/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Use a search engine such as the following that respects your freedom first before asking us

duckduckgo.com/
startpage.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

slickdeals.net/f/10684908-behringer-u-phoria-umc-22-audio-interface-with-midas-mic-preamplifier-33-or-behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-with-midas-mic-preamplifiers-60-free-shipping
min-api.cryptocompare.com/data/pricemultifull?fsyms=BTC&tsyms=USD
amazon.ca/Acer-Aspire-i5-7200U-Windows-E5-575-54QD/dp/B075SXQN1X/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509820926&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop
ebay.com/itm/263294314953
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

advantages/disadvantages of vectors vs lists for dynamic memory in C++ objects
alterantive methods?

Moto X play with root, xposed and TWRP installed along with the factory rom. Finally got the N update but it's nagging me all the time. Is it safe to update with TWRP installed? I'll disable super su and xposed

Nagging you about what?

Update has been downloaded. When do you want to update?
I can only postpone it by setting a time which is a maximum of 24 hours. Where can I get just the recovery img? I don't want to download an entire rom just for it

You already a running a cucked rom, just open up a little wider.

Reposting in new thread, because I realized that old one hit the bump limit. Im very sorry.

#

I downloaded it from official site, so thats why I found it weird. Also, I was not browsing any shady sites or downloading something big and I scan every file anyway.

If I would want to check again, is it safe to temporary install Malwarebytes if I already have Avast installed?

It looks like the PSP organises games by the date the folder was created. I can change this by copying the folder and deleting the original. Is there a command line way to do this? Everyone says that Unix doesn't care about the creation time so touch can't do it, but there must be some way, yeah?
Organisers on the PSP aren't working, for some reason.

Hey guys, i trust this board more then anything on the web when it comes to tech so pls give me your best purchase advice.

I will go to university in a few months and need a laptop. Since my current pc sucks I also want to use the laptop for gaming (plug in my monitor/keyboard)

Can you tell me the best laptops for me? affordable would be good

>Hey guys, i trust this board more then anything on the web when it comes to tech
You are doomed.

On my laptop, firefox seemingly randomly won't load some websites. Same websites are loaded in other browsers.
What could be the problem?
How can I find out what's going on?
Serious answers appreciated, as this issue really sucks.

I'm about to replace my old macbook pro battery and I'm trying to drain it completely before I do.
Why is it that dying batteries shut down the computer even though there's plenty of charge left?
I've been gone through the laptop powering off due to lack of charge, plugging it in just long enough to let it turn on and unplugging it 4 times now.
It seems that when I do tasks that are a bit more GPU intensive it just panics and shuts off, even though the charge is far from empty.
Also, it's not just a Mac thing, as I've gone through phones that acted in the same way.
The strange thing is that these devices will refuse to power on after shutting down due to lack of charge, but when they power on again they'll display as much as 50% charge left.

Gonna try shitposting on 4chinz until it's truly dry meanwhile.

Could it be the adblocker you've installed/some other extension/add-on?
Could you link one such website?

What is this YouTube player app often shilled here?

this desu most people here are just shitposting.

either way, I'd suggest looking at laptops by the more popular brands (hp, asus, acer, dell, lenovo, etc) in your price range
Then look at the GPU's specs on notebookcheck, which provides benchmarks/scoreboards, and usually includes average FPS for games.
Look at reviews for the laptops that meet your desired specs

Is Western Digital still the brand to go for external hard drives? I'm in need for another 3TB one.

Tbh I think the new Dell XPS line looks really great, but I suspect the slimness will affect performance (compact form factor -> overheating -> throttling to avoid heat death)
Bear that in mind

Hello gentlemen, I have acquired through lawful means a lovely Thinkpad. However, the SSD is ATA protected and a USB enclosure won't access the drive. What are my options? Can I run rainbow tables or boot a windows disc by usb? I don't want to try any hdparm wizardry because I am pleb and might brick the thing. Halp

Thanks for ur answer, mate.
I didn't install anything new, but I use noscript and ublock origin.
The thing is: after some time, I can reload the sites with f5.
An as I said, it's random sites, eg also google.com and duckduckgo.com. Can't see any pattern or logic behind the behaviour, what's driving me nuts...

newpipe

why do i want to fuck nagato so bad?

