Read about tech prodigies on the internet

>read about tech prodigies on the internet
>there are genius kids who are 12 and can make apps
>there are genius kids who are 14 and are full blown programmers
>there are genius kids who are making robots, satellites and cool things

How is it possible? Normal people need a 4 year degree to do the same while there are prepubescent kids who can attain knowledge even greater than normal people on their own? Sounds very fishy desu
I mean most of us started programming in our teens too. I was programming microcontrollers in assembly by 18, but what about these kids? Are they really better than people 3 to 4 times their age

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/sgonzalez
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Demaine
linkedin.com/in/slgonzalez/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Helps a lot if you are autistic.

Most of them are pretty normal desu, far more normal than most of Sup Forums

their skills are usually overrated by the media outlets reporting them and one can usually easily learn their level of skills with some applied effort

there ARE real prodigies ofc but unless their is a virtue-signalling angle for a report about them they remain unknown

>this thread again

What, was there a thread like this in the past too?

Step 1: Dream in code.

Step 2:

>4years
you kinda answered your question
If the kid disregard social life and devote all their time to learning CS material from 10 they'll have 5 year of solid education education at 15.

Grow up using the internet, disregard your social life, prioritize studying, become adept at programming at a young age.

They don't know the math behind it or anthing like that, they just know how to follow tutorials and get the things to do what they want

start early, not in your twenties
it helps when your parents aren't tech illiterates

This
They dont make anything new, they just follow tutorials and make simple things that already exist. Its the way almost all the children who are into tech learn programming, by experimentation, myself included. The only difference between them and me is that they are way younger and in this day and age, many people know about programming and tech so a news report about a child programming genius wouldn't raise confused eyebrows

That's just r9k leaking

Fake it 'til you make it: The person

Steal from other people, have people guide your every move until you're basically just a puppet for their thoughts, google everything and just copy paste, eventually learn some basics and then claim you're a genius inside a vacuum

It's really nothing special if you can program at age 12. That's fucking high school age.

That's 6th or 7th grade, not fucking high school.

in my country it is :^)

Nothing is really that hard when you stop being a lazy distracted fuck and start being motivated and hard working.

The hardest part of mastering anything really is having the motivation and drive to dedicate yourself to what you want.

You don't need to be a genius to be able to program or fuck around with arduinos. If you have a strong interest in that stuff you can get pretty far.
Now if you want to get really good and be able to do more complex stuff, on top of actually understanding what you're doing you're gonna have to go to college/university and get educated.

> Grow up using the internet, disregard your social life, prioritize studying, become adept at programming at a young age.
I did the first two, why can't I program?

I'm assuming his parents paid for that interview, since his github profile doesn't have any "genius" tier projects at all: github.com/sgonzalez
"talk is cheap, show me the code" are words to live by

My job title is software engineer, I write C# and JavaScript at that job (in addition to using CSS and HTML), and I have a six-figure salary. Oh, and I'll soon have my name on a patent for my Master's thesis. I'm doing just fine and certainly have a future in this field.
Have fun being brainlets, boys!

Some kids are brought up autistic

If you had parents who teach you these skills, you wouldn't be any different

Being interested in that shit as a kid isn't super crazy, remember people picking on me at school in the 90s for reading a C++ Primer book.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Demaine

linkedin.com/in/slgonzalez/
Looks like normal person plus begin PhD student on CS.

Kid looks like a cross between Mark Cuban and Earthworm Jim.

I was programming Microcontrollers in assembly when I was 13.
For me it was as learning another school subject, for my parents I was a genius, etc

I've always said that we don't know our true potential until we get pushed to do so.

There is literally nothing stopping teenagers from doing X or Y type of thing besides the fact that they're not getting trained to do so.

I myself was obsessed with Linux when I found out about when I was 12 and I quick went up to a level of a redhat certified system administrator due to pure autism and aspergetic curiosity. I became pretty good with webdev, python, perl and bash scripting, network and database app configuration and various text tools like sed awk etc. It's all about having enough autism to learn and practice. If you enjoy it you'll become very good at it.

>hurr how are 14 year olds good at programming?

same way they are good at video games, they play a lot and have a lot of free time and they make friends who are into their hobbies and they compete with each other hardcore.

you can't get "good" at video games if you just do them like a "school subject"; imagining sitting in school listening to a lecture about DOTA2 or WoW or Street Fighter, and then having a "home work assignment" to complete which took maybe 30mins to an hour. and involved executing some moves by yourself or doing a puzzle; and this happened 3 or 4x a week. After 4 years you graduate with a degree in "wow" and compared to someone who had no training you would be "wow really good" but compared to a nerd who played 8hours a day you would be dogshit, you'd be stuck at 1800 mmr, in comparison and they would be at 3000mmr.

what im saying is schools suck and don't teach you how to learn, just spend all your, its not hard to "git gud" at something you are obsessive about and spend 5-8hours a day doing, for a couple years.

