/mpv/ - the Sup Forumsreatest media player

Windows Builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable GUI installer: bitbucket.org/rorgoroth/mingw-w64-cmake/downloads/
Windows Vapoursynth: jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/
Dev Snapshots: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files
WIP Vulkan-R2: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/Test/
WIP ra_d3d11 by rossy: files.jrg.systems/mpv-d3d11-x86_64-20171012-git-e272dcc.7z

Wiki:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki

Manual:
Git: mpv.io/manual/master/
Stable: mpv.io/manual/stable/

User Scripts (including opengl shaders):
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
Git: profile=gpu-hq
Stable: profile=opengl-hq
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-auto
send.firefox.com/download/8d5dd8acd6/#z89BUkqPHQXK-O9zJmoKDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My WiFi router runs Linux. How do I install mpv on it?

>are you using it at its native resolution?
Yes. Native res and refresh rate.

Mplayer masterrace

Can you fucking remove all that unecessary shit in the op and just have a link to the manual?

Gentoo user here. Out of curiosity I wanted to check if some of the compile options I used to build mpv were useful or not, so I wrote a simple python script to benchmark how fast I can reproduce random video clips.
I exported the 5 clips in pic related, all around one minute lenght, their filenames give more info about codecs and resolution.
Using gcc 6.4.0, mpv-git and ffmpeg 3.3.4, First I checked the speed with fairly standard, baseline compile options (-O2 -mtune=generic), on my system (i5-4670k, gtx780,fhd display) it took 100s to blast through the clips.
Then I tried many many different compile options but the only ones which had relevant results were:
- enabling the correct cpu flags so that ffmpeg can use its architecture-specific optimized assembly code brought the time down to 80s
- enabling lto lowered it a bit more, to 78s
So a 28% speedup overall, looking at the individual clip results the h265 clips gained the most with a 50% performance increase on the revenant clip.
So if you are a gentoo user or you like to build mpv from source, make sure you are configuring ffmpeg to make full use of the instruction set of your cpu and if you feel like it add lto too.

>tfw too stupid to build from source

How do I hide this shitty general?

you can hide it by going to a website you actually know how to use

How can I retroactively check if ffmpeg was compiled with a certain march/mtune? It is not contained in the options printed by ffmpeg itself but my package manager rewrites compiler invocations itself, so no idea what it inserted/removed.

screenshot-template=~/pictures/mpv/vlcsnap-%tG-%tm-%td-%tkh%tMm%tSs%wT

Very devious, user

Gentoo user here, you can run
ffmpeg -buildconf
The configuration section would have what you're looking for.

I do this sometimes.

How is this better than MPC-HC?

Plug and play, faster and high quality even easier to use than mpc-hc.

At first I used mpc-hc too but I ran into a lot of problem with windows 10, switched to mpv and run smooth like butter since then

You surely mean mpc-hc+madvr+xyfilter because mpc-hc on its own is a garbage video player barely better than vlc. To answer your question it has incredibly active development, it's cross platform, it has more high quality rendering options than madVR, it has custom shader support, and it's FOSS, so when madshi gets hit by a bus you're not stuck with whatever he finished doing with madVR.

>still no subtitle downloader
hard pass

even MXPlayer has a subtitle downloader now

Incorrect. There are user scripts for that.

mpv {1..10}*

If DS without audio causes the video to play too fast, then DS with audio will make it stutter like fucking crazy. Are you blind or do you just not see that?

And if you're a non-gentoo user you don't need to go through all that effort because the generic ffmpeg binaries already compile in all of the platform-specific assembly and dispatch the correct one at runtime. Seriously, why even fucking bother?

>The configuration section
Did you not notice this part?
>It is not contained in the options printed by ffmpeg itself but my package manager rewrites compiler invocations itself

Restarted a few hours ago and Windows installed KB4041676 and now whenever I fullscreen using Vulkan I get put to 50Hz refresh rate. Anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

Disable the power saving feature?

No, but I'm using Linux.

Which one? I've disabled everything that I know of and can't find any other option that sounds like it would cause this.

I assume you're using Intel Graphics so go into the control panel for that.

Nope AMD 290X although I'm using an intel CPU if that matters.

Dunno then sorry

Hmm....

I installed nvidia drivers and now it looks like shit if its not fullsize. like the framerate doesn't sync with refresh

how do i force a subtitle/srt to display ontop of the video, not on the black bars? tried sub-use-margin=no, but it didnt work.

sub-use-margins=no

ohhhh, i see my mistake. sorry.

so -march=native -mtune=native ?

how the fuck do i use this thing with windows for things other than playing the video directly on the program?
for example how do i load .srt files?

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-sub-auto

yeah, i'll need a little of spoonfeeding, i type those commands on the cmd right?

'exact' is on by default, meaning subtitle files with the same name, like;
video s01e01.mkv
video s01e01.srt
will work, though if you have something like;
video s01e01 [fre].srt
then you'll either need to rename it, or try 'fuzzy' matching, meaning it will also pick approximate names
you set this either on the command line with;
mpv --sub-auto=fuzzy ...
or in the default section of mpv.conf as;
sub-auto=fuzzy

Pretty sure he means the CPU_FLAGS

I'm on a fresh Windows install. Are there any Nvidia settings that could potentially fuck with mpv?

