How many case fans are ideal for airflow, and where should they be placed?

how many case fans are ideal for airflow, and where should they be placed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just one on the side is all your need

jej

As many as you can fit. Front to back, with 1 more input than output.

for sure, but there has to be an ideal minimum.

It's a function of volume, the topography of the interior, the expected temperature swing of the room, the expected operating temperature swings, etc.

2 in, 1 out.

LinusTech did a pretty good video on it. One of their only actually good videos.

Care to spoonfeed me the link, user?

1 in 1 out is ideal across the board after that it depends on the case / components and what the fuck you are doing.

linus tech tips how many fans

youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

My case supports a good amount of fans so I just filled them all, rather you should be concerned with negative pressure or positive, both with cons and pros.

your psu fan exhausts air?

Open to suggestions on editing the pic, but I'd say this is the basic gist of it.

Side panel fan is probably the most effective one though.

>LinusTech did a pretty good video on it. One of their only actually good videos.
Because Luke did it

Not quite. When a case has no fans, and you're adding just a single one, a side fan is the most effective, yes. But when you already have an airflow set up (e.g. 2 intakes - 1 exhaust) a side fan will do next to nothing, and in some cases even disrupt the airflow.

people filling the front-top fanslot with an exhaust always give me a good chuckle

this is a dumb meme that gets parroted without proof
an exhaust on the side wont disrupt shit

>tested it myself
>no proof

ok then

Don't do floor-mounted fans unless you want all the dust in your case. No, a shitty included dust filter won't help.

More intake fans means positive case pressure, so all air is intaking through those fans/filters.

More exhaust fans creates negative case pressure, which will bring air in through cracks that are unfiltered, and result in more dust.

I prefer 140mm fans over 120mm as they are quieter. I have two 140mm intakes and one exhaust all controlled by my case controller.

One intake and one exhaust will work fine for most things.

>wahhh
there, there...

2 big dick right over your mobo

This is an older photo of my pc, but the arrows indicate the location and flow direction of the fans that are installed now. All of the fans are now Noctua NF-F12 120mm fans (other than the PSU's fan in the lower left). The three fans pulling from the front are filtered. One fan pushing out the top left. One fan pushing out the top rear. The bottom right fan is adding some cool air to the case but also throwing cool air across the HDD and PSU under the shroud. Temps are very cool and the case is nearly dust-free even after three months since last cleaning. I'll post a speccy to show temps. Noctua fans with the brown-on-tan are ugly to look at IMHO but they run nearly silent.

My speccy. Cool temps. I love the Fractal Design Define Mini C case.

Fractal rear fan is blowing inside the case in pic related you heathen.

I did say it was an old pic and that the arrows indicate my current setup. I was experimenting with an open top and a rear fan pushing air onto the cpu. I have since flipped that fan around so that it is pushing warm air out of the top rear. I have since added a fan pushing warm air out of the top left. The PSU is self-contained, although the arrows indicate its airflow in the bottom left. I have three filtered fans pulling, two fans pushing, and one fan pushing across the cpu.

anyone got the s340 elite from nzxt?

currently only have the default fans it came with, should i switch the top one to the front for intake?

Three in the front, two on the top, one in the back.

There is no "recommended amount of case fans" because cases can vary so much.

Somebody with a Silverstone FT02 only needs the three 180mm intakes on the bottom and a 120mm fan on the top as exhaust whereas somebody with a Corsair Air 540 might wanna add 3 intakes in the front, and some exhausts in the roof and back.

Generally though you wanna keep positive pressure not because of temperatures but because of dust. And generally the more fans you have, the less speed you can run them at since the workload doesn't come down to only one or two fans doing the job of pushing air.

Did the Noctua fans make a big difference in ambient temps from the fans that came with the case?

I'm running the same case but with a combination of the stock fans and some cheap ones I bought from ebay. Will I see a difference in ambient and cpu temps if I get some better coolermaster or Noctua fans?

2 to 3 180mm fans on the bottom, 1 120/140mm on the top.
Silverstone style 90 degree rotation is perfect for air coolong.

I have 5 on mine, 2 200mm at the front, 1 120 mm from the bottom, 1 120mm angled up in the middle , 1 140mm AIO exhaust at the back.

Its a closed case with very grills.
I have no idea how effective it is

This is wrong. Side fan can drop temps more than anything. It's blowing cool are directly on the GPU and mobo.

