Ad Blockers-Filter Lists

Lets talk filter filter lists.

More and more alternatives are popping up for privacy, malware, and general blocking, are any of these filters better than the "old guard" so to speak? Are there any filters that should not be overlapping with each other? Redundancies and such. How many filters are too many, at what point do you slow your browser down?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Block-more,-way-more).
adguard.com/en/privacy.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Possibly. But first get your shit together and ditch uBlock. Home network DNS and a VPN on a Pi are far superior.

I don't know I enabled everything except the experimental stuff and regionals, it hasn't slowed me down at all. Uses about 50 MB of RAM at the moment

everything as in everything under the same categories? That surely has to be redundant and slow things down?

I remember using a regional filter from my country, alongside EasyList and it broke and slowed down several sites, I'd actually get ads, disabling the regional filters fixed that immediately.

>Pi

you should kill yourself

>Are there any filters that should not be overlapping with each other?
It doesn't matter if they overlap because uBlock Origin (and I'm sure the same applies for others) doesn't apply the same filters twice.

>How many filters are too many, at what point do you slow your browser down?
Difficult to say an exact number but on a desktop PC or a modern laptop the overhead shouldn't be noticeable even with millions of entries, in fact most sites will probably load faster due to the blocked items. On a low-end smartphone you might notice some slowdown with a lot of filters but mostly cosmetic filtering (hiding DOM elements) is the culprit since it's more CPU intensive than network filtering so I recommend disabling cosmetic filtering if you notice this on your phone. Network filtering is after all the important thing.

Hosts file can't block all type of ads and isn't capable of cosmetic filtering. It also doesn't support wildcards (e.g. to block 1.example.com, 2.example.com, 3.example.com you need three different entries) because its intended purpose has never been to block connections.

Are you absolutely sure about this because as I said here I experienced problems with overlapping filters.

Also what the fuck is the difference between "Malware domains" and "Malware Doman List" the "List" one stopped working recently, it won't update, says there's an error.

I use the default + hphosts' list, since gorhill recommends it (github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Block-more,-way-more). But I also use the "advanced mode" and block all 3rd party connections, so I don't know if you'd still want more lists.

Are you sure overlapping filters were the problem, and not the fact that one broke the site individually? I would recommend activating every filter you want and checking the "I am an advanced user" checkbox. With an uMatrix style interface you can now override the filters by allowing and forbidding certain parts of a webpage and fix broken sites individually.

You can see redundancies when a list says "0 out of X filters used". I used to just enable all filters and disable redundant ones manually. No performance impact. uBlock Origin is very efficient. If you did this on ABP your browser would take over a minute to launch and would be sluggish as fuck.

Not everything within a single group is redundant. I remember Easy List + Fanboy's List merged as an option under "multipurpose" which made all EasyList and Fanboy's filters redundant.

And yeah, you will NOT have issues when overlapping filters. I'm 99% sure you can ignore regional filters.

ram is less important, what about cpu usage?

The biggest benefit of this is that it works network wide, for all devices. So even my girlfriend's unrooted Samsung devices are now much less annoying.

I use an auto-updated bind9 configuration on my home server instead of a pi, though

So how many filters do you guys use?

>146,680 network filters + 67,762 cosmetic filters

no thank you.

>How can I make something as simple as installing an extension insanely annoying and complicated for no apparent reason?

Not him, but my dns blocks ads, and that takes like 30 seconds to add to my router.
I also use ublock origin for extra protection though.

Does anybody know which filter lists to enable to block ads on twitch or pcgamer?

No, but enabling all the default ublock origin ones should do it.

nope doesnt work.

I am unable to achieve advertisements on twitch or pcgamer.
This is my filter list for ublock origin.
I am using chromium 63.0.3236.0.

See anything different on your filters?

nope nothing different i'm on chrome 61.0.3163.100.

Firefox 58
Latest uBlock Origin
Enabled all under uBlock, ads, easy list, fanboy and malware.
No ads on twitch. Idk what pcgamer is.

i dont have a problem on ff but on chrome it doesnt work.

I'm using a chromium build with No WebRTC and No Widevine.
Maybe that's the issue?
Play around with Development Tools and see if you can figure out how it's serving ads.
I can't reproduce this issue.

do you have ublock origin extra installed?

will do. i'm disabling all other extensions that i have enabled as well as webrtc and trying to see if anything changes. logger isnt very helpful. the ads seem to be coming from the same place as the video but i could be overlooking something

yes.

I don't get ads on pcgamer in chrome, but the site is loading excruciatingly slow and the thumbnails are broken.

>DNS filtering
Any reason for this? Let's ignore my smartphone (it has adaway).

Is it just another option, up to preference, or is there any objective advantage to doing it that way?

