/pcbg/ - Build a PC General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>Vega 56 if you're not bothered by a reference cooler; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ph4wRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/tnXWNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/3bxWNN
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbXdKZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8PPGr7
wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpus-8-working-cores-spotted-wild/
pcpartpicker.com/list/WF8s9W
youtube.com/watch?v=Ucjn6HCd2zI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doesn't the i5 8400 require expensive motherboards that aren't even released yet?

I just finished my build and can someone explain this?

Fuck Intel, their meme "release" of Coffee Lake has put the processors up in price significantly and because none are available, the Kaby Lake processors are still full price. What a load of shit.

fpwp

Ah, a CPU is his rest state, relaxing in his socket.

First time builder here. How does this look? Anything I should change?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ph4wRG

No and no.

Kaby Lake is overpriced
>Coffee Lake is overpriced and not available
Wow, if only there were another type of CPU you could easily get that's both available and cheap.

>Not Intel©Xeon™Platinum™ CPU
Start over

pcpartpicker.com/list/tnXWNN

R8 build for 1080p 144hz gaymen, $1300 budget.
>inb4 retarded lights
I know the lights and shit are retarded but I want them anyway.

And just out of curiosity how would this run 4k? I don't have a 4k monitor or really plan to buy one soon but it might come up, could I get 30+ FPS on high ish settings?

I am using the cheapest board i can find it i love my 8400. I laugh at those who wait for b360 when ram prices have increased so much you are waiting to pay more for less

>Six-Core Processor
>Cores: 8

oh goodie, a thread dedicated to the shitty one I just made. I just got to rebuild today and this thing won't boot. recent blackout fucked the hard drive and mobo, had to replace those, wait a few days, and now I'm here after wasting all day on it.

what do I do first, to avoid taking a hammer to it?

1050 Ti overclocking
Anyone here pull 2000 core / 2200 memory OC?
Mine runs like pic related, running furmark. 1050 Ti is inno3d single fan (no power pin)

pcpartpicker.com/list/3bxWNN

rate my first build? parts list and purchase based solely on info gathered from lurking here for a few weeks. i found an open box i5 8400 online at my nearest micro center and the rest is history - just bought all the other parts when i went to pick it up.
pros:
>price match through black friday/cyber monday
>multiple discounts for buying it all at once
>everything works
>no waiting for shipping
cons:
>skimped on mobo and gpu for muh budget
>fucking ram wasn't samsung b-die
>bought thermal paste that wasn't required
>shitty case with 4 stripped out standoffs

for the record, i just wanted to update my 10 year old gateway q6700 beater.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VbXdKZ

Rate my new 8700k build

Forgot case

What do you mean won't boot? Nothing happens when you press the power button or it sits there with a blank screen... or? Make sure all your power cables are plugged in, including CPU power

It's kinda meh.. Should have paid a little more for a 3GB 1060 since you bought a i5 8400. CPU is way overpowered compared to the graphics card as is

>i7-8700K
Unless you play your gaymes (assuming it's a gaymen pc at this point) at 1080p165Hz, i5-8400/R5-1600 is a better choice for the price
>AIO cooler
See above. If you need i7-8700K and 5GHz overclocking then yes, otherwise it's not needed
>NVMe SSD
just buy cheap sata ssd
>1000W psu
just no, 700W is far more than enough
>Buying windows 10
no
>Sound card
unless you're a music producer, it's not needed

Jezuz crust...
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8PPGr7

AMD made a mistake and forgot to disable 2 cores on a bunch of 1600's, so you basically got a 1700

wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpus-8-working-cores-spotted-wild/

That's great news. I lost the lottery with my Athlon II years ago but this more than makes up for it.

you dont need a sound card

Airflow questions. My case is Define R5, it comes with two fans (one forward intake, one rear exhaust). I wanted to add some more fans for when I'm eventually going to OC my 1700, because apparently that can make the B350 VRMs really hot - currently I have a Wraith Spire, which cools them somewhat, but it seems all the good CPU air coolers nowadays are towers, which don't do shit to cool the rest of the motherboard. Also my PSU currently sucks in air from the inside, but apparently this is not ideal and I should mount it upside down.

This is what I had in mind:

Questions:

1. I know that having more intake than exhaust is good, but I think I went a bit too far on intake. Maybe I can add some small (40mm?) fans on the back next to the various PCI card slots on the back? But I don't think I have mounting holes there and small fans are noisy. Maybe I should keep PSU sucking the air out of the case? It's a Platinum-rated Seasonic PSU so it shouldn't overheat too much by itself, it even has a silent mode.
2. Ive read the advice that the top fans should be exhaust, because hot air naturally rises, but I've also read that this is bullshit because the fan-induced overflow will overtake the convection anyway. I want the top fans to be intake for two reasons - cooling VRMs is my priority and if they're intake I can slap a dust filter on them and it will keep the case from getting dusty when the fans are off (which is most of the time) - it's not advisable to put a dust filter on exhaust fans, obviously. Am I wrong?