If a child can learn to read and write by the age of 14, they can easily learn a skill by that age. 500 years ago, black smiths would teach their kids the trade as soon as they where able to walk.

The modern school system deliberately stunts the educational development of people to balance out the subjects people learn.

A kid that knows how to write android applications is no different from a kid who can play a video game very well. The difference between the two skills being that one is useful while the other, a giant waste of time.

>How is it possible? Normal people need a 4 year degree to do the same while there are prepubescent kids who can attain knowledge even greater than normal people on their own?

I would put money on the following: place these "smart" kids into a school system full of diversity and teachers with an average IQ of 105 and they will come out being standard worker drone.

I am not saying they will under achieve but without parents that care about their education, a person with a potentially high IQ will not be exposed to the stimulation needed to properly develop their mind.

If programming was a standard class in middle or grade school, you can expect millions of people kids just like pic related being produced from the system.

Another factor that plays into education is obedience, if you are an obedient person, you are more likely to do well in school with an average IQ. If you are a rebellious person with an average IQ, you are more likely to do worse. This is probably why women do well in STEM, if they take it even though they have an average IQ closer to the middle, unlike men who are more spread out.

>muh arbitrary naming conventions

so who are these prodigies and what are their contributions?

Yeah, child prodiges, so cool. Weird they're never heard of again once they grow up probably ended up living under a bridge or something

Just another teacher in some state school.

>ended up living under a bridge or something
I notice your bitterness. They end up living a standard upper middle class life style. Most people want a simple life, they don't all want to spend 100hours a week studying for the rest of their lives.

Their parents gave them a head start and they used it, why are you so bitter about the fact, your parents style of parenting caused you to be a NEET on an anime board, pretending that you know something about technology, when in reality you know the equivalent of a first year college student. We both know that you do not have the mental agility to actually do 4 years of higher education.

Dude cheer up, you're healthy - you're normal most of these prodigies suffer from slight autism some clinical condition I can't comprehend why shitty diseases - major trade offs in life sometimes balance out in outstanding intelligence - but you've got hard work left to achieve great things so just fucking work.

You're not autistically obsessed and have photographic memory or w/e like them but you still have to work.

Fuck you, OP. I was going to make a "Do you dream in code" thread.

I was the main thing in school back in primary, I was going to some software competitions when I was 12-13.
Same thing in high school. Got into university, some CS bullshit, dropped out because I wasn't interested in studying, I wanted to work.
Meh, nothing special desu, people mostly call you to install some drivers, re-install windows, check their phone and which laptop they should buy. If I wanted to, I could've been on TV way more, but I didn't want to spend time on that shit. I was on TV 5-6 times, can't remember the exact number.

Well, Ken Silverman wrote the Build engine by himself when he was around 18, right?
I can't think of any serious code written by anyone younger, but I'm sure there has been some written.
Genius is a powerful thing. Think of the difference between Euler, Gauss, or Ramanujan and the average person.

Their skills are usually very overrated, and a lot of the time there is an adult in the shadows that is actually doing all the hard work by "helping".

I dream in Adobe Flash Player.

You don't need a 4 year degree to learn to write a fucking app, and there are basically no prerequisites to programming, so any 12 year old could realistically learn to make apps, they just don't, because it's not part of the school curriculum, so when one of them does, it's big news for normies.
Same thing with satellites, now that all these meme modules and 3D printers are available and affordable, it's not that hard to make a satellite, but of course the satellite the kid made is nothing like a real satellite that is designed to function for decades.
I'm not trying to shit on these kids, they probably have a bright future ahead of them, but by no means are they the next Einsteins or whatever.

this desu, the media make their skills seem like something inhuman and imoossible for a kid their age, which isn't the case

EWWWWWW THAT'S WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE NOW??????

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

DELETE THIS

He's also an total Apple and Tesla fanboy and massive Trump supporter.

Pure autism

He used to be a hardcore SJW not too long ago. I wonder what made him turn his life around.

I think he realized that being an SJW wouldn't get him any pussy so he became a hardcore Trump fanatic. Who knows?

Looks pretty stupid with that waste of money behind him, but I am sure he needs it to publish his ``apps''.

You didn't do the third step you dingus

Normal people have an IQ of 100
They are retarded when compared to intelligent people