I'm trying to learn your language Germany but this shit's a pain in the ass...

I'm trying to learn your language Germany but this shit's a pain in the ass. The fuck you need 7 different a's and the's for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F1aOWzJeUV8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Been learning for ~1.5 years. You get used to it. Don't force it, let it come naturally.

7 years in and I still fuck it up. Even if you know the chart you'll occasionally forget the gender and make an ass out of yourself. Just take 's advice and don't give up.

Exactly, rather work on your pronounciation and general grammar.

Read a lot of german books, I recommend Karl May for a good vocabulary and grammar feel.

It is a bit dated, but still very good german.

You'll get used to it. Just take some time.

read read read. the only way to do it.
you need to get these in your blood, if you need to think i guarantee you that you fuck up.

The fuck would you need definite articles in the first place?

Germanic languages, pffft.

Says the man with 16 cases.

They serve a purpose you accomplish with noun cases or declensions or something like that.

In Swedish it's a suffix rather than an article. You still distinguish subtle variations of meaning, just with different grammatical constructs.

i want to learn finnish one day, dont ruin my mood

Unless you love finland or have a finnish friend, its pretty worthless

So do I, user. So do I.

desu Finnish and Estonian cases are easier than you think. You just learn the word and add a case ending.
German is a night mare to learn because of the stupid Der, Die, Das bullshit. It would make more sense to just say "d' bus, d' auto"
t. Eesti on holiday in the USA.

do it for Miriam

What is this?

2bh all that shit's only hard in the very beginning. If you're motivated to learn German this will probably be the only "hard" part; you're gonna look back and think "how the fuck did I think that was hard?"
Oh and if you hate this, wait 'till you learn the 3 past tenses and 2 futures AHAHAHAA

t. 3 years of German+exchange program experience

it's a webm.

Germanske språk hadde i utgangspunktet ikke noe skille mellom bestemt/ubestemt form for substantiver. De formene vokste fram her i norden fǿrst rundt år 900 (tidlig vikingtid), med tok utgangspunkt i bruk av et etterstilt pronomen "inn" (= den).

Vi kan tenke oss en slik utvikling for et uttrykk som f.eks. "den store mannen":

enn stóri maðr / maðr enn stóri → maðrinn stóri / stóri maðrinn

Adjektivene hadde derimot alltid et skille; altså mellom '(den) STORE mannen' og '(en) STOR mann' (for deg).

A Jew

Miriam is Germanic

get this table in your head

*hoster* Judisk *hoster*

Nei, germansk.

>it's a webm.
No shit! A movie? tv show?

an Austrian TV show, "Vier Frauen und ein Todesfall"

>Learning a language other than English

You're an idiot OP.

You're missing gegenüber in the dative row. Confuses beginners since both gegen and über are two-way prepositions.

Jeg kan hevde dette i flere dager.
Judisk.

Miriam er germansk. Det er DU som er jǿde.

setter pris på at du bruker GT forresten

it's missing a few others too actually

Most of those look like memes to me, except maybe entlang. How is "dank" a preposition, though? I know it takes dative as a verb (ich danke dir, zum beispiel) but just how? Same for "laut," isn't it an adjective?

>Det er DU som er jǿde.
En sekstende :^)
>setter pris på at du bruker GT forresten
T-takk, menn hva er "GT"?

>hva er "GT"?
cuckle trans late.

Who is she?

youtube.com/watch?v=F1aOWzJeUV8

>google translate
Kek, det er fra min kinnskap. En islandsk oppdragelse og tusund års drittposta på /Norgetråden/. Menn takk, for å tenke min norsk er så bra.

A Jew

ó... ég tala íslensku. (Miriam er germönsk)

Dank ihm ist es...

Thanks to him basically

Ayy, ertu huldumaðurinn í /norgetråden/ frá Vestur-Noregur? Ég er gríndvíkingurinn.

Very weird...

"dank" is used like the construction "Thanks to..."
Thanks to the man who... = Dank dem Mann, der...
"laut" as a preposition means "according to"
Since you anglos don't have cares you use "to"-constructions for most if it

Thanks m8

nei ég er óslómaður
>gríndvíkingurinn
hef saknað þín

Old English :)

I think I've seen that in Germany: "laut vielen Quellen," or something like that. I assumed it was just an idiom, though.

>óslómaður
Ég man eftir þér líka. Hvernig hefurðu það, m8?
>hef saknað þín
Ég hef saknað alla Norðmennin, þið eru best ;_;

So much cooler sounding before latin and Normanshits game.