Are there any monitor arms that can switch which monitor is in front. I want the 4k screen in front of me when doing normal things with the 144hz on the left side but then when I'm playing games I want the 144hz infront and the 2k on the side.

Is this syntax in Access wierdly complicated or am I retarded?
=DLookUp("[wire crimp height min]";"tabContactData";"[Contact PN] = '" & [Forms]![formOperatorDataEntry]![fODE_ContactPN] & "'" & " AND [Wire size] = '" & [Forms]![formOperatorDataEntry]![fODE_Wiresize] & "'")

Does the length of a headphone's cable affect its sound quality? I have ath-m50x and it seems the SQ is slightly worse from my laptop when I use the longer coiled cable.

How do I download all pictures of a Twitter account at once?
There are some very nice accounts with tens of thousands of pics

I use Windows 7 with Google chrome and the Advanced Font Settings addon.
Why do I still see blank boxes, even if I have all the fonts needed (1) for a script?

Hello

My current computer is a mess and I would like to buy a new one, but I have one question.

My sisters computer has plenty of virusses on it, by some stupid mistake I suspect I transfered some of hers to mine.
She won't listen to me though and won't let me help her clean her computer.

I'm worried that I have some virusses on my computer now too.

Is it possible for the virusses to stay on the machine anywhere besides the HDD / Motherboard?
Perhaps the intergrated memory of a monitor or keyboard or CPU / RAM?

If I were to buy a new computer, would I be only a 100% safe if I buy a new monitor and such too, or will I still experience weird bugs / issues / glitches?

Side info: All PCs are connected to the same router.

Also I get different font in words with IPA characters in them. Even if the font contains all the IPA letter necessary. And it changes into a serif font for some reason.

process explorer question: what does the red in the cpu graph mean?

it's sometimes higher than in the screenshot

It's your autism levels m8. There is probably a spike as you're reading this.

thanks

I'm having problems with CPU temps from time to time. While playing any demanding game there's a chance my CPU will just go up to ~100 C until I exit the game. This happens like once a month maybe, so most of the time the temps will be normal: ~60 C. Anyone know what's wrong?

Anything on Windows that allows me to categorize folders better? I don't want the same file in multiple folders because it fits in several categories.

Would this be considered a good preamplifier?
slickdeals.net/f/10684908-behringer-u-phoria-umc-22-audio-interface-with-midas-mic-preamplifier-33-or-behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-with-midas-mic-preamplifiers-60-free-shipping

I know next to nothing about audio equipment but my brother wants one for Christmas. He wants to be able to record his voice and do some minor broadcasting with it and voiceovers for his friend's project.

plz respond

Kinda. HGST is the best HDD company around going by failure rates. HGST is a subsidiary of Western Digital, the second best.
If you want to keep your data, go with one of these 2. Source is pic related.

That said, I've used the same 3tb seagate drive for almost 4 years not, and never had any problems. I don't think it really matters unless you are going to be running stuff off of it constantly.

Do i need amd catalyst center? i managed to install just the driver without installing it but does it make a difference? overdrive is useless anyways.

holy shit

it has some extra features

you can always try it and uninstall it if you don't think it does anything useful

i use a tv as a second monitor and i had to install it to change the pixel format to one that looks better

anyone know the best beginner programming book for c++ that i wont finish in a week and will actually teach past simple command line programs

I mine crypto over night every other night. While it's fine, my computer shut off over night and upon turning it back on, a loud rumbling noise consistently grumbles. Temp is fine and the computer itself runs normal.

What should I look for and test upon opening to figure out what's wrong?

>tl;dr how to check for a RAT?

What are some ways I can find out if my PC has been infected with a RAT?

I was watching Twitch and my mouse started moving. I unplugged my usb mouse thinking it was to blame, but the cursor kept moving anyway. My track pad wouldn't work, so I plugged my mouse in and alt+f4'd to get to my desktop, then I signed out using ctrl alt delete.

My mouse worked fine once I had signed out, so I used this opportunity to reboot my computer. Booted back up it seems fine. Mouse isn't moving or anything.

