Better e-reader than kindle paperwhite as same price range?

Looking to buy my first e-reader, but don't know which one to choose. By the way, do I need to jailbreak kindle paperwhite if I get it? Not sure what are the benefits.

Other urls found in this thread:

t.me/joinchat/BG2s7Q9t7jxy2jsZbqps_g
youtube.com/watch?v=rQraY2szjdE
oaxis.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you don't need to jailbreak anything. just download calibre and use it to manage your pirated e-library with your kindle or other e-readers that it supports

That's what I was planning to do, but saw a lot of recommendations to jailbreak it without a reason for it.

maybe jailbreaking it allows you to pirate books directly from amazon or something like that. but there are so many sources for high quality epub ebooks that I don't see the point of messing with it. #bookz on undernet probably has every single book in existence in high quality epub format for every e-reader

Jailbroke mine as soon as I got it, never had any use of it. I'm just getting stuff from bib and boookz and send them by mail via calibre. Just werks.

kobo makes great ereaders,a nd you don't need to jailbreak them. Just use calibre to put your pirated ebooks on it.

I've been using a Kobo Touch for years. No need to jail break it

>send them by mail via calibre
>not via usb cable

>do I need to jailbreak kindle paperwhite
I dont think so, just be sure to turn airplane mode on as soon as you get it so amazon can access your shit.

>Right click send to device
Or
>Picking a USB cable, plug it into the computer, plug it into the reader, right click send to device

dumb frogposter

how often do you even upload books on your ereader? once per week?
ffs.

your probably also put your data "on the cloud"

>so amazon can access your shit.
can *NOT

Guys he made a good point and got two digits posts in a row, you've got no argument here.

>good point
>uh it's uhg.. too much, um, work, heh, uuuhh, to put the, erm, iu ess bee, hehe yes, um, yu ess bee cable, hehe, into , erm heh
nobody needs to upload books onto his ereader more frequently than charge it, therefore he has literally no argument.

>frogposting is okay for any reason

Please see

>This is the state of American education

>#bookz on undernet
Could you collaborate more?

sounds like a warez related irc channel

>#bookz on undernet probably has every single book in existence in high quality epub format for every e-reader
That's completely false. There have been numerous times I was unable to find a certain book there.

ok I'll make a small chart highlighting some differences between a Kobo glo HD and a Kindle Paperwhite

can it read epubs?: kobo:Yes| kindleNo
can it read PDFs?: Yes|No
can you expand storage to put as many books/comic books as you eant?: Yes|No
can you read manga? Yes|Depends(but it'll look shit)
can you plug and move instantly from your PC/laptop? Yes|No
can you go to 0% brightness? Yes|No
can you add custom fonts? Yes|No
can you add multiple dictionaries like Oxford,orban dict...etc for free? Yes|No
.and there's more but that's about right. now after seeing all the NOs on the Kindle why would you ever choose it over a glo HD....oh oh oh oh let me guess, because it has the X-ray feature? MY SIDES go kill yourself in some dirty public toilet already.

I rooted mine the first hour I got it. and trust me when I tell you how much you're missing. I have a 64gb Samsung Evo+ micro SD card on it. it runs just perfect. attached it to my local store server to pick up any new manga volume I want from there to instantly move without the need to even attach a wire.

Is there a site like piratebay that has ebooks on it? I have been looking everywhere

In fairness the ability to add custom dictionaries is only needed on the Kobo's because the default dictionary is complete shit. The Kindles have the full Oxford (although I think you have to pay more for that, can't remember)

...but on that topic, a couple years ago when I got fed up with the default shit dictionary (Marriam iirc) I managed to convert the nice Oxford dictionary that comes with OSX to the kobo format in a few steps. The hacking community around the Kobo's is really great.

>Turning on the wifi, ever

the default dictionaries on the nickel (default kobo system) is pretty small yeah but it does what you need from it most of the time. now i'm talking full big dictionaries for free. ones that can get to 5GB in size combined. not something you can even fit on the default reader's storage, now thankfully i upgraded my glo hd's storage to 64gb so i can put anything i want

I only *need* a dictionary when it's some super obscure word, so having such an abbreviated dictionary is useless for a native English speaker.

