Debian

What makes this more "advanced" than Ubuntu? Everything is literally the same except more vanilla.

Other urls found in this thread:

simpledesktops.com/browse/desktops/2015/may/10/escape-velocity/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Everything is literally the same except more vanilla.
You literally described how it's more advanced.

Vanilla > Shit other flavors

can I have that wallpaper?

It's also not really. There's not actually anything you can do in debian that you can't in ubuntu.
Just regular Sup Forums retardation.

simpledesktops.com/browse/desktops/2015/may/10/escape-velocity/

Nothing I don't understand why that is a meme. If you have used linux at all then debian isn't difficult at all.

>advanced
no

>Linux-Libre and only free software by default
>nonfree repos disabled by default
>no GUI to download packages or manage repos (except Synaptic. But even that is harder to use than Ubuntu's Software Store and PPA manager)
>only stable, non-changing packages by default
>default configs are different and, in certain packages, change the experience entirely (for instance LightDM and GNOME)
>Canonical does try to make it as user-friendly as possible (look at the GNOME customizations they're doing)
>figuring out what .iso to download is harder
>the installer is less straight forward
>Debian doesn't come with stuff such as .rar compatibility or nonfree codecs
>you might have to RTFM or the Debian Wiki to figure out certain things
>default programs are different (Ubuntu used to bundle Evolution or Thunderbird IIRC, while Debian bundled Mutt)
>most nonfree software distributed online, as well as most guides, will be tailored specifically to Ubuntu
>no PPA (which is a good thing for everyone except noobs. God knows how many of my Ubuntu installs got fucked thanks to PPA shenanigans and dependency hell)
And so much more. Granted, Debian is the superior distribution, but Ubuntu does offer an easier UX out of the box.

apparmor + hardened kernel

apt doesn't need a gui and gdebi exists

Vanilla is the worst flavour you autist

The only thing that matters from that list is how Ubuntu kicks the living fuck out of all distros with the PPA system, not even fedora can match it.
The distro wars have already been fought and won by canonical, purely on the packaging system.

Should have installed Fedora™

You know what's funny? I'm a Linux admin, and I never touch Linux with a GUI running. It's always servers and CLI. The only time I touch anything close to a GUI is installing web interface management systems for certain suites of software, like GitLab for projects in house. I don't even know shit about the graphical subsystems and drivers and shit on *nix because of this. All I know is nVidia drivers on *nix are shit.

I actually use Windows 10 on my workstations. Does it suck and is the NSA's spy tool? Yeah, probably. But, gosh darnit, it makes life simple and works easily most of the time. I am building a new Threadripper rig this Black Friday. I'm considering running Debian on it, or maybe Ubuntu if I feel the need. PCI-e passthrough, once working well on Threadripper, might sway me to leave Microshit in the dust as my main OS. We'll see.

Ubuntu > Debian, because Ub's font rendering is superior

>this more "advanced" than Ubuntu?

where you get that stupid meme from?

Ubuntu is the "more advanced" debian if anything.

How do I purge Ubuntu of botnet

>not even fedora can match it

Except that's wrong. You can enable third-party repos that are just like PPAs and 90% of the time you do it by downloading a rpm, double clicking it in the download location, enter admin password, and update repos (the newbie method), or from cli: sudo rpm -i blahblah.rpm, enter password, sudo yum update.

Every bit as simple as a PPA. Canonical hasn't "won" shit. Red Hat does more upstream development than canonical, and RHEL is far better than Ubuntu server. If Red Hat (and thus fedora) disappeared tomorrow, Canonical would be fucked because they'd have to split their developers between Ubuntu stability and picking up the huge chunk of GNU+Linux stability from the sudden loss of almost all of the professional developers making upstream contributions.

I bet you like rocky road, you fag.

>It's also not really. There's not actually anything you can do in debian that you can't in ubuntu.
That's sounds like an argument in favor of Debian

Have you tried Paludis? Install Exherbo. Or Gentoo, at least.

>discord
Fuck you, Ryan.

Birthday cake is unironically, objectively the best flavor. Literally the logical conclusion of the medium.

It's literally the same thing but the difference is when they freeze packages. Maybe because Ubuntu offers better out of the box experience but that's it.

>amerifats naming flavours
Rocky Road, Birthday Cake, Burger, Pizza

>normal people naming flavours
Blueberry, Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Mint

the absolute state of America

Spotted the illiterate ameridumb

Then install Ubuntu, that way you won't have any issues with drivers.

I switched due to bloat desu.