coded in C++ in highschool

> coded in C++ in highschool
> loved it, got 99% and 100% in my two CS classes
> parents convinced me computer science is a shitty profession where all the jobs can get outsourced to china so ill never have a stable career and ill be obsolete by 30 anyways
> spend 4 years doing a meh degree in biomedical science
> career options are med school, which I dont want to do, or working a shitty science career and getting an average salary

Am I too late to go back and do a CS degree? It would take 3 years from today and then I'd be 23 graduating and looking for work. Is that too late of a start? How heavily will a late start cripple my ability to strive in this career? Keep in mind my aspirations are being as successful as possible and working at a large Silicon Valley company like Google or Facebook, not working some shitty IT job for a

Not technology.

>working as a mindless corporate wageslave codemonkey
>successful
Start your own business.

Wow, I'd love to see her tits.

Nigger you are 20 years old, you are still a baby

Go study whatever the fuck you want

Who is she?

23 is not a late start, you'll be fine. Might want to consider entering industry as an associate programmer or sdet and learn on the job/at nights since college costs money and if you have aptitude you should be able to make 120k after 3 years at a job

>biomed
>average salary

Tfw you'll never date a cutie like her :(

No tits sadly but I've got more pictures of her

I've always wanted to start my own business but I'm not self-motivated enough. I do really well when other people assign me deadlines but otherwise I'm lazy as hell. So my goal for life is just making a salary of over $200K, but realistically I'd be happy if I could get $150K.

Actually 21, I meant to say I'll be 24 when I graduate.
I know 3 years doesn't seem like long, but I figure 20-30 is when tech companies see you as the new generation of coders and they love to hire you for your innovation/ability to keep up with the latest tech. So starting at 24 instead of 20 almost cuts my time in the golden years in half.

Not too late. Or for a cheaper alternative, since you seem to be smart, get into the field without a degree. I don't have any degree, and make a decent living working as a developer for one of the big names.

Wow, she's the kind of girl that I hope I'd find after moving out to the Midwest and purchasing cheap property to live on so I'd never have to pay rent and pay like $100 a year in taxes.

Please. Post. More.

they teach computer science in high school now?

I actually managed to get a part time job coding for my school's IT department this year, in my final year of my current degree. It's a shitty $16/hour gig but its nice for the resume.
I applied for tons of internships for this Summer and didn't even get an interview with any of them. I got one interview through a recommendation by a friend and the interviewer was instantly turned off when I mentioned my degree wasn't in comp sci.
I know I could get an okay job without a degree, but I feel like it would cripple me my entire career, and since I have the finances for it I think the better option for me would be getting a degree, if I decide to go down this road. (College is a lot cheaper in Canada)

Medicine is great but any other career in biomed is average. If you get a biomed degree but don't go to med school it isn't worth much.

oops, forgot my attachment

Its not too late. Im in no Sup Forums related career but when I started university I went with graphic design, my family was a bit worried because they thought it would be a hippie oriented career. One of my friends who started at the same time as me was 23 (previously spent 4 years on industrial engineer) and he had the same dilema as you OP, nonetheless he just went with it..now 6 years later we both have great jobs on our field. He works with a big advertising agency and so do I.

Is there anyway I can get in contact with her? Or at least so I can move there and become friends myself?

She was my oneitis in elementary school and now I just stalk her on instagram from time to time. Haven't talked to her in over a decade tho. My happy place I used to think about when I was scared was my wedding day with her.

Thanks. Helps to hear success stories like this.

even with 24 you're still a baby. My cousin started studying medicine with 24 and lives a good life now.

>spend 4 years doing a meh degree in biomedical science
Was that your idea or your parents idea?
Devoting your life to cutting-edge drugs to keep 90 year old human husks alive just long enough to squeeze the next medicare payment from Uncle Sam... what kind of career is that?

Got any more pics?

