/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/blue-yellow-back-warbler-1-male-2-f-sylvia-americana-plant-vulgo-louisiana-flag/tQE0k_6vqCyCsA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hi~

Having this in my .bashrc prevents me from logging in via tty. This snipppet is what allows me to bind my extra mouse keys. What could be preventing me from logging in via tty in the code below?

remote_id=$(
xinput list |
sed -n 's/.*Naga.*id=\([0-9]*\).*keyboard.*/\1/p'
)
[ "$remote_id" ] || exit

mkdir -p /tmp/xkb/symbols
cat >/tmp/xkb/symbols/custom

try running that snippet as a standalone bash script and see what it outputs.

Nothing printed to stdout

Well, it all depends on X11 shit. In a TTY, the DISPLAY variable isn't set so all your Xorg shit fails. ${remote_id} is empty and you exit.

That really doesn't seem like a .bashrc thing, more like .xinitrc.

Gee if only there were a way that you could turn on verbose debug in a bash script.

Fist for best thread of gee.

Please no harm the tux

Gee, if only tripgfags would stop browsing Anonymous image boards.

It's okay since the majority of posters practice good etiquette.

Is that uriel?

Close but not quite. That's /baot/'s late ambassador.

Of course not, what would he be doing in a GNU/Linux thread?

I'm installing linux on my mum's laptop. kde neon cause it looks similar to windows and works roughly the same with the taskbar and start menu and whatnot.

what is some essential linux software for mums?

Hi, GNU/Linux first timer boy. Please send pics of your mum giving cummies.

Probably the exit call.
Having that in your bashrc is diferent than running it in a shell, want to see how? Try sourcing the snippet from a file.

Emacs

Sourced a file with just the snippet in it and nothing was output to stdout

i dont wanna give her a stroke tho

no sir! my mums nudes are for me alone!

Why is it so rare for linux DE to have an option to disable mouse acceleration?
as far as i know, most versions of ubuntu force you to go into some obscure text file if you want to get rid of it, instead of just giving an option in the mouse options GUI.

Why should I be interested in learning about operating systems?

Check if TERM is linux else do your Xbox stuff.

Actually, it's kind of astonishing how many laypeople use Emacs. Tons of non-programming writers use Emacs. Emacs has been so long that people are actually not that intimidated by the qualities that make Emacs unique. It's especially useful for people like writers because, well, Emacs is a really good text editor. Combined with Org mode and several of the best email clients in existence only rivaled by Mutt, Emacs is really appealing.

*GNU/Linux

Hello folks

I need some help with my urxvt and vim configs. They look just right if I use GVim, since it doesn't depend on the terminal, but I can't manage to make them look like they're supposed to in terminal vim.

I set my .Xresources to have the exact same color set (gruvbox, light) as my Vimrc, however when I start urxvt it shows no text colors or anything like that. What gives? Anyone got examples of their Xresources to this effect?

You shouldn't. If you're not interested, you're free to leave at any time.

I should clarify, the Xresources settings look like they're supposed to in terminal, but as soon as I start terminal vim, they shit the bed

What is your $TERM?

because linux DEs are done by devs who don't really think in design/usability terms. ten to five years ago it seemed to get better but then it kinda plateaued and now we seems stuck. there's a basic level of usability consideration but there isn't really a polished or particularily well done distro / DE out there imo

that being said editing the xorg conf is pretty quick and painless

are you joking? if not, thanks i appreciate the explanation but i already installed libreoffice for that. it's just gonna be more familiar for her

Use wal.vim colorscheme

Linux doesn't come with DEs

yeah ok great thank you

What, because this is a place to learn about operating systems?

Wasn't that your implication?

Do it faggot

>don't include some obscure option to doo with speeding mouses
>w-well they don't really think in design/usability terms...
What a bizzare conclusion.

Try installing GNU/Linux.

>your

Wasn't that you're implication?

No, he's implication. I'm user.

its a shame, something as simple as a button to decide if you want accel or not would be piss easy but most environments completelly overlook it
what desktop environment is this?
what are the acceleration profile options?

Hi, user.

Kekse

This is Gnome 3.

ohayo

>mouse accel
>obscure
the thing they do is enable it and not even show you any GUI element to disable it.
if it just came disabled by default it would be great.

