/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for the weak:
youtube.com/watch?v=37qjzdWr9nY

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wOUtMH6g9UI
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gruen-25-Jewel-Automatic-Mens-Watch-Stainless-Steel-Date-Runs-REPAIR/332421915253?hash=item4d65e3e275:g:-S8AAOSwyYFZ7QnZ
watchesnsuch.net/the_story_of_roger_w_riehl_and_the_synchronar.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I once had a watch
it broke

oh look at me i am a huge faggot and i like watches

everyone pay attention to me

let's buy innacurate mechanical watches that don't even have a perpetual calendar because we suck dick

look at us

Love you too baby.

I love cock, I am a gayfag, you know, a gay homosexual. Like Freddie Mucury

Should I buy a Seiko 007j ?

is this nice?

Is this watch running properly?
It looks good from the graph but it doesn't keep time all that well..

Are JDM Seiko Spirits good watches? Never heard/ hard to find info on them.

what is this and hwy cant you fucks figure out how to post images from your phones.

MUH DICK

yes

i think it looks interesting

no

Spirit is a generic line that contains lots and lots of watches, from my 5s21 to the scve003 to wt's beloved sarbs.

It's an exhibition room for the tower clock at the Santa Barbara courthouse, which uses a double three-legged gravity escapement. Sup Forums strips exif orientation information off pictures so they come up sideways.

Mine never do?

>double three-legged gravity escapement
neat

I have an automatic watch (with handwind and hacking, if it helps) that doesn't keep the greatest time. I have heard that handwound watches generally keep better time. Would removing the winding rotor have any chance of improving accuracy?

Can we make /wt/ a shitter free zone?

No and auto watches are not built to be wound daily like hand-wind watches.

You could start by deleting your post and removing a shitter from the thread.

you forgot
>t. nigger

No definitely not. What watch movement, and what kind of time?

so how are mvmt watches?

Uninspired design and over priced for what you get.

They're pretty bad.

why?

what alternatives are there? they seem much cheaper than most popular brands

They are more expensive then popular brands for the same thing. The only thing mvmt do well is marketing.
I can't remember if this is a guy that explains it that well but its the only video I can see I have watched if I search mvmt youtu.be/wOUtMH6g9UI

What are you wearing today, /wt/?

Wanting to get a vintage watch and this Gruen Precision automatic speaks to me the most so far. It has a broken stem though and apparently needs a service since it won't stay running. How bad does /wt/ think that repair would be? Like absolutely do not fuck with? Or just not economically repairable (which would be fine with me up to a point)?

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gruen-25-Jewel-Automatic-Mens-Watch-Stainless-Steel-Date-Runs-REPAIR/332421915253?hash=item4d65e3e275:g:-S8AAOSwyYFZ7QnZ

I understand Grand Seiko quartz is accurate to +/- 1 second per year, but what is the accuracy of a current production quartz Seiko (in the $100-200 range)? Does anyone have any experience?
Also is there any smooth sweeping quartz that is not Bulova (looks) and not Seiko Springdrive (price)?

Depends where you live, who your watch maker is, and what in totality is wrong, but you could be out a couple hundred dollars easy.

How open are you to buying your own tools (moderately cheap) and teaching yourself a trade (cost of labor depends on how much you make per hour and how much your "free time" is valued to you)?

GS Quartz 9F movement is rated to 10spy (5spy in some limited editions). Non-TC quartz should be good to maybe 20spm, but may vary. The cheapest modern TC quartz on the market is the Seiko Dolce at 10spy (8J series movement I believe). Morgenwerk and Hoptroff have watches they advertise at 1spy, but they rely on GPS/phone sync to "train" and "recalibrate" the quartz digital TC counter and there's a lot of skepticism in the HAQ community about them.

WATCHES ARE GAY

FAGGOTS WEARING JEWELERY

Forgot to mention the Citizen Chronomaster, rated 5spy.

