The absolute STATE of monitors

>built a new rig and need a monitor since I'm still using a 10 year old $150 TFT @ 1680x1050

>decide to research different types for a few days

>meme tech being shilled by Acer/Asus/Viewsonic

>muh $800 GSYNC 165Hz-240Hz on shitty AU Optronics panels with ungodly backlight bleeding, dead pixel clusters, dust and smoke trapped behind panel

>you're literally expected to fork out as much money as for a fucking TV for some of the cheapest and most poorly QC'd panels out there and it's you've got a 50% chance of getting a "premium" panel that's unusable out of the box

Other options are all fucking memes as well:

>ultrawide fuckhuge monitors that your GPU can't drive at ultra settings on 1440p or god forbid 4K... also my god how big are people's desks that they need screens that huge?

>4K and 8K monitors that will only be worth using with 1080 Ti's in SLI which most people can't afford

>decent manufacturers like LG and Samsung only offer nice monitors with Freesync

When did things get so fucking bad? There are no actual premium monitors out there - only "gaymer" shit like ASUS ROG and Acer Predators. I would've got an XB271HU for my i7-7700/GTX1080 rig but you know what? Fuck them - both Acer and ASUS. I've voted with my wallet and bought a 25" 1440p Dell Ultrasharp IPS. Why? Because it'll fucking work AND look good out of the box - their QC is lightyears ahead of the Acer/ASUS $1,000 Goy Edition Supreme monitors.

Where the fuck are consumer-grade OLED monitors? The tech's been around for decades! Where are Samsung/LG GSYNCs so I don't have to pay a premium price for broken trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UiOdLbmnx8k
news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2016/11/en161128-4/en161128-4.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I use a 4k monitor with a single 1080Ti. You can turn down your settings, you know.

>Where are Samsung/LG GSYNCs so I don't have to pay a premium price for broken trash?
>GSYNC
>not premium price
Pick one.

Opinion on Dell Professional series monitors, Sup Forums?

The shear autism required to make a display called "Predator".

While I agree with your post I buy from whatever works our the box

Asus never failed me on the monitor side so I trust their product but yeah the gaming market fucked everyone over

It’s just a shitty time to buy a monitor. 4K is the new standard but midrange GPUs haven’t really caught up yet. I’d wait a couple years til then. Also 4K monitors will be cheaper too.

If you need to buy one right now, just get a refurb Dell Ultrasharp for a song and hang tight for a bit.

I bought a samsung c24fg73 monitor 24' curved 1080p VA panel 144hz 1ms for 300euros and I couldn't be any happier for my purchase, the VA panel is almost like an IPS one without blb and the aesthetic of the monitor is elegant and minimal without the autistic gaymer design

enjoy that nvidia $100+ GSYNC premium

ill be enjoying my freesync over here

Not too sure about the professional series but I have duel Dell Ultra sharp (U2515H) and I couldn't be happier

Dell ultrasharp series has always been the Sup Forums monitor.

Opinion on the Dell U30-32" monitors? Is 1440p good enough at that size?

Depends on how far you are from the monitor, 32" might be a bit big for 1440p

No idea about that particular monitor. My dell is from 2010. But yeah, 1440p is fine at that size, no point in getting 4k.

It's goddamn criminal. The entire industry should be ashamed for pushing such crap on consumers (not that we're not blameless - but at least give us some real options!). IMO buy an OLED TV for movies and gaming, if you can afford it, and forget about using a PC monitor for anything other than web browsing or work for the next few years.

>GSYNCs
>don't have to pay a premium price
Pick one faggit. Are you blind enough to see why Gsync is a failure?

That's what you get when you buy Nvidia. No standards supported, overpriced proprietary "gaming" crap.
There are a lot of excellent AMVA, or equivalent, Samsung panels with freesync and 3000:1 contrast ratio.
IIRC massdrop has added one of them recently.

>too many autists expecting a fully specced out monitor with perfect build quality for consumer prices.