The first thing I do when I install an OS is disable mouse acceleration. Fuck whoever thought of it.

Hi, I'm pretty new to this. How would I go about getting the image from this site using bash-
google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/blue-yellow-back-warbler-1-male-2-f-sylvia-americana-plant-vulgo-louisiana-flag/tQE0k_6vqCyCsA

The image only gets high res when you zoom in, is there a way to get that particular version of the image?

Thanks!

why do you need it in bash?

i can splice it together from screenshots if you want

In all fairness even to disable it in windows or mac is super obscure. In mac it's basically impossible unless you're ok with your mouse having the speed of a turtle and you can't increase it.
And on windows you need to apply registry settings

Maybe but it would be very complicated, this page is using javascript to only the relevant parts of the image when required.

Just from randomly scrolling and zooming you get a whole bunch of requests that look like:

>/hAsx-FdmExH8jm752MQ...=x0-y0-z0-tt0gUcJ...
>/hAsx-FdmExH8jm752MQ...=x0-y0-z1-t69_ZdKC...
>/hAsx-FdmExH8jm752MQ=x0-y1-z1-tx5lw7NQ...

If you care enough about that picture of a bird on a flower to bother deciphering this, have fun.

i thought disabling "pointer accuracy" disabled mouse accel in windows

I don't know, I haven't used any windows higher than 7 and I remember every guide would give you registry values to input. The GUI settings might have worked in some fringe cases but for most people the only way to truly disable it was to go through the registry.
Granted some "gaming mice" that have their own software shit you install alongside them might disable stuff like that for you, so that might be why people think it's easier on windows when it's really not. Unless they made it easier in windows 8 or 10 I guess.

Nah, its good. I was wondering if there was an easier way through bash.

That's a shame.

>the thing they do is enable it
Pretty sure that is Xorg, not your DE.

i use mate not xorg

>if it just came disabled by default it would be great.
Distros should come with more profiling. The base profile should be sane settings that any computer nerd/programmer/gamer would want. Then they could have various plebian "facebook machine" tier profiles that come with all that retarded hipster shit like mouse acceleration and other "user friendly" things.

whelp i've already done it
> i.imgur.com/xh701RG.jpg
put it on imgur because it's too large to upload here.

Neat, do you think there's a way to automate the process you used?

FUCK drm. This is the future that /ic/ wants.

henlo senpai

Libre Office, Browser (preferably Firefox, but whatever she likes), some card games maybe, depending on what age likes. Furthermore, Ubuntu/KDE Neon probably already has tons of software pre-installed, so maybe you don't even need to worry 'bout that

1 minute

> i need an interface that gives me eyestrain and hemmorhoids to feel like a l33t linux user
> guys we need to get the usershare down below 1%

i do illustration and had my work 'stolen' before. that is, i participated in a competition on 99designs, the guy who commissioned it said he didn't like any of the entries and then used mine. can't really afford a lawyer so i just let it be but it sucks, i can understand why people use it. still gay

no, i can't code for shit, i just literally took screenshots and stitched them together in photoshop.

i imagine it might be possible to set up a 'virtual display' with a fuckhueg resolution and take browser screenshots? you'd still have to do it manually but it would save you a lot of time stitching together images.

i doubt there's a clean solution for this, google probably knows what it's doing

>some card games maybe
oh shit there's an idea. thanks.

Mac is a device.

>i do illustration and had my work 'stolen' before. that is, i participated in a competition on 99designs, the guy who commissioned it said he didn't like any of the entries and then used mine. can't really afford a lawyer so i just let it be but it sucks, i can understand why people use it. still gay
No, I'm totally sympathetic to what you mean. That's the whole point of copyleft, to protect artists from hawks like that. That's what our BSD friends don't understand about restrictions in copyleft licensing: not every program is a library or a script that can easily be tossed around. It's not always that entities like large companies have the incentive to contribute upstream to free software projects, and the same is true for creative licenses. But if someone distributes their media under normal copyright, that's something that should absolutely be respected, in the same way that someone should respect copyleft. We need copyleft because, ultimately, it's better for the ecosystem to encourage derivative works and, thus, free speech. Sites like DeviantArt are so sleazy, because they take away ownership of art that users submit. It's sad that the mainstream hates imageboards like Sup Forums so much, because Sup Forums is really, sadly, the gold standard for what social media should be, since all of our posts are under creative commons. And the benefit of this is that we have a culture that revels in derivative works--memes; just in the same way that the mainstream flocks to proprietary software, artists flock towards a distribution model that's superficially appealing but ultimately un-pragmatic. It's depressing to watch.

