$170 in 2011

>$170 in 2011

Not weird for a powerful CPU that is only marginal slower than current "high-end" (ignoring autism I-really-should've-got-a-Ryzen tier) CPUs.

>bought one in 2012
>still my daily driver

>not using the master race x5650

>forced to give mine away in march
Goodnight my sweet prince
Wanted to wait for 7nm poozen

if the price got too low, many people woud be buying it instead of brand new stuff

price goes down relatively to technological advances, when it becomes obsolete, price will
be dirt cheap, for now, it just shows how good it really is

>tfw I am probably going to ride out the pre-quantum era with my i7 2700K
feels good man

"quantum computing" will not be a consumer thing at home. You will have to buy conventional CPUs until either death or all shit is streamed to cheap dumb terminals..

They said the same thing about home computers too.

>I think there is a world market for maybe five computers

Additionally, quantum computing will not be a replacement for conventional computing. Only an addition. It's good at fundamentally different things. Hell, a quantum processor still needs a conventional processor to control it.

That was just doubting PCs would be affordable at any time. Quantum computing not being in your living room has physical reasons, like not being like a PC at all. An quantum computer will never replace your gaymur rig because it can't do that kind of computations. As in NEVER, not as in not yet.

>It's good at fundamentally different things.
So are GPUs. That hasn't stopped them from being built into PCs.

That's his whole point. It's an addition. You will always need a conventional CPU (electrical or optical, this can actually change) to do anything useful. As long as people do heavy computations at home they will need to buy fast conventional CPUs. No quantum breakthrough will change that.

basically this

No, his point is clearly that because traditional computing will always be necessary, future PCs won't be capable of quantum computing, which doesn't make any sense. To assume that when people talk about "quantum computers" they are talking about machines that can ONLY perform quantum computation is completely ridiculous.

I have it, too.

The only thing that bothers me is how long Civ V turn times take. But I'm scared that it's just Civ V being the unoptimized piece of shit it is and upgrading won't actually improve the turn times

I finally upgraded to Ryzen 5 1600 this year, my 2500k lasted me a long time but I was getting a lot of stuttering in recent games such as Battlefield 1 and GTA 5. Also my PC would stutter when alt tabbing, stutter when recording Shadowplay, so much stuttering I couldn't take it anymore. Everything is silky smooth on my new system. I still have my 2500k lying around, just don't know what to do with it.

reason why i upgraded from a 3820 last month.

Stutter when alt+tabbing? Can't think I experience that but maybe I'm glossing over some things. Genuinely curious.

t. 2500k user

I think when I was running a game in borderless windowed mode and my CPU was at 99% my PC stuttered in the desktop, I don't fully remember because I upgraded several months ago.

Are you sure it was the CPU? When I'm alt+tabbing out of games, it's just lottery.

Some games properly go away, some stay "half there" and only show the taskbar with the game still covering the majority of the screen and some will simply outright refuse to go to the desktop.

The other guy was right. Quantum computers (as far as I know) aren't suitable for the vast majority of the kinds of computations we do on conventional processors. They have a very specific application domain. Maybe they'll be integrated in future consumer electronics, but even then they most likely won't benefit the kind of things you'd say "wish I had a faster computer for that" about at this point.

>other guy
Obvious samefag is obvious. I refuse to believe that more than one person could be so oblivious to such an extremely simple point. The truth of this fact is completely obvious to everyone. There is no evidence in this thread that anyone, anywhere has ever claimed or implied anything that contradicts it. Why you are trying to make this point so adamantly is a complete mystery to me, unless you think that if a single technology is not suited to perform every type of task that the user ever performs, it won't be built into PCs. If that is what you think, you should not be attempting to participate in conversations about computers.

Still rocking it, I've set aside $1,500 to go balls to the walls with a RAM/Mobo/CPU upgrade once I find a legitimate scenario where the 2500K starts to struggle, but I have yet to find one.

Quantum computers are Turing complete niggas. They can be made to replace conventional CPU's.

What they mean (whether or not they know it) is that they're not faster than traditional processors for most types of tasks. What they think this means is that regular people won't need them, because regular people don't need anything in their computer that doesn't make it load facebook faster, or something.

It's balls to the wall. One wall. Jesus fuck user you're making us all looking fucking retarded over here

It is unoptimized but still benefits a lot from a better CPU.

For all intensive purposes your right

>It functioned @4.5Ghz under 77C when I got it
>Started bluescreening after a year or two
>Functioned @4.2Ghz for years more
>Started bluescreening after some time
>Functioned @ 4Ghz
>bluescreens and 90C load temps with a clean cooler and fresh thermal grease

Is this normal silicon degradation or did I fuck up something with voltages or anything?
I think it was running on Auto voltages and at some point I "fixed" bluescreens by adding +0.2V dynamic modifier.
Fucking old gigabyte MOBO settings are obscure.

probably your ram you fucking weeb

What exactly about my ram?
Are you replying to my post ?

