How the fuck does this even work?

How the fuck does this even work?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Las_Estrellas
youtube.com/watch?v=DbKNlFcg02c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It doesn't, claims on the Antarctic mean practically nothing.

I think we do have more than a claim to it (it expires in 2050 under international law) if I al not wrong.

But only scientist live there because of weather conditions.

Starting to get sick of Argentina desu

Argies will never stop trying to steal white mans land.

Argentina is getting in some trouble with tge UK once again, I smell a war

This is missing the USA and Russia's "oh and we can take the whole thing if we want" claim

>Britain talking about stealing land

>Argentina claims a portion already claimed by the UK

Classic.

>m-muh Malvinas

I think it's obvious that the UK's claims trump those of Argentina and Chile.

>m-muh Malvinas

>m-muh Malvinas

As far as I'm aware, countries who don't have a claim on it can research on any area they want without permission from the country who claims it

antartic treaty was specifically created because of the overlapping territories and possibility that USA or soviets would try claim it leading to another war
it basically says 'I dont give a fuck who claimed what, its all frozen (and neither valid or invalid) until this treaty no longer exists, nothing done while this treaty exists matters for the claims'
basically, 'we want our claims but not a war anytime soon' treaty
when it expires those claims will be put to the test, nations like Australia will have a more valid claim as we have many research stations and the UN recently outlawed Japanese fishing in Australian antarctic waters because Australia claimed it was a whale sanctuary under our authority in the area
USA will want to be a dick and try invalidate all claims like they train to claim the northwestern passage is international waters unless china is so powerful by then all they can hope for is euros and Australia to control antartica instead

also antartica/chile will not keep those claims since they have no diplomatic or military way to back it up, Argentina has permanent settlements so they will probably keep a little bit around those though since UK isn't going to exile them

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System

All claims are suspended for the time being, this is basically just calling dibs in the remote scenario the land ever comes up for grabs...

Like China that just planted research stations all over the continent.

unironically hilarious canadian shitpost

>Furansu surrounded by Autsralia
W-why? H-how?

So absolutely no risk we will ever see a nuclear war over a continent with no native populations?

>m-muh malvinas

Chile also has a permanent settlement
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Las_Estrellas

We create "scientific stations" around on our claimed land, to keep an eye on our subjects(the penguins) and keep them in line.
Also income from licenses given out to cruise lines and other private explorers.

conflict will certainty come from Antarctica eventually, antartica and australia were the last two continents to break apart so many of the resources in australia would also be abundant in antartica
the war will most likely be economic with some brinkmanship, the resources wouldn't outweigh the cost of a war between major powers

>m-muh Malvinas

yeah well maybe china/russia will start sucking your dick to help them try claim antartica soon

I would tell you to imagine the resources like oil, but then remembered you never had any.

My bad.

Who got these shitty islands, finally?

Absolutely none, for practical purposes antarctica is like outer space and common heritage to all

There's no date set for expiration, in geopolitic terms you're correct the Americans will alow no one to have it, but not just them, the Russians too... China will likely pursue the exact same policy, the land is worthless, and if that changes at some point chances are international management will aply and proceeds be sent to Africa or something... In all fairness it is the right thing to do anyway...

Turbot war 2.0 soon brother.

UK

Good for 'em

Really though it should be owned by corporations so that they can exploit the shit out if it for profit.

They belong to the white man.

Fun fact, France has more of a claim to the Falklands than both the UK and Africa.

This is why we can't have nice things

>the right thing to do
antartica is a shithole its got penguins and seals, nothing else spectacular about it
the only reason so much research goes on there is because it gives each country a foothold there

there are other claims, self determination for example. Chile and Argentina have actual towns there.

Thee antarctic will be latin american, there's no doubt about it. anglos can gtfo.

>Fun fact, France has more of a claim to the Falklands than both the UK and Africa.
Really? kek.

Why does everybody want these islands?
There are diamonds in it?

>m-muh Malvinas

yes, no doubt, but the fact remains it is a useless effort, niothing worth dying for and it's somebody getting killed that's the only way anyone gets it...

No, barely anyone winters there and there's no self sufficiency... Granting you could make it work with sufficient funding the UN will never acknowledge the claims... Basically the only thing you can actually do is fuck up the fragile ecosystems, there's already a negative impact from tourism, and rob the rest of mankind/future generations of something invaluable...

Malouines are French.

Yes, look

>m-muh Malvinas

>There are diamonds in it?
Something better
Oil.

>Something better
>Oil.
Oh. I understand now.

it doesn't.

see: Russian, American, Chinese bases on other countries' claims.

Basically it doesn't.

See: youtube.com/watch?v=DbKNlFcg02c

tbqh Belgium should take over the unclaimed land and deport all the Moroccans there

Well actually we didn't know there was oil there until like 3 years ago
Before then it was a matter of maintaining territorial integrity and to show that we mean business
Now it's maintaining territorial integrity and oil

ltierally just penguin shit filled islands 8000 miles from either of us, it's just the argies are obsesseed with it and it's a useful distractions from their politics or something

I'm pretty certain once the treaty stops being of any value countries like China, India, Russia and the US, and organisations like the EU and ASEAN will start to chimp over this shit.

1) Your claim doesn't mean jack if you can't back it up with force. I imagine we'll respect Norway and the Anglosphere's claims, and at least work with them a lot that we can build bases there.

2) Just generally makes me sad that we're going flood into Argentina and build there.

the oil thing is pretty recent actually

FUCK I meant to write Antarctica

Ha ha, ok thanks for the explanation.
Politics are sometimes (what I say, sometimes, I mean all the time) silly huh?

shit Barack you gave it up shut it down shut it down!

"permanent settlement" should be defined here, im on a permanent station right now, but people doesnt stay in Antarctica for more than 12-14 month...

t. winter shift guy

m-mes malouines

wew lad

How common is sex gay there?

How cold is there?
Is there anything interesting?
Why are you there?
Pics?

>dirty anglo scum still trying to steal more of our clay

I TOLD YOU LAST TIME TO GET OFF MY CLAY

GET OUT

>""""""""""""""Our""""""""""""""" clay
Fight me m8, round 2.

Ive got your other webm

Hay algun requisito para poder ir allá como hiciste vos?

>m-muh Malvinas

Tener aguante y morder la almohada 6 meses

Shouldn't it be night in the antarctic right now?
It's summer and midnight sun in the north right now,

>the earth is round
nice meme

It should all be ours. We got to the pole first.

B.o.B shut the fuck up

It can't. Argentina, France and Chile should cede their claims so Antarctica can be a European continent.

>Australia
>nz

god... murrika... also no, fuck northern invaders

Southern Pole for Southern people

Beaners already ruined South America.

The world doesn't need any more brown third world countries.