Whats the difference between oled and lcd?

Whats the difference between oled and lcd?

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OLED pixels produce there own light, LCD is basically a filter that filters the light from a backlight.

blacks are blacker

this and also oled pixels literally shut themselves off when theyre black so blacks are just about perfect

though desu plasma's still pretty close. i'd go with that if you can find one. they;re literally like 10x cheaper usually

Plasma is one of those techs where special care needs to be taken to keep them in decent condition but fuck they where better than LCDs at the time.
LCD only won out because it was cheaper and more reliable at a lower price point and was still very much an upgrade to alot of the CRTs people where running.

The pixels could only be made so small on plasma though, so the drive for higher resolution displays would've killed plasma sooner or later.

I have a 2017 LG OLED TV. It looks miles better than anything else I've ever used. The only annyoing thing is the ABL when watching anime, but that can be eliminated completely if you are willing to lower the brightness.

I was thinking about getting one as my main computer monitor, how do fonts look on it?

I would not use it as a main computer monitor. The ABL really gets in the way seeing that most backgrounds, especially on the web, are white. And if you aren't turning off the lights, lowering the brightness isn't an option.

Unless you're in a sun-filled room you shouldn't need more than 180-200cd/m^2 max (recommended brightness for a well-lit office setting). Does ABL lower brightness at any manually set brightness or does it only do it when brightness is already high? Ideally you should be using your PC is a mildly lit room anyway, so you shouldn't need more than 120cd/m^2.

There is no ABL at all if you go below 150 nits. Maybe I've just been used to brighter PC monitors but I feel the level of brightness where there is no ABL is pretty dim in a lit room. The fonts look fine but I'm viewing it from far away with 225% scaling.

Stick with an LCD for web browsing/desktop use. Get the OLED for gaming/movies.

Is there any visible lag?

Is there anything other than the fact that the pixels are big that make it not a good idea for browsing/desktop use?

>Is there anything other than the fact that the pixels are big that make it not a good idea for browsing/desktop use?
Besides what said, the other big issue is burn in. Desktop use implies that non-moving UI elements are probably going to be on the screen for long periods of time, which is where image retention and burn in can become a problem.

I play PS4 games on it just fine. According to rtings it has an input lag of 21ms. There's nothing special about the pixels that would make it bad for desktop use. It does 4:4:4 chroma, but if you enable that option you don't get reverse 3:2 pulldown, so I'm just using it at 4:2:2 and it looks fine to me.

I see, thank you.

If there's any good black friday deals for it, I'll probably get one.

Premium TVs usually don't go on sale black friday, only cheapo bargin bin ones. I picked my 65B7A up for $2200, but got $500 back through credit card price matching, which is most likely near the lowest it will ever get before they discontinue it with the 2018 models.

One has burn in and the other doesn't.

IPS LCD no burn in greater gaming accuracy better colours 100% colour accuracy.

Oled - burn in and Colorado shifts

They offer better everything (except brightness) at the cost of needing more care to maintain. I have an OLED laptop and this image is what my desktop looks like. Also OLEDs dont like black bars so say goodbye to watching anything that is not your current screen aspect ratio.

>OLEDs don't like black bars
What the fuck are you talking about? If anything black bars look better on OLEDs since they blend in seamlessly.

Watch something with black bars for a while and then display a 5% grey image full-screen. You will see lines on the limits between the video you were watching and the black bars.

That's just temporary, not burn in. If that wasn't the case all the people watching 21:9 movies would have complained about it.

They have complained

Bullshit. There's no burn in from the letterboxing in this test and they are running it 20 hours a day 7 days a week.
rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

What's the best technology right now researched and so on? And I don't mean other smart and creative tricks with leds and backlights rather something different.

MicroLED and QD-LED are in development and the likely next generation after LCD and OLED.

Heat son. If had one of the last "high end" 60" plasma screens and it was both heavy and hot.
Yeah, it looked sexy though. But wall mounting was out of the question without some serious reinforcement.

There is no real diference

How the hell does oled have burn in?

I can understand it for plasma, but led pixels?

they're not regular inorganic led's

OLED use organic materials which are more prone to burn.

I still have some high end plasma TVs. Picture is great.

Panel with 1-2ms response, true blacks, full visible colour gamut, and no backlight bleed or other bullshit when?

About $2000+

OLED has better contrasts and "true" blacks but burn-in can occur. /thread

Oh right.

I'm completely sold on OLED and would love to use it as my pc screen since I don't play video games.

Is it always temporary burn-in or will 10hours a day cause permanent damage?

i imagine you only currently see OLED on tv's and smartphones because they either;
- aren't on for long periods at a time (phone)
- are never displaying static images for long periods at a time (tv)
while things like pc monitors are a bad fit, as you generally do have some static imagery on screen for long periods, which causes burn-in

My current screen, LCD, has temporary burn in half an hour.

It's been going 10hours a day for over a year now, nothing temporary.

I can deal with that if it's similar for OLED.
Don't want permanent.

Plasmas are outdated with them not having HDR and 4k and the like (aside from like 1 concept model I think). Fuckers deciding that it's not efficient enough to make more of.

LCDs can get image retention (though getting it in 30min sounds extreme, that shouldn't happen really), but they do not burn in. OLED does suffer from actual burn-in.

Ah, ok.

Thanks, tripple dubs.

the rabbit hole goes even deeper user. Plasmas can have their minimum voltage tweaked for even lower blacks.

Too sad for being not fpbp

(((They))) killed SED and FED technology in favor of OLED because burn-in guarantees people will need to replace their sets quickly. The tech is literally designed to fail and die the more you use it.

oled will fuck your shit up with unrepairable burn in while lcd won't. only retards watch movies with all the lights turned off

And laser just as it was about to fix the problem of DLP. Although DLP quickly became obsolete with ultra-cheap ultra-large LCD.
light-emitting QLED (not the stuff currently on sale) could solve the burn-in problem yet have the advantages of OLED. But, at this pace we'll see OLED in 5 years and QLED in another 15...

Look at one in a store.