Medicine is very different than tech tho

Medicine is one of those long-term investment careers, where your value increases and increases the longer you've spent in the field. Nobody wants a young inexperienced doctor to do their open heart surgery, they want someone whose performed the surgery 300 times. A late start isn't a big deal when 'being young' isn't something that's valued. Hell, I know people who have started medicine at age 30 once they already had kids and are now successful doctors.

Meanwhile, starting tech late scares me because its something where being young is highly valued. Your value is at its peak when you're new in the industry and able to work fast and learn quickly and put in long hours to keep up with an ever-evolving field. That's why starting late feels like I'm going to missing out on the highly valued years that all my peers will have gotten to experience and push their careers forward with.

this is not the advice board. kys

if you need Sup Forums to tell you what to do/work you up to get out and study something, this ship has already sailed. your apparent lack of motivation suggests you just don't have the rocks to do what you claim you want to. if you really wanted it, wouldn't you be out chasing it?

Mainly my parents idea, but also my fault for being too immature to give dedicated thought to what kind of future I want.

you remind me of a friend of mine who went to biochemistry and was telling to me totally unironically that why the fuck does she have to learn coding in python cause she went to chemistry not coding and python is shit.

never thought of the opposite situation, thank you for existing, lol.

well, have you tried applying for jobs or internships? you could detail your situation

some business care only for you to have a bachelor degree in something, doesn't matter what, but university diploma is company policy

Look around, dude. Your parents are probably using their smartphones at this very moment. Everyone is doing the same. Cars gave computers, libraries are becoming virtual places, VR is stronger than ever. CS is the future and the future is now.

self teach yourself programming and leverage your technical degree as an in for getting a software engineering job anyways

if you actually go back to school you're a retard

She drinks? Fuck, I don't like her anymore... My dream of moving out Midwest is ruined. :(

Won't really hurt your chances. I took an extra semester of high school which put me back a year, and then did co-op which added a year to my university degree. Graduated at 23 and landed in a career, it's going great so far. I know a guy who did music first and then did comp sci, I think he graduated at 27 and is working for facebook now, he loves it. It's never too late to do what you want.

I had a distant relative that got an engineering degree, and 5 years into his career decided he didn't like it, so he went to med school and became a doctor.

It would take 3 years? Why? I have a linguistics degree and I'm graduating in one year with a CS degree (includes summer and winter).

yeah, I applied for ~30 summer internships and got all rejections. I'm learning to code in my free time with HackerRank challenges and my part-time job. I think I'll definitely bite the bullet and go to school if I keep going with this path tho, it seems fairly valued as a document even if the knowledge gained is trivial.

I mean I need to finish the final year of the degree I'm currently in, switching to a new degree in the last half year of this degree seems like kind of a waste.

Thanks for the advice, all. Nice to hear input from people who I'm assuming are mostly in the field.

It's actually 8 months to finish my current degree + 2 years for the CS degree.
Technically I could shorten that by just fucking off my current degree starting next term, but I feel like
6 years and 2 degrees > 5.5 years and 1 degree

Cool to know he's doing well at 27. That's double the set-back time I'd be looking at. Thanks.

Yeah, she's definitely a party girl. Sorry user :(

My friend is actually doing the same. Did psychology despite being Asian (you would think they would make better parents-screaming-about-major-influenced decisions) and is now spending an extra year and a half to do a CS degree (so 5.5 total).

Also I'm 25, will graduate when I'm 26 and enter the workforce the same year. I'm not at all worried about being "too old" lol. I had exactly your perspective when I was your age though. The day I turned 25 I realized everyone was more or less the same and that my "golden years" would never fade because I'm make them golden

That's some ass

>The day I turned 25 I realized everyone was more or less the same and that my "golden years" would never fade because I'm make them golden
This is pretty motivating. Thanks

On a separate note, I have no idea how everyone is saying an extra degree took them 1-1.5 years. I have a CS minor which is the only reason I'll be able to finish a CS degree in 2 years instead of 3.
The equivalent of one year is electives so that gets knocked off.
But there's 3 years of CS-specific courses to fill which I've filled 1 year of from my minor.
How are you wizards doing it in less than that, presumably without a minor in the subject already?

