/wt/

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:

youtu.be/1zkrwnhhNIw

>Strap Guide:

pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:

pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

luch.by/collections/4560.html
luch.by/catalog/muzhskie_chasy/4600.html
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UBHXG0/ref=pd_aw_sim_241_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0JJHBKXF2Z2ZGBFCSNTH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What omega? You didn't post a pic

woops, I thought I posted it
This is what I'm looking for, but quartz. In other words, if I could find a straight clone of this with a quartz movement, I'd buy it

get a new luch

luch.by/collections/4560.html

luch.by/catalog/muzhskie_chasy/4600.html

>looks like a fucking $20 piece of shit chinkshitter from AliExpress
seems like a bit of an exaggeration, why do you say it looks like shit?

these are huge, the omega and the dolce are both 32mm

I guess I could maybe swing 36 but the luches are like 38-40 I think

So something kind of like this?

actually that one you posted appears to be 35mm which is great, but I don't care for the aesthetics very much. Definitely looks cheap
>weird batons
>that strange inlay/groove on the hands
>ugly logo
>seconds hand but no seconds marks
not altogether terrible but I assume the dolce is finished much better and the aesthetics are better IMO

No, that's very ugly

Junghans max bill quartz

Well I'll be damned. I had no idea someone was out there making 60s style dress watches with domed crystals using quartz movements. Neat.

???
> Looks almost identical except missing the crossbar and has smaller indices

chink shitter

>Looks almost identical
maybe if you're blind lol
come on man they are very different

>38mm
I'd have to gain like 100 pounds first desu

>>$3,000+ Omega that looks like a fucking $20 piece of shit chinkshitter from AliExpress
>>kind of classy and elegant
>What did he mean by this?
some retard with an anime reaction image thinks the vintage omega looks bad, lemme just file that in with the rest of the important opinions that matter

All right, well good luck on your search.

Thanks. I'll probably end up buying the Dolce.

Recommend decent panda chronograph for good price? Quartz or Auto fine. Nothing over 40mm diameter.

Define good price

Under 500 Big Macs

with or without the buy one get one free survey coupon?

Sea-gull st5

alpha paul newman

hey man luchs actually look amazing in person. I personally would never buy a quartz one but thats exactly what he was looking for. The dolce is not even similar to that watch style.

With all this Luch talk guess I'll post mine.

Just got pic related for when /out/ fishing. It's even nicer in person than it looked online. How did I do wt?

Nice Luch you got there senpai, check these.

Tell this faggot whos asking advice to go to /fa/
He should buy a mike cors and fuck off

orient has a panda chrono

try to contain your jealousy gents.

This Borealis isofrane style strap goes better with my Mark 4.5 than I expected it to.

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT???

also r8 my watch

I usually wear them like in the right picture, never thought about it.

That 52 KS Special is in really great shape. It really stands out to me whenever you post it.

Luch Sup Forums edition fucking when

Not jealous much.

I got you

why does your wrist cave in so much, what's your height/weight?

Why the fuck on earth they make modern FiftyFathoms 45mm?
Are Blancpain retarded?

The Sup Forums Vostok never happened either because people here are too autistic.

You mean 38mm?

They are not even hard to get
A brief review?

He's referring to having filled the movement with oil, not the model being rare. On LCD quartz watches filling the movement with oil massively increases legibility of the display and water resistance.

mmmm quartz.

Mechanical only exists because desperate watch companies couldn't cope with progress and spun it as a luxury item. You fuckers fell for it. As quality as they may be, they are still inferior to a well built quartz...and for premium quartz you might as well just leap off a bridge instead of trying to compete.

feels retarded having to change a battery on a watch desu

>Premium quartz
>Posts an Omega notorious for reliability issues
If you actually cared about high quality quartz watches you'd be posting nothing but Grand Seiko Quartz models and/or Citizen "The Citizen" models, as those are the two best quartz watch makers on the planet.

If changing a battery is too hard you probably shouldn't own either.

All you have is one older model version to go on from a youtube video. Even quality breaks from time to time. Otherwise why would watch smiths still be in business? Grand Seikos are encumbered with all the flaws of a mechanical watch. Kina defeats the point.

I was just being sarcastic. The watch is cheap and plentiful, not rare in the slightest.

But yes, I did fill this one with oil. So far so good. Hit it with a heat gun up to 170F. No leaking at that temp with repeated button presses. Legibility is 100% improvement over my other dw290 that has not been filled.

Which ones - the 50 year service interval or the 10spy accuracy?

>He doesn't know about Grand Seiko quartz movements with 50 year service intervals, 10 SPY accuracy, and a dampened stepper motor eliminate second hand lash
SAD!

AND everything I said still applies.

do I have to Japan to get a jdm watch with japanese weekdays?

Any more marketing terms you want to use to slather over the reality?

>this fucking 50 year service interval meme again
The fucking movement is sealed airtight so that Seiko believes that the oils inside could stay good for up to 50 years. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get it serviced more frequently than that if you want it to stay in good working order for a long time. Seiko still recommends a service interval of every few years. Just because nobody bothers to care for their quartz watches doesn't mean that skipping basic servicing for years and years is not going to cause any harm.

Read it again.

>Mechanical only exists because desperate watch companies couldn't cope with progress and spun it as a luxury item.
This is not true at all. Not even as a generalisation. Are those $50 Seiko 5's a luxury item? Are those failed Rolex quartz watches not an attempt by a luxury brand to move into that type of watch? Maybe you should brush up on what happened in the watch world leading up to and after the quartz crisis.

The quartz crisis is EXACTLY when all of that happened. The survivors simply changed tactics and there are plenty of suckers with a deep wallet.

Huh...look at all those things after the coil. Looks like mechanics to me. Just like every other one. The Grand Seiko just has a novel and admittedly unique way of generating and maintaining the automatic movement.

I know, that's why I told you to read up on that period in time. You need to read a bit about before the quartz crisis so you can understand what was happening before It, you need to read about what happened during the quartz crisis for obvious reasons, and after so you can understand why what you said is false.

What I said is true tho. I'm not the one confused here.

Explain how a $50 Seiko 5 is a luxury watch then.
Explain how companies that moved into quartz had to move out of that area of watch making despite you saying they couldn't get with the times.
What you said is false and there is more at play then you seem to think.

You're aware traditional stepper motor quartz grand seikos exist and that's what everyone besides you is talking about, right?

Well, considering the mountain of Seiko quartz watches from the 1970s that have never been serviced and still run great, I would be inclined to believe that their sealed quartz movements should be able to run without issue for a very long time.

I missed the old Sup Forums watch threads, there used to be one daily

What reality? Grand Seiko and Citizen make the best quality analogue stepper motor quartz watches in the world today. I don't even see how this can be argued, frankly.

I never said a $50 watch was luxury. Simply inferior like all other mechanical watches. You can obviously make better mechanical watches too but the same issues still apply no matter how much money you throw at it. Not sure how you even tossed that in as an argument. But hey if you need that to justify inferior tech then that's fine.

you could literally say that about any movment because it has analog components. Jesus christ how retarded can you get? the other guy was CLEARLY talking about seiko quartz movements, not springdrive, you fucking moron.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. Throw as much as you want into them, they can't match a well made quartz.

Are you saying a Seiko or citizen quartz can't match a well made quartz? If so please tell us more user we can't wait to hear from you.

Actually I apologize on that. Actually I admit I did not know they made straight up quartz movements for the Grand Seiko. I thought they were all spring drive. I'd accept a quartz one.

My statements on mechanical stand.

And also I don't know why the hell I fucked that up considering the fucking battery right on the thing. Meh must be tired.

>Mechanical only exists because desperate watch companies couldn't cope with progress and spun it as a luxury item.
You said exactly that, you said mechanical only exist as a luxury item. $50 Seiko watches that are mechanical are a luxury item going off of the exact words you have said.

Does it tell time?

Who the fuck cares, a nice watch is one that works, like a phone.

Interpretation I guess. Also still inferior.

Any watch is a luxury item.

1000% correct thank you.

my leather strap has 2 loops. the 2nd one is free moving to tuck the long end into
is there any reason why I shouldn't just put a tiny dot of superglue to hold it in place? they always end up getting stretched out and wont stay in place

>analog parts
Lol

Fucking kill yourself you perma-BTFO'd tripfaggot

Post more pics of that vintage Casio man.

Thinking about pick related but leaning towards this: amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UBHXG0/ref=pd_aw_sim_241_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0JJHBKXF2Z2ZGBFCSNTH

Looks nice, what is it and how much was it?

How much did that casio marlin cost?

One of the best mechanical watches you can buy for less than $200. Also, good taste in beer. If you've never had Rodenbach Vintage, find some, it's an amazing Flemish sour.

Not him but I'm curious about what this thing about quartz is but I don't really have time to read up

yeah, same one

>tfw Rolex made their quartz movement with a fucking pallet fork
Can anyone even match them, past or present?

Thanks. Reeeeally tempted. Got any more recommendations? I'm this guy too

I don't know what you autists are talking about but if you're spending $5000 on a watch it better suck your dick let alone have a fork in it

>implying a Rollie won't get your dick sucked

Nope, that's literally the only wristwatch I own lmao
Thinking of getting a vostok shitter so I have something that I don't feel bad about scratching but is cooler than a casio digital watch or something.

Fair. Most women won't recognize it though. What, if I get one of those fakes that only experts checking it can tell is fake will get my dick sucked?

Golddiggers can still tell you're a poor loser, they can just smell it.

whats an alternative to the seiko snkl23 for poorfags can't find it in stock anywhere