/weekend Vietnam thread/

This thread is up at Sunday, 1:00 PM (Vietnamese time - UTC+7) every week. It's a place to ask and talk about Vietnamese people, culture and language.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HPKv6lW2hlE
vocaroo.com/i/s0mAUIw35pPH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how do you manage being a commie but not being creepy at the same time.
vietnam looks comfy even compared to non commies

why are your guys name so goddamn hard to pronounce

they are only comfy if you have $, but well at least we are not too depressed and not brainwashed by the government.

Actually the government doesn't even hate capitalism, we were taught that capitalism is good.

just copy and paste them on Google Translate m8. It's the correct pronunciation.

Fucking commies

I would like to echo this comment.

The fact is, nobody believes in communism there. It's not easy at all to find a commie in Vietnam. Even the state officials often just pretend that they like communism.

i suddenly wanna eat vietnamese food

Redpill me on Diem Vietbros

you guys are pretty cool
when i backpack through south east asia I will definitely be visiting you guys :)

The government portraits him as an American puppet.

I've always wondered, China is culturally pretty similar to Vietnam. On Sup Forums China is shown to be almost lawless where everyone is out to scam the other (fakes, "you get what you pay for" mentality) and seemingly general disregard for human life (not helping people who may be dying, lack of good Samaritan protections).

Is Vietnam the same? Why doesn't Vietnam have these same stereotypes? Or is it just that Vietnam isn't as "relevant" as China and therefore it just gets less notice?

This is the hard question. But culturally, Viets and Chinese are basically the same.

But
>not helping people who may be dying
this might be exaggerated, we don't like China but noone can be this heartless.

Thats a meme. irl most Chinese are normal.

Vietnam isn't a threat to the West or US, and they don't have a 100 million strong middle class fucking up other countries. Hence, nobody cares.
Their country is poorer, shittier, dirtier etc. in every way desu. They will deny this but it's truth.

This guy tell the truth.

I can find a bunch of videos of chinks climbing burning buildings to save some kid or having 20 of them come out of nowhere to flip a car over to help some dumb bitch. Nobody wants to see them tho. China is the boogeyman.

If you want to know for yourself, go to Vietnam and China and compare.

His policies were somewhat harsh in the public eye but it was purely for the good of the nation and is the best course of action given the circumstances. Calling him an American puppet is a fucking communist propaganda since his policies was actually in conflict with the American's interest. He demanded more freedom for South Vietnam and is against American involvement there.

At the time he was assassinated, the only thing he had with him was a pack of cheap cigarette, the kind poorest commoner smoke. He didn't even own a home or had any valuable property.

Truly a great leader, Vietnam doesn't deserve him.

Chào các bạn

Sorry vietbro for derailing the thread. When everything online about Chinks is negative and hostile, I feel obliged to correct it.

Chào.
Viets don't like Chinese actually. It's like Greece and Turkey relationship.

>noone can be this heartless.
Well, the thing that comes to mind is that video of a child getting run over twice and ignored by people who passed by.

But you're probably right. Negative videos are much more impressionable and "news worthy" than positive ones.

Bạn khỏe không?

It's not like we believe in communism, it was forced on us at gun point.

The ones who pretend to believe in communism only do so because they stand to gain from it.

Khỏe chứ, hihi.

Now, this is a standard greeting but noone uses IRL. They usually go "Chào [name], dạo này sao rồi?"

Southern Vietnam bros WW@

I never understand how they judge 1.4 billion by a few shit people. It's like thinking all America is child killers after Adam Lanza, or Miami Nightclub etc. Low IQ way of thinking.

>but noone uses IRL
tôi dã thấy rằng cái nảy
(I have noticed this)

excuse my shit vietnamese. I've only just started learning. And whenever I make a sentence as simple as that, I check the dictionary I bought, I don't trust google translate

>tôi dã thấy rằng cái nảy

That doesn't make any sense. Here's my advice: if you are trying to figure out how to say an English thought in Vietnamese, save yourself the trouble and stop because you won't get it right most of the time. If you don't know how to say it already, then you don't know how to say it.

Instead, if you can, ask someone how to say it in Vietnamese including a full explanation of the answer and start practicing from Vietnamese.

You will develop good habits that will help you formulate correct and natural Vietnamese sentences this way.

>save yourself the trouble and stop because you won't get it right most of the time

That's okay, you need to make errors to learn.
Unless I have a native speaker who is able to explain the entire grammar sitting next to me at all points during my day and telling me how to say everything I say in Vietnamese while also explaining the grammar behind it, I'm going to have to make errors and learn through that.
For example, I know now what I said was wrong, I won't say that next time.

>ask someone how to say it in Vietnamese
if only I had a viet qt by my side to tell me all the time

You have good points
The correct sentence is "Tôi đã thấy cái này".

bruh I got pretty close
I forgot to use đ, and used rằng when it wasnt needed

But the grammar doesn't scare me, I think the pronunciation scares me the most.

Arte you guys mad at America????

We are American fans now.

>Tôi đã nhận thấy điều này.
>______________ như vậy.
>Tôi cũng nhận thấy điều này
>________________ như vậy.

These sentences sounds more natural, Tôi đã thấy cái này is rather rigid and can be confusing in some context.

Mad that you guys didn't finish the job.

