Laptop chargers and 220V

This is the 5th time this week there was a big spark when plugging it in and 3rd time the whole room went dark.

Why is there no circuit that makes the caps in the chargers NOT suck all the amps they can get in the first second for Yuropoor? This is ridiculous.

>what is an input choke
m8, if your shit is missing that its your own fault for buying crap

>buying crap
It's a genuine Thinkpad charger that came with it but also happened with other laptop chargers.

>220v

why though

Turn off the outlet before you plug it in, you gigantic retard.

most of the world has figured out how to manufacture decent dielectric materials to insulate their wires, and thus became able to bump the voltages up, with all the advantages that come with it

If japan didnt fall for it then it means its shit

This is because we invented the shit.

>It's bad, but at least it's ours

Japan kept the two different frequencies because the generators bought for one region in the 19th century were 50hz and those bought for the other region were 60hz
if that sounds logical and efficient please, go ahead with it
in fact fuck it, why 110v, why not 55?

It's clear nobody ITT has any knowledge of the design and operation of a typical offline switching converter. Hell, most of you don't even seem to understand how inductors and capacitors work in a circuit.

In 2030, every wall outlet will be 5V USB 5.0.

Then we will have bigger sockets to host the charger (not outside the wall but inside) with a higher chance of burning and blowing up. Good idea, not good safe tech yet.

>implying we won't be powering phones directly off three-phase

Just use 12V DC

>americans don't ground their shit
also
>220v LUL
we've been using 240 since the dawn of time

Australian plugs and power standards are the best

They also didn't fall for the "Email" because fax is still so much better

>220/240

It's not like it even matters for most applications anyway. Every electronic device takes DC so it's all getting stepped down anyway. The only things that will take mains directly are large loads, motors, compressors, heating elements, etc. and even then they're not gonna care about a 20V difference. Just means your motor runs a bit slower and your heater heats slower.

This.
Quickcharge already fucks around with variable voltage, qi is AC.
We're gonna see AC inverters built into phones soon enough, because the bottleneck will always be the cable.

mmmm, sleeved service outlet

>the bottleneck will always be the cable.
Just remove the cable and wireless charge

I'm upset that every plug comparison thread ignores the aussie plug, but this goes uncontested here.
Really is top shit. Fucking love our plug, 10,15,20,25 Amp, all down compatible
>and your heater heats slower.
Nigga I repair espresso machines for a living, that 10v difference between running it in Australia vs Italy makes a noticeable impact

Might be a noticeable difference but you'll still get hot espresso if you're willing to wait a bit longer. On the other hand you stick a 240V kettle on 120V and you'll never get hot espresso no matter how long you leave it.

Recommendations for high voltage variable DC power supplies that won't cost a fortune? Needs to be able to output up to at least 500V (shouldn't be an issue finding 1-2kV or more though) and up to 100mA or more of current.

Most of what I find is $300, $500ish, or over $1000. I'm really looking more in the under $150 range.

Get a pc psu. You get 3.3, 5 and 12V. That covers just about everything.
And get a dc-dc step down converter or dc-dc boost converter if you need different voltage

Uh.

No, I already have a proper 30V 2A dual channel PSU and separate single channel 30V 5A. I don't need a crappy hacked PC PSU. I'm also not getting a shitty Chinese boost converter off eBay. I will most likely not get anywhere near the output current I need from one of them. I need a proper HV PSU.

v LUL
+-20v doesn't fucking matter

>VALHALLA SCIENTIFIC

that's one fucking badass brand name

Don't get me fucking started on 120v.
I'm just saying, when you're making 10 cups per minute, 220 vs 240 is the difference between a machine loosing all steam pressure and heat, and just barely keeping its shit together.
We should go higher, if anything

>proper HV PSU
Unless you find one second hand, used from an uni, or something like that, prepare to violate your wallet. :^)

I have a us dell charger for my xps and i use it with 240v sockets. Everytime i plug it in i hear a small pop. Should i worry? The charger is rated anyway

>the branding on the outside mean its great on the inside
the current state of applel customers
i would tell you to kys but looks like you are already doing it, so, keep on

>using the smiley with a carat nose