/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Previous: →

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s Linux Games: /flt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/purism-linux-smartphone-makes-its-1-5-million-crowdfunding-goal/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Name
packages.debian.org/stretch/bspwm
tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained
github.com/baskerville/bspwm/tree/master/examples/panel
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lemonbar
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for freedom
zdnet.com/article/purism-linux-smartphone-makes-its-1-5-million-crowdfunding-goal/

Why don't the big distros just werk with EFI/GPT drives yet?
Winshit and Apple seem to have figured this out.

>distros just werk with EFI/GPT
they do (?)

Can someone tell me why is my mic much lower then on windows?
Like, people almost cant hear me when i talk over skype/ts3/discord
>everything is set to max in alsa
on windows, everything works fine

Sorry I got mixed up, the default distro installers for none of the major ones (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora) do not recognise the fact that you have a GPT drive mixed with a BIOS system (not necessarily UEFI) and don't set up the /boot/efi partition.

I question why we still need that partition in the 1st place? Shouldn't GRUB be able to work with GPT-type drives by now?

Just to explain my normal installation procedure with Ubuntu (but the exact same thing works on both Debian and Fedora), I set up everything as normal, I create 2 partitions for my SSD, 1 as a 100mb fat32 partition at /boot/efi and 1 as the rest of the drive at /.
I get why this works but I'm wondering why this isn't just handled by GRUB/the installer? It's so clunky to do this shit every time because GRUB can't read GPT drives properly.

Install Gentoo.

kusanagi best girl

>aesthetic af desktop
>but it's Mintshit
the conflict. btw is that background the place from SSS?

It's my first distro, I've only been using linux for about a month so I don't know much of anything about them.

I want to try Alpine Linux on a laptop next.

Also the wallpaper is from:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Name

It's not even an optimal beginner distro, that would be Ubuntu. It's not really your fault, it's the memesters who recommend it instead of recommending either Ubuntu or Debian. Alpines okay, but for your level of wizardry, I'd stick with Ubuntu if you really must distro-hop.

Wow, never seen a KDE desktop that I liked before. Nice job. Almost makes me want to try it.

How is Debian for my first real dive into linux? I used ubuntu years ago and have installed plenty of different distros throughout time but never really riced or used them for anything more than small task.

It's okay, but I would recommend Ubuntu as it is made with noobs like you in mind. Debian expects a certain level of proficiency and there's less handholding.

Ubuntu years ago was probably markedly worse than Ubuntu today. Go with the 17.10 beta because many big changes have been made recently. The 18.04 release should be pretty incredible. My advice is usually to go with LTS (currently that is 16.04) but just this once I would say try 17.10 beta, especially if you have hardware that is 2013 or newer.

Also, always go with the main Ubuntu release, not the crappy variants like Xubuntu or Kubuntu.

Ubuntu is a bad idea. It's actively hostile and just gives you a fuckload of frustration thanks to its half-baked UI implementation that is completely disconnected from how Linux actually works.
Shit like settings that don't appear in the settings menu (looking at you, mouse acceleration) and the mess that is permissions (Did they finally include a way to open a text file with sudo permissions to prevent situations where you are forced to create a text file as sudo in Terminal and then can't edit it from the GUI anymore?) will cause your hair to go grey.
The best way to do Linux is to start properly. Do it command-line only and then expand into GUI once it becomes necessary for your needs. This allows you to actually fix your shit when it inevitably fucks up, because you'll have a better grasp of how the fiddly bits interact.
The worst learning curve to Linux is when you start with a pre-made "user-friendly" distribution. The entry hurdle is bigger when going in balls deep, but the overall learning curve is much smoother.