Non-Spring Drive, non-Bulova precisionist smooth sweep quartz-regulated watches include Seiko 5S21/5S42 (quartz, stepper motor at 4Hz, dampening liquid and spring), Bulova Accuquartz 224x (Tuning fork movement identical to Bulova Accutron 218 but where a quartz circuit drives the tuning fork rather than allowing it to oscillate at its natural frequency), Luch 3055 (4Hz second hand - not sure if that counts for you - with a traditional balance wheel/hairspring/swiss lever where the balance wheel frequency is driven by a quartz circuit), Swiss Beta 21 watches (like the Omega Electroquartz - reed motor running at 256Hz driven by an 8Khz quartz).

Probably your best bet is an accuquartz 224 - they are common enough and not too expensive. 5s21 probably next best bet, but somewhat harder to get a hold of.

You could go luch 3055 - under 100 from a reputable eBay seller - but they're pretty ugly.

I've never owned a diver or mechanical watch.
Does the Invicta 8926OB go on sale during black friday?
I know the hate it gets but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on an SKX or something just to realize I'm not really into watches. Currently wear a casio bin laden.
It seems to have the same seiko movement that's in their more expensive divers, main reason why I'm interested.

Picked up this Tudor trench/pillow(?) watch from what I'm guessing to be the 1930's recently for a pretty decent price. Never seen such a smol mens watch before. Thinking of swapping it from its period-accurate strap to a NATO sooner or later, because my bitch-wrists are too small for the current one.

I will answer your question by telling you about a dream I once actually had. I dreamed that I ran into an Invicta salesperson at a watch convention. He had the invicta logo on his hat (2x), glasses (3x), tie (2x), tie pin (1x), belt (1x), shoes (2x), cufflinks (2x), ring (1x), and business card (6x)

Orient Ray Raven II not exactly a masterpiece but a decent budget one.

Just buy a mako

looks nice

I need cock inside me

should I buy a Steinheart?

im a grill btw

^_^

Is this too small for a guy?

>excuse me, what time is it?
>time I came out of the closet

I wouldn't buy it for the looks, just a cheap watch with the diving bezel and a nice ( i think??) movement.
I mainly just want to see if I can deal with adjusting the time every other day, if I'll actually have any use for the bezel, maybe try my hand at regulating it if the watch isn't accurate enough etc.
If I can get it for less than the 80 bucks it's up for on amazon would it be a good deal for that?
Do those things ever go on sale?

I don't mind it at all but it kind of small for current fashion.

This is my girlfriends watch what the fuck is wrong with this place

Oh, that'd be fine. Several hundred otoh would be enough to look elsewhere

Already thinking about that anyway. Cars, computers, and guns are getting way too expensive. The watch bug has only bit in the last few months though. I wouldn't pick on the Gruen to start with but would get some others to practice on first.

Dude get a Turtle(SRP775/777) they can be attained brand new for like $200. Don't get a shitty movement, or at this stage you may never like watches (as child a little chinkshit automatic really sparked an interest, but I doubt it would have had a similar effect in my 20's due to its inherent flaws making it unreliable). The Turtle packs more water resistance than you'll ever need, most accuracy you can possibly get from mechanical at any price point, hacking, handwinding, and a convenient timing bezel.

not if you like bottoming

> most accuracy you can possibly get from mechanical at any price point
?

is this a new meme or something

Yeah mine is like +/- 2 seconds a day, what watch is better that is fully mechanical?

The turtle is almost 300 bucks on amazon, where the invicta is $80 now and It seems that they fall to $40 on black friday.
I don't know if I even like watches to spend that much, and don't they use the same movement?
I've read the seiko movements are generally accurate but outliers exist, I would be interested in trying to regulate it.
There's no way I would open up a $300 watch

>what watch is better that is fully mechanical?

are you joking or being ironic?

literally any 10 dollar casio has better accuracy than any mechanical and comes with a perpetual calendar

If your turtle is +/- 2spd in six positions and at full and half wind you have gotten astoundingly lucky.

Rolex is where I would typically give the bid for most accurate mechanical, as their production watches are actually rated 2spd I believe.

My 45ks runs 2spd or better in six positions and full and half wind but I consider it luck that it does.

