en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_smartphone_bootloop_issues
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8515&idPhone2=8522&idPhone3=8502
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he can't even fix a simple bootloop

>can't even fix a simple bootloop
Ah, well, I actually did
It worked long enough for me to backup all my shit
And then it happened again

I ain't going to waste type heatgunning this thing every time it fucks over. Could just get a new motherboard but basically no G4 is safe.

>ywn watch me and you and everyone we know for the first time ever again

Agreed.

Regardless, removable batteries, in 2017. What's a power-user to do?

Just get an older phone like a Samsung galaxy note 4.

I'm dealing with this now too. my choices so far are huawei p10, one plus 5, or xiaomi mi6. i haven't bought anything yet. using a lg g3 for now.

>my choices so far are huawei p10, one plus 5, or xiaomi mi6
Don't care about removable batteries?

I've never owned a phone without one. It's just too bloody convenient. What the hell do you do when the battery starts failing like every lion battery? How long does do these stupid non-removables take to degrade?

Also,
>~8GB RAM, ~20mp camera
>1080p screen

WHY. What the actual fuck.

it's really easy to replace "non removable" batteries.
it's just not plug and play, lol.
you scared of opening up the spoopy phone?

>you scared of opening up the spoopy phone?

No, but it's more than that. What substitute is there for the diagnostic operation of 'pulling the battery' when shit goes wrong?

button combos being held for a certain amount of time mimicking a hardware reset.

>button combos being held for a certain amount of time mimicking a hardware reset.
If this is actually true and works as expected..

You're eroding my staunch opposition.

But there's still the final and biggest feature of being able to carry just a small battery around, and not a [usually] fuckhuge stupid power bank; being able to just pop in and go from 100, instead of having to wait for your phone to charge.

Also, most of these new phones have intricate body designs made for dust and waterproofing. Won't opening the devices to hypothetically change the non-removable battery fuck with the weatherpoof-integrity?

Lower your expectations.

>Lower your expectations.

Zerolemon Note 3 to S7 move here.

Volume down + power is a hardware reset, it's never not worked. I was also worried about that, but it's fine.

I carry a 20k power bank around because I'm an autist, but I definitely miss the capacity of my old one. Fast charging makes it less of an issue these days. Samsung claims it can be repaired without breaking the waterproofing, can't confirm.

To be completely fucking frank if it wasn't for the vidya I play needing better hardware I'd still be on the Note. I miss the battery life so much ;-;

>To be completely fucking frank if it wasn't for the vidya I play needing better hardware I'd still be on the Note.
What vidya is that?

> I miss the battery life so much ;-;
And that's the thing. With removables, it's basically limitless scaling. Not even the bulkiest extended battery can compete with having just one other standard in your pocket.

Emulators, mainly. Note 3 drops frames a lot.

Also I think there's a battery case for this with double the standard capacity but I get your point. I wish there were more phones with removable batteries but I'm pretty sure that dream is dead now.

>How long does do these stupid non-removables take to degrade?
Anecdotal evidence, but my Moto G 1st gen has a non-replaceable battery and it's about to break the 4 year mark. Battery lasts as long now as it did back when I bought it. Well, it actually lasts a little bit longer because Android updates have become more efficient. But point is, it hasn't degraded at all.
Maybe I got lucky, maybe they're good, you call it. It's still just as good now as it was when I bought it, and it isn't even close to being a flagship phone. Also the only phone I ever used in the time period, it got plenty of usage.

It's about to hit retirement, just waiting for the replacement phone to arrive sometime next week.

>but I'm pretty sure that dream is dead now.
Press F to stare despondently

>Anecdotal evidence, but my Moto G 1st gen has a non-replaceable battery and it's about to break the 4 year mark.
Huh. That's kind of incredible

Incidentally, the one non-chinkphone i mentioned in the OP was in fact the Moto G5. Really decent-seeming phone, except: 1. I can't handle going to 1080p from 1440p; 2. I'm used to buying flagships; this would be a sidegrade to the LG G4; and 3. It looks like a goddamn toy

What have you chosen to replace your Moto G with, and what was the reason(s) for retiring?

>How long does do these stupid non-removables take to degrade?
My dad uses my 3 years old Z1, and its battery is still pretty good, although one of my relatives who also has a Z1 had to have the battery replaced by a third party repair shop recently.

>~8GB RAM, ~20mp camera
>1080p screen
>WHY.
1080p+ screens barely look better, and it's not like computers, where having a higher resolution also means more screen estate. Screen resolution is the last thing you should care about in modern phones.