I'm using a 32CHG70 which got shat on by all the autists for having poor text quality and subpar GtG response, I also own the XB271HU that everyone harps on for backlight bleed.

They're both great monitors if you don't go in expecting professional editing monitor levels of color accuracy and build quality. It'd be hard to point out anything shitty about them at all if I hadn't read all the flaws about them online.

Oh and gsync/freesync is completely overrated if you already use a 120+hz display, setting the preferred refresh rate to 'highest available' instead of 'application-controlled' will dramatically reduce tearing even in 60 FPS capped applications.

And for competitive GAYMING you wouldn't want to play with gsync on anyways, you'd want uncapped (250+) FPS for the lowest input lag which would put it out of most gsync/freesync range.

Lg and samsung are bad goys , they said fuck you novidia a long time ago . That s why no g scam on their monitors .

Also wtf you complain ? Gscam is expensive , you want that ? Pay fagot

ultra settings are a useless anyway, high settings most of the time do the same visuals at higher framerates

I have a 42" Microboard (Korean brand) UHD IPS 60Hz monitor. I run GTX 970's in SLI. It does decent at 4K for games, but it's definitely not optimal for FPS competitive play. The 8ms GTG delay is terrible. I'm honestly considering going with a 5ms GTG MVA 40" panel instead.

40" UHD displays are amazing, as they don't require font scaling and act like 2x2 1080p screens. It really has changed the way I do work on my system. I really like it. I no longer make windows full screen, but place them around my screen like I would a true desk's surface. It's pretty neat.

I'm going to upgrade to a single GTX 1080 Ti soon when I build a new Threadripper 1900X rig. Should be a nice upgrade. I really should get a new monitor, though.

>rig
>>>v

Anyway, take the eizopill. yall WISH you had colors as beautiful as these... if you could see them!

>too many autists expecting a fully specced out monitor with perfect build quality for consumer prices
The problem is there's no amount of money you can spend to get a fully specced out monitor with perfect build quality. They simply don't exist.

You can get high quality panels for a few thousand bucks - but they're specced for image editing, so they're 60hz with poor pixel response and input lag. OR you can spend $1k+ for a 21:9 display with all the bells and whistles (120hz, G-sync etc.) BUT the panel quality will be abysmal, with blacklight bleed all over the place and crap black levels (if IPS), or smearing and crap viewing angles (if VA). There are NO choices, no matter how much you spend, you want an LCD that gets anywhere close to "perfect." OLED is about the best you can get right now, just have to be careful about burn-in, and the available sizes aren't exactly desktop-friendly.

I use a BENQ 1920 x 1080 monitor I bought at a secondhand shop for $15, I don't give a fuck.

27 is as large as I would go for 1440p

Honestly backlight bleed has very little affect unless you sit in a dark room staring at a black screen a lot.

nearly decade old korean OC shit still works

Because they are still people willing to pay the early adopter tax. You have been memed into thinking 1440p is the bare minimum you should accept by the marketers. Honestly I think it's best to just build a rig for what you think is reasonable price and just stop reading tech "News" sites that are thinly veiled advertisements. That way you won't be complied to by the latest and greatest every year when your current rig is more than sufficient.

Which you might very well do if you play certain genres of games or watch movies on your PC.

It is kind of weird there are no G-Sync models from Samsung or LG. I wonder what the problem is. Contract issues with Nvidia I assume.

Does it have g sync? Thought so.

Fair enough.

Good thread OP. I was just thinking how fucky the monitor industry is right now. I mean you can buy a 40" 4K TV for like $200. I really think gaymen are getting gouged.

With 120+hz displays you will be making compromises until 4k 120hz oled with DP 1.4, even then there will be oled 5% gray vignetting, dead pixels and potential burn-in.

You're right though, 120hz 'professional' displays do not exist as it's not necessary for editors. But if such a monitor were to exist in the professional field it would cost at least $5k for a 27" 120+hz. So ~$1k for a specced out 21:9 34" 120hz UW w/ gsync is not something you should be expecting top shelf professional build quality from.

