Will Linux desktop ever work?

Although Linux distributions make supreme server operating systems, I realised today, with great sadness that I may never see a desktop version of linux that is actually workable for the majority of people. That linux desktop will never become, in my lifetime, the operating system that most people have on their desktops. I realised that linux desktop editions, for some reason are too buggy and aesthetically clunky to be of use to the majority of people

Am I right to feel that linux will never be the basis of a good desktop operating system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>workable for the majority of people.
Linux is not for everyone. It's more for programmers, sysadmins and scientists.

you're not wrong. the upside is, though, that desktops are pretty quickly becoming a niche product anyway as the world is trending toward more mobile devices.

linux desktop had always for it going that it was super light weight. but lennart made sure that linux desktop now is more bloated than windows.

so no - linux desktop will never be a thing.

it's mostly for companies who need server software and for teenagers and unemployed neckbeards whose only reason to own a PC is to tinker with it around.

everyone else (users who use their personal computer productively) will use a proper desktop OS like windows or macOS

>linux will never become an operating system
You got one thing correct.

I don't think the low market share is about linux being unfriendly, i think there's more logical reasons:

- Microsoft has deals with hardware companies, so most laptop and desktop computers comes bundled with their products.
- Most people uses whatever comes bundled with the hardware and i can bet a lot of them doesn't even know what is an operative system and that you can choose it. If the brand "Windows" were related to quality then WP would be the most used mobile operative system because the demand would be high.
- Microsoft has deals with schools, so people is trained from a young age to use microsoft products. For a lot of them it's a question of being a comfort zone, not even about the difficulty. I can say this because in my own experience most windows users never solve their own problems, they ask other people to solve their problems.
- Microsoft has a huge lock-in with their formats and APIs. Independently on if we can consider they products are good or bad, the fact is that they use anti-competitive measures to lock their users and developers. For example their document formats doesn't honors the "ISO standard" they supposedly issued. If they care about interoperability with competing solutions they would use the well documented version of their format. But no, they uses their dominant position to push a version of the format only they know exactly how it works (interestingly and despite this, i have gotten problems even with different versions of MSO). Most of the documents in this format are created with MSO and most people doesn't even knows about the strict version of the format, this makes their format a moving target for competitors at best. Their development tools is another good example if a lock-in, they only care about compatibility on markets where they're losing like server or mobile.

MOPPING UP

>teenagers and unemployed neckbeards
Ironically, most teenagers and unemployed neckbeards in the world actually use ``proper`` desktop OS like windoze and macos. Adhominem will get you no where.

> own a PC is to tinker with it around.
Where do you think you are? A tech board? You shouldn't be surprised to find those types.

>users who use their personal computer productively
Thanks for giving me the chance to post this:

Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

wtf I hate Linus Torvalds' kernel now.

OK, how many threads do you need to make? who are you trying to convince?

yes, yes, and torrent is used to distribute debian.iso...

There was a point, about 7 years ago now, in which it looked like serious progress was being made. But then Start-Up culture took over the tech industry and now we have software designed by software developers who only develop for the enjoyment of themselves and other software developers.

The "rolling beta" attitude that the Free Software community have now is responsible for the creation of problems that we had fixed long ago.

lol is that Crowder? did you see the one where not gay jared pretended to be gay at the mall and he had to say the same things jared said to women as a gay man?

The only reason I haven't fully switch over is games and VR. Once my entire library is compatible and I can use my Vive, I'll be on board.

Hmmm, no argument? ok, i'm just gonna allow each reader to judge the evidence and decide if the initial claim is fair or not.

I hope not. It seems winbabbies definition of "good desktop operating system" is "indistinguishable from windows".

You should give it a shot and try to play the available games on linux when you can and ask for native versions. For the developers to stop ignoring and to optimize for a new platform it's necessary to show demand, otherwise is the egg-chicken loop (and you'll be forcefully married with windows all your life).

I think that shitty DE's is what scare away normies the most, like Gnome and Unity.
If something like Cinnamon or XFCE was the norm, we could see more people using it.

he needs to earn that check

ChromeOS would be a perfectly fine operating system if it wasn't spyware.

Has nothing to do with Linux itself, chrome os is Linux and it just werks. Microsoft and apple have am invested interest to sell people operating systems so people buy them. Linux will become dominant when the costs of development and support is not as profitable as selling tools which is slowly happening.
I.e. opportunity loss

I find Linux desktops far more comfortable to use OP. You just don't realize it because your chronic case of baby duck syndrome has caused you to judge everything by how closely it approximates your prior conditioning (using nonfree desktops like windows).
Linux offer far greater flexibility than non-free desktop environments and generalizing the whole family as "buggy and unaesthetic" demonstrates your severe ignorance on the topic.

You have to have serious mental issues to use any of those alternatives instead of Adobe Photoshop/Premiere, Paint Tool SAI, heck even Sony Vegas is better than Kdenlive.
OpenToonz seems to be quite decent for frame by frame animation so I'll give you that, however, if you hate yourself enough you could run all those programs on Windows anyway, so... remind me what's the point of using Linux for anything that isn't programming again?

>inb4 botnet
Your self-centered paranoid delusions are a non-issue for most users, me included.
>inb4 replying to a copypasta
Yes user, I know it's a copypasta, I'll reply to it anyways.
>inb4 it's not Linux is GNU+Linux
Fuck off, Stallman.

ChromeOS took a large investment ... and really that can't be avoided. What makes ChromeOS works is that they control the entire stack down to the bios and have a certification program to keep the number of hardware configurations low, which allows them to do half decent QA for upgrades. Which is also a significant ongoing cost they pay not to sell tools, but to sell their users.

I think a company could fund this kind of effort without making the OS spyware, you could still make money on the certification process and by owning the default app store. It would take a lot of investment though, Valve doesn't seem to have the balls

It's used by poor research PhDs and IT guys who think that's how real programmers do it.

Anyway, isn't it weird that people rely on package managers while using Linux. It seems contrary to the stereotypical Linux users philosophy and it feels a bit like using the Apple app store. Why does installing something manually mean the program has to splat files all over the place.

Agreed. I was just pointing out that the problem isn't a technological limitation of Linux but just economical.

works on my machine

fuck off brainlet.

Package managers predate app stores by like 20 years

Nice argument.

Linux is much more flexible on the Desktop side of things.
Every User can Control the DE how they like an so get a faster Workflow.

Also:
>Thinking People have a mental disorder because they like one piece of Software over another

You have Problems.

Bump (because I’m an asshole)