How do you guys eat your rice?

youtube.com/watch?v=HPKv6lW2hlE

Why not China?
Why be fan of a country which bombed you to shit?
People view Vietnam War as a good cause there? Here it's just considered a big mistake by everyone

Because China is stealing our sea and islands, selling us fake stuffs.
Boiled it.

Oh, I thought you guys were homies for some reason
Do you want us to come help you Vietnam-chan?

From the little I know, china-relations were historically quite bad, kinda like russia-poland

The more you know I guess
I assumed because of gommunism they'd be closer

thanks for the help!
vocaroo.com/i/s0mAUIw35pPH
>"Tôi đã nhận thấy điều này."
how did I do?
Considering I started learning a few weeks ago and haven't yet actually practiced with native speakers, only my books and duolingo

>Mad that you guys didn't finish the job.
hahahaha

Does China have any neighboring country that likes them?
Seems like everyone around China hates them
Why is this?

because China are cunts.
They consistently exert their power over the nations around them, so it naturally leads to the other nations not liking them

>People view Vietnam War as a good cause there?

Nah. Vietnamese propaganda still address America as a threat to this day. War documentaries are constantly aired on TV to remind people how evil the American empire are.

Only a few of us who realized what we've lost by letting the commies win. I'm saying this as a grandson of a Senior Colonel and many of my relatives are high ranking state police/military officer who fought in the war. We all realized how big of a mistake that is. Sadly I get branded as an ex-South Vietnam supporter everytime I bring this up.

Communism brainwashing is frightening.

Historical big bully in the region, same as Russia I believe. I'm not well versed on Asian relationships or history for that matter, but maybe the Koreans don't dislike China too much? Pakistan doesn't seem to hate them much either, don't know about the central asians

>how did I do?

6/10. Could be better but this is a good start.

They tried to conquer us a few times almost every centuries.

The eastern block isn't really close to Russia because of gommunism, is it? Barring some few exceptions, that is

wew, thanks
also
how come nearly all the vietnamese posters I see on Sup Forums have good English?
I can't remember the last time I saw one of them being pretty shit at English, compared to some Japanese posters or eastern Europeans

Because the ones that have bad English don't even know that Sup Forums (or even Reddit) exists. And they are the majority.

did you study English in school?
Were you the best in your class?

>did you study English in school?
Yes
>Were you the best in your class?
Y E S

My English grade were literally the worst in class 6 years straight.

After graduation I become a NEET who browse 4chinchin and play video games all day, naturally my English improved kek.

wew
so many of the vietnamese who moved here suck shit at English. Obviously their children are all native speakers, but it's hilarious because they only speak Vietnamese to their parents.
My close friend is a great example. Her mother can only make super super simple sentences in English. Despite the fact she's lived here for like 25 years
I don't suppose anyone still learns French there, do they?

French courses are still offered at some private schools and languages & international studies universities but public schools have dropped French course around the year 2000. Before that the number of school teaching English/French courses were about 50/50.

Plenty of people still learns French in order to get scholarships to study there so they can escape from the country.

Most of them were probably poor as fuck, only leaving for Australia because they had no better opportunities in their home country.

I know Sup Forums loves to meme about refugees and third world jimmies, but the board tends to underestimate the amount of suffering one must have been through to abandon everything they know, friends, family etc to live in a completely foreign place and be despised by the locals.

what the fuck is this shilling?
Fuck off cunt, no one said anything about the suffering.
Are you apart of the CTR shills?
If so, go back to and continue your shilling there, don't leak onto other boards. The fuck do they pay you shills for?
And stop using the Brazilian proxy, you're a disgrace to the good niggers of Brazil while talking like a true born and bred commiefornia cuck
fair enough. How do you see the future of Vietnam? How stable is the government? Any chance it'll move to a multi-party system in our lifetime?

These are common types of Vietnamese who immigrate to Australia.

- Boat refugee, 99% of them are poor and uneducated.
- Rich fucks who paid someone in Australia to enter a marriage contract with them to be able to move to Australia legally.
- Even richer fucks who migrated there as business owner or invested in a Australian government funds and acquired residential permit.
- Skilled worker who obtained work contract with Australian company
- Scholarship/Exchange students

Only those in the last two categories would have good English, and they're the minority.

>How do you see the future of Vietnam? How stable is the government?

Pretty grim tbqh. Something like Ukraine/Venezuele situation in the near future. Most people would think that is ridiculous and would never happen but they have no idea what is happening within government and the state the country is in.

Wish I could study Vietnamese, but I've got my hands full with other languages atm

I'm not shilling for refugees or anything mate. I personally don't care wherever people are from because Brazil is mixed as fuck already, as long as the immigrants integrate, they can come imo.

Not every country is like Brazil and this whole multicultural Europe thing surely isn't working out when their countries were built based on that one culture/ethnicity. I'm just answering why the Vietnamese you found in your country couldn't speak English: they were probably poor as fuck and moved to Australia to seek a better life.

IT AIN'T ME

helo wher is chhalrie.

calln aer streik on mi pashition

why I do still visit this website

Wew unfortunate to hear about the situation.
Tbh I don't hear much about Vietnam often, which makes me feel it's somewhat stable unlike Venezuela. Perhaps that's not the case.
Iktfb
Ty for the explanation about the situation in my country when I myself am the child of migrants to Australia
By the way, did you the olympics are in Brazil this year?
Great song desu
Lt. Dan! You lost your legs!