I have a BenQ XL2411.

24 Inch, 1080p, 144hz.

Only downside is TN panel. It’s pretty shit.

IPS 144hz is becoming a thing, I shoulda waited. Oh well

Again though, there are zero options even if you're Richie Rich and can drop $20k on a monitor. They just don't exist.

Like I said, OLED isn't perfect, but it's about as good as it gets right now.

>>muh $800 GSYNC 165Hz-240Hz on shitty AU Optronics panels with ungodly backlight bleeding, dead pixel clusters, dust and smoke trapped behind panel
this

im still using a 2009 samsung t260r 1920x1200x60 tn led backlit

They are professional monitors. I would not play games on one.
I prefer my 1080p TN LG to my U2515H

I just want a 1440p IPS monitor, but today even those aren't that cheap.

Is it true that modern TN panels have good colors?

Free/g sync only makes sense if you can't keep solid 144fps, after that it turns off. Gee user, is your PC really tgat bad?

I'd say it's overrated even if you can't maintain a solid 144fps. As long as you have it at preferred max refresh rate and vsync off it will dramatically reduce tearing even if you're in the 40-100 fps range.

No that's not how it works at all.

Really doesn't get much better than the ultrasharp line for work

S2716DG for gaymes

Yes it is.

>dramatically reduce tearing

Tearing even once is unacceptable to me.

Oops sorry I read your comment wrong.

>cont

The only time gsync/freesync is necessary IMO is with 60hz displays, but who the hell that games seriously will stick with a 60hz display? They're already on a 144hz if financially possible.

Personally G-sync saves me money. Instead of 800$ for the latest and greatest GPU I just run a mid range one and adjust the setting in game as low as I find visually acceptable. If the frame rate still isn't great after that then g sync has my back.

my tv does the same, and i think it gets worse overtime
this bleeding and dead pixels should be a punishable crime

If you're talking about their P series, its average-good quality IPS monitors. nothing amazing like the ultrasharp series. Their S series gaming monitors like S2417DG and S2716DG monitors are OK but the fact is that LCDs are overpriced and Gsync doesnt provide much value but bumps the sticker price up quite a bit.

Honestly I love my CRT and I'll probably return this S2417DG. Dell is the one of the few panel makers that isn't making monitors for 13 year olds with RGB LED gay shit.

Well it does seem to be targetting the 13 year old males that like GAMING tech. So Predator makes sense.

>It's gloss, not matte.

Yessss. I hope this makes a comeback.

The absolute state of monitors indeed

After having some 10 year old piece of shit ghosting 1680 TN panel monitor, I decided to treat myself and upgrade to a proper 1080p IPS panel. Dell ultrasharp U2414H 23.8". Stunningly beautiful, reasonable price. I figure 1080p will be the stock standard for another 5-10 years. Couldn't be happier. That was 2 years ago.

I recently got a Dell Ultrathin S2718D. 27" 1440p IPS. It's such a hot piece of garbage. Emits harmonic interference, knocking out my wifi. It's gloss, not matte. The viewing angles make the entire screen appear grainy as hell, the factory colour calibration is way off and I don't feel like spending hours trying to correct it. Can't rotate it, not height adjustable. And dell charges $1100 for it? Christ.

I'm thinking of buying the U2715H. Would like to know as well.

I bought a 27" 1440p Korean monitor. 100hz VA panel. Works fine but has a bit of backlight bleed.

Bought acer xf27hua. 27" 1440 ips, 144hz. Works fine no backlight bleed or problems.

The autism is in the guy complaining about a product name.

My CRT is a Sony GDM-FW900. One of a few CRTs which are still not dethroned by LCD's. Smooth gaming at 85hz at 1200p or 1440p.

I've read way too much about displays this last year and lucked out. I scored a lot of 5 of these Sony CRTs. Sold 3 of them each for 300% what I paid for the lot. Some people paid up to $1000 to have them shipped cross country. Its well worth it to the right person.