>Also, most of these new phones have intricate body designs made for dust and waterproofing. Won't opening the devices to hypothetically change the non-removable battery fuck with the weatherpoof-integrity?
I think it can be resealed by professionals, they can probably just put some gunk on it, that's what the watch repair dude did when he changed the battery in my waterproof bike speedometer.

LG V20

I personally first considered the Moto G5 Plus as a replacement, I really liked Moto as a brand, and it seems like the Lenovo purchase hasn't affected the quality of the phones at all. I'm a more practical guy that doesn't really care that much about buying flagships, just need a good phone that does the bare minimum, so I usually go for these mid-range phones with solid quality. Moto is solid as fuck, which is why I considered that at first.
As I was still scouting the market to see what was up, I eventually found a Xiaomi Mi5s selling at an incredibly good discount price and ended up going for that. It's going to be my first Xiaomi phone, but I've had one of those in my hand and it feels like it's a good quality phone too. Plus, the price was just too good to pass on (about 220€, while the G5 Plus was close to 280€).

As for what made me retire my Moto G: It's getting old. That's basically it. Even general usage is starting to be painful, sadly. As apps use more and more resources like memory and CPU, it simply can't keep up anymore. Even the default Android browser or Chrome slow down to halts too often for my liking, and a simple Google search (opening browser, typing, waiting for results) can take up to 15-20 seconds.
It's a shame, because I really enjoyed this phone, the development support around it is amazing too. I could still manage to update it to 7.1.2 with LineageOS, and probably would get Oreo eventually too. But it just can't keep up anymore, and it's showing.

I agree with your notion that the G5 is a sidegrade to the LG G4 though. You're looking to replace a past flagship for a current mid-range with that choice. Unless you want to save money and aren't interested in actually upgrading, it doesn't make much sense. I don't doubt the quality of the Moto G5 though, judging from all the Moto phones I've held, they all feel amazing.

Get an LG G5 or a V20.

>1080p+ screens barely look better, and it's not like computers, where having a higher resolution also means more screen estate. Screen resolution is the last thing you should care about in modern phones.
Fair enough, but I've been spoiled after 2 years of QHD. A relative just got a 1080p phone and I feel like there's a discernible difference.

>I think it can be resealed by professionals, they can probably just put some gunk on it, that's what the watch repair dude did when he changed the battery in my waterproof bike speedometer.
Such a hassle; waste of time and money for a previously simple operation. But it's all about the mainstream customer, who wants that IP67.

>LG V20
pic related

Yeah fair enough about the reason for retiring. I had to default back to my 2012 HTC Evo 3D after my LG G4 died and the experience is like running modern programs on a Pentium 3.
The Mi5s is also a decent looking phone -- those specs are going to be quite the upgrade from the Moto G's; you're probably gonna have a great time!

>Yeah fair enough about the reason for retiring. I had to default back to my 2012 HTC Evo 3D after my LG G4 died and the experience is like running modern programs on a Pentium 3.
>The Mi5s is also a decent looking phone -- those specs are going to be quite the upgrade from the Moto G's; you're probably gonna have a great time!
Yea, it's also superior to the Moto G5Plus that I intended to buy, which would've been a huge upgrade on its own.
Pretty hyped for it, to be honest. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Good luck on your search, user

>Pretty hyped for it, to be honest. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Good luck on your search, user
Aye. And thanks for providing your input mate; it's definitely been helpful

Also, for you nuts suggesting G5 or V20, educate yourselves: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_smartphone_bootloop_issues

Buy a phone with a large battery then buy a power bank case. I got a power case for my S7 edge which keeps it alive for days

Some phones that have non replacable batteries are actually really easy to replace. My galaxy S6 took about 20 mins to replace the battery, they even give you instructions how to do so in the manual.

>My galaxy S6 took about 20 mins to replace the battery, they even give you instructions how to do so in the manual.
Christ. This just keeps getting more interesting by the minute

I've had a Mi5S since May after my LG G3 refused to boot (not even bootlooped :[ ).

Good phone, more bezel on the top and bottom though. My sister has a G4, camera is comparable, but the Mi5S has much faster shutter speed and greater dynamic range, low light is alright with the Google Pixel HDR+ camera app.

