/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
The HTC U11 Plus was originally intended to be the Google Pixel 2 XL
theverge.com/2017/11/2/16598218/google-pixel-2xl-htc-u11-plus-design-plans-change

A OnePlus 5T appears in the wild: small bezels! (photo)
twitter.com/Palmatoro_VG/status/926101866248900610

Review: Moto X4 revives the customizable brand with less options and more features [Video]
9to5google.com/2017/11/03/moto-x4-review/

HTC will make a 'noteworthy' return to dual-camera phones in 2018
engadget.com/2017/11/02/htc-dual-camera-phones-2018/

Razer Phone hands-on review
gsmarena.com/razer_phone_hands_on-review-1678.php

Sony Xperia XZ1 currently going for $590 in US ($110 discount)
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_currently_going_for_590_in_us_110_discount-news-28072.php

OPPO officially announces the R11s with 6-inch FHD+ display
gsmarena.com/oppo_officially_announces_the_r11s_with_6inch_fhd_display-news-28069.php

Android 8.1 update brings "perfectly smooth" scrolling
phonearena.com/news/Android-8.1-update-brings-perfectly-smooth-scrolling_id99445

old

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14341750
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2-review-1680.php
youtube.com/watch?v=4pBo-GL9SRg
wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
xiaomitool.com
quora.com/Which-is-better-Snapdragon-625-or-Snapdragon-650
youtube.com/watch?v=DW3pZjmS3rg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip#Snapdragon_600_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Only got my OP5 2 months ago, and its already been nerfed by the OP5T. I'm mad.

What’s the best dual sim card smartphone that is under $500 and isn’t asian brand?

Got my Pixel 2 XL on Halloween thinking that I'd get lucky with it, only for the fingerprint scanner to lock up until I reset the phone and the screen to have burn in six days in. Should I RMA it, or is there another phone with software this good and a camera this nice? Please send help

So right now T-Mobile's having a deal where you can get an LG G6 for free if you buy a V30. Sorely tempted by it, because then I could just sell the G6 for a pretty massive price cut on the V30.

Does Sup Forums hate the V30? From everything I read online, it seems like my perfect phone, what with the huge battery and big screen and expandable memory and FUCKING HEADPHONE JACK

what's a good android tablet with official lineageos support?
or should I just buy a phablet like the redmi 3 pro?

just get a new one on warranty? whats the issue? you got a bum one, get another one for free that doesnt have these problems

V30 looks great to me. You just might get a funny blotchy screen if you're unlucky. its no S8 screen.

Got my OP3T in April and now it's nearly 2 generations out of date.
Wtf is with this company?

>/spg/ is dead
Guess we should migrate to /csg/, half of the posts are about chinkphones anyway.

How likely is it that Mi 7 will be usable in USA?

When will note 5 will be launch?

probably on 11.11 or just before it because they want to push big volumes on singles day

Nice to hear it! Looking forward for this beast. I am intrigued by no REAL leaks until now.

I'm just guessing mate I am eyeing that shit too and the indian clickbait shit got on my nerves

Guys

fucking autists and their infinite quest for a perfect camera to take ugly stupid pictures.
Get rid of that phone mate, get your money back and move on. Want something similar to stock check on Sony or Motorola phones. Google is trying to out-Apple Apple, every year is worse and the amount of faggots reviewing the phone like Droid Life, PocketNow, technigger, Android Central, Android Authority, Verge and a lot more just brush off the fact that they all got royally fucked with an expensive phone that has subpar quality controlled hardware.

Still kickin' with my original Pixel, 128 GB.
Have Copperhead OS installed, with a few personal tweaks added into it. Daily driver, as secure as I'd need it, and reliable.

I dunno man, feels bad.

>le pro 3 is slowly dying
>don't want to buy a phone because 835 isn't sufficient improvement over 821
845 in china phones when

>see about ten different neckbeard ass ads for FFXV: A New Empire on youtube
>get new phone
>already prepacked with the game

Holy shit, I just can't get away from this game. is square banking everything they have behind this shitty mobile game?

Fingers crossed for a phone without issues this time! There's no issue with the warranty outside of the inconvenience, so I figured that I'd ask for alternatives.

I'm hideous and have a DSLR so it's not like I need the best camera out there, but is there anything wrong with wanting every aspect of a phone to be top notch? There's plenty of near stock phones, but I'm looking for one that's got killer performance to boot and support that won't drop the phone after a year. Is the XZ Premium the Sony phone to go for?

>a phone released just one year ago
>dying
how?

i have max 300e to spend on a phone (+ i live in a country where tech is about 20% more expensive then in EU countries)

I narrowed it to 3 phones
G5 Plus- im confused cause in store it says it has 3gb ram, on 1 website it says 2, on gsm arena it says 4gb.
Nexus6- i'd probably get used to its size, but it's 3yo phone already. Don't know how well it will age
Xiaomi Mi A1- i'd save some money here, but camera is shit. I know there is some software fix, but i don't know if i'm tech savy enough to do it

help

no idea but it's doing increasingly weird shit (buttons randomly stop working, very long delay on screen waking up sometimes)
it's my 2FA device so I'd rather replace it before it dies

that's why I never spend more than 150$ on a phone
the only exception was last year, a zuk z2 pro for 200$, it came with a defective battery, never again

Flash LOS.