Dude we have that at work. I'm not impressed. My Korean 4k chroma 4.4.4 has better colors out of the fucking box lol

That's what I think man. recently saw a 27" 1080p which looked like absolute dogshit. You reckon a 4k monitor is even worth the $$ today?

No he's right. The gaymen branding and styling of many of the new monitors from Acer and Asus makes them absolute no buy for me.

No. Its still future gen. Cards can't drive it and none exceed 60hz that I've seen. Though some might. Hold off unless you don't game. and yeah 27" at 1080p is a no go. 1440p at 24" is nice and 27" isn't bad either. I've owned both. I prefered the 24 but it was less immersive but more crisp and less aliasing.

I just use an HP LP3065 from 2006. It's 1600p, and looks nice. Blacks still look really good on it, and the cffl backlight is really easy on my eyes.

Surprised no one mentioned HDR 10 which is also starting to hit pc monitors.

>xf27hua

>xf27hua

Is what oc forum saying true, that the overdrive is busted and it has ghosting and higher response time in games?

Quick rundown?

Have never tried overdrive.

No ghosting or noticeable delays that I have noticed. The only negative thing is that I have a novidea 1080ti. I could not justify buying Vega because it was Shit.

Not that guy, but it's a new standard for HDR that companies can implement in their products so that they match the requirements for HDR. It's also "true" HDR iirc.

I doubt any reasonably priced monitors are going to come out with it though, HDR is premium tech and seems to be reserved for high-end products. TVs have it, but a lot of TVs also have fake hdr where they just tweak the image settings.

What's the difference between TV panels and Monitors? Inputs and sizes. TV's are so much cheaper though.

ive had a u3011 for a few years and other than the price (was something like $1400 australian) its fucking based. i dont tryhard in competitive FPS games so if there is input lag im too casual to tell. tn is for fucking plebs

it's all gone tits up

not only are fucking android phones beating us in resolution and screen technology, they'll probably surpass us in average refresh rate too (look at that razer memephone)

TV panels have higher input lag and aren't as precise since you sit further away from them I guess.
I really have no clue because I haven't looked into it much.

Monitor market is shit right now, it's sad how little quality control there is for what you're paying.
I'm planning on buying an OLED tv soon and using that as my main monitor, they're expensive but they give a much better picture than any monitor today.

my benq va panels doesn't have this problem.

>>decent manufacturers like LG and Samsung only offer nice monitors with Freesync

Why is that a problem? Having Freesync is a good thing.
And besides, if you for some stupid reason didn't want it, you can turn it off.

> not using U2414H
Kill yourself

I have them in 27 and 30. 30 still has good dpi and works for deeper desks. Agreed in principle though, I want to have pixels, not see them.

If you're going to use it as a main monitor, some UI elements will burn in pretty fast, like taskbar, window buttons, headers of apps you frequently use...
I know that burn in is not a real problem when watching movies or playing games, but as a PC display it will burn in pretty fast.

Buy AOC

>ultrawide fuckhuge monitors that your GPU can't drive at ultra settings on 1440p or god forbid 4K... also my god how big are people's desks that they need screens that huge?

I use a dinner small table for a desk.

It's perfect if you don't want to do DPI scaling

Good that you've learned your lesson. Next time, read user reviews. TFT Central is a good place for monitor reviews, but unfortunately they can't or don't talk about QC issues. If you paid more attention, you would've realized how many complaints there were about 1440p 144+Hz monitors. Last time I checked, Dell S2716DG was the only model without quality issues.

unless you want 5 minute idle to screen off oled would be terrible as a monitor

>Full HD

kek

I have that monitor. Overdrive is defaulted as "Normal" and can't be change when FreeSync is on. Tbh "Normal" is the best setting anyway since ghosting is barely noticeable in that mode and in "Extreme" mode there is a lot of inverse ghosting.

