Unconventional ways to connect to the internet

What are some unconventional ways to connect to the internet? Most of us are connecting through a large, commercial ISP like comcast, a wireless provider like Verizon, or a university.

The bar for connection is the ability to send a short, encrypted, text message.

How weird can we get, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.com/2017/09/11/the-things-network-sets-702-km-distance-record-for-lorawan/
youtu.be/X9dpXHnJXaE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump.

bump

i was looking into meshnets a while back... sounds like a neat hobby

You can set up a dial up node at your home address and dial into it via your phone, even if you don't have mobile internet service.

You roll down the street in your car with your wi-fi laptop on the dashboard until you get a good signal some dufus left unprotected and connect via Tor.

further, using a satellite phone and an accoustic modem, an internet connection through your home dial up node could be possible anywhere in the world, even where you don't have access to a telephone network.

How much does recent phones get kbps?

Greg?

Hmm. I'm a brainlet, but I feel like the right antennae could make a tranciever and something something radiowaves, if you gave it enough power+altitude

> get a bunch of phones with software to create meshnet
> leave them around the city, heading towards nearest free WiFi
> make sure they can connect to each other.
> go home
> enjoy your free internet connection through your private meshnet!

My student flat was connected directly to the Amsterdam internet exchange via an approx 1.5km long fiber optic cable.

We all had 100Mbit connections when 2Mbit was the most normal people could get.
And it was only a few euro's per month.

conekt wifi devise ur wifi
conekt baofeng uv-5r to wifi devise
conekt othr baofeng-uv5r long computr

no.

Thanks for your example of a totally content-free post.
Very impressive.
Saved.

We're paying for 100Mb/s.
This is pretty good (see pic). Mostly the ping is in double figures.

Can someone explain to me how the internet works

How come these companies have unlimited amount of internet and they can sell it to people for a fee. What do they physically have in their headquarters.

read about a guy who got access to the internet uses speakers from a different computer and the mic on his computer because his work computer did not have internet access so he couldn't go on stackoverflow

>What are some unconventional ways to connect to the internet? Most of us are connecting through a large, commercial ISP like comcast, a wireless provider like Verizon, or a university.
There are no "unconventional" ways that don't involve connecting to one ISP or another. The most "unconventional" you're going to get is taping some cable somewhere on the backbone and injecting your packets there or jacking into the local network the server you're trying to connect to is on. You may as well be asking what an "unconventional" way to drive to a store you want to go to via the same public roads everyone else uses.

IPv4 over Avian Carriers of course.

henry?

dave?

don't do this, hams will come and sic the fcc on you and then they'll take all your radio shit and fine you $10k and send you to prison

Hams don't care so long as you have a license and follow the rules. Radio based IP links are nothing new when it comes to amateur radio. The only problem is no the encryption rule which is sadly necessary as encryption would make rules such as no business use extremely difficult to enforce even if the FCC was given significantly more manpower to do so.

>Hams don't care so long as you have a license and follow the rules.
I know user, and IP over AX.25 has been a thing for decades. My message was intended for newfags without a license who think they can just do whatever.

>IP over AX.25 has been a thing for decades
Crap, thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to see if I can pick up any APRS activity with the shitty antenna I made for my Baofeng. I was never able to pick any up with the normal whip antenna I have for it.

It's pretty common lore that all HTs come with a dummy load shaped like an antenna.

I want to make an AX.25 BBS with a couple dialup lines once I move, it'll be fun.

using the tv coixial cabel..

I think I've observed some of the limits of my Baofeng. I need to turn the squelch up to 9 (previously kept at 5 or 6) just because of background noise on some frequencies when scanning and I already changed the squelch settings to what were supposedly more reasonable amounts previously (don't remember exactly what they were but I'm pretty sure there was a 5 decibel spacing for each squelch level). I wonder how much this antenna is actually going to help me.

what sort of antenna user? is it a dipole? If so you should be able to rotate it to null out interference or home in on signals

if the interference is more close by you could try to cure it, put your stock duck on the radio and wander around your property and see if the interference is louder in one spot or another and then try putting ferrite beads on the power line which is making noise, close to the appliance

you can search on the internet for curing rf noise in your radio, there's an awful lot of information out there

Google 'internet backbone'. Read the wiki. Then read all the pages linked in the article. Then read all the linked pages in those links.

>implying that there is a de facto backbone
even if all the backbones go down if there's a route it will be used user, that's the neat bit of magic

it is possible to transmit packets using radio. There are youtube videos about happening preparation people testing this.

If you reflect the waves at the atmosphere you get great scope and it is pretty weird.

When was this, 2004-2006?

Colin?

they have a well of internets in their headquarter. If you wanted one you would need to lay hundreds of miles of cable. that's what makes them unique and why they are able to sell you the service.

>unlimited amount of internet
Not really.
They're largely limited by the speed of the routers, underwater cables etc.. and they also pay a lot more per MB/s than you do.
Internet is kinda sold like cocaine, where they buy for example 100MB/s for 1000 dollars per month, then "dilute" it into let's say 100 ((10MB/s)) connections with each paying 50 bucks.
It works because they use a lot of caching to save bandwidth and most people don't actually use their full connection 24/7.