Layered Security.

ok. so after disabling every other extension except for ublock and tampermonkey(only for aak). i can finally view pcgamer but it is just like you mentioned with the thumbnails except it loads normally for me.
as for twitch i found a url called fidget.twitch.tv when i hovered over the ad. and clicked it, i was transferred to the showtime website

blocking fidget.twitch.tv in my filters does not stop the ad from playing but if you try to click the ad then the url "uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading". so there is some progress but i still cant figure out where the ad is comign from

I think it's some new htlm5 drm trickery.

it's probably opening a websocket

I think they're served over websockets. Try adding this to the "My rules" tab

twitch.tv wss://pubsub-edge.twitch.tv websocket block

It's less resource intensive because filtering gets offloaded to the router level, but that's pointless given that computers are fast as shit anyways.

You can get false postitives if you enable many filters.

This isn't actually better. Stop pushing this incorrect information, you complete and utter brainlet. This is at least the second time I've seen this posted.

uBlock and uMatrix allow for granular controls over not just what resources are loaded, as hacky DNS redirection does, but allows for granular controls over the direction of information and how fetched information communicates.

Take for example the blocking of cookies. If your Pi-hole garbage doesn't block the domain itself, there's nothing preventing your browser from saving cookies off and the primary domain now being able to track you.

This is opposed to uMatrix and uBlock which prevent that cookie from being stored by default, while simultaneously not blocking the content that you want from coming in.

For another example, think about a website that depends on javascript for navigation elements on the website to properly display/function. You maybe want this javascript, but maybe you don't want another javascript file from the same domain to be able to talk to 20 different tracking domains.

With Pi-hole? You're SOL. Zero ability to control what loads and how it works, so once that script starts running in your browser, all connections are going through.

With uMatrix/uBlock, you simply prevent XHR to those domains. The scripts will try to make their connections and the browser will prevent it and you're all set. The website still functions, all your scripts load, but you block them from going out, even if they have a hardcoded IP.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Btw is Adguard a reputable organization? they're listed on the DNScrypt resolvers, offering some extra things. I'm currently using a public one, which works fine.

They don't hijack dns, I've been using them in a largepool, didn't have any issues.

thanks m8

I've used them for over a year.
adguard.com/en/privacy.html

I have a family that uses SmartTVs directly on youtube, and it's nice that it blocks all ads.

I don't recommend anything other than their DNS.
Use ublock origin for your browser protection.

blocked the websocket still got an ad. the only websocket that popped up was the same as what you linked except it was on /v1. blocked that with a wildcard and still got an ad. a different websocket appeared but it was for the chat application only. no other websocket was present

Somewhat new development though. When i look at the dev tools i find parts of mpegurls. They all come from the same url but after downloading them i can see that they have slightly different file names but only the last 3 characters. here is an example.

AD:
CqUDdfm02s5mSLnDUAsKj-ND--TAxIrkdMtwUQcZYlp8e7vONxynWs3Tpq-wYBu81xeBceIv501cqu67k5J9uG_SSaVS_7PtXOlGiUlBePw7IIfEhpPR2EJ67KWR0dOakQYbSs7_tC1APL8eC0aLsD4MwSfC-M7UNIZxEiD5R77OuYHwZMUOqSoA8NNoCBtvGPBwRCb2XEAakJFPzvqk7Pe

Non AD:
CqUDdfm02s5mSLnDUAsKj-ND--TAxIrkdMtwUQcZYlp8e7vONxynWs3Tpq-wYBu81xeBceIv501cqu67k5J9uG_SSaVS_7PtXOlGiUlBePw7IIfEhpPR2EJ67KWR0dOakQYbSs7_tC1APL8eC0aLsD4MwSfC-M7UNIZxEiD5R77OuYHwZMUOqSoA8NNoCBtvGPBwRCb2XEAakJFPzvqk7Per-Jy

Non AD:
CqUDdfm02s5mSLnDUAsKj-ND--TAxIrkdMtwUQcZYlp8e7vONxynWs3Tpq-wYBu81xeBceIv501cqu67k5J9uG_SSaVS_7PtXOlGiUlBePw7IIfEhpPR2EJ67KWR0dOakQYbSs7_tC1APL8eC0aLsD4MwSfC-M7UNIZxEiD5R77OuYHwZMUOqSoA8NNoCBtvGPBwRCb2XEAakJFPzvqk7Pe.

If i open the url in a newtab it automatically downloads them and when i open them using mpc-hc i am able to view its contents. Also after some time passes I am unable to view the contents of the actual stream when i open it after it has downloaded but the ad file still works. The error that I get is unable to render file.

They may have found a way to defeat the adblocker if the ad and content both come from the same url.

I almost feel bad for Adguard, their heart really seems to be in the right place, and they're trying to be as consumer friendly as can be, but they're not really hitting the normie market the way they deserve to be.

advanced users have no reason to use it, but it'd be better for everyone if people moved off adblock and ablock plus to adguard or something.

Would this still be useful for anything that doesn't have the ability to use uBlock? Like a network media streaming device or something?