/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: >63190148

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

/tpg/ Discord Server:
discord.gg/cWZ8MgZ

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

ThinkPad BIOS image collection:
biosimage.booru.org

should i keep my near mint condition x220 or sell it for an x230 + keyboard mod?

So somebody offered me $350 for a T430 that I refurbished, I didn't pay a cent for it because I got it from the city dump.

It has a 128GB SSD in it and I kind of like the damn thing, do you guys think it's worth selling the laptop? Can I just buy another one or a better model with the money?

you can get a decent t430 for less than 350 bucks

Does anyone have a chiclet Lite-On keyboard on their ThinkPad?

me, my w530 has a liteon one. backlighted too

Can you compare it at all to a Chicony one?
If not, how is the trackpoint, any drift? And is the texture of the keycaps slippery?

havent use a chicony yet, my x220 also has a liteon judging by the modelnumber

the keycaps on all chiclets are kinda slippery

Can you put the T450 trackpad/touchpad/whatever you call it in the T440? I know it's possible in the T440p but I haven't found info on the T440.

Yes

How do you check model number without removing it?

cheers

you cant

Well anyways, I'm replacing my non-backlit with a backlit, and can't find any Lite-Ons anywhere.
I've heard Chicony is slipperier but has better track point. Lite-On has better feel.

I can't tell if it's splitting hairs though.

Yes sell it.

Easily
I got my t430 like 2 years ago for less than $250 (albeit without an ssd)
But with that money saved you could easily buy a new ssd.

nice op image

grabbed an x220 (8GB, 2.5GHz, Win7, 300GB HDD) for ~200CAD, would recommend for work or school
keyboard is definitely an improvement over modern laptops IMO
if you're used to a large screen though it will take a bit of an adjustment, also 1366 x 768 so no 4k 4u

I wish there was a way to put a 1080 in an x220 tablet. You can probably find a 1080 for the regular x220 if you look hard though, that'd be a nice upgrade.

take a gander at this 'pad, got the 1080p mod and classic keyboard

There is.
Nitrocaster's mod.

I'm dying for a 1080p screen for the T430 that doesn't flicker.

Nvm, I didn't realize you meant the tablet version.

Any eu user that bought laptop from us here? You pay customs, swap power supply cable and that's it right? No more additional charges or catches.

Should buy an X301 RIGHT NOW

That's actually very nice. I'm not sure it's actually worth the trouble of upgrading the keyboard, but to each it's own.

That was meant as a question. Fuck it, it's late. Screw it, I'm doing it. This is your fault, /tpg/. It is my 5th one of these shitty antiquated anime-watching machines.

is this a real post?? if it is I've gained even more respect for Crowder.

No, Crowder is the originator of the "This is the ideal male body" maymay. That is an edit. The poster simply edited it with a picture of his ThinkPad specs in a clever and humorous way to show us his hardware.

kek I guess I should have known by the strange RAM frequency and the fact that it's an X230 that's claiming to have a 1080p screen.

You can mod X230 and X220's to have FHD screens, that's what he did.

using a w530 here on gnu/linux. Any tips on how to elongate my battery life. I've already installed tlp.

is there any reason why I cant type the letter ß on my T420 with QWERTZ layout; can't even type a question mark which would be the same key. usally you just press the ß button to get the letter and shift+ß to get the question mark. However which button combination I try I only get ´´´ those
How do I fix this