/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1794416
biosimage.booru.org/
minifree.org/product/libreboot-t400/
support.lenovo.com/jp/th/downloads/migr-74261
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>drop ultrabook in the desert
>sand gets in the keyboard, making typing impossible

lmao

How difficult is upgrading an X61t from the stock 1024x768 display to the 1400x1050 one?

post custom thinkpad BIOS logos

Very difficult. Do not attempt unless you're a trained professional.

What is the cheapest thinkpad?

Made a thread about it but will probably die anyway so I will ask here:

Spilled beer on x240. Now some keys ( qwedsa, Esc, Ctrl ) don't work. I am wandering is there a point in taking it apart? I mean I don't have neither replacement keyboard not to mention motherboard ( if controller is broken and I am royally fucked ). Have anyone encountered a situation when simple cleaning with for example high proof alcohol did the trick? Is there even such a chance that it's only some sticky stuff to remove?

>order x60 to libreboot
>receive x61

Fucking NIGGERS!

Order 5 bios locked x61 swap in x60 motherboards in two of them.

Seriously just swap an x60s motherboard into the fucker. Better battery life and easy desu.

What
is
the
best
thinkpad
for
gayming?

Unfortunately in the United Kingdom x60/s motherboards are, including shipping, about double the price of the x61s themselves. It is a serious annoyance. The problem is the same with the T60.

x41

what about chinese ones with free shipping from ebay or aliexpress

If I were do buy an used X220/30 how much time is it going to last me before breaking? Someone has had bad experiences?

Take keyboard out. Wash in distilled water (soak it), then towel dry and put in rice. Wait a day. Either it works or you need a new keyboard.

There are lots of cheap ones for $100 on eBay, just pick your single most important thing to have and that will dictate the model.

The one with the most powerful gpu.

I've just bought a new 44++ battery (which stayed on a shelf for 4 years) for my X220, but it won't charge. I did pressed power for 10 times and 30 secs the 11th, still nothing.
TL,DR how to revive a seemingly dead battery

IBM transnote.

Also check out my sweet dual monitor gaming rig.
That sucks desu, you might be able to trade it for a normal x60 desu.

Also buying a x60s motherboard gives a pretty decent battery life extension. That may or may not be worth it.
I need to buy 5 or 6 at a time for less then 100 dollars desu.

/tpg/ is it really never worth it to buy a new thinkpad? i want a device with kaby lake or better, am i better off buying something else for the same price i would spend on a t470??

Thanks for the tip user.

>t420s one year anniversary in December.
What can I do for my thinkpad to celebrate?
Already have an ssd and 16gb's of ram, was thinking of adding another ssd instead of the cd-rom drive, also what can I do about the left speaker cover, it's really messy, might buy a new keyboard and swap it out, although not sure about the quality, planning on using it for another 4 years if possible.

fhd or wqhd mod

>what about chinese ones with free shipping from ebay or aliexpress
Ebay is where I was already looking already. I'll check aliexpress. Thanks user.
>That sucks desu, you might be able to trade it for a normal x60 desu.
I contacted the seller and informed them they'd sold me the wrong Thinkpad model, told them why that is problematic for me, and requested they send me an X60 in return. It's a shame because this unit is in perfect condition. I might have to just look for a replacement motherboard for it.

Good luck desu

>Mom plans on giving me a business laptop for Christmas
>Told me it's an HP (probably a ProBook) with an AMD Athlon II X2
How fucked am I?

Wow. What is this picture? Do you know?

why the x60 is compatible for libre yet x61 is not?

>the DO inside

Sounds like a pajeet telling a woman he wants to fuck.

No desu, I saw it on r9k a while back.
Athlon II X2 seems better then a core duo.

Inb4 dv6000.

Just got this bad boy yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

Seems to be in pretty good shape
eBay?

I think the dv6000 is a Pavilion model, not a ProBook model.

Yeah its a HP pavilion, I just mentioned it because it is the quint essential awful HP.

Is the T470 screen that bad. All the reviews I've read have been saying its a major problem in an otherwise optimal laptop?

Want a laptop to do simple tasks but fast enough, it will be connected a 1080p TV sometimes for watching chinese cartoons and movies, also the most demanding thing will be playing some league of legends matches from time to time. Are the Intel HDs good enough for running league at stable 60fps in medium settings?. Saw a review of guy playing on a X220 at not stable 60fps since he was recording as well. Which would be the best thinkpad for these tasks?

Maybe consider a dell m4700 or m6700, those were what I was looking at when I was considering a desktop replacement. I ended up going with a dual Xeon workstation instead though.

I don't know how demanding league is but these computers have dedicated GPUs.

>his Thinkpad doesnt have the IBM logo
There’s already a chinkshit general, anons.

Finally finished this Thinkpad!

Apparently the X220 does alright with that game
> I have a thinkpad x220 with Core i5-2540 and 8 gb of ram. I get 60 fps with everything on highest (except shadow, never tried) but my resolution is 1280 x 720.

forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1794416

My countries version of ebay. 4 gigs of ram, 320 gigs hdd, 9 cell battery and impeccable condition, all for $180.

Should I get a 3840qm for my t530? Atm I have a 3520m but I use virtual machines a decent amount of the time for the the occasional windows program or for classes.

Is it worth it to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb or is the price not worth it atm.

What is a good guide for the t420 replacement.

P71 fully upgraded.

If found a W520 for about 350 online. Should I go for it?

