Old programmers would often become experts of a language (such as C,C++,Fortran...

Old programmers would often become experts of a language (such as C,C++,Fortran, COBOL) and whether or not you believe it was an abuse of syntax and not good programming they could do things in those languages nobody else could, even experienced programmers who didnt have as much time in the language couldn't match it.

This is definitely a contrast to modern programmers, who are encouraged to learn as many as possible (and often encouraged to learn as high level & abstract a language as possible) in order to be competitive.

Do you believe this modern way of thinking of encouraging jacks of all trades is negative? Or do you think those old programmers were fuckheads who did things with their languages that no sane person should consider.

sidenote:

Do you believe that the rush of new programming languages we've seen(nim,red,crystal,julia,go) has even more of a negative effect on this issue (if it is one at all) or makes it more difficult to be sure that the language you learn has a place in industry?

it doesn't matter, people just learn whatever makes them money

Can I have money?

Pretty much this.

I work using mainly C#, VB.net and T-SQL. I learnt this because that's what makes me a pile of cash every month and I can easly find another job if things would go south with my company. I also know (to a lesser extent) node.js, python and angular as my backup plan if suddenly there were no jobs for .net framework. I don't care what is "aesthetic" or "most effcient", I care which language will add the most digits to my bank balance every month.

Why did that happen

is she dabbing?

>they could do things in those languages nobody else could, even experienced programmers who didnt have as much time in the language couldn't match it.

I am gonna tell you why, because good programmers are first mathematicians, physicist, electrical engineers and other hard science related people and they use programmin as an auxiliar tool. Programming without math or sciences is a fucking joke.

fuck you op nobody gives a shit about your nonsense but I'd cum buckets over that rack

i cant confirm im way more maths oriented but my programming is genuinely shit, im the worst programmer in the program

>im the worst programmer in the program

how long you has been trying and what programming language are you using?

Nobody's really happen with the offer, that's sure. So maybe this rush is simply an attempt to fill the demand.

In my opinion, it's not much different than it used to be. The only difference being that the industry is a lot bigger today, it's also easier to market your product today, open source is more developed, etc.
It's more the environment that changed and led to you perceiving a rush of new programming languages.

programming in those days was a niche, not a massive industry that touches all corners of life

think of it like carpenters. there are master carpenters who can make beautiful furniture out of a shitty piece of cast-off wood, and there are lots of woodworkers who can barely put together a chair.

Two years
started with python was mediocre
then follow up required java course was next to introduce to OOP
floundered that and suck ass so I had to drop it
Then I pretty much avoided programming
in a R workshop now and thats ok I guess
trying to learn common lisp in my free time and thats proceeding but slowly because I dont have a lot of free time and dont have the raw appeal for coding to give all my freetime to it
(though out of everything ive done which is R,Python,maybe C & Java, CL has been the closest to b eing described as enjoyable and syntax is actually finding a place to live in my head rather than getting completely forgotten) I Haven't done ANYTHING remotely complicated in common lisp though and I promise im not just being modest, take this as fact. I'm barely a novice in CL which is further than the other languages.

The people I know in an even further along object oriented course (because they passed the java course) and the intro algorithms course are basically better in every way and can problem solve way harder things.

next semester i retake the java course which is the main thing blocking me from the rest of the cs classes (because the defacto language most of them use is Java or and then a minority with C)

I'm not looking forward to it and have low hopes

>Do you believe this modern way of thinking of encouraging jacks of all trades is negative?
>do you think those old programmers were fuckheads who did things with their languages that no sane person should consider?
why not both?

Jack of all trades comes at the benifit of being able to do a bit of everything,which is useful, as no mechanic goes to fix a house with just a wrench. The old programmers were a bit insane (but then again most computer scientists are insane/depraved in some way, pic related) but with their insanity came some benefits, such as figuring out how to screw a bulb using a hammer (to put it analogously). Its probably good to have some jacks of all trades, and a few experts. Ideally a programmer learns a handful of languages and then becomes an expert in all of them.

tl;dr - both are true

>Do you believe that the rush of new programming languages we've seen(nim,red,crystal,julia,go) has even more of a negative effect on this issue (if it is one at all)...
It wont really be a problem big problem, since some of these newer languages (even if they are better than their older equivalents) will still take time to become mainstream. Its encouraged to investigate these for yourself and see how they are in comparison to their older equivalents, keeping in mind:
>are they faster to compile?
>static or dynamically typed?
>how do they handle garbage collection?
>are they better?
>etc?
If you are an intelligent CS major, then you should be able to see where the strengths and weaknesses of a language lie, and whether it would be good for the market or just trash that Sup Forums autists use (like ruby for example). If someone makes a c language that is typed as simply as python yet which runs faster than both, and which has a better garbage collection than both, then it may replace C and maybe also python assuming it has less weaknesses and better/more strengths than both combined.

What if Im not intelligent but want o code

java was a mistake
C++ was a mistake
javascript was a mistake
obj-c was a mistake
clojure was a mistake
scala was a mistake
golang was a mistake
groovy was a mistake
elixir was a mistake
swift was a mistake
C# was a mistake
PHP was a mistake
.NET was a mistake
Perl was definitely a mistake

There shouldn't be so many languages in industry use, encouraging jacks of all trades just redirects efforts towards replication of existing technology for different languages instead of building on currently existing software. i.e. time spent making graphing libraries for languages A-Z instead of improving them for languages A-D.

Also every language should be a lisp.

today, people that learn programming don't even need to build shit. its just
>google the problem
>ctrl + c the block that solves the problem
>ctrl + v at the program
>modify the minimum so it works in your code

nevermind how a computer works, what the program you are writing will do under the good, what is memory, what is data structure...

under the hood*

what did he mean by this?

