkPad is too big for my project.

>I'm so sorry.
Eh the only downside here is not getting cheap tech, everything else is fucking great so i don't mind. Any ISP who started datacaps here would be bankrupt the next day and ISPs don't give a shit even if you host thepiratebay with your home connection.

I'd like some cheap tech once in a while though.

Use plastidip spray to paint it. You can find it in auto parts store.

>I'd like some cheap tech once in a while though.
That's only because of your high import fees and taxes.

You speak like a nigger who don't know what he buy and faggot pigeon so stfu

Indeed but still somewhat mitigated by the based chinks selling you nuclear missiles declared as "$5 phone adapter" skipping import fees. Free shipping worldwide is a blessing from the chinks.

Why so many threads

because so many thinkpads

There is only one official one.
The rest are imposters who must confess their sins.

CONFESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugly priest

so the t430 and x230 cant take non-genuine batteries?

my t530 took one just fine

Here is your thread:

considering buying a T460s from a pawn shop - in excellent condition but it has some Macafee disk encryption crap on it that has it locked up, saying "it's been over 90 days since last update, please give your sys admin this code, and he will give you a new code to allow access" - can I just go into the BIOS and do a system restore? I checked the BIOS and there is no password set or administrator lock - just the Macafee crap. Don't want to waste $400 if I can't get rid of the Macafee software and just do a system restore.

And in b4 "give it back, Tyrone"

the absolute state of Sup Forums in 2017
holy shit

Just wipe the drive and fresh install gentoo.

Also interested in this. Thinking very hard about buying an x62.

Dude, you must be joking me. You can literally just erase the fucking disk and that's it.

thanks for all the (you)s.....

just checking guise - I figured it would be a pretty easy wipe and fresh install. now, the big question....is the core i7 6600 with 12gb RAM and undertermined (probably 512gb) SSD drive in excellent cosmetic condition worth $400 american dollars?

>core 6600 for $400
sure i mean it has a fucking desktop processor why not

Jesus, where can I get pawn shops like that? That shit is probably worth 700 american burguers, wtf, BUY IT.

>probably 512gb
I doubt this. More likely 128gb.

woops i meant 170w
its almost the same size as a ti83+

Oup sorry for the late (you) but i would say 1600x900 if you have that and the 1920x1080, of your don't have it or is too much work though you don't have to share it, ill take this one already posted ouo

Thank you very very much

That's a beefy charger. Looks like they go for like $50-60 on eBay. My 90 watt was only $25.50.

Gonna be switching out a screen for my X220T. wish me luck

>fell for the "quality tools" of iFixit meme
jeez

>So dumb to detect bait
La compre afuera, no es del trabajo. Por eso no tiene ñ

Hmmm that's quite expensive maybe i should stop throwing it around.
My t540p has a i7-4700mq so it's quite power hungry

>That's a beefy charger
4u

meh. They're okay. I honestly needed a decent precision scew set and I was modding gameboys at the time so this was a good choice since it had some proprietary nintendo screw bits.

>americans failing for the ifix kit
it's not like you can go to a grocey store and buy a german made precicion screw set for 10 euros.

Forgot pic

There is some german company selling refurbished thinkpads on ebay. They have plenty of t420. Is it a good idea to buy a refurbished one?

>2017
>not having Wiha engineers on call to handcraft you tools

Yup, but try to find a good deal on auctions. Bought my T420 there.

>refurbished
Meaning they see if it turns on, sprayed it with glass cleaner, then boxed it.

>day 37 of waiting on restocks