I think your RAM is in the wrong slots. At least with my MSI motherboard they had to be 2 and 4 (left to right).

my asus board is the same way, otherwise it runs in single channel

Not just that it came with a leaflet with a warning telling me to put a stick in dimm A2 first and only that one if I had any booting problems.

will it be volta based?

Anyone know anything about what GPUs work well on linux? Looking to build a deep learning box but don't want to get fucked by shitty drivers.

What happened to radeon packs?

do i really need a 1080ti to gayme at 1440p ultrawide

ps i usually have like 20 minecrafts open and they chew up vram like crazy my dual 290x setup isn't good enough anymore

give it to me straight doc. when are these gpu prices gonna come down

>tfw my 6 core only has 6 cores.

It might be a mix, like how the PS4 Pro and Xbone X are a mix of Polaris and Vega.

Its going on 5 months now right? Who knows

I doubt it, amd made the console chips as powerful APU's which are very custom, Nvidia would have no reason to make a hybrid of two generations for one card.

Vega 64 liquid or 64 air?

Is it time to upgrade?
I was planning on just buying some used 3770 to give my CPU more juice but... I don't know.
I feel like I should just get new mobo, new RAM and a Ryzen.
What would be a major upgrade in Ryzen from my current i5?

Minimum 1600 imo. What do you use your pc for

please respond

No, for a 1050Ti you have plenty of CPU. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to upgrade your CPU just for gaming. What you need to do is reseat the cooler with fresh thermal paste (and of course clean all the fuzz out of the radiator). As you can see from your speccy the temp is pretty high, so your CPU is probably throttling during gaming.

Whats this about 7XXX being defunct? Is it really that big of a performance jump to spend 300 dollars on motherboards?

I hate cables, could someone recommend me a good pair of bluetooth speakers that could be used as desktop pc speakers? or maybe speakers that don't have too much cables?

Thanks in advance.

>Whats this about 7XXX being defunct?
Not if you already own it, but you wouldn't buy it new, except at/with a steep discount.

Edit: Grammar

1600 or 8400 for gayman?

pls respond

Both are good.
8400 comes out more expensive but it's faster so eh.

You're telling me all these things are overkill, and i'd agree for someone else's build, but not mine. I'm on my PC every day, i'll use this for 5+ years. I don't mind spending an extra ~$500 to future proof it for an extra few years

As for the NZXT Kraken X62 it's gotten great reviews for an AIO, I might replace it for a custom loop in a year or two

May I ask what you don't like about M.2 drives, Corsair HX1000i, or the NZXT AIO cooler?

I had a sound card on my last PC, I dunno it sounded better I guess.

Prime95 keeps giving me hardware error, how do I know if it's the cpu or ram? I don't have any spares

What is the best 1080Ti for gaymen?

M.2 is overpriced and not necessary for gaming. Corsair AIO is cheaper and works well. Case is whatever.

Hi guys I am in the process of building a NAS and I got lucky and found 2 sticks of ECC RAM. At first I was planning on building something cheap, but now that I got the ram I want my CPU and Motherboard to be compatible to take advange of the ECC RAM.

Please help, I don't want to go overkill, I am gonna use this NAS to store files I don't use all the time, bittorrent, mediaserver, that kind of stuff.

I hope I am not asking for much, I am afraid that I might discover that ECC and cheap are not compatible. I didn't ask for this stick to fall in my hands. but now I must find whats the cheapest NAS I could buy with ECC RAM?

pcpartpicker.com/list/WF8s9W

Looking to see if this is a good ideal Gaming/Content Creation Setup. Got everything except GPU (cause its hard to find), Graphics Card (settling on 1060 and upgrading to whatever is new on the market later), and CPU Cooler.

Also looking for Monitor and CPU Cooler Recommendations cause I'm not sure if NZXT makes good quality coolers.

With everything you're spending on fans why not get a board that can handle overclocking better?

saw a thread with pic related a while back.

I'm wondering if anyone here has this case or really any caselabs case and if they are worth the price. All the reviews Ive read pretty much say its the best case you can buy but Id like a second opinion.

I'm think about picking one up

The most you should be paying for a 6GB 1060 is about $275
For Content Creation you should strongly consider the R5 1600
You definitely don't need a liquid cooler for a locked i5.

*thinking

Because I already bought the board because you guys told me B350 is enough if I don't need extra PCI lanes and two M.2 slots, which I did not. And well, a good airflow is good either way, right?

Hello, /pcbg/ I am researching building a 100% silent PC (that's my main goal) so far I have bought this Passive Cooler.

What would be the most capable CPU that has a TDP adequate for this baby?

I have an AMD Athlon 5350 with a TDP of 25W, but maybe there is something better out there?