G5+, there are multiple versions of it. if it's the 3GB/4GB RAM version, go for it.

If not, get the Mi A1.

Don't even think about the N6, it's a pile of shit by now.

Just bought a OP5. What do I install now for a ROM? Is just using stock ROM with op5 ok?

Nexus 4 master race reporting in.

5 years old and still working like the first day (only with a battery replacement).

Give me reasons to buy something newer.

I just replaced my Nexus 4 with a OP5. The n4 is slow and has shitty app support due to its age compared to newer devices. You should upgrade to a OP5T when they are released or go for one of the other chink phones that are recommended by Sup Forums.

Do phone prices lower on Black Friday? I really want to get a new phone, but I want to know if I should wait.

Actually, I was interested in the OP5, but I just can't find a reason to upgrade other than getting a better camera (battery life is not a problem for me).

What do you mean by shitty app support? I haven't found any problems yet.

newer phones have much better battery life/power efficiency

there's always sales on black friday but depends where you look. if you want a chink phone then aliexpress will have a sale definitely

Some apps like snapchat dont work properly and 'break' on the Nexus 4 due to its non physical buttons having a bug.

Galaxy A5 or Xiaomi MI A1? Both for about the same price.

Get a last year's flagship. The snapdragon 625 is shit compared to 820.

Keep using the stock rom, it's the best and the custom rom destroys the camera

Please help me decide.
I plan on using the phone for web browsing, watching movies and listening to music.

Thank you

strawpoll.me/14341750

Mi A1 runs stock Android, Galaxy A5 tuns Tou-- I mean "the Samsung Experience". Choose whatever you like more.

Thank you for the votes so far, please keep them coming!

this general was down for 25 hours and didn't get a reply till an hour after I posted it.

I'm sorry, what do you mean?
Did you reply the wrong person?

Mi A1 if it supports the bands of your carrier

nobody made a new general after 25 hours so I had to make one

thanks.
I'll call them tomorrow to see if it's 2 or 3gig version.

If not, i'll save some money and buy new headphones for difference

Anyone try out the mi note 3 yet? Or is it too much at that price point (~400 buckaronies)?

Dropped my Samsung note4 in the toilet last night. had it for 3 years, i am very sad.

what new phone should I get? I really liked the 1440p screen and multi-window. Don't need a stylus again though.

S8+

S8+
If that's too expensive then S7 edge is good too, also has water resistance for toilet drops.

S8+ looks nice,

what do you guys think of the unlocking from the back though? looks kinda inconvenient.

Been using Nexus 6 since it was released, 3-4 years ago I think. Awesome phone, had zero issues with it. It's starting to show its age though. I wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it brand new for very cheap.

I just use the good ol pattern method I don't really care about the fingerprint scanner. Tho I use it sometimes for my Bank Of America app and other banking apps which is neat.

I'm just leaving this here: gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2-review-1680.php
>posted 10 minutes ago

Someone convince me not to get the XZ1, Like literally there is nothing that dissuades me
>Headphone jack
>micro sd slot
>1080
I wanted the nokia 8, but this is nearly identical in specs to it

>But bezels,
Nigga I am just gonna watch youtube videos and basic apps on it.
>But muh camera
I am not a camgirl who goes 24/7 on snapchat. Cause 1, I am fucking hideous.... there is no 2.

I would argue the nokia will get better support.

It already has Oreo with more future updates on the way. Z4 is still being supported as well. I think my prospects look good.

Its less about whether the sony gets the updates and more about when, I am not saying they are bad but I think nokia are pushing to get them out in better time. Personally I like the xperias I just cant justify getting one.

Weird question here.

I've been using some specific ROM on my Moto G4 that hasn't been getting updates for quite some time. The thing is it's as stable as it gets and it's fairly fast, doesn't have any flaws other than being dated.

That hasn't been the case in quite a few ROMs like Resurrection Remix, LOS, ViperOS, Invicta or crDroid. Tired of either getting poor performance, some applications not giving me notifications often, having random stuff force close for no reason or getting random reboots, I have to wonder, what makes them ROMs, which are mostly similar with the exception of a few features, sometimes really minimal, have all these issues?

Is it the kernel itself? All I know is that the ROM I was using that had no problems at all used the CAF kernel. Not sure if I have to look for anything CAF.

the bezels are shit on all Sony phones

Hey /spg/. I bought a Mi 5X the other day for my aunt. I believe it runs International ROM. At first I thought it was the exact same as Global, just different name, but it turns out it is not. Do I have to ask Xiaomi for the unlock code to install Global ROM on it? If so, what is the process behind it? I assume there must be some tutorials out there.

The "English and Chinese only" thing is a deal breaker for my aunt, unfortunately.