You misread; try it again.

oh i thought you said "than" rather than "that" oh well

I put my Rolex Submariner (SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER) in my ass for an hour and now it's 8 seconds slow

what do?

OUCH, a master chronometer would have been fine.

can /wt/ identify this watch?

Where my Poljot/Luch bros at?

I am not sure, but I had that in my ass for a prolonged time somewhere in the 60s

Flip it around to another position and shove it back in.

Still wearing this but didn't have a chance to take a new picture.

You got lucky
>better that is fully mechanical
For starters every new Rolex watch is at least +/- 2s/day so every new Rolex is at least as good if not better.

>My 45ks runs 2spd or better in six positions and full and half wind but I consider it luck that it does.
I think you are underselling how much of a role the level of factory adjustment plays into that. There are too many reports of Daini produced King Seikos and Grand Seikos of that period showing exceptional ratekeeping for it to just be luck.

I want you deep inside me

I guess. But for example my 52KS is like an 11 second total delta across 6 positions and full/half wind.

This might be beyond the expertise of this thread, but I've got an old Synchronar 2100 MKIII (the first solar watch ever made) and I'm trying to track down a replacement SASM80 module for it. The forum threads I've found about it are 5+ years old, and a company that used to make replacement modules for it has discontinued them. I'd really appreciate any help in getting this thing back into working order, it's way too cool to let it sit around and gather dust.

another pic showing the solar panel

and one more showing the display (not working, obviously)

>Buying Invicta
>ever

Reminder to be rational with your watch choises.
A watch should cost your days wage MAX

Can't help, but very cool. What's the history of this watch? Who's synchronar/RTC?

What are the odds of finding another one and salvaging parts? Could you explain what the module does? Is the module broken, or missing?

what is that? tisell?

I can't believe someone would pay top dollar for one of those. I mean, grand seiko is boring, but this is just a fucking glitter watch

Lots of good information here:
watchesnsuch.net/the_story_of_roger_w_riehl_and_the_synchronar.html

Finding another one isn't an issue, but finding a working one would be. Then there's the issue of price. Non-working units go for several hundreds of dollars, I can't even imagine how one with a functional module would be.
The module is a self-contained unit that has the solar panel, display, battery, all of the electronics inside of it. This is what I'm looking to replace. The original modules were filled and sealed with a gel that hardened and made the watch practically indestructible. Copying from the manual, they were guaranteed to survive: 24 hours submerged in saltwater at 60 C at 355 psi, 100 hours of direct salt spray, 1000 drops from 1 foot onto a marble slab, storage at -40 C for 100 hours, and 100,000 feet elevation for 100 hours.
Unfortunately, this watch is 40 years old this year, and somewhere along the way it kicked the bucket. Likely causes include either battery leakage, the gel de-constituted and ruined the internals, or a combination of both.

Oops, I just bought a watch for twice my daily wage. First one, though.

>should buy Vostok

what new meme is this?

I see... that is rough. I was wondering if it might be possible to find one that had a working module but was broken in some other way. This seems like the kind of thing that would pop up at a garage sale or something. Depending on what the module was, I thought repair might be an option, but that seems unlikely. Good luck man, based on that info it is way outside my area expertise.

Thanks, interesting read. Good luck user.

Ball seems like such a shitter brand, but the Skindiver II is so sexy to me

Someone pls channel their inner Archie and talk me out of it

>That second hand tail
>That date window
> No tritium on bezel
> ETA 2824
> 43mmx14mm
> $2800
Ball, like almost all tritium, charges a fortune for basic movements because they're the only game in town. You're paying about $400 for a basic 2824 in a mediocre case and $2400 for the tritium (even though the bezel, the iconic part of a dive watch, doesn't have tritium, the iconic part of a Ball watch)

Yep, that is correct. It is the 43mm version.

Generally they rate those around 15 + or - per month

>Not using after tax income per week as the metric for sensible spending
What are you, some kind of pleb who lives paycheck to paycheck?

W

what strap should i get?

Strapcode oyster or a black nato.

thanks user