Can anyone recommend php learning materials? The Current Stable PHP 7.1.11 version...

Can anyone recommend php learning materials? The Current Stable PHP 7.1.11 version. I don't want to waste time learning to type outdated broken code.

Other urls found in this thread:

udemy.com/make-a-social-media-website/
udemy.com/php-for-complete-beginners-includes-msql-object-oriented/
eev
laracasts.com/
slack.engineering/taking-php-seriously-cf7a60065329
phpsadness.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> Learning deprecated language

NodeJS is the future, friend.

>63219741
> Learning deprecated language
Kotlin is the future, friend.

>I don't want to waste time learning to type outdated broken code.
good luck finding a PHP job

If it was necessary for a job I would of course, but I meant I'm looking for a place to learn the most up to date php.

Why do you want to learn PHP? It's a dead-end.

I want to do backend and the only alternative that I know of is node.js

>I don't want to waste time learning to type outdated broken code.
Then avoid PHP altogether.

>t. NEET

I’m drowning in six figure php job offers.

then why do all of my web apps use php?

Just do php. It works perfectly well, and there are plenty of jobs. I wrote a stateless rest api in my spare time that is literally faster than the java microservice that we use at autotrader.

Learn Python.

Trying to decide between these two
udemy.com/make-a-social-media-website/
udemy.com/php-for-complete-beginners-includes-msql-object-oriented/

>Can anyone recommend php learning materials
No, I would not recommend them.

Can’t argue with those digits.

Inertia, PHP was good for a time and a lot of websites popped up during that period. People who don't want to learn new things are still using PHP. I used to make good money with PHP, and defend it online.

But there's much better things now, it's indefensible to choose PHP unless you don't know better.

Since I'm not shitposting and actually trying to help, here's a good rundown on why PHP is so bad: eev . ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

Yes that article is old, but PHP is still, and will always be, a fundamentally broken language. You can code good stuff in it, yes, but that goes for any language. Why would you choose a bad tool when there are better tools available?

What's a better alternative for backend webdev and can get me a job?

then just use node, bro.

what the fuck are you doing?

why are you still undecided? everyone is recommending node here, myself included (this is my first post in the thread). you will write less code, better backends and still be employable. don't listen to people shitting on it, those are the old dinosaurs who still haven't caught up with the times.

golang is the future

We use PHP mostly because 'Legacy' web apps from the earlyish 2000's use PHP and WordPress.

But for new web apps we use rails.

I prefer node but at least ruby isn't fundamentally broken, and it's expressive.

Anyone here use Slack? Ever wonder why it's a buggy PoS that seems to get worse every release? Because it's built using PHP.

laracasts.com/

Everyone uses Laravel, so learn it.

Everything about your post is wrong.

I can tell you are a Junior dev at best.

Fucking NO ONE uses Rails anymore and it's as good as dead.

Node (JS). Python. Ruby. Any popular language that's not fundamentally busted like PHP will make you employable without teaching you bad habits.

For code that's further backend than the API, a host of other languages become available, like Java, Scala, Elixir, Go, C#, and even C++ (my company uses all of those depending on the service).

PHP attracts bad developers who randomly stumble into it and so will always be a shitheap of a language.

Explain how I'm wrong. Slack is a buggy PoS (extended downtime just this week).

Node is a solid choice for a web backend. Ruby is fine too.

If PHP has since been rewritten from the ground up, feel free to correct me. I haven't read anything about PHP in years, life is too short.

Slack engineer detected.

slack.engineering/taking-php-seriously-cf7a60065329

Architect here: PHP is still the 800lb gorilla of the web.

Web development has changed a lot in the last 5 years and server side languages are mostly used for API endpoints and the rest is handled by a Javascript SPA framework like React or Vue.

Node is the current cool kid because of it's non-blocking nature and the fact you are going to use Javascript on the client side as well. The big dogs for API development are as follows: PHP, .NET, Java, Node.

You would be completely wasting your time learning another backend language for web development.

This of course is until web assembly can finally interact direct with the DOM and turn all of this on it's head. Then we are right back where we started and you can pick whatever language you want. Currently Rust is in the lead here...

That blog post is so old it's a disservice to your argument nowadays.

Maybe you have a better one? It's not like PHP was shit for 10 years and then suddenly became good with no serious open-source community support or major company backing. Even Facebook was like "fuck this shit" and basically wrote their own safe version of PHP from the ground up.

Summary of the article: "PHP is good because it's so bad that the entire runtime has to be thrown away and rebuilt with every request."

>major company backing
Are you forgetting about Zend? Also Facebook did make HHVM.
Check the list in phpsadness.com/ a good bunch of the worst ones have already been dealt with, and there's lots of software built on PHP that will keep running for a long time.

Look, I used to defend PHP online. I was a staff-level PHP developer 5 years ago at a company that was acquired for multiple $billions. I made a LOT of money from PHP. But I've moved on.

There's a lot of great languages and runtimes now, and PHP just doesn't stack up against them. Like, holy shit are the new languages I'm using SO much better than the PHP I used to code in. The best talent is leaving it for greener pastures and new talent isn't learning it at all.

>he works at a company where they use terms like 'junior dev'
major lul

Forgot to add, I agree a lot of websites will be running PHP for a long time. Cobol ran for a long time too, that's not a reason to pick it up.