/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[Youtube]
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4Gb 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMtvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/z673LD
pcpartpicker.com/list/qJFN8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/vsb94C
pcpartpicker.com/list/W6cnPs
youtube.com/watch?v=t2nFpUeB9eM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does it matter much which brand I get with the Z370?

Personally I'd say no, but everyone has their preferences. Really the cheapest one will do.

already have 3k ddr4 in mate

>cheaping out on mobo

why would you do this

How hard it is to assemble a PC for a noob and clumsy?

I'm looking to upgrade my current video card (GTX 770), but I'm torn.

I hear great things about the GTX 1060 6GB, and that it's a good card for ~250$, but I'm also very tempted to just go all out and get a 1080.

It seems like we're reaching a stand still on PC game graphic requirements, and just getting the 1080 will mean I won't need an upgrade for a long time.

I currently have dual 1080p monitors and don't plan on upgrading those anytime soon. Also the main game I'm seeing FPS drops on is GW2, especially in zergs (not sure if my video card is even the bottleneck here), and PUBG.

As long as you have a half decent case to work in, it's a breeze.

Buy a motherboard for the features you want
Usually cheaper motherboards just have less features but if something is wrong with power phases you're fucked

What processor do you have?
Honestly, if you're staying at 1080p for the foreseeable future, I'd say grab a 1070/VEGA 56 and nothing less.

>skylake x in op
actual shill detected

i5-4670, 3.40ghz 4 core

I just looked up a couple of feature lists for the Asrock and MSI ones. Went with the MSI that costs about $50 more but seems to have better features and I know their brand name

>G4560/G4600
$110 for that shit in my country.
Please kill yourself.

Both brands are probably fine, just buy based off of what ports you want or how the design of the board is mapped out

Haswell is still decently strong. And shouldn't bottleneck anything. So, like I said, go for a 1070 or VEGA 56 and nothing lower. Anything in that range will last you for several years at 1080p.

Frankly I have no idea about mapping it out

>in my country
You don't matter
Things like M.2 placement can matter because sometimes it's right under the video card, which is a terrible design choice. Other things may be CMOS reset buttons, like on back I/O or on the board for convenience

Ah alright, thanks mate. I will take a look at the prospective cases this weekend and have a think about how its all going to fit in too. The one I went for has 10 power phase, which should be fine if I want to try a little overclocking right?

Probably still better price/performance than anything else you can get

I would get the 1060. After that, you're looking at a monitor upgrade. Possible that your CPU would bottleneck anything faster anyway, and 99% chance your monitors are 60Hz, so you're not trying for extreme framerates.

What is the optimal DDR4 RAM frequency to get with Coffee Lake CPUs?

will I be able to use ripjaws V 3200mhz with Ryzen out of the box without any overclocking?

I've got these cables from the casing, and I can't figure out where to plug them in. The casing's stock fans also are the same kind and I can't find anywhere to plug those into either. You have any idea g?

The i7-7700k is regarded as the best Gaming CPU, but is there a CPU around that price range that's as good for gaming but also really good for other stuff like rendering and other CPU intensive stuff? I've never used AMD CPUs before and I've only heard bad things from them and Intel CPUs, even the weakest ones like Core 2 Duos (except m and Atom fuck that) have been really good for me throughout my life.

pls response

because the most important part is identical and specified by intel/amd
good vrm makes overclocking more possible
everything else is bells and whistles

read the manual

These are the front panel connectors. You should have a few pins somewhere on your board marked with the same things. Try checking the manual.
Fans plug into the 3 -or 4-pin chassis fan headers; check the manual.

should be on the bottom right corner of your mobo
check the manual for exact pin positions

First build coming up. I keep hearing about "standoffs" for the mobo. Do these things come with it in the box or are they a standard thing I'd buy at an electrical store?

ryzen cpus, did you even look at op?

1700X is on sale for $360 on Newegg if you're in the US, you could buy it and a good cooler, overclock to 3.9-4.0GHz and have a good gaming experience and a great rendering experience.

Ryzen CPUs will be (a bit) worse for 1080p gaming, but a lot better for multithreaded.
If you want the same gaming and better multithread you will have to wait for the 8700k to be available.

they are generally included in the case
some cases have them pre-applied (corsair)
they electrically isolate the board from the usually metal case so it doesn't short circuit
where you put them is determined by the board atx, matx, itx ect

Oh wow I just realized 1700X is only $299 on Amazon, only $4 more than the 1700.

