Linux for Dummies

Ok Sup Forums

please be so kind and explain some of us consumer only dummies how linux works.
i myself always used win and mostly and currently win 7 still. sometimes iOS in university
soo please explain the benefits and all the stuff unsarcasticly so we can understand.
Maybe i will dual boot linux on my dell laptop one day

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Linux-Command-Line-Complete-Introduction/dp/1593273894
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first of all, do a dual boot please. If you want to use linux, you will have a transition period, so keep windows handy at all times, you don't want to end up doing work that requires windows and all you have is. So, linux, in most distros, is like windows. It has a graphical interface and a desktop that you interact with to perform tasks. It has icons, menus, and drop downs just like anyother OS. The catch is that for alot of the deeper stuff (installing programs, which are packages instead of .exe files, changing some deeper settings, and optomizing for your hardware) is all done through command lines, like in DOS or command prompt on windows. This is more or less prevelant depending on the distro (vernacular for version, or distrobution) that you chose. You may not notice a functional difference between windows and linux until you experience a problem.
PART ONE OVER PART TWO COMING SOON

PART FUCKING TWO
So when picking a distro it really depends on what you're doing, Personally i use Ubuntu Mate, the desktop is clean, customizable, and efficient. Also UMate comes with a nifty software boutique so you can easily download and install whatever programs you need without the hassle of command lines and scouring the web for help. But there's others:
Kali is for hackers and net security types
red hat seems to be for creative types
elementary os seems to be for total beginners (its still in beta though)
arch is for braggarts
what distro you want depends on what kind of desktop environment you want and what tasks you'll be doing.
For school and every day use, go with ubuntu, ubuntu mate, elementary os, or mint.
PART THREE COMING SOON, SHIT

first u trun on the compputefr ten u see a screen like hm
UBUNTU
WINDOWS
then u press key like
the arrow idk lol
u can get into linux rly easy just try it

I do have to make one correction to this part. RedHat is actually more of an Enterprise Server distro. Many websites you visit are likely running on some version of Redhat.

yeah pretty much this, although I personally was too much of a brainlet to dualboot anything without fucking up when I started, if I were in your shoes I'd try to get a spare machine to try it without borking my daily driver. Besides that Linux performs pretty well on old hardware

>red hat seems to be for creative types
Hahahahahaha what the fuck? It's an enterprise distro for businesses to run their servers and shit.
>arch is for braggarts
yeah

What you basically forgot to mention though is that the only real difference between these distros is that there is no difference between Linux distros, except the default desktop they ship with and the package manager they use. And the default desktop, you can usually change pretty easily in each distro. And I guess some of them come with different programs pre-installed, but those are all pretty easy to install.

Then there's gentoo, for the true wizard who will never touch or speak to a woman. I like it

PART THREE...MY HANDS HURT
so once you've got your distro the benefits become clear quickly; there's hardly any optomization that needs done on most laptops. Just customize your desktop (mine looks like a mac cuz its pretty) and install some kind of package manager to mage uninstalling easier and your pretty much good to go. Especially with Ubuntu Mate which comes with libre office, you can download audacity from the boutique along with a photo editor, video editor, mp3 manager, and emulators if i remember correctly. all with the press of a button. IN UBUNTU MATE REMEMBER. I've never used regular ubuntu. I have used lubuntu, which is similiar to mate in the aesthetics but it's much better for slower machines. Fire fox comes preinstalled on pretty much all of them.
In the end it's an os, it exists to help you perform tasks.

Thank you alot

anytime. I noticed no one else really explains things well on this board. It needed to happen sometimes. I thank the other Sup Forumsuys that corrected me, though.

It works like this:
1. You start off with Ubuntu
2. You fall for Sup Forums memes saying Ubuntu is too mainstream and gay, so you opt for Debian instead.
3. After using Debian for awhile you realize you're not getting enough Sup Forums points for using it. So you opt for Arch instead.
4. At this point you've been using Linux for about a month now and realize It's really not that great.
5. You finally realize all Linux DE's are fucking shit, and you switch back to Windows.

I thank you for actually explaining and being helpful on this board. On the redhat part, yeah it's definitely a server/enterprise OS. If you ever need to run a server or some shit like that, give CentOS a try. It's the free version of Redhat.

