/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=oufOIzzNOq4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

First for THICC CHAD TIMEPIECES

Can someone explain the difference between classful and classless routing protocols?

No, but I can tell you that the watch you wear (if you even wear a watch kek) propably sucks ass.

Is the Sarb still made? Is the
presage the newer version?

Whelp, time to take another thread off.

The Sarb is still made yes. The Presage is not a newer version. The SARB does not have a Day. The finishing on the SARB is most likely the best finishing on a watch at that price point.

What are some dive watches that look similar to these modern reissue without going over $300?

Anyone save the pic of the dude who came in the movement of his Russian shitter from months back

There is no room for weaklings in the watch review game, it is a cruel world and people like me will surive, while people like you will fade away, forgotten by history and the academic society.

This is now a soviet shitter thread.

ill take a soviet shitter thread over a low test seiko thread.

My peer

nice calfskin leather ali bracelet btw.

Kek
Thank you
I just tried it on and wont use it anymore.

Why post shitty russian watches when you can post shitty chinese watches like picrelated

what set of hands should I put on this?

I'm going to be pressing in a domed sapphire, and while I have the watch apart am thinking of changing hands as well.

Any hands that are not as wide as those, also pick ones without that stupid arrow.

do some syringe style hands

its not that bad i go through them pretty often though.

honestly don't spend money on this.

It's fun and I'm not a poorfag.

spending $20-$30 for a set of hands is nothing.

Is there any user selling watches?

Maybe something like the SBDX017 hands? I only dislike the hour had on that one. Same reason I don't like Depends what you want to buy kiddo.

what are you looking for? I've got a few I'm thinking of selling

- Seiko Sumo w/ ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal
- Tempest Commorore - black dial, stick indices.
- Casio gw-5000-1jf
- Omega X-33 Skywalker
- vintage auto Tissot seastar barrel case w/ portugese day-date

Im not saying you are but its an iso certified diver you are going to replace the crystal destroying the dive rating. Seiko also has really good lume and you going to put hands on with shittier lume that don't match the dials lume.

I have a local watch-maker acquaintance who will pressure test for me for free. I always use fresh gaskets when doing any mods.

The vendor I like for hands does a great job of matching the lumibite using a blend of superluminova.

I appreciate your relevant feedback though, wasn't trying to be a dick.

>ruining the Sumo bezel

bezel insert swap takes all of 3 minutes. Stock nascar bezel insert is ok, but I like the sbdx001 style fully lumed ceramic better.

I want to say some Ploprof hands would fit well.

I just ordered pic related, as well as some brushed sbdx017 style hands.

Pajeet?

Is Rubber B straps for Rolex a total waste of money? I sort of want to change things up a bit with my watches. Any cheaper alternatives that are still high quality and hold the watch securely?

I tried my friends Everest on my YM a while back, liking the rubber straps.

no.

everest is really the only one when youre talking about specifically rolex watches. Everything else is trash tear rubber in comparison to them. There are some that will amtch the feel but will break down very fast compaired to everest.

What are you, then?

he literally looks like your avg eastern Yuropean fag

The sailcloth straps you can get off iwantastrap.com are pretty good for $35 (including shipping). About 4.5mm thick, but they're not too stiff after a few days.

The dude running it was good enough to send me a replacement strap for free since it was taking so long to ship to me in milkbagland (syrup customs keep shit from singapoor forever it seems).

One uses subnets, the other doesn't.

Now for the critical question, what shitters do you own?

Except Eastern Europeans are white.

basque paternal herritage & north german maternal herritage.

Both sets of great grandparents emigrated from the places mentioned to the US

Why would you want to see it again? I left Sup Forums for a day or two because of that. I like my blue boards clean, or with sexy asian girls (female)

best $400 field/ sport style watch with a steel bracelet?

one of the Seiko SARG models if you can find them

Slavs aren't white.

i want a cheap quartz analog and i've been looking for the timex weekender. there's any good competition to it at the price range?

Brand new SKXs are going for 169 on Massdrop. Including J versions for +10. Should I buy one of these or an Alpinist

You guys See @Seikowatchusa on instagram?

Think something big might be coming!

What happens when you bring the deep blue sea to the Big Apple? Head over to @macys Herald Square at 5:15 PM on October 19 for a special event that's sure to blow you out of the water

Pretty much every other Timex.

Enjoy waiting two months for the thing to ship if you do get it.

Casio MTP range.

>if you do get it
What do you mean? I've ordered fine off massdrop before.

I mean if you end up buying it.

Gotcha.

>Made in Germany
Except for the case. And the crystal. And the hands. And the Dial. And the movement.

Lmao just look at your phone clock

What do you guys think of Laco? About their new pilot black auto watch. I'm thinking of buying it.

>Laco

got a rado.

Can't be arsed to clean it to mirror shine since I intend on wearing it every day. All the imperfections you can see could be wiped away though, as far as I can tell.

>arbor mounted seconds drive wheel
What is this nineteen-fucking-ten? I hate this anachronistic luddite shit.

Jesus what an ugly piece of shit.

What does that mean?

MUH HOROLOGICAL HERITAGE

>almost no sub 40mm handwinding fliegers

Why?

Classful routing is obsolete, it uses the old subnet classes from RFC1918 (iirc) but these days nearly all routing is classless. Classful routing doesn't send a subnet mask and relies on RFC compliance to pick out link local reservations, classless sends a subnet mask.

Thank you

What’s the longest you’ve owned your Alpinist /wt/? The one thing I’ve noticed online is how often I see these things for sale. Makes me wonder, after the honey moon period, do they typically wear off in charm? Why do so many people sell theirs?

The other thing I guess it could be is simply that the price is high for them right now and they want to capitalize on that.

should i?

Those hands are fucking horrendous, it's Franken as fuck. They look like something off a Mondaine.

any recommendations for simiral looking watch with different hands?

H-hi guys what do you think of my new watch?

found this

Bullheads are cool.

A different Poljot/Luch Deluxe. They come with much nicer thin hands.

> see a huldra on sale in WUS
> "Oh, some user was looking for one, I'll mention it in writing"
> Wus listing sold within an hour for price above original list
Sorry user, I'll get you next time.

I've had mine about 3 months now, wore it a few days ago. You need to keep in mind that plenty of people sold because they were able to make a solid profit off of it.

Because most available movements are either automatic, or huge pocketwatch handwinding movements.

>fake dial
>fake hands
Stop.

how to spot fake vs real

See the cut indices? The sides shouldn't be rounded. The hands should be thin.

God damn that thing is THIQQ

like this one? its 75 pounds

R8 my new strap

Decent, yeah. Could go cheaper if you hunt.

>leather on diver/10

Hands still might be wrong, not sure.

also found this one hnggg

Here is my watch

6.5" wrists -- skx007 or skx013?

007 the lugs will just be touching the edges of your wrist. Try some 42mm prospexes on at the mall to get a sense of size

damn it's $130 but i'm so tempted

Picked this up a few weeks ago for a pretty good price. Readability is on point and I don't care much for complications that I'll never use.

I usually hate mods but that looks kinda dope. Still like the og handset though.

Cartier?

Underrated.

Are you 60?

They are pretty highly and widely rated and it is completely deserved.
Not over or under rated imo.