/spm/ Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon

What goes on here ?

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relations_entre_Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon_et_l'Union_européenne
damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

People use the euro, all the kids go to university in quebec, they have french rather than quebecois accents, hockey is big there, most of them are descended from basque people, last vestige of the french empire in north america.

Last vestige ??

It's France you nig, Guyana is France. The truth is that France is pretty much on every continents on earth.

>It's France you nig, Guyana is France. The truth is that France is pretty much on every continents on earth.
guyana isn't in north america

based flag

Yeeeaaa.... and ?

benis

where on earth in asia?

Is it technically France? Can any French person choose to settle there, what about EU residents, are they free to move and work there?

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relations_entre_Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon_et_l'Union_européenne

/spm/ is not in the EU, nor in the Schengen Area, but they are EU citizens and use €

>last vestige of the french empire in north america

France has a number of overseas departments and territories. Unlike the British overseas territories and crown dependencies, which are not considered to be part-of-the-UK-as-such, several of France's overseas departments (five of them, specifically) /are/ politically "full" parts of the country/state of France, just as Alaska and Hawaii are bona fide, "full" political components of the United States, etc.

Thanks, I hold a French passport but I'm still learning to speak, packing up and moving somewhere one day has always been a dream

/spm/ is quite the perfect place to move to because it's comfy as fuck, it's French so they have a high quality of life and it's 99% white

You dun guffed

/spm/ seems boring as fuck tho
It's really tiny and flat

What's their identity like? Do they consider themselves wholly French or is there some separation? How do they view Canada and what do they think of Canadians.

>flat
not at all

Go in Dordogne like all brits. Comfier part of France i guess

>What's their identity like?
Well, I assume they consider themselves as French, but living in North America, with some Breton and Basque heritage.

Sorry but 240m high is flat
I mean especially compared to our other overseas territories who mostly have beautiful and wild places, SPM would boring
Being close to Québec is nice tho

But I'm French senpai ;)

/spm/ appeals because of the proximity of Canada... I've always been more of a winter person and imagine they would make visiting often easier some how

>flat
>not at all
>Belgium flag

>/spm/ appeals because of the proximity of Canada

it might be close to Canada, but you'll need a whole day to get there from Europe, as there are no direct liaison between /spm/ and Europe.

Since someone has taken an interest and I feel like talking, let me yak some more in the Belgian bot's 100th instance of this thread.

The historical European "French homeland", including Corsica, is referred to as "Metropolitan France", to differentiate it from everything else. This is just a long, fancy phrase to mean "the French homeland".

The five things which are full, straight-up political parts of France as-such, being overseas departments, are:

Reunion
Mayotte (both near Madagascar)

Martinique
Guadeloupe
French Guiana (all in/near the Caribbean/South America).

After this point, the rest of the territories have lower status. They include the three "saints": Saint Martin, Saint Barthelemy and SPM (two in the Caribbean, the one just east of Canada), and then out in Polynesia there's another three: French Polynesia (this is where Gaugain fucked off to when he got sick of old white French pussy), Wallis and Futuna, and also New Caledonia, which has a sort of weird extra-special legal status. I think maybe they're playing at becoming independent or something.

So I've named 11 overseas "things", so far. They all have permanent civilian (real) populations. this leaves two more deserted things which deserve a sequel post: Clipperton, and TAAF.

>Belgian bot's 100th instance of this thread.

first, I'm not a bot and second, it's not the 100th instance of this thread, maybe just a bit less.

Spoken like a bot.

Anyway, back to the "Brit": Clipperton Island is an uninhabited meme island west of Mexico, which is now retained by France for the water rights, of course. But it has an interesting history.

Around the turn of the century, a small piece of industry was tried there, and then the mainlanders seemed to forget about the island. Specifically, a bunch of women and one asshole were trapped there for several months, after the others died. The man had a raping good time for a while, but the women beat his brains in when they finally got sick of him. This is basically the last time that there has been a long-term human presence on Clipperton. There's a long but extremely interesting article about this historical episode, here:

damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/

This brings us to the TAAF, which is teh frenchy phrase for the "french southern and Antarctic Lands. It's actually a bunch of scattered, unpopulated places around the Southern hemisphere, and there's anywhere from 3-10 different places, depending on how you look at it. Basically,

There's a bunch of tiny islands surrounding Madagascar (just like Reunion and Mayotte) which generally cuck Madagascar's water rights,
There's a bunch of larger islands in the far south Indian ocean, which are among the loneliest places on earth,
And finally there's France's strip of Antarctica, which cucks Australia.

Collectively, all of these different places are called the "TAAF". They are stationed by several dozen military/scientist types, and administered from Reunion, where actual people live.

I really like the shape of Kerguelen Island tbqh.