But what is advtange of using LINUX over WINBOT for a regular user ? Also is linux mint good for beginer ?

amazon.com/Linux-Command-Line-Complete-Introduction/dp/1593273894

This is a great start. Learn the Command Line. It will give you a sense of power like no other, and you be on your way to wizardom assuming you haven't had your mana stolen yet.

>It's the free version of Redhat
I thought that was Fedora? I'm so confused

dumb meme, after realizing that literally every operating system on the planet is better than Windows, you can't go back

For me it went:
1. You start with Ubuntu and CentOS because dad wanted me to know how to use GNU/Linux
2. Don't really care for it, don't touch it for months
3. Snowden shit happens. Freak out and learn to love GNU/Linux
4. Discover Arch, fall in love.
5. Continue using it till I started browsing Sup Forums
6. Get redpilled by someone and realize that Debian minimal install exists.
7. Using that now.

Elementary (if your ok with a beta) is pretty hard to "break". Also mint is fine, any of them are fine really. Ubuntu mate just puts everything you need front and center but just like windows, you can just download and install whatever you need from the web anyway.

This. Windows is the worst OS out there.

>but video games!
Grow up.

what is debian minimal install?

Someone will probably correct me on this, but I think redhat is based on Fedora. Fedora has releases very often, and is super up to date. I think it might be considered the testing ground for what ends up in Redhat?
Redhat/CentOS is super stable, and thus is more suited to real-world server use.

As a begginer you can go with Mint, Ubuntu and Manjaro. All are pretty friendly and very good choices.
Biggest advantages on my oppinion are the open sourced programs and applications that won't require you to pay anything to get the best tool you want or having to find a 3rd party alternative. Also, full controll over your machine and great customizability.

Linux is free and lightweight. So an old or a piece of shit laptop can be revitalized by linux. also the sercurity is better (mostly because hackers don't have their eyes on us but still) however most programs are for windows, for example, if you're a big gamer dual boot or stay away. You will lose half your library easy. Linux is good for work, tasks, and speed. But alot of your software may not carry over.

A debian install that literally just installs the bare minimum: After the installer you just get dropped to a TTY commandline, and you then configure everything on your own, exactly how you like it. It's not relevant to most people, but if you really care about manually setting up everything to your exact autistic preferences, it's nice.

There seems to be this perception among Windows users than GNU/Linux distros are hard to use, but that's just not true, especially if you use Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which are pretty much designed for ease of use. Stop worrying about it and just try a distro. You'll find plenty of info online to get you started, and you can always ask questions.

This. Some people see linux and think of something like I mentioned here when that is not the case for almost every distro. If you use Ubuntu, or Mint, you're going to end up with a pretty user-friendly experience.
Ubuntu's slogan even used to be "Linux for human beings"

>implying autists aren't human
GET OUT NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>red hat seems to be for creative types
I think you're confusing RHEL with Fedora.

can we let the mint meme die? Its got shit security, and bad program naming practices.
Better off with Ubuntu and cinnamon

This. And wine is shit for gaymes.

From absolute zero, you need to know whether your computer runs on 32 or 64 bit to install the appropriate version.
Try it on a virtual machine like virtualbox.
Backup your files before you install on your computer.
When you finally install it forget about distros and go for the easy choice.
Stuff you do on Windows can be done in GNU/Linux, but with the difference you might don't have the program to do it so you need to know what to install.
There is a program for each and everyone of your needs, even if you have to install parts of it. Take AcetoneISO for example, or better yet, xbindkeys with some macro recorder.

Friendly list of GNU/Linux software for winrefugees.