The claims of backlight bleed on the OC forum for that model are over exaggerated imo. People need to turn their fucking brightness down and stop viewing their monitor from so close. I have mine wall mounted and brightness set to 22. When over 2 feet away there is no backlight bleed, the IPS glow is more noticeable but for a £400 144hz 1440p IPS monitor, you should expect that.

>I doubt any reasonably priced monitors are going to come out with it though
HDR10 should be standard within a few years.

Stop shitting on the GPU manufactures. They're the only ones pushing monitor technology by working towards certification standards from the TV market. But I digress, the meme shit lasers are embarrassing.

All dell does is push 16k color shit for frogtographers.

Just get an OLED TV. You can find them for $1000 these days.

Dell E773c and Dell E2213H dual-head here. They're pretty good. But I need new specs

Why the fuck don't we have local dimming on monitors? It's not like it'd actually be expensive or difficult to implement, and you save money on autists not returning because of uneven lighting

Those upcoming 4K 144Hz HDR screens from Asus and Acer will have 384 area local dimming too, but they've been delayed to 2018 apparently and with their feature list they may end up being ridiculously expensive.

You can get a Dell UP2718Q with 384 zones of local dimming right now, plus the haloing to go with it:
youtube.com/watch?v=UiOdLbmnx8k

Local dimming is a kludge. The only LCD tech I've seen that shows any promise for anything more than incremental improvement is Panasonic's million-to-one contrast IPS panels:
news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2016/11/en161128-4/en161128-4.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll be affordable anytime soon. The only displays announced so far that will be using it are the Flander's Scientific XM310K and the Eizo CG3145. The latter is $TBD, but the former has a list price of $45k. These are intended for high end production work, but that's still at least an order of magnitude more than they need to cost to be competitive with OLED for the consumer market.

Currently using pic related with a 1080, and I fucking love it.

>U2414H

do this:
>go to nvidia control panel
>display
>change resolution
>scroll down
>choose use nvidia colour settings
>change Output dynamic range to Full
>Apply
>be fucking amazed that there are a whole new world of colors you haven't seen on your display before

Yeah while you're there, you might also want to change the video color settings to full dynamic range.

The thing is, U2414H would be a pretty decent display (I'm using one right now), but sadly there are a couple of issues with it.
The worst one is the EDID it reports to your PC. It's completely fucked up, it reports TV resolutions in the extended block, and your drivers will default to limited color range because of that! (same happens with AMD, not the driver's fault)

That means it crushes the 0-255 color range to 16-235, cutting the bottom and the top, it looks pale shit.

Every time the driver updates, or just something changes about displays (like you switch between two, or extend then disable), there's a chance it goes back to limited colours.

There is one semi-permanent fix, you can delete the extension block from the display's edid in your driver with CRU (custom resolution utility), you can also easily overclock to 72hz with it (make sure it's in LCD reduced timing). I could make a little tutorial video if anyone cares.

>Not getting freesync or gsync

Normies these days

I did it anyway.

You can use this to overclock any displays. If you mess up and nothing shows up after running restart.exe or restart64.exe, PRESS F8 and it will reset.
Always put the native resolution in the detailed resolutions.
I like to leave only the OC'd resolution in there so fullscreen games have no other choice than to use that refresh rate. Helpful if you cannot change refresh rate in the settings (I'm looking at you, cs:go)

You do realize Dell use au optronics panels too right?
Anyway, im waiting for the 27 1440 quantum dot. At least it don't have the issues of ips

Really IPS looks much better but the yields and quality control for high frequency and resolution is abysmal.
Tn at least is cheap and don't suffer with IPS problems, but viewing angles look like shit with 27 and upper.

I'm still waiting to see what Sam quantum dot will bring to table.

> ITT gaymers or retards

Listen, 4K supersampled to 1080p on a 21" OR 4K / 5k (depending on your gpu power) super sampled to 1440p on a 24" to 32" screen looks AMAZING. Crisp text, cripst UI, everything looks sexy as fuck.

Plus points for IPS.

And high dpis actually help with eye strain, you know, for those of us who are actually productive.