Let's Talk Chairs

My cheapo chair broke the other night. I'm usually stuck at my desk for several hours at a time. Been thinking about buying a Herman Miller. Expensive as fuck but it seems like it might be worth the cost. What are you sitting on and how long can you comfortably sit?

I used a piano bench for years, now I just sit on the makeshift cot I use for a bed. I have good posture, so I can sit like this for hours, though I usually pace around for a few minutes every hour or so.

i'm sitting on a herman miller right now. not worth the money. Chair won't fix your posture automatically

I've been thinking of swapping to a desk that can convert to standup as well as I've recently found myself stuck at my computer for 5+ hours a day.

Which model is it? I would like to think I could deal with another office depot special but I'm also wondering if shelling out another couple hundred would provide something a little higher quality.

steelcase leap and gesture are the best designs IMO.
I had an first gen aeron for 3 years but holy shit the leap is so much more comfortable than the mesh seat and not having to deal with the hard plastic surround when not sitting perfectly upright and in the center is a big deal and keeps you more active, I can sit much longer in the leap.
also tried the embody but it feels really cheap in comparison, no idea what's going on there and why that thing is getting so much hype

I did do some searching about the leap and gesture. I was already feeling insane for debating a $500.00+ chair and my wife agreed. The leap/gesture just seems absurdly expensive.

They're all shit.

I'm sittning on a Kinnarps 5000 it's great and price worthy. I can sit on it for hours and hours without any problem. However I do have a really good posture. Idk why you would spend more than $500 on a chair. I think the most important things is your posture and a enough great chair. Also you should take a break every hour.

I have an ErgoChair 2 by Autonomous. It's bretty good. A lot cheaper than Herman Miller.

where I live they're both way cheaper than the embody. also you can get refurbished deals on the leap v1/v2 for similar prices as what the aeron and mirra refurbished go for

I did see these as well. They seemed quite nice. Where did you pick yours up?

inb4 car seat-user

Aeron is a piece of shit, mine is sitting in the storage now. The plastic rim at the bottom cuts off circulation to your legs if you sit for extended periods.

Yeah the embody does not do it for me. I worry about refurbs on a fabric cushion chair. Did you get yours refurbed?

I just bought it directly from the site. Shipping was a little much, but the box weighed like 50 pounds.
Got to my house in 3 days. I live in the Southeast.

>ErgoChair
Same here. One thing to keep in mind: the bottom seat is adjustable and moves forward/back. MAKE sure to move that as needed, as initially it was the most uncomfortable chair ever till i figured out you could move that and fix the seat digging into your back.

Ah yes I remember looking these and realizing that the website said shipping would take place a month later and that threw me off. Was it like that for you and it came quickly anyways?

I use a car seat bolted to the base of a power recliner and can sit very comfortably indefinitely.

Car seats have far more engineering than chairs which are overpriced junk by comparison. Mine was a clean passenger seat I got for 25 bucks from a u-pull-it salvage (get the pyrotechnic seat belt retractors if attached when you pull your seat, they are fun to play with!).

I don't remember, I bought it about a month ago. It's held up pretty well, but I don't remember if it said it would take a moth to ship.

no, mine was a demo model at an interior designer's showroom for a couple of weeks.
from what I've seen official steelcase refurbished means at least new seat panel and armrest pads

I actually have a set of buckets from a wrx wreck I bought and had thought of using one. The wife didn't like the idea as my desk is in our bedroom and a full sized car seat would be pretty guady. I also really like being able to take a break with armrests.

give ikea markus a try. it may be lacking adjustability but if it fits your ass well you're golden.

I'm currently sitting on a RH 400 logic XL, it's very comfy but quite pricy

Refurbed leather steelcase leap v2 owner here. Best sub-£200 purchase ever made.

Where did you find a refurb? Is it directly on their website?

Second hand Steelcase Leap or second hand Aeron are the way to go.

>go to Alibaba
>search for chair parts
>choose parts that suit your need
>part together chair and brag about it on Sup Forums
There's an untapped market for modular chairs. Someone take my meme idea and provide better infrastructure.

>ikea chair
don't do this. Their tables are ok, but for a chair, buy a real brand.

>spending a kilobuck on a place to put your ass on

Second hand refurbed furniture store on Ebay.

>spending a kilobuck on chairs over a decade because you have to replace them yearly

how fat is your ass if you have to replace chairs yearly? I've been using a cheap, shitty old chair for years which I merely haven't bothered replacing.

?
it's a cheap piece of shit

might as well sit on a stack of bricks if you don't want padding, that would be even cheaper

Thinking of buying picture related.
>full length, full width backrest
>can recline all the way if you just want to be comfy
>minimal gaymer aesthetic
>made for fat people so it's seriously overbuilt
It's about 25% more than I'm willing to pay at the moment though. But the chairs with the same features that are ACTUALLY meant for serious professional use are at least twice as expensive.

Ergonomic office chairs are nice, as long as the only thing you want to do in front of your computer is work while sitting in an upright position.

Great thank you.