Look for Bioinformatics jobs.
It's like a programmer who knows bio stuff.

You probably go to an actual school. I only need 41 credits for a BA in CS. A comparable school wants 90 credits for a BS.

I just transferred to a much larger and prestigious university and I’m flunking my first Java CS course. What makes it worse is that I passed introductory programming at my old uni with an A+. I don’t really know why I’m so shit now but I’m so stressed because of it. I just suck at it. I’m a junior and I have to do programming now

>midwest
>not fat
you're fucking delusional.

You know there's no real limit to the number of credit hours you can take in a semester, right?

Please stop posting pics of her. Her image is ruined to me.

At my school the limit is 7 courses
Also, prerequisites will be limiting me further than that. The schedule is pretty prescribed.

I'm 30 and dropped out of cs 10 years ago. I work shit retail jobs since and every time I think about picking programming/it back up I get depressed because my age makes me constantly second guess myself because of how cut throat the tech industry is.

I should kys (myself).

>At my school the limit is 7 courses
No it isn't
You just haven't figured out how to negotiate with the registrar yet

>Also, prerequisites
See

You're not fucked. Actually, you're in a uniquely useful position. Take your biomedical science degree, then get a masters in computer science, with a focus on bioinformatics. You'll be golden.

Big data in the biosciences is a huge field in need right now. Take advantage of what you've already done, go and do your CS thing, and market yourself in that area. Maybe grab an MSIS too if you wanna spend the extra two years getting a masters.

Stop posting pics of her! She was mine and pure... But she is ruined!!!

>tfw still cant figure out how to code

It just doesn't make sense. I dont understand why I'm so bad at it.

30 years of age is not old retard. people are changing careers or taking entire new paths in life when they're 60. tech is going to get more cut throat, but your job is going to disappear entirely. at least with tech you can actually go somewhere if you push yourself and learn

You're either bad at math or bad at natural languages or both

the only thing that has got me to start learning is it being a part of my degree. I'm just one of those people who is only motivated by someone else.

I graduated at 23, and I got a job immediately. But that was because I had experience by the time I graduated.

but it's so hard and discouraging because every time I want to make a start I see more successful people around me. I look around I younger kids who are more talented, peers my age who are more experienced, more qualified and very firmly established careers. meanwhile, I am 30, will have to juggle studying, working and finding gf, all while trying to not to become homeless.

very sad!

Why not computational biology? I work in the field and it's pretty fun using programming to run simulations of proteins. You could also go the bioinformatics or even data science route with a masters.

>my aspirations are being as successful as possible and working at a large Silicon Valley company like Google or Facebook
Oh, so you're one of "those". If your only aspirations are to work at some name brand company, then you should kill yourself faggot.

Just build a portfolio, and apply to companies. A BS in something unrelated is fine.

It's really not true, I see plenty of veterans at work.

My school is a hardass.
I spent two weeks talking to profs, the registrars office, the dean, academic office, etc, trying to sign up for a course that I needed to finish my minor which I didnt have a prereq for.

Finally I had to take it at another school because my school refused to let me. And the prereq was a fucking stupid course that I already knew everything in.

cvbcvb

I told you to stop :((( why

I'm not bad at math or natural languages though. I'm the only one in the program taking more math classes and enjoying them while everyone else does software engineering
I'm a CS major
I'm just so fucking ass at it man

>Medicine is one of those long-term investment careers, where your value increases and increases the longer you've spent in the field.
That's kind of true for every field, especially software development. People who have been in this field for 10+ years are making bank even with outdated skills. Business and HR types tend to trust people with experience, don't you know.

shut the fuck up and get out there

sometimes I feel like just ending my life because I feel like I can never "catch up". I'm too old, wasted too much time, squandered too many opportunities.