þu bist riht, min freond.

Unsurprisingly, that was easy enough to understand.

It was fake, sadly.
Probably would be closer to "þou hefða rett, frændi min."

Are you learning Icelandic?

No, I was raised speaking it. You thinking of learning, lad?

Swedish is sort of a middleground between those two. Though it has two types of definite articles: -en/-et and den/det. The latter ones are supplementary and used only when a noun is precedeed by an adjective.

But why

Fixed.

Wow. That's amazing. I can't find any manuals in Russian. I often heard that Icelandic is quite hard to learn because of its prevailing inflection.

>in Russian
You need to search for this in English, duh.

It's quite a descriptive and conplex language so I'd imagine it's quite a pain to learn for a lot of reasons. In terms of inflections I'm not sure, but we do have some words that are pretty different to pronounce than any other language's (eyjafjallajökull, laugardegi, etc.) Come to think of it, yeah, we do have a slightly different way of saying some letters, for example Óskar you'd say the "Ós-" quite loud and kinda muted in the back of your throat. It's not too hard to learn but it's near impossible to perfect, I'd say.

Good luck m8, you should try finding sources that are Icelandic-English. If you speak enough English it can't hurt.

And my problem is my English isn't so good either. I'm interested mainly in Altaic languages(Orkhun Uighur, Mongolian, Evenki, Orochi).

I believe it would have been "eart", rather than "bist"

So essentially, "Thou art right, mine friend," to give it some equivalent in Modern English, however dated.

If anything, English makes more frequent use of more tenses. Articles seem harder to me.
But I agree you might run into those couple of weird Germans who use plusquamperfect all the fucking time for no reason.

"bist" má vera rétt... fornenska hafði "beon" ásamt "wesan" (vera). en ég veit þó ekki hvernig má segja "rétt hjá þér" á þessari tungu.

Why would you waste your time learning a completely useless language?

Thanks, man! First, I need to improve my English. And, undoubtedly, I think to learn some Icelandic at least a little.

>for example Óskar you'd say the "Ós-" quite loud and kinda muted in the back of your throat.
[ʔos]?

Laut vielER Quellen or einiger.

You have to put the plural on viele as well.

Also link it to Quellen so vielER.

Grammatically incorrect because this is the hypercorrection to genitive that occurs in colloquial speech. You probably also say wegen dem... instead of wegen des.. . See

I actually say "wegen des".

My family is a bit old fashioned.

English basically has the simple past (I did), the perfect (I have done), the pluperfect (I had done), and rarely the future perfect (I will have done), which I think is fairly easy.

However, the difficult part I would imagine for foreigners is the difference between the progressive present and simple present - "I go to the store" vs "I am going to the store". I think that might be one of the hardest things for ESL learners to get the hang of, other than the spelling, of course.

I was thinking of Old English, rather than Icelandic.

"wegen mir" oder "wegen meiner"?

There are regional differences regarding which tenses people use. In southern Germany, the past is typically expressed via just perfect (he has done), whereas up north, people tend to say "he did"

>I was thinking of Old English, rather than Icelandic.
uh... yes? so was I. what makes you think I wasn't?
are you still Grindavíking or are you another guy?

It's both correct, but only if meiner is followed by a noun. It's a possessive pronoun and as such can't stand by itself

"Meinetwegen" :DD

I'm another guy. I thought you were talking about some other language since you typed your response in either Icelandic or some form of Old Norse. My bad.

Should've chosen a language without articles, then.

dies, sonst
Ist mir gleich(gültig)

I'm gonna move to Germany in February so I can learn the language.
Is the any way to find a cheap rent in the old part of Düsseldorf

They probably won't say anything if they see you in an immigrant centre desu.

He's probably bitching about inflecting articles, which English doesn't do. Though tbf, IDK of any article-having language that doesn't inflect the article other than English or Arabic.

> It's a possessive pronoun and as such can't stand by itself
Doch, "ich" als Objekt im Genitiv ist "meiner". dasselbe wie Isländisch "mín", z.B. "vegna mín". im Deutschen klingt es aber sehr archaisch und die Meisten benutzen deswegen Dativ (mir) statt Genitiv (meiner)

no I just wrote it in Icelandic because I thought you were the Icelandic American guy. the point was that Old English had "beon" as well as "wesan", and that those two verbs have different declension. most people assume OE had "is" wherever modern English has "is", but that isn't the case.

immobilienscout24 or ask the studierendennetzwerk if you are a university student, or just write them eventhough you aren't a student, they probably help you anyways.

to clarify, "is" comes from from "wesan" while "bið"/"biþ" comes from "beon".