MAC is an address.

fast foot.

>runescape client for loonix
wtf i love runescape now!

Foot is a body part.

Gahnoo/loonix*

Foot is a DE.

*leenis with ghenu.

So I see you're using gnome.

Hartkeks

I love you. Really.

you've just won this thread

thanks senpai we luv u 2

Oh god. Roommate didn't pay the bills. I'm cut off electricity. 15% power left. I love you all, y-you too

R.I.P.

I have a VPS. I won't be able to access it at all for a year. I need it to keep running in the meantime.

It's mainly used to fetch and accumulate data, which is a problem since the storage fills up quickly. There's no reasonable way to expand the storage, so I have to push the data somewhere and delete it from the VPS.

So my 2 questions:
1) Is there a guide or something I can follow that talks about best practices and/or solutions to problems that might arise during my absence?

2) What's the best place to automatically push data? (I'm estimating a couple of hundreds of gigabytes total)
Or is it better to mount a cloud storage thing and just write data there?
I'm thinking of going with Backblaze B2. Looks like it could be the cheapest option and it has CLI tools, which means simple scripting.

Any GTK theme otakus here?
I have a GTK3 theme that I like but the progress bar in transmission-gtk is white (I guess) so I can't see it. What css do I need to specify in the theme's gtk.css file to change its color?

It's urxvt

If you be a good boy you can get computer privileges in prison.

Not prison. Not even close to it, thankfully. But it's a long story.

Want to switch off of mint onto something better, i program and shit what should i move to Sup Forums? lmao

Actually I just went through every entry defined as white 1 by 1 and changed their color. I hit an entry that changed the entire background and still no bar was visible. So I wonder if it's actually transparent or something.

Program on Mint
Distrohopping is a meme that people keep perpetuating but you're lying to yourself if you think "I'm going to code more and be more productive if I just switch distro"

Yep, change of surroundings literally never helped anyone ever. It's all a conspiracy perpetrated by the Big Change.

But seriously, you have to be retarded to equate wanting to switch to another distro with "distrohopping". Especially when the starting distro is pretty trash and not worth using if that user is looking for something more.

Ubuntu if you want it to just werk.
Arch if you want it to work like you want it to.

Unity so sexy. Why did the cosmonaut kill her?
So, if Ubuntu 16.04 or 17.10?

>Why did the cosmonaut kill her?
Nobody really wanted/needed it, which made the development costs unreasonable.
Wasn't there a community project that's trying to keep Unity alive? Look into that if you really want it, but I'd recommend you just move on.

>So, if Ubuntu 16.04 or 17.10?
I haven't heard any reasons to not use 17.10 (as opposed to 16.04, which was a total mess when it first released).

eh, i used to dislike it. i felt like ubuntu pre-unity was always about taking what's there and making it work more smoothly, polishing it. that was nice ... and then they had to reinvent the wheel with unity.

that being said unity 8 wouldve been the first iteration that actually looked sleek, and now they had to kill it .. bummer. especially how half assed the gnome implementation looks

i guess mark's tired of this shit and just wants to make a profitable company outta canonical

elementary is actually nice if you want something simple and dont mind that it's obviously 'heavily inspired' by OSX

you could try KDE neon or fedora for gnome 3 if you wanna try out the old mammoths. personally i like the no bullshit design philosophy in gnome 3 applications, but i hate the shell so i use KDE with some gnome programs. KDE is nice in that the whole interface is just very close to standard windows behaviour

osbuddy or konduit

I have trouble identifying which window is selected when using i3 without titlebars and it's annoying.
Here are the options I have in mind:
1) Install compton, have it dim unfocused windows. It's not perfect because if I select a container rather than a window compton will keep on dimming windows inside said container.
2) Move to i3-gaps. I'd do it but i3-gaps isn't in gentoo's default repos and I'd rather add another overlay to portage.

Is there anything else I could try?

Or you could just enable title bars

Change the colorscheme.

what other distros besides ubuntu have a gui for installing proprietary drivers?