No one wants to hire a 30 year old intern. No women wants to date a 30 year old fresh men, not even single mothers! It's over, it's too late. I have lived more of my life with regret than hope. sad!

its fucking over for me

A) Do nothing, continue to squander opportunities , live with ever-increasing regret as every second ticks by

B) Start now, make use of opportunities, live with no more than the same amount of regret you have now. Regardless of where you "could have been by now", this path will put you in your best position from this point onwards.

Easy choice retard

>Regardless of where you "could have been by now",

But I will always have to live with this. Always. Even after I fix myself I will still be asking myself what if I had done this 10 years ago. And so I will never find closure so it's easier not to live at all.

>I don't have any degree, and make a decent living working as a developer for one of the big names.

How'd you manage that, just showed off your portfolio? Most developer jobs want at least a Bachelor's degree.

Dude you're 20 years old. Talk to me when you're 30 and have kids. You have all the time in the world.

My advice is that if you truly love compsci then go for it BUT have a plan B.

There are tons of jobs you can get that only require a simple online test. You don't have to waste away at a university if you just want some quick cash to maintain yourself.

I'm looking into becoming a customs broker. Bullshit paperwork job that pays 60K just to start. Take some dumbass test. Application takes a year and you've got a steady job.

Definitely get at least a bachelor's in CS because every job out there requires it.

Also take online courses at places like codeacademy, lynda, etc. University will teach theory but not relevant technologies.

Make sure you have a flashy website for HR normies to see and a good portfolio with at least 3 non trivial projects.

Do this and you'll be ok

This isn't /adv/ you absolute fucking faggot.

This.

>Talk to me when you're 30 and have kids.
Why do normies talk like having kids is this inevitable thing? I know you didn't mean it like that, but there are a lot of people in my life who are still deluded or myopic enough to talk about me having kids.

Kids don't just happen. They all know I've been single for 10 years, haven't even dated. It's not happening. But still I hear, "oh you'll understand when you have kids"

No bitch, I won't!

If you don't have a family to support, and you have some social safety net and family to help you, you basically can fuck off for an unlimited amount of time. Go back to school when you're 30? Sure. Why not? You have no responsibilities.

It's true.

When you have kids, you're essentially declaring your personal life over and your life becomes all about your kids. It's not necessarily a bad thing as lots of people feel like they could never be fulfilled without kids. It's clearly built into our genome to want to have our genetic material carried on in the form of kids.

That being said, not having kids is also an amazing option. You essentially get to double your personal life time and you get to do and experience way more things that anyone with kids could in regular circumstances. Plus you have way more cash than if you had kids to support.

This is pretty much my plan for the next two years to break into the industry if I go for this route.

> apply for Waterloo CS this Winter (one of the top comp sci schools in Canada)
> desperately apply for CS internships for this Summer (nearing the end of the app cycle so not looking good :( )
> finish my current degree
> summer = CS internship if I can, otherwise ill work a lab job and code in my free time
> do 2 years of waterloo CS to get a degree while doing Co-op internships in the Summer
> work on Hackerrank/Codeacademy/building skills as a coder and developing a portfolio over the next 3 years during school and work

Thanks for the input

there are also people who have it all. the chad father who bullied me is probably a great father with a great job and a model wife. that's the competition, that's your boss and that;s the example that society wants us to live by.

Study actuary, will code and learn statistic plus legal, actuary couldn't get outsource or get another country workers, could get laboral life over 40, easy.

I started uni when I was 22. Fuck son, most people in my degree are in their 30s. You're fine.
(Geology if anyone was going to ask, it's full of tradies and people who got shitty at their previous degrees or jobs)

You understand that an overwhelming of majority of new businesses fail and put their owners in debt right?

not true at all

in fact most places dont give a fuck as long as you have solid principles and can get things done

Also that shows some ignorance into how the field works; the last job I worked they were paying COBOL developers 130k starting out of school because all the old devs retired

sounds like you have more serious problems with your confidence

eat well, exercise, attempt to socialize with more people

also its not a meme you actually do miss 100% of the shots you dont take

apply ur cs knowledge to biochem

You spent 4 years wasting your life, time and money doing something you ended up regretting. Now you want to waste 3 more years of your life doing something you have no idea whether you will actually enjoy doing it for a long period of time.