Why is this happening? I'm not sure but I think this started when I installed a new hard drive, why that would effect it I have no fucking clue

dmesg | grep r8169
[ 3.958304] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
[ 3.967765] r8169 0000:21:00.0 eth0: RTL8168h/8111h at 0xffff9f4701a89000, 4c:cc:6a:f4:45:48, XID 14100800 IRQ 50
[ 3.967768] r8169 0000:21:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9200 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
[ 3.969116] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: renamed from eth0
[ 4.946368] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 4.946370] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 6.531708] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 6.594207] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 8.184134] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 8.255420] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 9.844527] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 9.915800] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 11.505340] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 11.576691] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 13.166155] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 13.237433] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 14.826964] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 14.898246] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 16.487776] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 16.559059] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 18.148600] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up
[ 18.219880] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link down
[ 19.853041] r8169 0000:21:00.0 enp33s0: link up

After that final link up it stays up, but it's a pain cause none of my autoload programs work properly until i refresh

It's boring to reply to shitty b8 blogs like this but I'll try:

>It's actively hostile and just gives you a fuckload of frustration thanks to its half-baked UI implementation that is completely disconnected from how Linux actually works.
Shut up retarded faggot

>Shit like settings that don't appear in the settings menu (looking at you, mouse acceleration) and the mess that is permissions (Did they finally include a way to open a text file with sudo permissions to prevent situations where you are forced to create a text file as sudo in Terminal and then can't edit it from the GUI anymore?) will cause your hair to go grey.
Most people don't care about tweaking those settings, and there are tweak tools available in the repo for anyone who needs them.

>open text with sudo
That's always been possible you fucking retard.
sudo gedit (or vim if you prefer) textfile.name

>command line only then expand into GUI
LOL fuck off retard

The whole point in giving people a GUI is to let them get things done instead of having to cunt around with a terminal. When shit does inevitably break they can check askubuntu.com or here or google it. I disagree about the learning curve. Sensible people don't have time to worry about learning curves (i.e. of the OS itself), I prefer to spend my time producing or learning something I care about, like programming.

Please be civil, user.

Holy fuckin shit why the fuck is my cursor spazzing between modes fuck you firefox faggots damn POS.

How is it that, 13 years after its creation, pulseaudio is still buggy and unreliable?

I want to into tmux. How can I make it so that

>gnome-terminal automatically starts a tmux session 0 if there are no tmux sessions running, but starts a tmux session 1 if 0 is already present, and so on?
>enable mouse select in tmux, like I have in gnome-terminal?
>combine tmux and vim to have similar configurations that compliment each other?

How is it that the FOSS community can't imagine that government agencies are deliberately crippling their projects using characters such as ?

Actually just tried on windows, and it doesn't come up either. Could I somehow have fucked up my ethernet when I had my case open?

I'm at a loss for words. Are your standards for UI-interaction really so low? Is your reading comprehension really this bad?
Would it have killed you to at least not build a fucking strawman? I was talking about sudoing in the GUI, for example, not the fucking command line. In fact, my entire point was creating a text file via sudo in a command line, then being unable to change it from the GUI because there's no GUI sudo equivalent for some reason, even though even Windows has one.

If anyone wonders why Linux hasn't taken over the desktop yet, it's people like you. You have no fucking standards for user-interaction, barely even understand the fucking topic and yet feel the need to scream about it. And that's why so many UIs in open-source software induce suicidal urges in their users.
That people like you exist just makes me really fucking depressed. It's like having an army of orks run down your gates and tear down all monuments because comfy usability doesn't interest them, only the bare basics of functionality.

Sometimes I wonder if people like you simply don't use GUIs, but rather occasionally do one or two things in them for the novelty. Maybe you just can't understand how to make a good GUI because you live your life in the shell.

> The BSD's are one cohesive operating system where as GNU/Linux is the by-product of combining a group of third party projects.

> If you want to game on your PC, use GNU/Linux or Windows, anything else the BSD's are superior.

> As far as longevity goes, the BSD's will outlive us all and continue to improve, where as no one can predict the future for GNU/Linux since we won't have a kernel to use with GNU when Linus inevitably dies, since he's the only one keeping the Linux foundation reasonably in line. If that does happen, and Microsoft/Intel/Oracle ruin the Linux kernel GNU may have to switch to a BSD kernel or Hurd.

Is this true guys? I have faith in GNU and the FSF but what happens when Linux is completely taken over by Microsoft, Intel and Oracle?

HURD

systemd-boot does it for you

So is Debian good for me?

chrome is, well, chrome
firefox depends on pulseaudio
brave is probably a scam

why is the linux functional browser market so dire?

try qutebrowser or midori they work for most websites.