>Never fill these
Why not?

because he has autism

airflow is a meme

ive had 3 years of different builds with no fans, just the GPU, PSU pulling from within the case and the HSF

mobo temps stay fine, CPU temps stay fine and GPU as well

also every vent covered (including the rear) with demiflex filters

only teh FINEST layer of dust can be see if theres a top vent, otherwise its all a meme

and right now i have an i7-7700 and a 1060 6GB, so theres not much "more" power you need to run today's games and even if, its not going to output that much more heat

also this is assuming you lock your FPS to 60 with RTSS, if i just fucking left it going and my CPU and GPU were trying to push out 90+ frames with every game...yeah it would get hot, but thats fucking stupid

Some cases need a lot of fans as the design is more for aesthetics (h440) for example... Most are fine, you just need 1 in / 1 out. Been doing this for years and my system is heavily overclocked and runs ~70 degrees with only 2 case fans.

Zero.

>HURR DURR I AM RETARDED LOOK AT ME SHOWING MY RETARDATION

A little bit but it wont be impactfull, maybe 1 or 2 degrees.
the reason to get noctua is they'll move the same amount of air at half the db as some of the cheaper fans.

>Probably 50 degrees in the case
>"fine"

um try barely 30

>Literally no fans pushing air in the case or out aside from the GPU and PSU
>barely 30
Sure.

right now its 40 because i was gaming

but the SSD and mobos are still in the 30s

GPU and CPU are 40

and it doesnt matter how long i play, the most it gets is high 40s inside, CPU depending on the game is at most 60 and GPU is 60

I have to intake in front and 1 outake in the back (also my PSU fan).

air flow is a meme, linus already posted a video proving this

>linus
well that settles it then

only have a front one
then again I'm using an i5-4440S and a 750ti

You must live in a fucking igloo then.

Fuck off.

?

like this.

I'm the user who posted And I would have to say the very same thing as the user who posted My Fractal Design Define Mini C case came with two Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans. I added those two Noctua fans you see in my picture. That dropped my temps by about 2 degrees. Within weeks, I swapped out the two Fractal Design fans for two Noctua fans. I think maybe I saw another 1 or 2 degree drop, nothing significant. What I did experience though was a significant drop in fan noise. Like I said, the Noctua fans run virtually silent at low to mid speeds, and they barely sound like the whoosh of a fast ceiling fan when running at high speed. The Fractal Design case helps with that. Good sound proofing all over inside. It's a great case. Solid construction, and so easy to build a pc with. Tons of cable management options, loads of slots to to zip-tie cables to. You can see in the pic, I ran all the cables down and behind the motherboard and away from the airflow of the fans, which cuts down on air turbulence, which cuts down on noise. I put my ear right up to the case just now and I cannot hear a sound. Noctua fans + Fractal Design Define Mini C case = happy user who hates noisy pc.

As long as your house has good air conditioning 2-3 is probably fine. Since my place doesn't, I made sure to get a case with 4 since summers where I have temps in the upper 90s pretty regularly.

based on my experience and what I know, two or three in the front and one in the back. This keeps positive air pressure. as for size, get the largest fans you can, this will usually be 140mm fans in th fron tand 120mm fan in the back.

That depends on what components you're planning to use

I got 3 fans. 2 in, 1 out
i7 6700k @ 4,6GHz (Watercooled)
Strix GTX1080ti

Under load the cpu temp climbs to about 45-50°C
The GPU climbs to 68°C

wich is good

Idle temps in speccy screenshot

>not taking the shitty case fan you'll replace with a 140mm and hot flying it on the solid top of your PSU

One intake, one exhaust is absolutely essential IMO. I then shoved two more very quiet fans on the roof of my case pointed directly at my 290x and the temperature dropped by 10c, making the system as a while quieter.

Note - horizontal motherboard CoreV21. Whatever you need to do to shove cool air at your GPU, put them there instead.

its 64 rn in my room and its snowing outside, my window is open

2 140mm intake on my aio 280mm in the front, 2 140mm on top exhaust and 1 120mm rear exhaust. This helps pull more air through the aio and keeps my 7700k at 30c idle and 60c under full load average. House stays at 74f.

it has two leaf blower fans you fucking cuck.

also its pretty loud for a desktop that uses laptop hardware.

3 fans, 2 in the front and one in the back.

unless you watercool, then 2 in the top as well.

but warning. the GPU wont get that much air.

aren't the fractal pci covers vented already?

Your entire case should be made of fans and you should have more intakes than out.