>what sort of antenna user? is it a dipole?
Actually just a several foot wire attached with an alligator clip that's just for listening right now. I didn't have much luck indoors with my original antenna and I can't really put an antenna outside in my current apartment so I figured I'd try that to make sure I could actually pick up more than just a couple local repeaters from inside my apartment before taking the time to make a good antenna that's actually resonant at 2 meters/70 cm (from what I've seen so far with this random length wire antenna, it will be worth it). I guess I could try checking the various cables around my apartment, I've already had problems with the power supply for a cordless phone producing interference that came in over my headphones so it isn't out of the question.

Satellite comm is a thing, not unconventional but still uncommon in many parts

Maybe some kind of low bandwidth LoRa physical layer. It would be pretty slow for any conventional uses, but more than sufficient for sending text messages. Its bandwidth maxes out at a couple of tens of Kbps theoretically, more realistically hackaday.com/2017/09/11/the-things-network-sets-702-km-distance-record-for-lorawan/

Dave's not here man.

everyone encrypts their shit now
running a rogue AP to get logins for xfinitywifi hotspots is more reliable

youtu.be/X9dpXHnJXaE

Here's a video of someone connecting to the internet with a modem from 1964

Internet via ham radio.

isn't that against the law

nevermind i'm thinking of encrypted communication

The internet is nearly entirely encrypted communication.

>encrypted
this part is against regs. ham radio is literally just for
- retirees to flap their gums about retiree things
- emcomm roleplaying

it's been cucked out of usefulness for everything else thanks to the FCC

thats disappointing, the tech seems like it has so much potential
is it as restricted in other countries?

Place I work at sells a bunch of different kinds.

Satellite of course.

Wireless, like wifi only town-wide. They stick the antennas on grain elevators in hickville and slap those flat receiver antennas onto peoples roof's. They use an injector as a type of modem. Pretty simple though, also pretty sure everyone in that town is getting cancer.

I've seen someone pay 260 bucks for a 'dedicated' Ethernet jack that runs all the way from his house to our central office. He gets 10mg off it. Hope it's worth it.

Seen some crazy setup where they get DSL into their house, then convert it from their router back into a format that can go over phone lines via a Paradyne Stormport, send it over the same phone line to their shop, convert it back and have a second router there.

There's of course fiber to the home. Those a pretty bulletproof except for when the ONT goes down on their end. I have no idea why some of the newer external ones from calix can't be power cycled. That fixes 90% of problems.

My uncle has one of those WiFi only towers on his property. The company actually forgot about him, and the equipment was super out dated and ran like ~2mbs. He ran into two guys that worked at the company in the hardware store, and they were so happy to finally close out that old janky tower, they put in a brand new one and now he gets free internet.

Here's the thing, there deffinetly is a change in the electro-magnetics. Apparently, the reason why they were so happy to get that new tower in is that his property is the only one on a hill, that isnt directly next to a house. The guys ran a big ol tape measure out a waved around the ghost hunting wands and didn't share what they said. Sure were happy though, like totally pumped. I'm pretty sure that this company is literally just these two guys selling internet to like 300 people in this one chunk of land.

Part of me is concerned about cancer. The other part of me thinks that this can be exploited for something.

>not encrypted means it's "cucked out of usefulness"
lol

>Here's the thing, there deffinetly is a change in the electro-magnetics.
what did he mean by this?

>paying for internet in 2018-0.2
I live above a mcdonalds I bridge my network onto their wifi via my router, all my traffic is VPN encrypted on the router so they can't see me torrent.

They've tried to kick me off multiple times but since mac-spoofing is a thing it's just a game of whack a mole that they can't win so they stopped trying.

Dunno the technical terms but they may be kicking out a fuckton of power and causing radiation above human safe levels.
You ever seen pics of strip lights illuminated just by being under high voltage powerlines? Would you want to live under it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

>all my traffic is VPN encrypted on the router so they can't see me torrent.
They can see you if they look.
They just can't see your data.
How do you stand the smell?

>pozzbourne
I want your shithole of a city nuked.

What? Can you write proper fucking sentences?

I believe user meant connecting two computers using ultrasonic, given that your speakers and microphone can reasonably transmit high frequencies. If you're using the audible spectrum instead, it essentially becomes an acoustic coupler that directly uses soundwaves instead of telephones.

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

i've heard about this in malware but never seen software for it that's available to the general public

i suppose a person could just whip up some kind of ultrasonic modem, why not though

Tim?

Tyrone?

So is that this this worked?

You could just use a vpn though right? Packets are unencrypted at the physical layer, but inside the packets are your encrypted vpn data. This is surely fine right? Otherwise you couldn't visit https sites or use ssh.

SSTV isn't digital

>How weird can we get, Sup Forums?
IP over Avian Carrier

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2549

>>Part of me is concerned about cancer.
you dumb nigger there's literally no way you're going to get cancer from non-ionizing radiation
unless you're literally sticking your head in a microwave, causing burns that would give you a _slight_ increase in cancer risk