Ty, Ill keep that in mind

Are there any turn time benchmarks? All benchmarks are for FPS, but I have 100+ FPS, my problem are the minute-long turn times in the end game w/ 16 city states

where can I find more of this?

Which CPU is this?

It doesn't sound like it's the newer ones with toothpaste instead of solder since you're talking about years and years. If you weren't then that would be my guess, CPUs with toothpaste in them do run hotter and hotter until they become unusable.

Anyway, it's not the RAM. It's not entirely impossible that something could happen to RAM sticks after a while but it generally doesn't, that's parts that either don't work when you get them or they work and keep working longer than every other part of your system.

ok nevermind found it by googling genji butt slap

I'm talking about 2500K

Could it be that MOBO power circuits are shitting themselves slowly? But it's not only that, I think my temps got workse, originally it was running Lynx cool at 4.5GHZ now it got to 90C at 4.2 in 7zip benchmark.

Recently I downclocked to stock.

Oh and by the way could the overclocked RAM be frying my CPU with higher voltages?

Wtf? Are we still yalking about the 2500k here? Mine goes to 4.8ghz at 67c max

>Gigabyte motherboard
Found your problem right there user.
Short of fucking Biostar and Supermicro, Gigabyte is the worst shit you can get.
If that's not the problem then your 2500K might have run into what Intel likes to call "microcracks" in the solder. You see, because Intel uses shit quality no matter what they're fucking using for the thermal interface material, even the solder they used to use with Sandy Bridge had a lot of issues, mainly in terms of longevity, and because yours is such a hot stutterfire of a core, especially upon overclocking, you ended up forming tiny little cracks in the actual solder, that are very much hampering your performance.
Alternatively, you just have a shittier silicon sample than you originally thought you had and now you're paying the toll for overclocking.

No matter which of these your problem ends up being (probably a shitty combination of all three desu), I recommend you upgrade to something less shit anyway. If you have a 144Hz display or better wait for Coffee Lake to actually become available. Or just get the good old 1600+B350 motherboard combination right now if your monitor is 100hz or less.

user, think about that for a second.
>overclocking your RAM
>is frying your CPU
What part of this makes even the slightest amount of sense to you?

you are going to ride it until pci 4, ddr5 or sata 4 drop. which is going to happen sooner rather than later. I hope you like your cpus with glue!

You did something wrong. I ran my 2500K for 4 years at 4.5GHz and it never degraded. After 2 years it got hotter, replaced the thermal paste and it was good as new. Haven't used it in awhile though, I replaced it with 6700k a year and a half ago.

>he downgraded his cpu because of the windows 10 alt tab bug

In still on a 2500k also oced to 4.8ghz. I don't plan on upgrading this anytime soon. Still runs everything I need it to. Is it worth it to get 16gig of 2400mhz ram over my current 8gig of 1600mhz ram?

2500k user here
my mobo was bought refurbished , its getting old and im having some instability issue with my OC.

what should be my CPU?
not much of an AMDshills
is the 6600k/7600k that bad ?

i guess it all depend on your hardware but going from 1600mhz to 2133mhz made my setup harder to OC ( stable oc obviously )

I like reddit and 9gag more than Sup Forums

>mfw 6700k is £330
>7700k £250

literally no idea what the fuck goytel are doing right now.
everyone who got the 6700k when haswell E was hot now have pcs worth more than what they paid for them a year ago.

>get the good old 1600+B350
>not waiting for Ryzen+

Yes, and yours is the same kind of bin that reviewers got back in the day. The same kind of rare bin that lets Coffee Lake reach 5.2, or Ryzen hit 4.2. Most bins struggled with 4.5 or 4.6.
You're just a lucky bastard is all, user. What's your motherboard?

What's your motherboard?
Also, saying "you did something wrong" when talking about overclocking when the silicon lottery is a thing is just....silly.

It's not "bad" it's just extremely overpriced. Right price for it is about 160 by my estimates with Coffee Lake technically in stores.
Unless you have a high refresh rate monitor Ryzen will do you fine. If you do, might as well wait for the 8600k or Zen Refresh. Going from four cores at 4.5 to 4 cores at 4.8 with not a lot of IPC gain just won't be enough of an upgrade for you to justify in hindsight. Especially not for 400$ total CPU+Mobo.

It's because of Kaby Lake's TIM and thermals.

>downgrade
>added two cores, 8 threads, 16 mb of total cache, more IPC, faster RAM, faster PCI-E lanes
>downgrade
This is your brain on fanboyism folks.
Not even once.

Nah senpai he should get the 1600 now and upgrade to 7nm in 2019. 12nm will only be a steppping stone middle of the road tier. 7nm will be the true leap for both companies. So he might as well upgrade now. Sadly you don't get that option on Intel's platform.

I got the Asus p8p67 pro for the 4.ight 2500k oc. All I did to oc was set the multiplier to 48 and left everything else also. Doing so was causing core volt to go to 1.488 when it was maxed so I set the voltage to offset 0.130 and now it only goes to 1.444 maxxed.

