/hrt/ - Hardware Removal-of-botnet Thread

ITT we discuss botnet-free computers

Findings so far
SOCs:
Beagle and some allwinners are free except for GPU accel
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
LowRISC is an upcoming SOC running on RISC-V
lowrisc.org/

Desktops: Lots of C2Ds and atoms here, but there's also very nice opterons and an iMac
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#desktops-amd-intel-x86
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#serversworkstations-amd-x86
As escaping x86 may be our only long term solution, try TALOS II, which is OpenPOWER. It's quite expensive though.
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

Laptops: You're stuck with the usual C2D memepads and such for now.
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/#laptops-intel-x86
Purism isn't libre, and may be bullshit artists according to this board, but they seem to have a roadmap that leads to Libreboot
puri.sm/learn/freedom-roadmap/
Here is a project for a Libre PowerPC laptop, shooting for RYF certification.
powerpc-notebook.org/faq/
2005 Powerbooks: OpenFirmware, powerpc architecture. Be warned: only 2GB of DDR2 ram max!

Other urls found in this thread:

pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1060195
pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1060196
cavium.com/ThunderX_ARM_Processors.html
libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
mobile.twitter.com/Snowden/status/837367956229206016
yro.slashdot.org/story/17/07/19/1459244/amd-has-no-plans-to-release-psp-code
youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/only-a-short-time-left-to-pre-order-the-talos-ii-pre-orders-end-september-15th
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

HRT is the perfect acronym for this faggy tranny bullshit general

Thanks. I thought it made a lot of sense. People on Sup Forums talk about sissy shit like programming socks, the lead dev of libreboot is a tranny, Sup Forums likes traps, etc.

This is only acceptable if you remove all the libreboot links and nobody mentions it in the thread. there are other projects alike to be promoting that shit from that mentally unstable tranny

How likely is there to be any malicious functionality in hardware and its firmware on Thinkpads from 2006? I have an x60 and a t60 but I don't want to install Libreboot. I know the c2d chips are clean, but what else may potentially be of concern?

That's actually part of what I wanted to discuss. The old Libreboot memepads and AMD servers are certainly an option, but with the x220 hack not looking all that likely, and AMD flat out refusing to open their shit up, it seems like alternative architectures may be something to look at, especially since distros such as Debian, Fedora, and Sup Forumsentoo support a lot of them.

Any thoughts on ARM? I think there may be some possibilities there.

Linux Chromebooks

Is the process really as clean as
open the thing up
unscrew the screw
internally flash
install loonix of choice?

Because if so... I never thought i'd say this in a million fuckin years, but I think I might be getting a chromebook for my next laptop

Yes it is that simple. I installed GalliumOS on a Chromebook that way.

hime isn't a tranny

Sweet! I mean I think that pretty much solves laptops. We have the old x86 C2D machines, the upcoming RYF powerpc laptop, and ARM unjewgled chromebooks.

For a server, which hasn't been brought up at all aside from repurposing old AMD boards, I found these on that PogoLinux site that Bryan Lunduke shills a lot.
pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1060195
pogolinux.com/quotes/editsys?sys_id=1060196
They use Cavium ThunderX
cavium.com/ThunderX_ARM_Processors.html
ARM? on a server? with 96 fucking cores? holy fuck...

Are Raptor CPUs suitable for gayming?

How the fuck is it possible that the only way to get a non-botnet laptop is buying one from a botnet company?
Fucking think about it.

Because they're not a hardware company and you're throwing out all their software.

Non Pro Ryzen CPUs and APUs do not have the PSP. Its fused off, and cannot be enabled. