/mkg/ - Cherry switches suck btw

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG (embed)
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL (embed)
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp (embed)
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pckeyboard.com/page/product/IBMxxxx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any cheap keyboard recommendation?

OwO whats this

It's beautiful

Logitech K120

hhkb

missed out on XDA Godspeed

are there any artisan caps that are not >$140 premium ABS meme

Yeah several

210 usd is not cheap user
Nice meme user

>Budget
$200
>Location
Canada
>Preferred switch type
Red/matais quiet click, open to suggestions
Looking for quiet and having some kind of feedback
>Layout
Full
>Form factor
ANSI
>Backlight
Preferably, I like the Ducky One effects
>Previous/current keyboards
Garbage cell keyboards

got any recommendations?

i cant find any on massdrop and i dont trust the chink pbt caps on kbdfans

alu case? nice

lol gmk laser, lol redditors gonna spend $300+ on abs

just ordered this, I'm looking forward to it

So topres are not mechanical switches. Just expensive ruberdomes.

Yeah the domes are much nicer than any mx switch tho

Buckling springs and Topre are the best switches.

Should I buy an SSK or a Model F?

Buckling spring "mechanic" looks even more dodgy

Well I got a cheapo kalilh red keyboard since a month and it feels better than any rubberdome I ever used. Maybe some day I try buckling spring and topres.

Get outta here old man

Should I build this tada with gat browns or gat blues? I have both

will i fuck something up if i use rubbing alcohol to clean an ibm model m? like will it wear off the dye on the keycaps or will it fuck up the plastic on it?

I can't stand the obnoxious noise of blues so I'd say build it with browns.

How is the Cherry 1800?
I'm considering one to try out black switches but the cheapest I could get is 25 eur.

This is the best budget board out there. They cut costs by using fewer keys and rubberdomes.

Well then too bad since KBD is legit. I know geek hack has a list of group buys so check that out

They are capacitive rubber domes, which is why they cost 10x as much as a normal rubber dome keyboard

No you'll be fine

Is actually the springs that are capacitive. The domes themselves are just domes.

If they're using rubber domes, Than I might as well just keep using my old IBM.

This
membrane>>>>rubber dome

Someone sell me a model f

Just buy one off craigslist.

I can't find one

Correct. Buckling spring if you prefer click feedback, 55g Topre if you prefer bump feedback.

Don't look for a model F. Most people just put it up as old IBM computer. Just type IBM in the search bar.

where can i get a new stabiliser for the space bar on the ibm model m?

Still nothing

Based gook

Unicomp

Unicomp.

sounds more like the typical copy pasta from an aliexpress seller

well, its the first gook that ever followed up like that without trying to sell me more shit

What is it with people and sticking their gayass guns on keebs.

This guy's been posting his keyboard and guns for months

It's shitposting to bait lefties. Same reason shitposters include knee socks and dildos to bait righties.

This is literally the truest statement ever written on /mkg/.
I fucking love Topre, buckling spring membrane and buckling spring capacitive.
Everything else is irrelevant.

You got any pics?

I want that collection so bad

What's the current go-to 60% board? Is the poker II still a popular meme?

Pok3r and gh60 are the go to memes

>months
How insulting.

Any model in particular?

I ordered some blues by accident as my first MK, had to return it it was so annoying. What should I do, /mkg/?

Get an ultra classic in beige

Embrace the memes and get a model m

get a beige one but get one with the full size case
although you should get a ps/2 one if you have a port for it due to ps/2 having basically unlimited polling rate. however you should really try to find an ibm one before you settle for unicomp. i have both of them and the ibm one is so much better than the unicomp one

oops didnt mean to upload that image, but anyways that was a keytest i did on mine. i am gonna need to boltmod it to get all of the keys to work. but i still think its worth the work in order to have an ibm model m rather than a unicomp.

i dont want no click clack

zealiostotles for you

Any objections before I pull the trigger?

stop me

What's up guys, I spilled some OJ on my keyboard yesterday. I cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry. It works fine now but some keys are pretty hard to press now, how do I fix that?

The IBM's are only better in terms of build quality, the feel of the switches themselves feel exactly the same.

>Not getting the FC660C

Well you have to clean the switches, so desolder them and clean, or just buy new switches and solder them in.

well the switch feel does feel the same, but in general the keycaps are more loose on the unicomp than the ibm one which does have a different feel. also the unicomp one doesnt sound as nice compared to the ibm one. i still think its worth it to get an ibm though due to the better build quality.

Shit, I really hoped I didn't have to do that. Any other way?

I've gotta ask, why am I never seeing this model in this general?

it so much money though, 200AUD is already a lot

why are nu-keyboards so small compared to ones made in the 1990-early 2000s?

btw Im using a pok3r if that helps you answering my question. like isn't there another way to clean the switches?

You can buy a new keyboard, kek

Not sure really, but the space saver (ultra classic) is the best one you can get for build quality. The classics (model m case) creeks a fair bit. And going beige avoids QC issues such as random marks on the case.

i dont know, i guess people just dont post theirs very often. pic related is my keyboard, it is a really nice keyboard, but i still need to bolt mod it to get all the keys to work so i really dont want to fuck it up.

Send it to someone from Deskthority, (not geekhack!)

>paying for something and then waiting 10 months for it

Thats the kind of keyboard I need. These new ones are too small for my hands. What model is that one.

part number 1391401 to be specific

also its not lexmark

I mean I can do it myself, I just don't want to. I just want a better way of cleaning out the switch. The switches are plate mounted

There isn't an easier way unfortunately.

Ahh I'm not sure if this is a modifiable kind of keyboard but modifiable is valuable to me. That being said, aesthetics are a factor for me as well. On top of that I've got a wrist wrest on the way and I'm not sure it would work well with that. Seems like a good performing keyboard, I guess it's just not for me

What do you mean by modifiable?

well it depends on what you mean by modifiable. there are some mods you can do to it such as the bolt mod or floss mod but other than that i dont really know what else you could do or need to do.

so if you went here pckeyboard.com/page/product/IBMxxxx could you get unicomp to make you some of the older keyboards with the thicker plate and case or detchable cable? also where can i find printed keycaps on the unicomp site?

Model M's can be switched from ISO to ANSI interchangeably after a bolt mod, custom keycaps can be bought from Unicomp and there's been a few GB's on Deskthority for custom keycaps. You could floss mod or grease mod the springs to reduce the metallic pinging

I started ordering parts for my current autism build last december.
I started planning my atreus in november of 2015 and completed it in august of 2016

I've gone down this road before

Oh I guess that's good enough for modifications then, I guess I'm not really aware of many modifications you can make on your keyboard

Aesthetically I'm not a fan of the case though. Minimal size and design of the case is what I'm looking for. The Ducky One is my current choice because of the design, but to me it's seeming like babbys first mechanical keyboard so I'm looking for more options and getting more info

Yeh nothing about the Model M is minimal, even the SSK's are almost the same size as a regular full size mechanical modern keyboard.
Model M's are great for everything else though.

personally i like big keyboards like this. in my experience too, buckling springs are better than literally every other switch, unless youre gonna be playing a rhythm game such as stepmania, then in that case cherry mx reds or silvers would be the best.

this

springs are just springs

How come they don't make keyboards this big anymore? It's like the new ones are built for 12 year old asian kids.

You can't beat a nice 'fuck off' keyboard!

is that how they teach sex in china?

I don't know why, but looking at this image reminded me of that geekwhack post were some mod or high ranking member defended GMK pad printing by saying they were the best ever made, and even rivaled dye sub printing. At least for laser the sub legends are not pad printed