Why on earth would anyone aspire to be a programmer? You essentially will be going to school to become a code monkey and forced to work on projects you may or may not be interested in at all. No one will ever be able to put a name to your work. You'll spend your days toiling away at code, sitting for long periods of time while your health declines.

What you should actually do, is find out what you truly enjoy doing, and do it better than anyone else. You shoudn't pursue something to be successful, success should be the side effect of doing your passion.

Congrats on having retarded parents. Any bio med science and biology in general and awful jobless degrees. What the fuck do your parents even do god damn are they stupid. Do webdev instead now learn to do it online

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but I didn't mean that I want to do CS to chase success. I got exposed to coding in high school and I know I love it, and I've been keeping up with it on the side as a hobby throughout my degree. Exactly what I want to do with comp sci is what you said, doing something I truly enjoy and doing it better than anyone else.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My mom is a stay-at-home mom who didn't really input much and just blindly agreed with my dad
My dad is an engineer who got exposed to coding once in University 40 years ago and decided permanently that coding is a useless skill that anyone can learn in five minutes. He told me this any time I expressed any interest in comp sci growing up so I grew up thinking that computer scientists were all poor and unemployed. It was a huge shock to me when all my CS friends were making $20K in the summers during their internships, and getting $80K jobs straight out of University.
Our relationship has taken a serious toll now that I have a CS part time job and I'm taking a CS minor. Every second conversation with him is him lecturing me about why he has a fucking vendetta against programmers.

What I would do then is think of an idea and find someone to work on it with you. Think of programming like building with bricks, the actual process of building isn't the enjoyable part, or why people do it, it's the end result that matters. So think of an actual idea/program/app you want to develop and learn the skills to do it.

How about bioinformatics?

Mask code as data analyst,bioinformatics.
Yes PhD CS just get good work for gigant tech, average code must change to marketing,mananger or sales.

name pls

I'm pretty meh about bioinformatics. There's not really an industry around it so its more of an academic/research thing. All the bioinformatics masters I looked at need a CS degree anyway,a bio background is actually less of a priority. Maybe I'm wrong tho. All I did was google some masters programs and I talked to the Dean of engineering at my school whose a bioinformatics PhD for about an hour. It's worth looking more into I suppose.

I dedicated an entire Summer to a project I wanted to make and intentionally didn't get a Summer job, and I ended up just sitting on my ass all Summer playing League of Legends and made roughly 0 progress on the project.
Meanwhile during school I have a 3.95GPA, I go to the gym 3-5 times a week, I volunteer with a science for kids program, I run tutoring sessions for multiple classes, and I have a part-time job.
I've learned that for me, I can be hypermotivated if someone else is pushing deadlines but not if I'm my own boss. So entrepreneurship in that sense is really not for me, which I'm okay with.

Is 30 too old to make a career as video game development? I wanted to do it 10 years ago but my mom talked me out of it, ended up hated engineering, dropped out and have done nothing with my life since.

Will I be able to keep up with all the young kids who have better skills and faster reflexes?

she has that 'girlfriend' quality, doesn't she?

Literally no age is too late to do anything. The creator of KFC franchise was like 70. Just do it.

>Keep in mind my aspirations are being as successful as possible and working at a large Silicon Valley company like Google or Facebook, not working some shitty IT job for a

how do I get into this? Im a college student

>less than $100k is automatically bad
>I WANT TO WORK AT GOOGLE!!!
>let his parents decide his major

man you really are misguided

Imagine the millions of 50 year old chefs and dads who dreamt of opening their own restaurants, only to be put out of business by kfc before they even got started.

but google has foosball tables and im a master at foosball so i wanna crush everyone

Stupid NEET, online affiliate marketing and investing in crypto don't count.

>"computer" "science" vs premed/labmonkey shit
my condolences user