Chat, Voip (skype and others): Pidgin
RSS Feeds (can view and organize Youtube channels): Liferea
IRC: HexChat
Backup (file synchronization): Unison
System Backup: Systemback
Batch renamer: GPRename
File search: ANGRYsearch
Duplicate files removal: dupeGuru
Drawing: Krita
Image Editing (a.k.a. "photoshoping"): GIMP
Ebook Viewer: Okular
Image viewer, organizer, basic editing and video previewer: GThumb
Music Tags and metadata: Easytag
Music Player: DeaDBeeF, or Audacious with a Winamp skin
Media Center (online radio, watch and download tv shows and movies): Kodi (XBMC)
Video Player: VLC
Video editing: Cinelerra-cv or OpenShot
Video Transcoding: Handbrake
Video compositing: Natron
Screencasting: Open Broadcaster Studio
Password manager: KeePassX
Laptop powersaving: PowerTOP
Office Suite: WPS Office, or LibreOffice
Desktop publishing (like a pro): Scribus
Document processor (academic papers): LyX
Flashcards: Anki
Graphing calculator: GraphMonkey
Counter RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury): Workrave
Typing training: Klavaro
System monitor: Conky, GKrellM or HardInfo
Manage startup services: BUM
Virtual Machine: Virtualbox
To launch photoshop and play games: WINE ( + Wine Staging), with winetricks and playonlinux
DOS emulator: DOSBox
Commodore emulator: VICE
XBox emulator: XQEMU
Multiple gaming platforms: Mednafen, Higan
Nintendo: Dolphin, Mupen64Plus, DeSmuME
Sega: Reicast, Yabause, Exodus
Playstation: PCSX
OS X: Darling
Download Manager (download videos from youtube and other streaming and file sharing sites): JDownloader
Torrent: Transmission-gtk
Burning CD/DVD: Xfburn
File Manager: PCManFM
File manager featured in Jurassic Park: fsv (File System Visualizer)
Web Browser: IceCat. Secure by default, has firefox addons. Disable the LibreJS addon because it can be annoying for noobs.
Accounting: GnuCash. So you can keep track of the bucks you are saving when using free software.

Updates: on linux the package manager is not only responsible for updating the OS but every program you have installed, and it is a lot faster and requires reboots less frequently.

Filesystem: as linux uses modern filesystems it can go years of normal usage without defragmenting the disk, that means it doesn't slow your PC down from time to time and extends the life of your hdd/ssd

Costumization: you can change anything on your system, even things you never thought you could change.

Lightweight: it can run on almost anything and by itself consumes almost no resources.

SSH: if you know your way around a terminal you can use a linux machine from any device with a network connection like if you were there.

Control: you are the one who decides what your system does, when it does it, and how it does it.

And the list goes on.

Thanks , saved the list

literally check in virtualbox (there are a lot of guides on how to install guest additions to make things run smoothly, vmware makes things even simpler) and make your own opinions. or dual boot , but most idiots format their windows install, or forget that you have to restore windows bootloader after removing the linux partition

1. Package manager: much easier to install and update programs as well the OS. You also rarely have to restart for updates. Everything on the entire computer can be updated with a single command
2. Fast and lightweight. Will run faster on old hardware.
3. not a botnet and doesn't spy on you

Honestly just the fact it isn't windows is enough reason to use it. Windows is god awful in every way except for the fact that everyone makes their software for it because of it's market share.

Far better security, no privacy concerns, infinitely smarter and easier way of managing applications, libraries and the such (i.e. with a package manager). Contrary to the memes, Linux is really good with drivers too. 9 times out of 10, when you plug in a phone, printer, or whatever else device it'll just werk, whereas in Windows you often have to go hunting for specific drivers. Things like adb are right in the repository, so you don't have to go fetch some XDA half-assed bullshit. Things are just more elegant in Linux.

For the love of god don't go mint. They don't give a single fuck about security (their site got hacked and an infected iso was uploaded, and they have been removing upstream security patches because they break on their ghetto Frankenstein distro), their DE is dated, and their logo is shit. Literally just go Ubuntu and remove the Amazon thing from the launcher.

I would say "wow, that's a terrible fucking list" but at the same time there's not much out there.

>For the love of god don't go mint. They don't give a single fuck about security (their site got hacked and an infected iso was uploaded, and they have been removing upstream security patches because they break on their ghetto Frankenstein distro), their DE is dated, and their logo is shit. Literally just go Ubuntu and remove the Amazon thing from the launcher.
for fucks sake. time to rebuild then? im a mouthbreather but enjoying the linux experience so far.

Try out Kubuntu and if you like it then install it. It's really that simple. It as a graphical installer, updater, and app store built in so you don't have to ever touch the command line if you don't want to. It has decent software support for everything except games and Adobe software, but for image editing at home there's Krita which will cover the needs of 99% of non-professional use cases. For browsers there's the usual Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, Opera, etc. and for office stuff there's Libre Office and other stuff. If you update your system every couple months you'll never get malware, since the last ransomeware attack targeted Linux systems that were 10 years out of date and Windows systems that were a couple months out of date. The experience is usually pretty stable with Ubuntu but you can have problems with it, so ask the community. There's also Mint which is supposed to be a more stable version of Ubuntu but I haven't really used it.

TLDR - costs nothing and it's secure and easy to use