I have an H2O v2 now (8GB) so a huge dictionary would be perfect (I don't look at naked drawn Japanese people). Is there a place to get them already formatted to download?

you'll have to have koreader first, now i'm only aware of the glo hd but i don't think it's a big difference between it and the h2o, i'd be glad to help you any time you want though.

the group link (don't worry you're still anonymous): t.me/joinchat/BG2s7Q9t7jxy2jsZbqps_g

Get the latest kobo ( I think the one with 7" high res screen)
Kindles are good but kobo is just better(I have paperwhite currently and havecowned other models),
the older kobo and kindle paperwhite use same screen but kindle had this cool backlight glow and kobo has a much 'warmer' glow and just for that alone you should go with kobo

Piratebay
Google book name +mobilism
Also #ebookz

Are they still on undernet? I remember visiting #ebookz on some highwayIRC or something like that, maybe it was just unrelated to a group on undernet

libgen

man manga looks like fucking garbage on those things, i'm not even gonna try

Yeah, but paperwhite is 120usd and kobo glo hd is 190usd. About the formats and expending storage: ebooks don't take much and do you really need hundreds of them on the device? I don't, so don't see any point adding extra gigabytes. Also checked YouTube and don't really see the difference with mangas, other than kobo glo hd switching the pages slower.

youtube.com/watch?v=rQraY2szjdE

Had a brain fart and forgot to say that the extra formats support also not a big deal in my opinion, because of tools like Calibre.

Looking at MobileRead, it seems the dark (inverse) mode is broken for all devices past the Glo HD. Sucks, I read that way most of the time.

The kobo frontlight colour used to be a complete lottery: some were nice and warm, others really blue.

With the new colour-shifting H2O and One the frontlights are quite uneven (judging by my own and looking at the internets), but the ability to set the white point more than makes up for it.

Kobo hardware is so inconsistent it's basically artisanal.

Extra weird since they're made in Taiwan which you'd think would be a few steps up from China.

This. I wouldn't risk my budget buying another one since my last glo hd died without a reason. Excellent software tho.

Did you check that it wasn't just the SD card that corrupted/failed?

Yeah, and nothing. Looks like my screen is broken, because it has some weird glitches on the cover, and is frozen there since january.

Onyx Boox N96 ML
>9.7inch screen
>16 GB onboard storage
>micro SD card
>android 4
>load apps to make it more than e-reader
>speaker
>microphone
>3.5mm jack
>PDF, DJVU, EPUB, MOBI, CBR, CBZ
>annotate books with stylus and export them
>front light

Why haven't you taken the BOOX pill yet?

What does this thing cost?

More than a kindle. I got mine + a case for $350.

if you want all the english-english huge dictionaries that'll be 5gb, if you want to put some manga library that'll be at least another 5-10gb, some books and novels that'd be usually less than 200mb. i don't just use it for books with text only. i put over 40gb manga only bro. also i don't read the manga (or books) on the stock system, only use koreader for everything and it's snappy as fuck

>Calibre
it works, but inconvenience.

ever tried searching for a display replacement? i'm sure you can find one

looks huge as hell must be uncomfortable to hold in one hand. meh, i honestly probably never take notes on my books...just words highlighting and pages bookmarks. the 3.5mm looks nice but honestly i have a fiio attached to a portable dac, no reason to listen to my music on an e-reader so useless to me heh

>hold in one hand
Nah I have a stand for that. But it's honestly not that bad. It's no Kindle but the size makes up for that.
>take notes on my books
Well it works for highlighting and making annotations very well. But sometimes if you have charts or graphs or other things that you want to draw attention to it's nice to mark special notes on it.
>3.5mm looks nice
It is. Not so much for music because you can use a portable player but you can load audio books onto it and keep all of your book related things on the device. And with 16GB onboard + 32 GB microSD is a lot of storage.

Where do I get this 5gb dictionary?

I just listed a broken-board-good-screen Glo HD on the MobileRead fleamarket

If you jailbreak you can replace the default reader with KOReader, which supports epub

The online library that had all those different full dictionaries went offline, I still have them on my machine though but not on there atm so can't upload now sorry

>Onyx Boox N96 ML
Why are the reviews on amazon so bad?

>charts or graphs or other things
welp, I only use my reader to read LNs, Manga and some books I like (also happened to be novels). never and will never use it for text books I have my tablet for that.

Cool, will try converting my own again with Penelope

...annoying penelope isn't available via Homebrew.

Off topic, but has anyone installed a second (complete, up to date) version of Python alongside that included with OSX and did it fuck anything up?

i believe they were called stardict. here found the page give it a try download.huzheng.org/bigdict/

Because they are kindle shills who only want their e-reader to succeed. Do you think a Microsoft Surface being sold on Apple's site would get good reviews compared to Macbooks?

The annotations are completely optional. The screen is good for PDFs(which is wha I mainly use it for) but The larger screen helps with images too.

I suppose that would make some sense. I really like the looks of this thing and the stylus though. I have a kindle paperwhite and its nice but I feel as if e-readers are mostly good for casual reading and nothing too heavy so I have went back to paper and never use it.

My Glo HD used to have a drawing app, can't remember how it got on there. Don't see one on my H2O.