Downloaded vulkan-R2 and vulkan is enabled by default? Is this ok with it?

profile=opengl-hq
opengl-shaders="~~/adaptive-sharpen.glsl"
video-sync=display-resample

Help pls I'm a retard

>vulkan is enabled by default
no

gpu-api=vulkan

CFLAGS="-mtune=native -march=native -O2 -pipe"

That's true, in this case compiling the package yourself has close to no advantage. But for those who do, I just wanted to remind what options actually matter.

Yes, O meant something like CPU_FLAGS_X86="avx avx2 etc." in the make.conf, -march=native made close to 0 difference in my case.

Power options. Set to adaptive.

Oh, and also anything that (((improves))) video quality.

like edge enhancement and noise reduction or just setting the dynamic range to 0-255?

s p o o k y

>like edge enhancement and noise reduction
Yes.
>or just setting the dynamic range to 0-255
Do this too.

seems like bad idea to use driver edge enhancement and noise reduction instead of mpv shaders

Thats what im talking about.

No. You need:
gpu-api=vulkan
profile=gpu-hq

for Vulkan and:
gpu-api=d3d11
profile=gpu-hq

For rossy DX11/12 (Not sure if those test builds have both).

your post is confusing because you seem to be implying to make all those changes and aren't specifying what should and shouldn't be done

im going to assuming setting to adaptive and changing the dynamic range are what should be done

Set power options to adaptive. Disable all image and color enhancements. Set dynamic range to 0-255.

>Set dynamic range to 0-255.
for this to work you need to set video color settings to make color adjustments with nvidia settings and not with the video player settings right?

You might have to change this too

that's the one i was asking about, thanks

/quadro/

Don't. Let mpv do everything.

Thanks m8

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

mpv noob here, what should I do to enjoy my weeb cartoons properly?

Linux, can compile if need be running on a E5-2686v3 with GTX1080

currently I'm using Argon-'s mpv config and don't know where to start from

That one looks the best to me.

>currently I'm using Argon-'s mpv config
retard

>currently I'm using Argon-'s mpv config and don't know where to start from

Don't use or copy anyone's config, build your own up as you need to or you just end up having problems and because you copied random shit like a retard you waste others time trying to fix your own mess.

Obviously the best of the 4; that's why it's listed in the manual as the one to use if you can use it.

where would I start?

the ringing in ewa_lanczossharp is fucking horrendous compared to GIMP tho

I was comparing VLC and MPV's video quality just now and noticed that the VLC screenshots and player had weird vertical lines all over the images. Turning deinterlacing on and off had no effect.
Pic is screenshots of the same timestamp of the same video file (top is MPV and bottom is VLC)
Does anyone know what would cause a video player to do this?

Am I missing something? That's what the manual says for 4/4, not 3/4

try sigmoid-upscaling=no

I linked to 4/4. 3/4 has even more ringing than 4/4, and 2/4 is a more blurred version of 3/4. There's other variants of ewa_* if you prefer less ringing, from haasnsoft to 4/4.

Oh I see, my mistake, I thought you were replying to

Now add SSSR

SSSR works like shit on low res. Will turn it into literal oil painting.

Wrong

Sure, igv, sure.

1080p content up-scaling to 4k. I like Sinc and Nearest but I may be using the settings wrong (listed below).
send.firefox.com/download/8d5dd8acd6/#z89BUkqPHQXK-O9zJmoKDA

Also how do I reduce judder/sync up the playback better with the monitor? Interpolation isn't smooth enough for my taste.

#mpv 0.27.0-123-g584edbc360-dirty (C) 2000-2017 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
# built on Sun Oct 8 04:58:31 UTC 2017

fullscreen
gpu-api=vulkan
interpolation
ontop
profile=gpu-hq
scale=sinc
video-sync=display-resample
screenshot-format=png
screenshot-directory=C:\testing\
start=+56
pause

Why can't MPV auto update on windows?

Guess the link expired, and I'm not sure where I can share a 239MB file (shows all the scale methods in comparison)

It can, there's an updater script that you can add to the task scheduler, which is bundled with the Windows builds by shinchiro.

>scale=sinc
Are you retarded or something?
>Also how do I reduce judder/sync up the playback better with the monitor?
You don't. There should be zero judder with your interpolation settings. Check if it is actually working.

lachs0r vs shinchiro
which one is better? I am using lachs0r builds.

Neither is "Better"
lachs0r is a more minimal build
shinchiro comes with some handy scripts

shinchiro updates every week. lachs0r every few months.

hmm thanks

>I like Sinc and Nearest

dude, it downloads youtube-dl every time I run the update script. How do I stop this madness?
And thanks, I have added it to the task scheduler.

Just by looking at what images I have taken of it, Sinc looks good for my setup. It's that or Nearest. Explain to me why I shouldn't be using Sinc and give me an alternative to make the output sharper as every other scale option I tested looks worse. Also I wouldn't bring up judder as being an issue if it worked. Nothing in your post is helpful.

>dude, it downloads youtube-dl every time I run the update script. How do I stop this madness?
It only downloads youtube-dl if there's an update, if you don't want it to update just remove the code from the script

nigga I ran it twice and it downloaded it two times.

Running script without administrator privileges
Checking Windows PowerShell version -- 5
Fetching RSS feed for mpv
You are already using latest mpv build -- mpv-x86_64-20171007-git-9c806bc.7z
Fetching RSS feed for youtube-dl
You are already using latest youtube-dl -- 2017.10.12
Operation completed