/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=C9IoucHpy2w

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/slow-watches-slow-jo-quartz-watch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I asked in the previous thread but didnt get an answer yet, are gold watches only for niggers?

if it's yellow or rose gold and over 40mm: absolutley

This, a small dress watch in gold is classy but gold diver or sports watch is definitely not.

silicone oil. I used 200cst, but any viscosity up to 1000cst is fine.

any lcd display casio is eligible for the mod. I've done an f91w and g-shock in the past

So this would be a no for a white person?

Yeap, that's a no.

Where do you buy yours? Is it branded under something else? Is treadmill oil the same thing?

treadmill oil is pretty low viscosity, around 30 cst I think (water is 1 cst).

80wt shock oil is good. Super Lube 100 cst works fine and is cheap. But be aware that the Super Lube may have small bits of plastic in the bottle since it's advertised as a general purpose lube and isn't filtered the same way shock oil would be.

Shouldn't be an issue, just filter it through a paper towel before putting it in your watch.

are there any other watches with planetary subdials? seems like it would be more common

Looks right up Trump's style though. Maybe add his T inside it, and a few tacky diamonds.

Should be put in the top also.

Not very common. Only examples off the top of my head are probably urwerk and and maybe arnold and son

Thanks user. Did you happen to follow a specific guide when you did yours?

I never knew I needed one of these in my life until now.

fuck you reddit.

back when quartz meant luxury. god damn thats a sexy watch.

>yeah Hans, just throw the subdials where ever the fuck you feel like.

So the right subdial is minutes? Then what's the left one? What do they mean?!

They're sunrise and sunset times.

LMAOing at all u incel wristlets rn

Hey get your test checked might be low

Best taste for around 1k

From my own searching like like it's 500$ bracket then only worth to jump to like 3k+

Why do they call it the thickodate?

ty v much rolex user

Because it's stupid thicc.

Wrist check /wt/. I've got my Sekonda Deluxe on today.

Thoughts on the Slow Jo? massdrop.com/buy/slow-watches-slow-jo-quartz-watch

Due to your poor experiences, which countries do you tend to avoid when purchasing watches and which ones do you favor?

I avoid Italian sellers like the plague.

Japanese, German and American sellers are usually top tier.

India and Ukraine are the ones I always avoid.

Indian, Pakis, or Eastern European sellers in general (With the only real exception being if it's a Vostok coming from Chistopol).

>reddit, the phone
>reddit, the watch

>+7s per day
>drop watch
>+1s per day

For me, its the SKX009K2

I thought Reddit: The Watch was a Nomos?

Is there anything wring with a 16234 Datejust apart from the slightly worse bracelet/clasp?

Everything is Reddit. Sup Forums is Reddit.

When was the last time you went scuba diving?

Last spring.

you bumped the regulator a bit silly~

I have a question, I want to get my gf a watch for her 21st bday and she already told me she really liked the look of this fossil (altho she'd prefer a black strap).
I'm not sure about quality of fossils as they seem like mass produced shit to me.

so i found this tissot that I really like and I think it looks alike to the fossil my gf liked.
My female friend told me that it kinda looks like a watch for old women and she wouldn't wear it and I'm conflicted now. Any suggestions, is it an alright buy? You guys helped me get my current automatic swatch so I trust you.

Trash

Drop it again to reach 0spd

Entry Level dress watch recommendations closer to 37-38mm?

Yea I know its trash, I'm looking for watches that look like this fossil and arent shit quality. Could ya help me?

Is this list still relevant ? What about that Invicta? I kinda like it but I'd switch the strap.

see the problem is the color. Pvd watches are all shit and a gold watch is going to be out of your price range.

get her a vintage omega and get it serviced right away.

don't buy a fucking invicta i bought one it was accurate to 1 second a day i got super fucking lucky with the movement but it is a hunk of shit. You will not be able to convince yourself that it is ok.

How about the seiko SNDY14?

India and Ukraine are both an automatic no. I also generally avoid Chinese sellers. Have had bad luck with Americans but they're largely okay, but the Axis of Excellence (ie Germany and Japan) tends to be the best.

It might have been more elegant on a 24 h dial.

Could only get more meme-y if you put the speedy on a nato. Nice job.