Didn't know 8700k was a thing, I'll keep and eye out, thanks.

I'll check this out, thanks for the info.

Dont bother, that thing is a nuclear housefire, and paper launched

Hmm, I guess it's just a question of whether 80$ is worth not just getting a 1080.

>best gaming cpu
hi grandpa, coffin lake is out
Anyways from what you're saying what you're looking for is a Ryzen 7 1700/1700x. Get it, get a corsair AIO, overclock, and render like a boss.

put my new pc together, thanks for the help along the way /pgbg/
keyboard and mouse are fresh as well
r8? any suggestions? can I finally stop?
pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMtvV

Looks good.
Make sure to do things like download drivers and update BIOS but not much else to say

>amd

kys

Does it matter which graphics card manufacturer I get for a particular GPU?

your PSU is pretty overkill
650 or even 500w would've been enough, otherwise all good.
not really. Just pay attention to base clock and the design. More fans/bigger fans is better. Blower design sucks dick

is this shit for fuckin real? just tryin to get after market cpu cooler n wew

>gigabyte/assrock niggers

Have you existed in the default plane of being at all in 2017?
Not really, but getting the cheapest isn't the best idea either

Some cards run quieter or cooler than others. The differences aren't massive though but you should at least avoid the cheapest models.

pcpartpicker.com/list/z673LD

Is something overkill in this? It's going over my budget.

Some factors to consider in terms of importance are:
>price (obivously)
>clock speed
>temps
>pcb/vrm quality
>fan noise
>aftersales support
>aesthetics aka RGB

Are you fucking kidding me

that's something I hadn't done yet. I can still do the usb bios flash update with windows installed right? and what other drivers, audio, lan, chipset?
a little, 750w was the same price as 650 at the time, figured why not - also has a 3 year longer warranty (10 years)

Please.

I saved up for many months for this.

But 750W is gonna consume more power in the long term, so 650W would save more money over the years.

Yeah, you should be able to USB flash
Although you can also update from internet on modern boards
Drivers:
>AMD
>Gefore Experience
>Logitech
>LAN
>Audio
In that case
>7700k
Outdated and expensive
>Kraken X62
Expensive and worse than some tower coolers
>Motherboard
Expensive
>RGB RAM
Also expensive
Get an i5 8400 system, or a Ryzen 1600 system

>Kraken X62
>Expensive and worse than some tower coolers
But I saw some reviews and they were good on YT. What else would you recommend that also looks good?

>Also expensive
Cheapest RGB RAM I could find.

>Get an i5 8400 system, or a Ryzen 1600 system
But I don't want Ryzen and why not i7 8700K?

The X62 looks nice, but that's all AIOs do. Noctua's NH-D15 and NH-D15S outperform them, along with a few other tower coolers, all of which cost a fraction of the fancy AIOs.
The 8700k is
>Not available
>Even more expensive
And you are at your budget's limit. The 8400 will perform great at 1440p and so will Ryzen chips, too. Invest in 3200MHz RAM, too.

>look in motherboard booklet for where these go
>look in case booklit for where they go
>can't find anything

Pls assist where the hell do I find the info for them. There's a couple more on the other side too. Like some of these can fit in multiple slots does it just not matter where I put em?

No, without xmp nothing will run over jedec tating.

Right there at the BOTTOM OF THE FUCKING CASE.

GOD YOU PEOPLE FUCKING PISS ME OFF!

:(

doesn't matter. the real time performance difference between 2133 and 3200 is insignificant.

But I'm not gonna overclock the CPU so I think liquid cooler should do fine? And I do care about the aesthetics a little.

How about this: pcpartpicker.com/list/qJFN8K

This is closer to my budget (budget is right around $2500).

the 8700k isn't going to be worth it. the ryzen 1700s have 2 more cores, are better overclocked, and $100 cheaper as of now.

Hi, I wanted to upgrade my gpu. Currently I'm with this spec:

CPU: i5 4670k
Mobo: z87
Ram: 24GB 1600MHz (2x4+2x8)
GPU: r9 270x toxic 2GB (Sapphire)
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 250GB
HDD: caviar blue 1TB

I was thinking about a new gpu (maybe 1060 6GB?)
I will use it for gaming at 1080p
Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!