8400 doesnt need more than a 30 dollar cooler MAX. Water for it is autism

How the fuck did you manage to spend 1600 with a 1060 and an 15

wtf nigga

Any raisin to consider a 1300x over an i3-8100?

Mobo cost I guess but aside from that?

the FUCK you say about water bitch!

Thank you, I'll look into that 1060 price more and thats great because I originally had it in there before I changed it from a i7-8700 to an i5-8400.

Is there any Monitor you'd recommend (specifically for gaming that is)?

Your build is as autism. I would make sense with a 8700k but not a 8400. No need for an 150 dollar cooler and a 200 dollar mobo.

Well its going to be less since now I don't even need a water cooler, I didnt get a Graphics card yet so that'll be less, and I didn't get my Power Supply in time when it was $80 (with a $20 MIR) so I have to wait for another slight price drop cause Im not paying $90 for it.

>set fans to quiet
>hear graphic singing
>ramp fans backup
I wish they cured this autism.

>That mobo is 450 dollars in my country

There is no hope for me...

im not that guy. I have a 1800x and believe me you want water when you OC to anything over 4.0ghz

At least you get sopa de maco fresh and hot by local vendors!!

Yeah I'm taking it out completely. It was in there because before I had a i7-8700 on that part list. Also you know a better way to get Windows 10 without buying?

Pirate windows from pirate bay, it isnt difficult. I would also recommened the m9i for the 8400. Amazing 20 doller cooler that comes with paste.

How the fuck did you know?
Anyway, just FYI, 99,5% (i dont know about jungle people) brazilians would be disgusted by an actual sopa de macaco, i dont like this meme

Protip: don't take memes to seriously.

As usual depends on which games you play and what applications you use. Both are solid, get whatever team you prefer.

it's just bantz. All of south america is nearly african teir but brazil is one of the most respectable countries. Americans typically respect brazil more than most south american countries. The green pools during the olympics kind of hurt that image thougj

Shout out to the G4560 for still managing to be a relevant CPU.

It's all good, i was just clarifying. Wasn't sure if you guys actually believed we eat this kind of food around here

BUT THE ATHELON!!!!

>build a new computer
>every time I hear a new sound I haven't heard before I open the case to check if everything is okay
Can't wait for this phase to pass.

Autism is a life long disease

I feel like people recommending the B350 boards for heavy overclocking haven't watched the follow-up video of this guy youtube.com/watch?v=Ucjn6HCd2zI

Well I don't want to do HEAVY OC, I want to push my R7 to 3.8-3.9 (if it even can reach 3.9) without upping the voltage past the "safe" 1.35. So I probably won't have my VRMs get above 100C, I just want to cool them in SOME way. And the upward intake fans seem like the most obvious one (though the CPU power cable sits kind of above the vertical row, but half of them will still be in the current). I just wanna have some airflow, I mean it's not like 140mm fans are super expensive, I'm not buying the LED ones. I just don't really have an idea how to configure them better.

[spoiler]I'll probably just ask on some forum like tomshardware later.[/spoiler]

560 TI shit a brick

i5 2500k 16G ram

What graphics card should I throw in there? On phone so researching anything sucks. Not interested in upgrading, it's a time thing not about $. Better is good, too good for this box is a waste of money.

What should I order Sup Forums?

>G4560/G4600
lol

I understand you may not have a lot of choice if you build from Peru
But you should build on a modern platform, in other words not AM1. You need to provide more of an explanation of your situation

Right now the platform cost (CPU, mobo, RAM) to get the i3 8100 is about the same as getting the R5 1600, and in your graphic of BF1 performance the R5 1600 outperforms the i3 8100. So it would make sense to get the AM4 platform instead.

>I don't mind spending an extra ~$500 to future proof it for an extra few years
Not with that NVMe, 1000W PSU, and AIO (why would you buy an AIO when you want to replace it with custom loop later)
CPU and GPU is fine tho, if you really want to

Is Intel making coffee lake pentiums or no?

if you're playing @ 1080p then 1050Ti is good and 1060 3GB is better.

Dude, you just got lambasted in advance

It is for gaming mostly.
I just took the pic while playing a game. I wasn't saying I needed to upgrade because of the temp, but because of the 5 year old CPU and stuff.

But sometimes I'm multitasking with a lot of shit opened and it starts killing the CPU. I'm just wondering if an 3770 will mostly fix that.

Thanks

Dumb question maybe but why wouldn't I get the 1060 6Gb, it's like $60 more?

Anybody have experience with Corsair's? The sole reason I went with this keyboard was the light customization. How anybody can charge so much for a keyboard and have such a shit program is criminal

water is for intel housefires

learn to spell you dumb pajeet

>3gb
>good
AHAHAHAHAHAH

Evga 6gb 279$ ... am I missing something? Replacing a 560ti that an hero today.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)