>they work for most websites
What a ringing endorsement. I appreciate the effort user but it feels like you're proving my point.

1. tmux already does that. If you're detach a session but choose not to reattach it, tmux creates a new session.
2. set -g mouse off. Put that in your tmux config file. But note that, without further configuration, tmux's mouse interactions are worse than your terminal's.
3. I don't know what you mean. If you want color in vim, you might need to do: set -g default-terminal "screen-256color".

I know of only 1 website that does not work in midori and thats mega.nz so websites that use the same download mechanism as mega may not work aswell.

We'll have to hope for the best with the Hurd kernel, i doubt GNU would ever use a BSD licensed kernel.

Record both in audacity to compare

Seconding qutebrowser

What's a login manager that warrants me the most customization. Animation, colors, box placement, text, etc.

Is pip3 or youtube-dl broken in Ubuntu? I tried to install youtube-dl with pip3 in Ubuntu 17.10 but it's not being found on the terminal.

>I tried to install youtube-dl with pip3 in Ubuntu 17.10
why? just installed youtube-dl from the ubuntu repos

youtube-dl works fine in Mint 18.2

It's outdated and shit. The recommended way has always been to install it from pip, not from the repo.
What version of youtube-dl are you talking about? The repo version or pip?

repo version

Wew. If it's normally outdated in your distro, find a new distro. Void is good.

How do you manage LUKS partitions on KDE? I'm really dependent to Gnome Disk :(

Glad to find that bspwm is on debian 9.
packages.debian.org/stretch/bspwm
Installed it and ran startx, but leaves me to black screen. What am I doing wrong?

>Void is good.
this is true

just install youtube-dl from source. It's the only time critical software I know of

I just ended up downloading the script and running it manually. Kinda dumb that pip doesn't just work like it did before. Why does everything get shittier?

Works for me and others. Report bugs.
You're retarded.

LightDM with the Webkit greeter and you creating your login page yourself.

t. lennart "notabug" poettering

t. retarded idiot who has no idea what he's talking about, complaining about things he's apparently not even using
Just consider a late abortion at this point.

Linus has no power now anyway, he isn't on either of the two main boards.

If your bspwmrc and xinitrc are correct, then that may be the right thing. You might not have set a feh-like background and bspwm doesn't come with a bar, so you might reasonably just see a black screen. Try some of bspwm's keybinds, like super+enter to create a terminal.

Does gtk theme config work on Xubuntu 16.04?
Can I also change the color of the window borders with that?

As I've said before, it's because pulseaudio was not an actual solution to the mess that is GNU/Linux audio. All pulse really is is sweeping it all under a big rug.
That's the exact same shit they're doing with systemd. It doesn't matter how well they are programmed, the very foundation of the design concepts are terrible and we shouldn't be putting up with them.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Oh shit, I didn't even realize I was in *that* thread. Thanks for bringing it to my attention based Stallman

Sauce on that motoko neofetch image

GTK themes have nothing to do with window border colors. That's the window manager's job.
Xfce has a separate tool to change window manager options, including its theme.

I know that XFCE has a separate tool for customizing windows, but I can't change colors there...

If you know so much about the foundations of init systems, service supervision and other lower level system tools, why don't you write your own software which will replace the "shit" solutions that currently exist? If not that, why don't you contribute your immense knowledge by creating standards which other people could implement?

You have to edit the window manager theme to change its colors.

How do I edit it?

Text can be edited with text editors.

I already have created a standard. It's called the "not shit" standard. Personally I think it's a very flexible and fair standard, unfortunately some people always insist on not following it.

>no actual technical specifications, but only buzzwords

Yeah, nah, you're a retard with no actual knowledge who is just parrotting edgy opinions to feel good about himself.

>All pulse really is is sweeping it all under a big rug.
That's pretty funny when the pic compare a free software to a black box.

I wasn't making any claims, you were. That's not how it works. Another thing that proves how retarded you are, because you apparently can't comprehend something as simple as this.

Obviously those two images weren't created by the same person. The left is an actual accurate diagram and the right was just tacked on by some winfag who visited /fglt/.
I didn't save it because the right side is accurate, I saved it because the right side expresses (comically) the idea that things can be more simple.