Now I will say that the kindle is perfect if you're just reading text and maybe one or two pictures. The small size makes it perfect for the eyes. The larger screen does require more horizontal movement for text. You could solve this with a larger text size but then you're just having to turn the page more. But the Onyx has physical page turn buttons that the Kindle models haven't had in many years.

As for paper, I can understand that. There are some books that are formatted better for a physical page and is very hard to replicate digitally. But some e-readers are nice because of a front light that makes it possible to read in almost any situation, even if you're not near light or are in a very low light situation. There have been times that I wouldn't have been able to work and read if I hadn't had my Onyx Boox with the light on it. But the most compelling reason is size and portability. I have books on my e-reader that are 200-300, 500-600, and some over 1000 pages. the fact that I can carry multiple of those books in less than 1 pound is really the reason e-readers exist. Then again you can get that with a tablet or even a laptop but the screen is also the main factor that puts e-readers in a class of their own. It's as easy on the eyes as paper is.

I read Anna Karenina on the kindle and it was fantastic. I read a lot of Dostoevsky though and he is just better on paper with all of his crazy russian names and characters.

thinking of getting a max carta.

having some doubts though.

The dictionary of the kindle is pretty neat too. The Kindle has speed over any other e-reader available.

I mean all you're really paying for is the screen size and maybe the e-ink technology. But even my n96 ML is perfectly fine. Unless you feel like you really need something that large, look for an M or N model. The Max Carta has the same specs under the hood, run the same version of android, same storage as the N96.

What do you plan on using it for?? That will really determine if you should spend the extra dosh on it

I just like using little sticky notes and writing on margins and reverting back to see who is fucking who with russian lit. Also of course owning nice books to glance over at and have them remind you of something inside you can revert back to.

Oh yeah that's true. No e-reader can match flipping back and forth between pages. And the aesthetic of an organize bookshelf is pretty nice too.

>What do you plan on using it for?? That will really determine if you should spend the extra dosh on it
Essentially reading academic articles and textbooks - as well as "regular" books.

I see
here is a good example of what i'm after, but even then it seems a bit awkward on the screen since the page was intentionally for an a4 piece of paper.

my reservations about the max carta are the following:
the screen does seem crazy big and it weighs a bit more than its competitors - how practical will lying in bed reading a book be?

how does it handle things like textbooks with where the text is all over the place (depending on where the pictures/graphs/tables are - especially if one would prefer to just zoom in on one column of text before moving to another (how would that play out?)

also the max carta everything is done via the stylus, which i'm having premonitions of being annoying.

seeing as you're shilling for n96 (Which i may go after), i'm sure you can shed some light.

I much prefer just tapping to slip a page vs. having to reposition my hands and fiddle finding the paper's edge.

Oh i'm also worried about the usual stuff - warranty, longevity. if you can shed light on this too.

>so many (You)'s

The N96 has many different readers so they can handle files differently. I'll see if I can take some pictures to show you what I mean.

I use the e-reader for reading PDF files 90% of the time, which I assume you will as well. Depending on how the PDF is formatted, text alignment is not an issue. I read PDFs with graphs, tables, code blocks, pictures and never had any issue. There are options to zoom in and have the page move left to right while zoomed in automatically if you need a bigger view. Also comes with a column view so if your PDFs are in columns you can read it with no fiddling around since the software will move the view automatically and keep doing so page after page until you turn it off.

>everything is done with a stylus
Mostly if you're changing to different books/apps. But if you misplace it you're SOL. That has happened to me a few times. On my N96 it has physical page turn buttons, a menu button and a back button so you can still read the book you're on, just not change to another one. Honestly the stylus is pretty cool once you get used to it. Very useful for annotating and highlighting.

Books are really inconvenient ergonomically, they don't work well in many situations for extended periods of reading. Lighting them is also an issue, dedicating lights or forcing the reader to move to accommodate them. Then there's volume, books take way more volume than an eReader with possibly thousands of books. They also require manual scouring, for instance the dictionary feature on eBooks is fantastic, but having a searchable volume of reference books is certainly a supermassive boon in favor of readers. Finally the level of prudence you have to use with paper books is absurd in comparison to a reader, especially when you're spending $30+ on a hardcover, you can't just toss it into your baggage and be off. Tearing pages is super easy as well. Dog earing pages infuriates some people, bookmarks are inconvenient. Weight.

The only thing I really like about books is giving them to friends.

>can you read manga? Yes|Depends(but it'll look shit)
Any compare pic?

>I rooted mine the first hour I got it
Are you referring to the kobo touch or kobo glo HD?
What are the advantage of rooting it?

ok so now its between the n96 adn the max carta.

I wish i could actually buy/try both and see :(
It is literally £200 more for some sligtly better specs (better battery, much better resolution) and a much bigger screen (which might be so big and heavy that it is cumbersome).

do you reckon i could order both, unbox them, rebox the one i don't like and then return it :^)

>$350
For that price you can get high end tablet.

