WOW on Linux

Wait, wait - WAIT!

Before you ban me...

Serious question: What Linux distro is the best to play World of Warcraft on? Private servers included?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you mean 1.12, ubuntu works well with vanilla wow under wine. It's about 80% of the performance you would get on windows.

I'm from Sup Forums, they don't know anything about Linux...

Always keep in mind performance will take a hit.

That being said, Mint is OK. I've run wow on mint via PlayOnLinux.

I thought I would gain performance by switching to Linux? Is it because it's being bootstrapped through wine/POL?

How about you install windows and play on it? Crazy huh?

They'll all run it the same retard, it's the drivers you have to keep an eye out for. Make sure you have an nvidia card and that you choose the proprietary drivers.

So why would anyone who is gaming choose linux then? It seems that its just a side pet project instead of a meat and potatoes, full time desktop.

Thanks user. Linux gaming has never been good.

people use Linux for programming

>what is vm+gpu passthrough

They wouldn't. Go back to Sup Forums where you belong.

ZorinOS Lite

Arch Linux, install wine-staging-nine.
Now fuck off back to

Doesn't matter fuckall. It'll run on any wine version from last 5 years or so, just set graphics to opengl in config.wtf for better performance.

Because yidya depends on technology you fucking mouthbreathing, knuckledragging neckbeard faggot.

But I digress...

On a lighter note More bootstrapping...

and finally comes the truth about Linux: And that my fellow Sup Forumsentoos is why the big game distributors haven't taken Linux that seriously.

>yet

Actually, you know what.. Just grab ubuntu or whatever you're already using and install playonlinux, their wine builds do the job just fine. Least hassle.

If more people showed demand then more games would have native linux support, until then vm + gpu passthrough does the job.

>vm + gpu passthrough

I'm looking into that. Thanks user.

Listen, it's not only the native games, its the modding community as well.

"""""yidya""""" has its own dedicated board. Use it.

Ok, you got me V...idya.

And fuck you, no. I belong here as well as you do.

Sup Forums belongs on this board too.

why dont you just dual boot if youre going to vidya?

Honestly? I could but I am really championing the linux cause. I feel that Linux should be more embraced by the gaming community. But most are really not as tech savvy as half of the people on this board.

There needs to be more linux native AAA titles. There also needs to be more of the mods for said games that can be created and run natively in Linux. The Bethesda game modding community is HUGE. But nothing really runs well on Linux. It just doesn't without hassle, bootstrapping, fixing etc. Or maybe I'm wrong here.

Windows sucks. The botnet sucks. Facebook and chrome suck, I get it. But there has to be more going for Linux that just "muh freedoms" there has to be a ease of doing that the gaming community could be attracted to.

If you knew this place you prolly wouldn't wanna be here...

I've been lurking for awhile. I like it here. Sup Forums, /vg/, /install gentoo/ and /x/ are my main boards.

Saying Linux is only used for programming is objectively false. Linux is also used whenever you need to leverage huge hardware without being limited by the OS. Real time motion picture color grading for example.
And more and more games are launching with support for multiple OSs

True. But go to GOG.com and run a search using the Systems>Linux and there are two Ubuntu distros only. You will see the store headings shrivel. Many are older more obscure games. Which have a market, I own a lot of them. But the more popular ones aren't available. I'm not even talking the AAA titles.

>two Ubuntu distros only
So? Anything Ubuntu or even Debian based is fully compatible, so this also means Mint/Zorin/etc. It just means the games are tested to work on those distros.

>private servers
If you mean Vanilla then you can run that on anything that runs Wine.

you can use any distro
though with gaming in general it helps to have access to the latest Mesa/Wine (which may be easier to get with some distros over others)

pic related, 1.12.1 (VanillaGaming) in d3d9 mode, no workarounds or tweaks or anything needed, WoW has been well supported by Wine for a long time

Thinkpad T420
Arch Linux, WotLK 50+ fps
Windows 10, Legion 25-30 fps. Arch Linux, Legion 23-29 fps.
So... i`m lazy and use portwine.

wait WHAT official WoW classic servers confirmed?

yeah, Coming Real Soon™
apparently they finally found a relatively easy way to cash in on all the virtual Amish rose colored glasses nostalgia idiots

any linux distro that packages wine wil do

Im just going to tell you now. Gaming on Linux is fucking stupid.

I know there are games with "linux release" but they are shadows of former self. Games devs will literally cut content to make it run on this garbage because there are a dozen linux distros.