I'm sure there is another language like English out there where declensions are non-existent.

Since we're in the neighborhood, having grammatical gender is fucking ridiculous and makes me want to free the shit out of your language.

This is where I quit in 8th Grade.
Fuck German.

lmao git gud

IIRC, beon was used for permanent truths, like Spanish "ser", while wesan was used for temporary/stative conditions, like Spanish "estar". It turns out I was mistaken in my initial analysis. Obviously, as English evolved, the distinction dissolved and both roots are now present in the modern verb but in different conjugations.

Tbf, English declension still exists in a rudimentary sense, with -'s as the Genitive marker and with pronouns being still fully declined, and ships are still poetically referred to as "she", although this is likely by conscious identification of them as women since "scip" was neuter in Old English.

>the point was that Old English had "beon" as well as "wesan"
Why were there two? Why did they end up merging together?

On that note, articles persist in some form in Slovene as well, just not in standard literary Slovene.

See I've heard that Romance languages got articles (which Latin lacks) because Ancient Greek had them, and they needed a word to translate the Ancient Greek article when translating parts of the Bible, though IDK how much that's accurate given that the Vulgate was the standard Bible for many centuries.

>Ameriburgers can't deal with gendered articles

Le laugh

>I've heard that Romance languages got articles (which Latin lacks) because Ancient Greek had them

That could be one explication. Another is that Romance languages all more or less come from Low Latin (Sermo Vulgaris, Common Speech) which was unregulated, unwritten and non-literary Latin. Said Common Speech progressively lost declensions and a lot of other Latin features, which were replaced by strict word order and mandatory/new articles when they were facultative/non-existent before.

Then Proto-Romance language evolved with the vernacular languages of their country of origin, creating French, Spanish, Portuguese and all.

I find it poetic and it's not like you get a say in that. You just need to learn one more thing about the word. If it was a Slavic language you'd need to learn the gender and the kind of declension it follow.

The curse of having a naturally easy and dogshit simple language is that everything else is hard mode.

Same with how English lost declension. Old English was fairly declined, but after the Norman Conquest only the uneducated peasantry spoke it, thus making it similarly unregulated and unwritten, until it finally lost almost all inflection (just a random sidenote, it's "conjugation" with verbs and "declension" with all other parts of speech) and became the language we all know, love, and banter today.

Instead of just learning "Mann", learn "der Mann(¨-er)", so you learn the word, its plural and its gender at the same time.

It makes me happy that Mandarin won't be the default in our lifetime because most people don't want to fuck with that shit.

Kinda this. As shitty as English orthography can get, it's IMO a whole lot easier than memorizing a crapton of Chinese characters and their meanings and pronunciations, let alone having to debate between Simplified and Traditional, etc.

It wont be default in anyone's lifetime. It is way too fucking Byzantine.

>we cucked English into losing its declensions
Haha, feels good

>just a random sidenote, it's "conjugation" with verbs and "declension" with all other parts of speech
Low Latin old lost declension though. We kept conjugation and it's still a pretty heavy part of our language (only 1 Frenchman in 5 know what the Subjunctive is and how to form it for example)

Mandarin won't be the world's language. Most the outside trade with China is done in English, and all the other trade will be in English.

>We kept conjugation and it's still a pretty heavy part of our language (only 1 Frenchman in 5 know what the Subjunctive is and how to form it for example)
It feels like you're cheating a bit though, when words like parle, parles and parlent are pronounced exactly the same, only written differently.

Basically this, though it was already on its way out, given that late Old English was already merging the Dative and the Accusative into a single Objective case.

English also has a subjunctive ("If I were you", etc.), although it differs from the indicative only in the third-person singular in most verbs other than "be".

And agreed about Mandarin. I don't see any language surpassing English as the lingua franca until perhaps that concept becomes obsolete with perfect translation abilities.

>>we cucked English into losing its declensions
>Haha, feels good
GIVE THEM BACK

GIVE THEM BACK RIGHT NOW

>words like parle, parles and parlent are pronounced exactly the same, only written differently
I agree, the big curse of our language (and what makes it pretty hard) are homonyms.
>J'en veux plus !
Can mean "I want more" or "I don't want it anymore". Funny language heh ?

>perfect translation abilities
The only way to get that would be a self-learning AI, and I'm not joking. Language is a such a big and non-programmable part of our brain perfect translation that keeps the meaning will be pretty hard.

Only when you promise not to bother us with anglicisms

ask me anything about Old Norse