FreeBSD

Can someone redpill me on FreeBSD?
Is it like GNU/Linux but with less packages, a fancy file system and different license?
Is there amy reason to use it on a desktop instead of my GNU/Linux distro?

No it's not like gnu/linux but it can run linux
applications natively. It has much more packages
than debian. You should use it if the advantages
outweigh the disadvantages.

it has ZFS

It's like using GNU+Linux if all the bad things Pajeet says about GNU+Linux were true.

Different kernel, different userland and init. If you don't understand that, nod and smile, and install what you want from the ports tree, and pretend it's a Linux distro without as many stupid questions on stack overflow

install gentoo XD

Try it in a VM. I've got it on an old pc atm but it's not as polished as linux.

Ports are nice. Python defaults to 2.7 which is annoying and required tinkering to fix, changing the default version made some ports management tools unusable.

It's an interesting OS but not a daily driver.

>linux
>polished
if that's polished than FreeBSD must be a complete dumpster fire.

I think that user is thinking of ready packaged desktop environments. Nothing worthwhile you get to do on Linux can't be done on BSD. It's just that they don't have a bunch of premade configs die morons.

>it's not as polished as linux
are you fucking kidding me?
linux is a fucking clusterfuck
>if that's polished than FreeBSD must be a complete dumpster fire
it's exactly the other way around

What exactly do you want to use it for?

it's a comfy as fuck _server_ OS imo
I have it running ZFS and smb / nfs / iscsi as my main storage box.

why is it not a comfy desktop OS iyo?

can't say I have a reason other than I've not known it to be used as a desktop OS, which may not mean anything but if no one uses it as a desktop OS / it's not billed as a desktop OS, it's probably not a great desktop OS (though I'm sure you can install a DE and use it as one)
I just wouldn't, there are plenty of other distros available that gear themselves towards being a linux / unix desktop OS

I've used it on a laptop
it's as much a desktop OS as any other linux distro that leaves you with no more than a base system upon installation

is it actually decent as a daily driver then?

only if you're not a retard
if you can use debian or arch as a daily driver, you can use freebsd as a daily driver

i use freebsd in kvm with libvirt

then pass through the scsi devices so i have zfs on the disks.

bhyve isn't nearly as useful as qemu/kvm so that right there is a deal breaker as the bare metal os

well then, I stand corrected

anyone tried to run supercollider and csound with that? I wanted to try a BSD for a while but they don't seem ready to use for autistic niche stuff like that

unfortunately this, desu

also I wish pajeet would leave this board but I know it will never happen

t. pajeet