I did a scan with MBAM and Windows Defender and both came up clean, but I'm paranoid and I'd like to be as sure as possible.

do the websites work with all add-ons disabled?
dumb question, but have you tried restarting the computer?
that's all I got senpai

I found a chrome addon that that did that once but the save order was royally fucked so i didnt even use it besides to extract image links from it, which it provided

Is there a good text file format openable in Notepad++ that supports color coding selected blocks of text? I'd like to highlight certain things but it seems this is impossible with just a .txt file at least persistently.

Ever since I did this Windows 10 feature update a couple days ago my PC has been running slow and it loads all of my start ups in the backgrounds before I even typed in my password and signed in.

Am i the only one?

I want to try programming a mobile application on Android for synching simple lists between clients and a server. How would i go about that?

Go for an AV searching distro with the latest virus signatures. This is the best method aside nuking the cube

A what now?
Like a Linux distro specifically for searching for viruses?

You got any recommendations? I'm vaguely familiar with using Linux, but I don't know much about distros.

Cheers

a livecd just for av wouldn't surprise me, but you can also just get any livecd and install clamav onto it

Neat, thanks lad.

Making a bootable Ubuntu now. Just so I'm sure I know what I'm doing, I scan my C and D drives with ClamAV while in a Linux live cd? I have a recovery partition, should I scan that too?

Got a question about a computer i am building. I am currently going with a rx 580, but since the Vega 56 is just 100 € more expensive i thought if it be better to just go with the vega. Next thing is that since if i would go with the vega my max watt consumption would go up to around 400 watt. Should i upgrade my power supply also? currently going with a 600 watt be quiet dark power.

How can I use template literals in JS to get a value from an API response that requires me to interpolate variables in the response object?

for example:

const upperCaseBase = "BTC";
const currency = "USD";
//api get request here
resolvedPrice = _.round(`res.data.RAW.${upperCaseBase}.${currency}.PRICE`, 2)

API response looks like this: min-api.cryptocompare.com/data/pricemultifull?fsyms=BTC&tsyms=USD

no harm in scanning everything
be sure to run freshclam to update it's virus definitions before starting (it'll probably also tell you if it's out of date)

> buying amd
> being a faggot

>live in corner of a country
>CloudFare server is in the opposite corner
what the heck does a cloudfare server do? is there a way of visualizing my routing on a map to just see how fucked up and unoptimized it is?

i guess you could do a tracert then geolocate each hop

Are there any sorts of ethernet-connected Wifi receivers? Like, something you connect to your computer through the internet port, and perhaps USB for power, and then you can configure it to receive a Wifi signal? The only ones I've found, it's unclear if you need some retarded chinky wangblows-only software or if you can configurate them with a web-based interface like with a router.

Freshclam seems to have updated definitions fine. Didn't get any errors or anything.

If I'm doing
>clamscan -r /
To scan all files on the computer, would that include my windows hard drives or just the files from which I'm booting?
Both my drives are mounted.

Thanks for the hand holding by the way, really appreciate the help.

>clamscan -r /
not a good idea, as / contains things which aren't real files as well, generally you should avoid any kind of recursive operation on / unless you really know what you're doing
>would that include my windows hard drives
only if they're mounted

you should scan the folder they're mounted in, or specify each
for example, let's say they're at "/media/windows", "/media/recovery", etc. you can do "clamscan -r /media" to get them all
you might also want to specify "--log=/tmp/scan.log" so you can review the results properly in a text editor

How do I turn my laptop into a desktop?
Like only use the external monitor and not the laptop monitor on things like BIOS and shit

some laptops might use an external monitor by default if present
there might also be a key combination that switches between the laptops' display and an external one
check your laptop's manual
disconnecting the internal monitor's lvds cable might help, but it might also not change anything

Gotcha. Thanks dawg.
Running the command on /media now
You've been a tremendous help man, thank you so much.

how can I stop my windows 7 desktop from suspending? or hybernating? whatever it is called when the whole system stops after inactivity period and the fans stop spinning and it locks
also what happen to callisto
thanks

np, also, i might have understated the importance of using a log file
by default it logs to stderr, aka, your terminal, which typically has limited scrollback and search functionality
this is only really good for reviewing a small handful of files, unless you tell clamav to only output filenames with viruses in them (might not be a bad idea since you probably only care about seeing problem files
--infected -i Only print infected files
--suppress-ok-results -o Skip printing OK files
i'd at least recommend "-o", since you likely don't care to know what files are good

control panel -> system and security (in category view only) -> power options -> change plan settings (on the selected one) -> set "put the computer to sleep" to never & save changes

What video download addon should I use with firefox? What image hover addon?