>books and novels that'd be usually less than 200mb
>Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery 300 MB

>people consistently say this strawman.

the utility in an expensive ereader is the ability to almost completely replace books and paper.

the utility of a tablet is to do the same shit you do on your computer (emails, watch videos, social media) whilst not being at your desk.

i have 64gb so can't get if you're sarcastic about my prediction or what exactly

>manga explaining electricity
Sasuga japan.

Can you post a webm of it?

i'd go with kobo because it can run Kobo Start Menu, which you could compare to UEFI i suppose, and KOReader on top of it (you can still boot into the normal OS as well but why bother)

KOReader is fast e-reader software, and reads about all formats you can throw at it.

No matter what ereader you get, get one with a 300dpi screen.

Kobo Glo HD is fantastic for this.

pic related; mine.

I'm making fun of what you perceive as books.

not really but suit yourself

suggestions for an 100-120$ e-reader that has decent quality, and maybe backlight?

Manga Guide To Electricity.

Give me a minute, but yes I will

If you had the money, probably. But Honestly it's just better to make the right choice the first time. 13.3inch e-readers are still experimental territory. Personally I find 9.7 is what I'd comfortably travel with. I take it places and if it were 4 inches bigger diagonally it would take up a lot of room vertically and horizontally. Now if it were going to sit at my desk and be held up by a stand, then that may be different. But it would kind of look like a computer monitor at that point.

The cropping feature on the N96 is great. It makes a lot of things bearable.

>The cropping feature on the N96 is great. It makes a lot of things bearable.
I've just had really bad experiences with an ereader before, so i'm very sensitive about how my pages come out on an ereader.

>size
yeah i am worried about this from both perspectives is 13 inches too cumbersome but does 9.7 inches do an A4 piece of paper justice.

>computer monitor
ironically i've just read the new Onyx Max is going to have a computer monitor feature. Which i also think is very cool (because it solves my qualm about how things are formatted... (But again how cumbersome and heavy is this thing).

Hard choice to make. especially since they're pushing out new products just now.

totally agree with you user. it's comfy, fits perfectly in on ehand, great for bus/library/bed reads, great looking, expandable storage, dualboot, it's fast and reliable. the Glo HD is just great.

I have a PC, a laptop, a 10 inches tablet, a 5.5 inches phone and the glo HD. I prefer to read it on the e-reader cuz it looks better. no idea what you're on about mate

If you're looking for 100% replication, then the Max is going to be the one you want since you'll have no cropping or resizing at all. If you need that then it's a pretty easy choice. But I think the N96 is a good choice too. They make a touch screen version without a frontlight too, it's without the ML suffix. Either way you'll be happy. I'd like to see the Max in person so judge how much better the screen is!

>Onyx Max is going to have a computer monitor feature
Damn that would be great. I was looking at a company that makes an e-ink monitor, Dasung I think, and it was like $1000 USD. I love e-ink and was seriously thinking of getting one but I don't couldn't find where to buy them. I might look again right now though

I'm reading the new 'max 2 pro' has touch screen and can double up as a monitor.

whilst the max just doubles up as a monitor.

seriously interested, but i imagine its going to add a bit more onto the price tag relative to the N96.

>I have a PC, a laptop, a 10 inches tablet, a 5.5 inches phone and the glo HD. I prefer to read it on the e-reader cuz it looks better
i'm sorry that you're blind

Is this automatic crop, or can you define crop/zoom level? It bothers me how there's virtually no margin around the elements, also the bottom line actually gets truncated.

The OLD Sony readers did really good PDF reflowing. Why can't we do that in 2007+10???

You can use the pen to draw out how much you want it to crop in. I just use the autocrop because it works well for me. But you can also crop by width as well

Apparently you can project a second screen on existing onyx products its just less straightforward than plugging in a hdmi cable (which will be the new feature)

>probably

You use the eink as a display or project the reader's display to something else?

the former.
I'm also trying to find out about bluetooth keyboards.

if you can get your device up to android 4.4 you can stat using ms office stuff.

the new one will be android 6.
>tfw actually getting a bit overwhelmed by all of this

If I'd known this existed I might have bought this instead of my most recent ereader: oaxis.com

They're eink phone cases that interface with your iPhone. No touch screen for the eink side, but does have hardware buttons for changing pages and stuff.

$150 for the iPhone Plus version which is much less than I woulda' thought.

>hexchat irc
>undernet server
>#bookz room
>@search book title author etc
>get .txt
>copy paste the book you want

FUCKING CRINGE KILL YOURSELF NOW

Having an eink display in your pocket all the time is cringy?