Don't let your dreams be memes user , start web dev

he is suggesting that he is a mongoloid but would maybe like to engage in learning a programming language, known in the streets also as "coding"

>as high level & abstract a language as possible
This part is because compiler and compute resources are now cheap compared to programmer time.

Also , programming socks make you better

how can i code and do they do ebt?

i need to learn ONE code and get fucking smart at it so i can get some fuckin g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

people should stop saturating programming languages. C*, java, javascript will always be more relevant than any other language that ever comes out. As long as newer languages keep building on top of each other and don't offer anything genuinely different from the first three, there will only be three important languages. Now, if developers try doing something genuinely different with there language, that makes it more sensible to use the new thing rather than the old thing, I might be wrong.

firstly, ditch the money-oriented approach. Unless you are in this for the pleasure of programming and the knowledge of CS itself, then you will loathe every minute of your job.

Secondly, start with something simple, like action-script or python, the core principles of any one language of universal across the field (book or a tutor is recommended, if this is your first time). If you are too much of a brainlet to start with something so simple as the written word, then try something simpler like a visual programming language such as in pic related to learn the basics. If you are still incapable after this then this is clearly not the career for you.

how much $$$ in action script or python

>how much $$$ in action script or python
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, if you stop looking in that direction of $$$$$ you will have more success. But if you want to ruin yourself then please, continue.

I make 200k a year writing C# and Java.

Industry is hell.

nigga a jobs a fucking jobs im not happy doing whateve rthe fuck so if im on my gsame grind but making way more fuckin $$$$$ and i get to sit down all day ill fuckin take that

fuck off with that shit this isnt disney channel koombahyah shit this is about gettin gthat cash and grinding
all that other shit is for fucking gays

>ebt
>posting on Sup Forums

Give it back.

ok then.
learn web dev, then start advertising yourself as a QA agent for 200 dollars/hour (the high price makes it look like you are professional).

what code style is web dev? what kind of language is web dev

>javascript
>php
>css
>possibly red
any one of the 3, all hand written (but you can try visual programming if you want).

hold up what
you told me it was called web dev
i have to learn 6 shit same time?

you didnt even put the web dev language down

>sorry i forgot html
you are on a browser.
right click the white space next to my response box and select "view page source".
If this overwhelms you, then select "inspect". a window will pop up, hover mouse over different segments of text and it will highlight different parts of your User Interface, this is to help you understand the correlation between code and UI.

If this is too much for you then please refrain from pursuing this career. no amount of money will make up for your ineptitude.

only if you sell your soul to javascript

whats WEB DEV tho

your job description. it's like saying car mechanic. to be a car mechanic you have to know how to do a variety of things. to be a web dev you have to learn a variety of languages

snitches dont know bout my turbo pascal

this, if someone wanted to teach me COBOL to maintain ancient mainframes for a shitload of money, I will do it.

this is the third thread with furry shit, did I miss something or Sup Forums is more open to furries?

>did I miss something
yes. Historically Sup Forums and computer scientists in general have a record of sexual deviancy. Most notably, furry and trap. There are many explanations for this phenomena but the generally held belief is that deviants, tending to be social outcasts, turn to more reclusive careers (such as CS) and bring with them their warped minds, might have something to do with autism too.

for instance: "computer programmer leg high socks and dress are a mandatory part of C++ programming." - Sup Forums

Sup Forums has and always will have /trash/ cross-boarding. Usually the deviants don't show their deviancy unless asked though so it won't bother you unless you start a thread about it. If you want the exact statistics, start straw-polling to find some figures.

Way ahead of you senpai

I am still infuriated that scat, vore furry shit is allowed but lolis are getting banned like a jew in Nazi Germany.

It's not fair.

>that post

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK

thats because loli crosses a line user.
The other degeneracy is not practicable or not practiced by the people who fap to it, the same cannot be said for loli-fags (hebes). Shit, even in the /trash/ board loli and baby-fur is looked down upon if not outright banned. Even a septic tank such as trash has lines it will not cross.

You make good bait, but I'm going to ignore you past this point. Have fun in hell kiddy diddler.

If i cared enough, i would put in the effort to trace you IP's and kill you all off 1 by 1. The first will be purged by oil and fire, the second electrocuted, the third thrown off the empire state, the fourth both kidneys removed no anesthetics with tools stored in a septic tank, the fifth... That's a surprise ;^)

My nigger

>REALLY MAKES YOU THINK
never said i wasn't one :^)

you told me web dev was a language

>C.S. Dab
Our way of identifying Sup Forums residents and greyhats

This.

This. /d/ Sup Forums Sup Forums and /sci/ are gotos

Don't forget /tg/, or lite-/d/ as it's known.

>Now, if developers try doing something genuinely different with there language, that makes it more sensible to use the new thing rather than the old thing, I might be wrong.

There are tons of languages that are exactly like this that are much more powerful than anything you've mentioned. Theyr'e less popular because they don't have the commercially backed tooling/ecosystem of the more popular languages.

Nigger you are in the loli board.

>electrical engineers
EE here, most of us never want to touch code. It's absolute last resort. Mostly because of what a shitshow it's become. Hardware is hardware, and it will always work properly. We don't need to learn some shitty flavor of the month high level language, at worst I've had to learn three separate CAD software for different jobs, but the learning curve isn't bad. I can't say it used to be better or anything, but I can say I have no interesting in anything other than c and python (because I've had to use it for so many stupid things)

I'm some other asshole. In order to develop websites (web dev) you need those languages. honestly, you sound so dumb I don't think you can make it far into this career. maybe consider studying something else

Considered harmful?

I'm a physicist and my code would make you vomit. It's usually efficient, but it also "just werks".

>mathematicians, physicist, electrical engineers
Actually, those tend to create the worst tools.

>Act
*the worst code