I got an Invicta.
Good points are that it was cheap, has a decent movement and it looks alright. I really don't care if I smash it against something and it got me into watches.
It really is a hunk of shit though. It is a bit hard to talk down about it because it's better than a Seiko 5 for cheaper, but just like Seiko 5's it's not a good watch by any stretch, but an ok entry point. If I was to do it again I would have saved up ~4 times the cost and gotten an Orient diver, at least that's a decent start point.

there are a million and one eco drives that fit the bill. Like the FE2083-58Q

Man this chart sure takes me back to when I first started coming into these threads. It was actually an improvement over the one we had before. Can't believe it hasn't been updated in almost two years, but it's largely relevant with a few exceptions:

>Orient Mako is discontinued and so is the original Orient Ray, both replaced
>Orient Union turned out to be sort of nondurable, plastic wheel that controls the date breaks easily
>Parnis and Bagelsport are hilariously cheap but the movement quality is fucking trash, they were both the meme watches of summer 2015
>HMT is typical poo in loo, comes with awful malformed jewels and occasional pubic hairs

Which is why you should only get the OB version with the Seiko movement

What watch is this?

and what watch is this?

Both look like swatches have a look on their website.

Thank you both for the input. I was really close to buying it. Is there any poorfag watch that's worth it or should I just save?

How much do you want to spend right now?

Orient bambino looks great IMO but why the fuck is it 40mm
honestly that's just retarded
why does nobody make a dress watch in classic proportions?

inb4 fedora
there's such a thing as objective aesthetics and big fuckhuge watches violate every rule in the book
inb4 wristlets etc

Why do the very wealthy wear Swatches? Like straight up plastic shit Swatches
I swear every time I see a billionaire or a world leader they're wearing that fucking retarded plastic swatch model

is it a dogwhistle? "I love Jews"? I don't get it

Less than 200$ (poor uni student)

The hands aren't long enough on them either. It's like they designed a 38mm watch, changed their minds, and added a larger case.
Well swatches are very collectable and are significant in the watch world. But likely they just don't see the value in a watch and buy swatch because it's cheap and swiss.

>Pushing WMAF master race
Nvm figured it out

40mm is definitely not fuckhuge

i did

>40mm is definitely not fuckhuge
it is for a dressy watch
but then again nobody in these threads has any actual taste

r8?

8/10

>is it a dogwhistle? "I love Jews"?

Swatch is owned by Lebanese Christians, the Hayek family. No matter how many times you repeat the lie that they're Jews.

Cuckstains are lesser Jews who grovel before the real ones.

mamma give mlikies?

0/10

You can get a decent citizen or seiko for less than $200

pretty sure that guy is hapa but one of the 1/1000 that look 90% white

hapa masterrace desu
dude's attractive

why? that's rude

Gay

Guess that includes you, wristlet. If you had a 7" wrist then 40mm would definitely be doable as a dress watch.

>call someone else a wristlet
>7" wrist
lmao
40mm is fucking massive for a dress watch unless you are legitimately 6'6" with gigantic joints

nah, in reality you just have shit taste and can't into sizing

enjoy your MC Hammer slacks and dinnerplate watch bro

We really need a beginners guide people have to complete before posting, then we wouldn't have retards talking about >40mm dress watches

I have 7.75" wrists and a 40mm dress watch is still pushing it.

Watch fit has more to do with thickness and how it lays on your wrist than it does diameter. Smaller watches that have lugs that stick into your hand look just as retarded as watches with a diameter larger than your wrist width. Proper watch size changes from person to person and there is no "correct" size

Is the difference between 38 and 40 really that big of a difference?

How bad of an idea is it to buy a Hamilton? I know about the ETA meme but the khakis are actually nice.

Khaki is fine. The problem with basic eta movements isn't that they're bad, it's that folks like panerai and iwc drop them in cheap cases and charge 5k+

Don't the Hamiltons use new H-10 movements? I feel like they might be modified ETA's

Help me /wt/ I just got a new job and I'm thinking about buying a nice watch that would go well with a suit.

I want something like this GS but basic manuals seem to be ~3500 and that's kinda pushing it for me. I can kinda justify it but it would still me several months of saving and cheap lunches.

What is your best super plain classic looking dress watch at various price points?

Orient Bambino is super cheap but if you were thinking a GS might be too cheap. Check out Junghans Meister line

wait for the slav dress watch connoiseur to drop in and school you on those.
I don't really think of the Grand Seiko style you posted as dress watch btw, so i'm not sure what to recommend you.
Junghans makes nice watches (Meister and Max Bill line) in the Bauhaus style that can be really dressy. Nomos is kinda the hot Bauhaus watch to have and it goes nice to a watch but the lugs can expose small wrists, so better try one on before buying.
Frederique Constant and Longines make nice looking dress watches around the 2k mark, however I tend to find them a bit basic in terms of what you get for your money.
>pic unrelated

Best looking cheap but still luxury's watch is the GS

>goes nice to a suit*
is what I meant of course

I'll check out the meister

The GS would be really pushing it. For this watch I'm feeling more comfortable around the $900 range but I might psych myself up into something more spendy.