>liquid nitrogen cooled computers will be a household commodity

Yea ok

4.8ghz

Now see that's exactly what I expected, and that explains it. Asus makes god-tier motherboards, especially compared to fucking Gigabyte.

Let him dream, user.

>1.444
that's really pushing it though

anything >1.4V vcore for 24/7 use is not recommended

Thanks for the answer user
Current setup is 1440p60hz + 1080p60hz
Also I live in Canada cuckland so everything is overpriced here.
We'll see if boxing day bring any decent sale.

Time to update that cpuz

I only get to game maybe 2 or 3 hours every after work. Sometimes too busy even for that. I get a bit more on weekends and that's it.

Also, it only goes to 1.444 when it's maxed. Normal use it hovers around 1.378

Only 1066 ram? That motherboard should be able to do 1600 easy

>What part of this makes even the slightest amount of sense to you?
Memory controller in the CPU operating at 1.5V or higher.

I have an i3 - 2130, can't complain.

Just delid retard

It's 2500K

Why is my CPU that ran for years at 1.44v turning to shit? Who can tell me? Anyone?

What was your average temps?

>2500k can't boot to OSes installed on NVMe drives
Is this the end of the line, lads?

install zentoo

Newer version of cpu-z only offer me to compare my cpu with i7 or other 8 core and cpu. That why I'm posting this older one.

1066*2 = 2133Mhz
Common speccy issue

Nah, it was around $229-249 at launch unless you got a special discount/bundle deal. Still it was a hell of deal provided you avoided infamous 6 series PCH SATA controller bug.

Yep, overclocked silicon starts to get flaky after long-term abuse. You still have to crank up the volts to keep it stable but the extra volts end-up accelerating electromigration and puts stress on IC.

FYI, I had a B0 [email protected] for years with a minor volt bump but now the thing is barely stable at 2.4Ghz (stock).

It launched early 2011 and you could get it mid 2011 for $180-ish, I even remember a Microcenter deal of it being $150 I think

That feel when on 2500k

What's life like on one of these new generation CPU?

>processor is released @ slightly higher than msrp
>over time processor sells @ msrp
>end of processor generation = lowest prices to flush out the old stock
>prices remain low early into new processor generarion
>no new supply of these old processors so price starts to increase
>demand goes up with people that are repairing or upgrading old systems that need a cpu

less stuttering

more housefires

only if you buy (((intel)))

exactly.

>mfw dual X5650
>maxed out on cheap DDR3 server ram
I'm kinda worried I'll never get a good reason to upgrade.

No it wasn't that cheap, at least not in the US.
Yes, it was an incredible chip.
(holy shit I paid $135 for a 60gb ssd)

Is it worth to go from a 2600k @4.5 ghz to a 1700x ?? No intel , i don t want to buy intel.

ShhhhHHHHH

Get a 1700 instead, and it depends on the use case. Assuming gaming, it depends on resolution, refresh rate, and video card.
If you're doing 60hz at any resolution then no it's not worth it and you should upgrade other parts until the motherboard dies. If you want to go 144hz with out adaptive sync the 1700 is a valid option, 144hz with out adaptive sync and it's inferior to 7700k/8700k.

>I'm kinda worried I'll never get a good reason to upgrade.

I hope this is a joke. That would be some real clinical level consumerism shit.

not if you only game. if you dont want intel, wait for zen 12nm

This is far more wide spread than you might think.

per thread is fucking shit

I just hope we actually see an IPC improvement here soon. We have the frequency, right? I mean AMD chips are considered low clocked at 4.1ghz and intel is passing 5ghz on good silicon.
If someone can just pull a 10% IPC out of their ass year on year for a bit we'll be golden.
The core increase from intel is nice, ryzen is amazing for huge core count chips, but desktop is still boring.

Yo watup

No reason to upgrade until the next great CPU of our time emerges. For the sake of curiosity, what were the great CPUs before the 2500k? q6600"?

q6600 was great but as usual it's additional cores didn't show any usefulness until later in it's life. Similar to how a 2600k is significantly better than a 2500k today.
I remember a specific core 2 duo chip that overclocked an immense amount and were cheap.Can't recall the model for the life of me.

>tfw still have 2500k
>tfw 5 mins to render a 30 second 1080p clip

I can't wait to upgrade from this piece of shit.

The capacitors that are part of power delivery on your mother board are wearing out.

2600k Master race.
Even ryzen has only managed to match Sandy in gaming.
5.0ghz 1.45v
4.6ghz 1.32
4.4ghz 1.26v
4.2ghz 1.15v

What are you using settings wise?
Because I can render a 10min 1080p video with a 2600k in 7-9 min
Bitrate is a bit higher than I need as well.

The launch price was actually $216 for the 2500K

Just delid. I did it and I'm a potato. My 7700k runs @5ghz @67deg C on prime95 small

tfw when your best and main computer and it only has a haswell i5 and a crappy geforce 645. can't upgrade because my psu won't support gpu power and i can't upgrade the psu because every fucking connector in my gateway is p r o p r i e t a r y