MacOS is the best linux distro to play wow on, it runs natively.

and there's only one version of windows?
they don't need to target multiple distros, typically there's just a ubuntu version and nothing else, but that's enough
for example, steam only supports a ubuntu release, but people run steam on non-ubuntu distros all the time, there's not much of a difference between distros, there's probably more of a difference between 7/8/10, as features are typically not backported to older versions of windows, while most major distros are all using basically the same versions of everything

In the case of vanilla WoW, you should have a very competent OpenGL renderpath available in the client, and there's no "wine tax" involved when playing OpenGL games on linux, as far as the API is concerned. Nvidia's driver blob use the same codebase as they do on windows, and AMD's radeonsi is faster than their proprietary windows driver for OpenGL. Combine this with vanilla wow being an almost 13 year old game, and it's not difficult to draw the conclusion that for WoW specifically, you shouldn't be seeing any notable performance hit for playing this over Wine.

>So why would anyone who is gaming

It's a conundrum for the ages, user. It's like trying to ask "If God is all-powerful, can He make a rock so big that He can't lift it?" "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" or "How much debt can basement dwelling children rack up on their mommys' credit cards?"

>this thread is why linux will always stay below the radar

Just install Windows and get the fuck outta here.

any version of ubuntu with a gallium-nine wine ppa or gentoo with USE=d3d9

>installing windows to run something that just werks in linux

>literal linic cucks openly welcoming proprietary software

you can run this in a sandbox, you see
everything is free software if you know asm anyway

>installing linux to run something designed to work on windows and going through hassle to prove otherwise.

Modern WoW runs like trash in Wine.
You're mostly CPU bottlenecked, so you better have a 10 GHz single core Intel(tm) CPU.

As for WoW Classic(tm), it remains to be seen what they actually do with the client.
If they actually just re-release the old vanilla client, there is a decent chance it'll run great in wine. If they rebase it on the current Legion/BoA client, you'll be shit out of luck again and better of playing it on bare metal Windows or a VM with VGA passthrough.

>I thought I would gain performance by switching to Linux?
Not really.
Memes aside, windows is pretty optimised, especially for gaming.
Just look at phoronix tests.

In some cases, like webshit, linux is indeed better, and a couple of games sometimes are better under linux(like L4D2 or Xonotic).
Whether or not they have some weird corner-cutting, like looking worse, in the process, is another story.

>durr hurr, muh OS is for serioux buziness, and gaming is for children and unproductive

Bitch, this entire Unix ball got rolling because some guy got bored and wanted to play Space Travel on a second-hand PDP-7 with his friends.

>windows is optimized
Hahahahahahaha, you can't be serious

Again, look at test suites.
Linux is always 5-10-20% slower on most stuff.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922

Wow works on all Linux distribution with Wine.

if you didn't play vanilla in 2005, then you should not get the privilege to play vanilla in 2017

kys cata babby

Windows literally rapes my PC, constantly spins drives and overheats. Linux doesn't have these issues while performing the same tasks and runs cool as fuck.
Windows is definitely not well optimized and Linux is a much better kernel. So, GNU is a better OS overall.
>muh speed
Poor optimization is a fault of software devs and underperforming drivers are a fault of the hardware manufacturers. This is in no way a "Linux issue". Either way, CPU performance is almost always better on Linux and most nVidia cards perform the same on both platforms.

>Look, we have the numbers if you wish. You can look them up yourself, or provide quantifiable counter-proof to assert your rebuttal.
>WAAAH, WELL MUH ANECDOTE TELLS ME WINDOWS SUX AND LINOOX ROOLS.

>Poor optimization is a fault of software devs and underperforming drivers are a fault of the hardware manufacturers.
So Linux is great, if you remove the software, and hardware drivers.
Is this the amount of masochism freetards have been reduced to?

Distro doesn't matter. More important is your hardware but this game is old as fuck and runs on everything. I use Debian and it werks.

At some point wow ran better on wine using the built in opengl backend than on windows!

t. retard

And where are your super awesome drivers and software that kick ass, performance-wise, on desktop linux compared to windows?
The only ones i've seen are xonotic and openarena.

anything up to wotlk works really well on wine/playonlinux. further than that i dont know.

You have to look at it this way: Do you really want to deal with the mess that is windows for the few games that don't have a native Linux port or the few % less performance when you run games in wine? If you're computer is a dedicated gaming machine then, sure, there is no real reason to run Linux

i've played on a mists private server for a while, it's marginally slower than wotlk due to the increased graphics, but it's fine

Ubuntu my man. 16.04 LTS is your best bet. Can also play OSRS too. Worst case scenario you can dual boot or just run it through a VM if your machine allows it.

It works pretty well with -opengl rendering but that disables hardware cursor. The mouse felt a bit draggy. How's d3d9 vanilla working with current Wine versions?

>How's d3d9 vanilla working with current Wine versions?
see

Not true, at least with the games I usually play. They all run fine, even on my mid-tier pc. To be fair, I don't play many games at all since I've got better things to do