I guess it depends what you want it for. To me a 6 hour battery life isn't acceptable.

just go on ebay
search thinkpad
filter by price
and buy everything thats not spare parts

>no biosbooru
biosimage.booru.org/

wrong.
701c

reviewers go through hundreds of screens and have a lot to compare against
have you gone through hundreds of screens?

its not worth a dgpu desu

oh shit
how much has it been?

I got one (x41) on ebay for 32.5€, but the battery is substandard and I absolutely hate the qwertz layout without a superkey. 1GB ram and 40 GB HD is a bit restraining, but manageable. All in all, I'd recommend not trying to find the cheapest possible device, since if you're not playing with money, you'll be paying with time and patience.

>Should I get a 3840qm for my t530?
sure you could benefit from the extra threads
>Is it worth it to upgrade from 8gb to 16gb
dont know ram prices now but depends on the smoothness of your vm
>What is a good guide for the t420 replacement
what?

90% of the time my x220 won't turn on when I press the power button, the fuck is going on

Look what came in the mail /tpg/

A mattress

I've gotten x61 for 14 dollars a unit.

i have a t420 with w10 and the taskbar and the system in general is incredibly unresponsive, sometimes freezes up for a full minute before becoming fine again

supposed to have an i5 and 4gb ram

what's the issue here

install gentoo

Check your startup processes

This came in a few days ago.

Freeze it, hit it with a hammer. No joke.

you're so lucky

There all bios locked desu. So far I've swapped 4 x60 motherboard's I'm rather quick at it now.

you could buy the bios unlocker tool and just sell them
you could easily turn a profit

t420 here

my volume on screen display on windows 7 isn't showing when i turn the volume up or down.

my disc drive keeps turning on, trying to read a disc. I think it's not in all the way.

how do I fix?

get a touchpad sticker

If I were to do some web development and some apps for Android, which thinkpad would you recommend?

any one can please know answer tfor this?

Picture to follow.

My uncle is going to kill his kids. They pried the keys off of most of my aunt's e7470 and some of his t520, and I'm wondering: The latitude likely just needs a new keyboard, but where can I get t520 keys+brackets for dirt cheap?

I'm on an x220 that I just replaced a broken power port on running arch. Wireless card was working fine before taking it apart and now computer doesn't see the card at all. It isn't listed in lspci or in iw dev.

The card didn't quite want to go back in all the way and took slightly more pressure to reattach than I'd like but it didn't feel like way too much pressure.
Is there a good way to troubleshoot this aside from buying another card and hoping that works and that it's not my motherboard?

>in the desert
>use all of my distilled water to clean my thinkpad
>die of dehydration

easier to just to buy a new keyboard

What happens if I put more storage capacity than the system allows? it will get bottlenecked or just do not recognize it?

Wireless LAN is enabled in bios. It's hard to get a good angle on the port but the right side does look off to me. I may be in the market for another x220 to transfer my shit to.

Hi, I want to buy the perfect laptop to run a Bitcoin full node as a wallet, which means I need top security. I was considering:

minifree.org/product/libreboot-t400/

8GB and 1TBB

at current blockchain growth I should be ok and I can always connect external ones.

I just want to know if this is the best option. Also, can I trust whoever configured Trisquel or should I format it and install it myself?

Also considering it's a laptop, should I use wifi or connect it to the rj45 cable?

The next step should be buying another airgapped laptop for offline raw transactions but that's for another time.

Too much money but it is pretty fast.

Dunno if serious or not. Will post results tomorrow

what book is that from user?

LTSB

Install this
support.lenovo.com/jp/th/downloads/migr-74261
and disable ultrabay from bios if you don't need the disc reader

The Sovereign Individual, predicted Bitcoin in 1997.

Help I have a T440P running Windows 7 and I'm stuck in a bootloop I don't know what to do

It shows the Thinkpad logo then an underscore appears on a black screen and it goes back to the thinkpad logo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

Install Thinkpad.

No really I need help this is the only computer I have

Should I buy this x230 for 205 bucks (pic related). No battery tho

no it has keyboard aids

that one jew who cracked des was talking about it in the 80s

protip: you're not running windows 7 anymore. Install Gentoo.

>205
You can get two and frankenpad them for less than that if you cruise ebay

Is W530 with K2000M for 499 USD a good deal?

well, i did check it but the shipping rates are kinda high.

Go to library, use one of their comps to make a GNU/Linux bootdisk. Delete files afterwards so nobody knows you run illegal hacker operating systems.

so /tpg/ - apparently my P71 with the latest realtek/alcor card reader driver installed can only read MMC cards but not SD/SDXC/SDHC. Any ideas on how to fix? SD cards work on other laptops and USB SD reader.

what are optimal trackpoint sensitivity settings?

classic dome here

Anyone have the 2nd gen thinkpad 13? How do you like it? I want a new laptop that has at least 13"x1920x1080 resolution and at least 12 hours battery life. I was looking at the thinkpad 13 with the fhd multi touch screen and 8gb ram. The total is like $620 with whatever current sale theyre running. What similar models would I be able to snatch up on black friday for

Why can't I run Touhou 6 on my T60? It's a 32-bit program, right? Tried XP and 7.

You did good user i got one 6 months ago best lenovo I've owned

>support.lenovo.com/jp/th/downloads/migr-74261
reinstalled but still doesn't work for some reason

you have aids, faggot

where are you? 205 is high