Replaced my galagxy S7 with an iPhone 8 Plus and I’m never looking back. Fuck Android.

i can get it for 300e brand new.
I think i made up my mind.
i have a shop where i can get g5 plus for 275e, but it's most likely 2gb ram version. if its not i'll take it
if it is, i'll get xiaomi, save me 50e, but i'll get shit camera that i'll try to fix

1 last question. Is g5 plus battery life much better then xiaomi mi a1?

Yo who remembers the Lenovo ZUK Z2? I've been browsing /spg/ for like a year now. It used to get suggested so much on here that the term "ZUK Shill" was a thing. I wish I had that phone. It truly is a beast. But I had to make do with a Redmi Note 4 cause ZUK Z2 isn't available where I am. For anyone wondering it's still a good buy for 2017.

It had a terrible overheating problem people seem to dismiss. Don't know why

What if you don't mind the bezels?

enjoy ur shitty 2k mAh battery on lagOS

Can anything (useful) be done with an old unlocked Lumia 920?

SOMEONE HELP!

I have a Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro special edition. I've had it for about a year. The battery on it is incredible (4050mAH).

Recently, however, my cousin got himself a Xiaomi redmi note 4 Global version with 4000mAH. The redmi note 4 comes with a smaller battery and a slower processor (625 Snapdragon) in comparison to the note 3 pro 650 Snapdragon.

His battery life is clearly better than mine. He was on Facebook video chat the other day for over half an hour and I swear to god, without auto brightness, he lost 1-2% battery life. He then went to bed and left the phone on standby for 10-12 hours only losing another 1% and I browse his phone periodically throughout the day (no percentage loss).

In comparison, I can maybe squeeze a 10 minute YouTube video on auto brightness and use 1%. Overnight, I use up maybe 3-4% on standby.

Am I just being overly conscious or has my battery slightly depreciated?

His had better efficiency to start with
PLUS
your battery has deprecated

Just accept it, buddy
youtube.com/watch?v=4pBo-GL9SRg

Is it worth it to move from the OP5 to OP5T when it comes out? From what I see its probably the same insides but with a nicer screen? Maybe they'll fix the OIS

What do you mean better efficiency?

I just lost 2% browsing Clover in 9-10 minutes with 4G.

Look it up on the LineageOS device wiki.

wiki.lineageos.org/devices/

Or try XDA for unofficial builds.

well lets start with what does the word "efficiency" means, then if you read it in context with the rest of the sentence it should make sence

You don't know anything about Xiaomi phones, do you?

I have a RN3P too. Flash LineageOS and see your battery life improving significantly.

If you want to install the official global ROM for your device then I suggest looking into the Xiaomi Tool.

xiaomitool.com

Site looks shady but I used that tool on my Mind Note 2 with no problems.

The processor is more battery efficient despite the milliamp hour difference. D'uh

quora.com/Which-is-better-Snapdragon-625-or-Snapdragon-650

It says you still need an unlock code binded to your Xiaomi account. Is that true?

Got an honor 9 how fucked am I?

Wtf but I'm not using it for intensive games.

Does 14nm really make that big of a difference?

fuck off retard. yes technology makes a difference

Forget games
For just normal low powered stuff,
the 650 will use slightly more power than the 625

Like I said though, let it go
You can't go through life caring about these tiny things
Close your eyes and let it go
youtube.com/watch?v=DW3pZjmS3rg

Only if you want to install third party ROMs based on MIUI.

I switched from Global Stable to Global Dev using that tool before I unlocked my device

What about International to Global? Any idea? If you don't know, it's ok. Thanks anyway.

Ok, thanks :)

Besides the 625 and 650, what are the best snapdragons to get on a Xiaomi phone?

Run the tool and it will tell you which ROMs you can install.

It will show you a selection of ROMs. Green means you can install right away, red means you need to unlock your phone.

Get it! Great phone!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qualcomm_Snapdragon_systems-on-chip#Snapdragon_600_series

What's the best custom rom to use on an S8?

What phone should I get?
300usd budget, only smart phone shit I use is Spotify and messenger softwares. Dont play mobile game or use social media.
Good camera and battery are what Im looking for.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 4GB/64GB Global Edition

Moto E4 Plus
Moto G5
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G5S
Moto G5S Plus

one of these

Wat?

>XZ Premium
maybe, even if Sony makes some stupid choices every now and then, they at least made their software more accesible and even made it easier to be rooted if you wanted. Same with updates, with every phone after the Z3 they've gotten better at delivering updates or releasing preview roms.
I also recommended you one of the Motorola phones because I know there's at least one of the new models that has a decent camera, good battery life and the software was always near stock and with great features like the notifications.
Seriously, fuck Google, they own a huge ass company and they fuck up the hardware on an overpriced piece of shit phone. I'm annoyed when reading people making up excuses for that shit, they are worse than apple faggots

Was it dumb of me to get a XZ1 Compact for $500? It came with $50 BestGoy gift card.

I mean I got it for $550