It's much the same concept with mattresses. A great one will last nearly a decade while a shit one will only go for about two years before it begins to break down.

The markus is literally more cheaply made than the most basic $50 office chairs.

That pleather will likely begin to fray quite quickly.

Any solid classic chairs students can easily afford?

Just standing is as bad for your legs as just sitting is bad for your back. Mod a treadmill to double as a desk instead, dude

I can only imagine how many keys I'd fat finger while walking and typing.

What do you mean by classic?

Lines or models that have stood the test of time and have been consistently been deemed excellent, possibly old and low tech, but nonetheless better than your average chair and sturdy. Great bang for buck as the yanks say.

Is the standing desk meme completely dead?

Well from what I've read you're basically going to want to look at a used herman miller or a steelcase. The aeron is pretty much the standard in sitting comfortably. But I have read about some people really disliking it. If you can get on craiglist or w/e and check to see if some of the suggestions in this thread are available.

I use an old canvas chair like something a director would sit on, no joke once I got used to it I felt it was way more comfortable than an office or expensive chair

Someone was talking Autonomous earlier in the thread, I have their sit/stand Smartdesk. The meme is alive and well.

And what would you suggest from steelcase? Would be preferable if the chair is completely solid or constructed in such a way as it is easy to repair, were some mechanism or part break. And what about the more unconventional chairs like kneeling chairs, are those in unsustainable?

all i want is a chair with a head rest and fabric instead of leather for under 200 and absolutely no mesh or gaming bullshit

quit sitting like a noob

the human eye can't see more than 60Hz, what us that chair supposed to do

>leather

its unsitabble gargage if i cant sit in it naked there is no point in buying it

Why yes, move the seat fully forward so you dont sit on the very back of your asscheeks

ONLY TO HAVE SAID ASSCHEEKS OVER THE BACK EDGE OF THE FUCKING SEAT BECAUSE YOU HAD TO MOVE IT FORWARD

Fuck those chars, get one where the seat is long enough.

the leap v2, or a gesture if you can find one that isn't ludicrous expensive

Cloth is itchy as fuck you heathen.

Actual leather is comfy and breathes.

I just put a towel on it

Leather is gross.

These are reviewed so poorly its scary.

ya until you have a day over 10 percent humidity

worst chair I've ever sat in, also doesn't go high enough

So is your face, get the fuck out vegan.

Sorry you sweaty shit, i live near the ocean and walking distance from a fjord.

mericlaps.

i will be relaxing on my lovely comfy cloth chair eating my steak in the buff

btw leather office chairs are seldom made with real leather

I'm not a vegan. Leather chairs are just fucking gross.

What do you use? I started the thread for suggestions!

If you buy shit ones, of course theyre not real leather.

Sure thing vegan

did the same purchase, found it on a local listing on craigslist.
pretty great, had i the money I'd buy a new gesture or another steelcase model.

High-school not going well or something?

I have no idea where the fuck to even begin. I just want a good chair that I could sit on almost naked without it tearing up in several months.

>almost naked
get some mesh shit, aeron or mirra

meanwhile i can buy "shit" cloth chairs and still get a decently comfortable experience

gb2 kindergarden

I sit naked on leather every fucking day.
Shit's comfy as fuck.

t.ilikemyballsstickingtomychair
or
t.myballsaresosmalltheycantevenreachthechair

why is noone posting chairs without wheels
like are there no good chairs without wheels or what

take off the wheels
done

Have you tried losing weight

Nah, I just don't sit stewing in my own ball sweat. Personal hygiene and air conditioning FTW.

>putting sweat and ass juices in your chair

Justify a chair rated for 250KG +

>not showering every morning
>not keeeping you house at a comfortable 65 degrees

woa that's actually a good idea. Car seats are made to be used for long periods of time after all.
brb

>550 plus pounds

gastric bypass you clearly have no self control

I think I had to consult a structural engineer if I were to put that much weight on such a small floor area in my office for an extended period of time, so the chair would be the least of my problems

I'll keep using underwear, thanks.

Any full length chairs where the back and seat are meshed like OP's, but cheaper? All I seem to find are one or the other in cheap chairs.

You're only just hearing about this? Take a base from an old chair, get a car seat from a pick and pull, and slap them together with a sheet of plywood.

I've had to do this for a family in Knightsbridge (uk). I had to reinforce the beans supporting the floor, with the surrounding walls underneath (to stabilize the floor from swaying.

It was a family of four, who were all twice as obese as anyone i had ever seen.

>they didn't build a custom chair with comfy cushioning and unbreakable denim upholstery
cucks

I always slip off my chair because the fabric is some disgusting fake-leather that I hate.
What are the best fabrics for a comfy chair that can hold my butt?

>sitting on anything but a car's seat
What are you doing

What about arm rests?

user what the fuck just bike and watch anime in your room jesus christ you fat fuck.

I just took the ones from my old chair

>car's seat
>no wheels
>no rotation
>no reclining

Mine has;

>he cant diy

>they don't use their desktop pc IN their cars

>his desktop PC isn't also his car