No swap=speed increase

I installed Fedora 26 with nothing but a boot and root directory and it runs lightning fast. Can anyone explain to me why it runs faster without a swap partition? (I'm not worried about running out of RAM anytime soon)

Explain "runs faster"
Is it on an SSD?
Does it boot faster?
Does it load applications faster?
Can you rm -rf / faster?

>runs faster without a swap partition?
What did you use to benchmark?

It runs on a Hard disk, it boots a lot faster, applications load and open within a heartbeat. I felt it, trust me you'd know if you had used by machine before, the difference is like running a 2G machine for years and then running with 8G.

What's 2G and 8G?

>I felt it, trust me
Ok you're an actual tard.

2GiB of RAM and 8GiB of RAM.

How about you try to explain why multiple people have been reporting their systems running faster without a swap partition (Until their RAM maxes out that is) and stop shitposting?

try setting swappiness to 10 or even 1
the default is 60, and goes up to 100, it tells linux how agressively it should swap, with 0 being never, and 100 being whenever it can
setting it to 1 for example, only swaps when absolutely necessary (when you're really low on physical ram)

What's GiB
What the fuck
This fucker never read a book nor read anything tech-related

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrr what is binary? GUISE???

i can see you haven't
in linux, single-letter variants (K, M, G, T...) refer to the binary prefix versions (KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB...)

Hard drive are too slow, since 10 years ago I dont use swap.

How about you post a video comparison before claiming things without video evidence.

I don't expect you to believe me, neither did I ever imply that was the point of my thread. I owe you in no way any form of evidence. My thread was about people explaining why a potential speed increase is possible without a swap partition.

Use zram and change vm.swappiness for even more (((((speed))))

Linux has uniquely terrible resource management, especially when it comes to memory. Note that resource management means more than just how much memory it uses, before some autist posts his le minimal Arch installation that only uses 50K of memory

Pretty much every mainstream OS has terribad resource management. See every version of windows and every OS X version since snow leopard

Oh wow who would have known that asking the hard drive to write temp files on itself instead of just relying on ram would load and copy shit slower because it needs to use resources on that instead.
Btw if you have enough ram you do not need swap.

i never make a swap partition wtf is that for? is my computer going to break?

NT actually has very good memory management, even if its' management of other resources is shit.

It's probably made in the default distro settings. It's a partition in your hdd/ssd that holds the memory if you run out of ram. It's slow as balls, so if you hit swap constantly, you need mor ram.

Disabling swap is a Sup Forums meme. If you do it, your system will become really unstable if you use too much RAM. Swap is only written to when on an SSD if it needs to.

This is exactly how I know we're in the dark timeline. Microkernel lost and with macrokernel came horrible resource management.

>Why does removing my swap partition make my computer go faster
>I don't expect you to believe that removing my swap partition makes my computer go faster
ok

>correct post goes by completely ignored

business as usual on Sup Forums

/thread

>not having your os installed in a usb 2.0 drive

nigga it has 10+ partitions, it's time to hajima

What are you talking about?
Microkernel sucks for anything that isn't a desktop computer.
OSX has a microkernel setup.
Poorfags need not be worried about.

I do and then it boots over USB1.1, even though everyone say it was impossible and still says it's impossible to boot a g3 imac from USB.
I'll admit it's a painful process to go through openfirmware every time, but it fucking works.

i never use swap. no problem

t. not a poorfag, 8gb -> 32 gb on my systems

how is this done on ubuntu?

swap is just like a paging file in Windows, where some temporary files go or when ram gets full

it a pretty old trick to reduce swappiness in order to gain performance

>with nothing but a boot and root directory
what's the point of having a separate boot partition?
I've used linux installed on a single partition (no swap, no boot, no home) for several years

Grub requires a seperate boot partition under some circumstances, like if you are using an unsupported file system for your main partition or if you using GPT with bios.