Thank you very much user.

probably a fan

What libraries / stack would I use for synching lists between mobile devices and a server ?

I keep getting problems on this site but only with one computer why

Yeah I ran the command with -i and --bell so I could see what was infected and get notified when it found something.

So for some reason the windows disk defragmenter won't open, as in when I click on the .exe nothing happens. It pops up in task manager for a second then stops. Other programs like defraggler respond, but why won't the windows one?

I know absolutely nothing about macbooks, a friends asked if I could recover data from a 2016 macbook 12". It has a fried mobo but a working hdd. Do I need to do something differently than if I was dealing with a windows based laptop? Will the mac hdd be recognized by a windows pc if I plug it in? What about filesystems?

How the fuck do you make transparent webms?

You can always make a Linux USB and copy the contents to your windows HDD, and then you will be able to read those files.

soo, I have a hdd with 250gb main os is win10 but i want to install linux besides win10. now, my problem is that if i want to shrink the windows partition, at a certain the partition cannot be made smaller because of unmovable files. what can I do to get a linux partition larger than 25gb?

Sup Forums is utter shit since halloween
gookmoot probly got rid of servers

How to hide fingerprinting on firefox
Looking at privacytools.io I look for privacy.resistfingerprinting and it doesn't show in my config

If I pay for something with my visa debit card but by using a paypal account, will it show up as a paypal transaction on my chase account or would it be something like amazon?

paypal, since they are processing the transaction

It will say Paypal Amazon

Is this laptop decent enough for vidya?
amazon.ca/Acer-Aspire-i5-7200U-Windows-E5-575-54QD/dp/B075SXQN1X/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509820926&sr=1-5&keywords=laptop

Trying to install v4l2loopback on Arch.
Building v4l2-loopback driver...
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/home/ds/Downloads/v4l2loopback modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.13.9-1-ARCH/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:43: v4l2loopback.ko] Error 2

A folder I DO have is /lib/modules/4.13.11-1-ARCH/build/, but I don't know how I should specify that in the PKGBUILD. Any hints?

Hah! I am a fool, never mind. I just manually edited the makefile from the repository to use the directory, not the PKGBUILD. Although it does raise the question why it differs from uname -r, which was how the Makefile determineds it anyway.

So linux will read a mac hdd? I'll just boot into ubuntu on my pc then and do the entire recovery using it.

Just ordered a Kensington trackball, did I cancel it or not? It will be my first trackball and I am kinda nervous in throwing my money in shit I could regret a lot

It's integrated graphics but it should play simple games fine, the screen is horrible though don't buy 1366x768

You've updated then kernel without rebooting.
You're running 4.13.9 but updated to 4.13.11 which is why you have the modules folder

I want to connect my c++ code to my c# program, I'm on win10
what would be the best (most elegant, most efficient) method to pass c++ data to c#?
C++/CLI
C++ Interop (Implicit PInvoke)
C++ Interop
C++ COM Interop

read more stuff about it and got confused hard

bcc32 -W SimInject.cc
SimInject.exe

I need a basic laptop for dev

Will this work?

ebay.com/itm/263294314953

Scan returned 0 infected files, means I should be good to go right?
Pretty sure my mouse moving was a glitch or something cuz it wasn't moving normally, just sorta hopping. Doesn't hurt to scan though

Thanks again for your help.

Make sure to slap an SSD in it and preferably install a Linux Distro

what's the best way to physically store a box for potentially long term?
was considering ESD shrink wrap but I don't really want to drop $100 on a roll of it for a single computer if I can help it

Is it safe to eat something that my cat licked already? Can you catch diseases from cats even? I don't think my cat is sick but I am cautious.

What version you runnin?

Wrap it in a garbage bag.

That's what I did when I shipped my PC, then left it sitting my closet for ~6 months. Everyone's afraid of EDS, it's never happened to me.

Is it any more dangerous to use ThePirateBay without a VPN than other public trackers?