But here, forget images and memes then. Read an actual article on the subject:
tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained
It doesn't even matter whether pulseaudio is "good" or "bad" in terms of quality of coding. The problem is that it's not even the solution most of its supporters think it is.

Just on my way to de-google myself. Any email service recommendations?

Okay, it works. Got a background, but I have a question with using a panel. Specifically lemonbar. I was allowing the Arch Wiki and put panel & in my config and no bar shows. Will it not appear till I put information to display?

Im bored and getting kind of tired of how unstable KDE Neon can be
Recommend me a distro and a WM/DE to try out on my laptop

Also, where do I go configure lemon. Is screenrc something already on my system?

bump

You have to
1) download and install lemonbar
2) create and correctly place the files that are here:
github.com/baskerville/bspwm/tree/master/examples/panel

So you'd just append the above link's bspwmrc and sxhkdrc to your local versions. Then you'd place the panel, panel_bar, and panel_colors files wherever your $PATH is. And you'd also append the lines from the above's profile file to whatever "profile" you want: .xprofile, .bash_profile, .zprofile, whatever your system needs.

lemonbar doesn't have configuration, per se. You basically create scripts that include data (for instance, date, time, battery percentage) which you then pipe into lemonbar. That's the extent of configuration.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lemonbar

imho, it might be simpler to use polybar

is that charls?

yes

hey dudes

how do i configure PIA on ubuntu 17.04????

i follow the instructions and do the stuff with the terminal whatever and it goes well but i can't connect to any servers even. works fine on windows

i think i need something called iconfig???

lolwhat

What's a mainline distro that has bitcoin-qt as a default package?

I am not having luck with it on debian. I have to go stable -> testing -> unstable and it's a mess.

I just want to install bitcoin-qt

yes, i know i could compile it from source on debian, but it's more the principle of the matter. i was a giganerd and was fucking around with gentoo when i was like 13. i just don't have time for that anymore

Install Gentoo Prefix

i dont know if you're trolling me but i dont want to touch gentoo ever again

>dont want to touch gentoo
grenntext time

my time is more valuable at this point in life than it was then

also the computer is slow as fuck so i don't want to compile things

>want to install debian
>Not Found
>The requested URL /debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso was not found on this server.
>Apache/2.4.26 (Unix) Server at cdimage.debian.org Port 443
>mfw

Anyone got a download link to this?

Oh sorry, I only got round to reading this. Yeah I did misunderstand your earlier post. You're asking for something along the lines of Windows privilege escalation.

I assumed you were talking about something that was specifically an Ubuntu problem, whereas what you're mentioning is something I've never seen done on Linux. I don't know if it can or should be done. There's probably a good reason it isn't, since Windows 7 has been around for a decade and the community has copied whatever good things it did since then.

What you're saying about the GUI being awkward, sorry but I don't agree. I've always used the GUI alongside the terminal, as do many other people, and guess what, it works okay and we get on with our lives. yes its barebones but it's also why its good. Not everything needs Steve Jobs cock stinking it up with extra UI. I hardly live in the shell,
I believe in balance, when the GUI is right, use it, when the terminal is right, use it. Right tool for the fucking job.

Ubuntu.

Learn to package programs yourself. Switching distributions just because yours doesn't have a package is retarded.

This is why I keep saying use Ubuntu. You faggots don't want to listen and prefer to come here to cry about Debian being shit instead of correcting your mistake.

outlook 2bh. don't be a retard and DIY your email server.

And yet you're posting on here
What is cross compiling, Mr. Supergenius? So you would rather install a new distro than build one single package from source? Yeah, that's time well spent.

Yeah

I

know,

right?

>cross compiling

>needing to do this to get shit done
When you start needing to use multiple computers to build shit that you need fast enough, you know it's just better to use a binary distro.

>And yet you're posting on here
Many people come on here to both share advice and get advice.

Why are

you asking

for help

if you're

not going

to listen

to other

people's suggestions?

If you

had half

a brain,

this wouldn't

be an

issue.

fuck off, you're worse than actual redditors

if i start postfix and register in DNS other mail services can contact me?

There's

nothing

wrong

with

Reddit.

yes there is