Battery is good, display great, better than my G3s, much brighter, better saturation. It's fast too, absolutely no problems. I can recommend MSVII cases from aliexpress. Charges in ~1.5hrs from 5% to full. And it has a headphone jack, nice front camera, ok buttons (can rattle a bit, but clicky). Finger print scanner is much better on the Oneplus 3T and Mi 6 though, Mi5S is servicable.

Picture taken with my Mi5S.

I chose a shitty picture, let me try again.

You can fix the bootloader you know.

Posted from my previously bootloader g4

Still better than a chinkphone, about as fast but much better camera, antenna etc.

Have you read the article you linked to?

>I ain't going to waste type heatgunning this thing every time it fucks over.
You seriously did that? There's a software fix doofus

>the absolute state of poordroids

Moto G5
>3 GB RAM, expandable memory, removable battery, 2017

Was it your answer OP?

Yes. Not OP but I have been looking for the same type of phone. Looks like G5 it is, plus it's supposed to get Android 8.

However, the weak processor worries me. =/

>I chose a shitty picture, let me try again.
Yeah hah, I was going to say - your first picture wasn't all-that. Second is def nice.
Does the Mi5s have OIS?

>You can fix the bootloader you know.
The common bootloop issue with the LG G4 is hardware-based, not software based. The best we know is that a solder contact relating to one of the CPU's melts and breaks contact. I fixed my phone by literally heating the thing up with a goddamn hairdryer for 10 minutes, and then pressing down on the CPU when it was hot. It bloody worked (for about a day) (and yes, I am aware that hairdryers do not have the thermal capacity to melt solder. But again, *it fucking worked*).

Further, the only variant of the LG G4 that can have its bootloader messed with is the H815EU, and one particular US carrier model iirc. So I don't know what you're talking about..
Care to elaborate?

>Was it your answer OP?
See

It's fixable by disabling cores. People say it's temporary but mine has been going strong for 5-6 months.

Maybe it can only be done on unlockable phones. In that case I'm sorry, I don't live in the US so I didn't think about that.

Nope, same sensor as the first gen Pixel phones. That seems to not come with OIS due to its size. Has large pixels though and EIS. First picture was taken at sunset into the sun, then brightened up dark areas. It's one of the worse I've taken, but yeah, not the best camera when light is leaving.

If you have any other questions / special picture requests, feel free to ask. Took about 1200 pictures so far.

>Have you read the article you linked to?
I don't know if you've ever had to deal with malfunctioning phones like this, but, I after my ordeal want to stay they hell away from anything with even a rumor of common defects.

>It's fixable by disabling cores. People say it's temporary but mine has been going strong for 5-6 months.
Yes, I'm aware of this solution. I don't know what's required to fix it. But if it involves bootloaders, I'd imagine it may be limited to the unlockable variants.
Regardless, I find disabling cores a simply untenable solution.
What variant is your G4?

>If you have any other questions / special picture requests, feel free to ask. Took about 1200 pictures so far.
Not particularly - I certainly appreciate a good camera, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about photography to really discriminate between capabilities. The feature that's probably most important to me right now though is OIS. It's some bloody amazing shit that I can't live without now

great movie!

If you need OIS, only consider the Mi6 from Xiaomi. Otherwise go with Samsung since LG is out. OnePlus used OIS in the 3 and 3T already, Huawei I'm not sure about.

I thought I'd miss OIS, but so far it's good, I guess low light pictures would profit from it though. But the sensor in the Mi5S can get away with 1/2500 s exposure time in good light, so I'm happy.

If you look at the pieces of nuts falling out of that keas beak, they seem almost frozen in mid air.

>If you need OIS, only consider the Mi6 from Xiaomi. Otherwise go with Samsung since LG is out. OnePlus used OIS in the 3 and 3T already, Huawei I'm not sure about.
At this stage, I'm still considering whether to go for an older phone with a removable battery, or give up and go non-removable.

If I go non-removable, pic related is my current option-set, resultant from the following requirements:
2017, 6GB+ RAM, 1440p+, 3.5mm jack, OIS
(I decided to go 6GB+ RAM because i figure if I want to upgrade, theres no point in just going 1GB more than my G4. Might as well make it a substantial increase)

Out of these, I'm partial to the Huawei P10 Plus and the Nokia 8, specifically because those are smaller phones (the rest are approaching 6 inches and above - I want a phone, not a tablet!). Also looking at the Asus Zenfone AR

Looking at these three's specs, can you comment on their cameras, given your photography knowledge? gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone1=8515&idPhone2=8522&idPhone3=8502