If you aren't going to overclock, don't buy a -k series CPU. An 8400 will be more than fine. Also, get a less expensive PSU like 650w or 750w, since you don't need that much power.
Above all, don't buy full price OEM Windows, buy the full version or buy it on Kinguin (legit copies bought in bulk for a big discont so they are only $20 or so).

Thanks!

>shittel housefires
>1000 watt PSU
this guy really wants to start a fire doesn't he

Overpriced Mobo and 7700k is comparable to a KL i3. You do need a high frequency/ipc CPU for a 1440p 144 Hz monitor so either get an 8700k or R7 1700 with high frequency, low latency ram.

Oh, made a build, too.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vsb94C

Oh yeah and oversized PSU.

Would it be stupid to make a case yourself

No, people have done that many times.
However, downsides include dust intake, poor thermals, and being hard to work with.

No point getting an aio for a locked CPU. To get the most out of your monitor you may want to get an unlocked sku and overclock. I don't know if you can reach 144 fps with just the turboboost. You're still buying good ram, so switching to an R7 1700, X370 build would be fine if an 8700K is unavailable.

You make good points.
The goal was to get his build down in cost, so I did that. He said he didn't want Ryzen, so his options would by 8600k or waiting for the 8700k.

Would 8400 not do? And I don't want Ryzen anyway.
For RAM, is 3200 MHz enough?

pcpartpicker.com/list/W6cnPs

>Gold Certified PSU

I heard that you should get like twice the size of PSU that you actually require for maximum efficiency?

Cases are pretty simple to make, it's just a metallic cube with some screw holes here and there. However it's very hard to make a case that has a good layout, looks decent and doesn't restrict airflow. You should start by opening a CAD program and modeling the rough outline of your components there.

The best effiency is around 60-70% mark IIRC, which means ~600W in your case.

So should I wait for the 8700k?

Nothing wrong with Gold certification unless you are made of money, which you aren't.
You would be waiting a long time

>Nothing wrong with Gold certification unless you are made of money, which you aren't.
Platinum certification isn't even that much expensive. What are you talking about?

>1600x
Not really worth it
>960 Evo
Extremely not worth it

>AMD
Pls go away

i didn't see the post, but the 1600x is easily the best 6 core in terms of price to performance. same with the 960 evo, especially the 250gb. nearly the same price as the 850, but significantly faster.

intel shills are the absolute worst.

The 1600x is an overclocked 1600.
The 960 evo is slightly nore expensive at 250GB, I'll give you that, but it is way too much at any other capacity.

alroght if i sit a good 5 feet away from my monitors but really want 144hz is this a good idea? dont tell me to get 24 inches i wouldnt be able to see it drom where i sit at

the 1600x is $20 more than the 1600 with higher stock speed and overclocks better. if your goal is price to performance, the 1600x is the best choice.

its not way too much. 250 is enough space for your boot and games. once again, price to performance is what matters, and the 960 evo wins there.

if you're sitting 5 feet away, you clearly don't care about performance enough to justify getting 144hz. go with a couple of cheaper 27' monitors like the BenQ GW2765HT

No, you're retarded.
The 1600 and 1600x both can overclock from 3.9 to 4.1GHz depending on your luck. The 1600x only comes with higher base clocks.
The 960 Evo loads things within testing margon of error compared to faster SATA drives.

i mean i do care about performance but i dont think a recliner would work well up close to the screen irlt would be rather uncomfortable ans honesly that price is on the low end of what i would consider in the first place

are you fucking retarded

No, this is literally the truth
What point are you trying to make?

>8700k removed again

Shills gonna shill

If you don't mind going used an R9 290 or GTX 970 will do you some good.
If not a 3GB 1060 will serve you well since 6GB models are a bit overpriced.

>reccomending a ryzen cpu for 144 hz gaming

This thread is garbage

Wrong, even 7600k benefits from high speed RAM

youtube.com/watch?v=t2nFpUeB9eM

I was planning to go with something newer than a 290... 1060 3GB and 6GB is about the same price here in Italy, the 6GB is just 40€ more than the 3GB... Is there a difference between the two cards other than the vram?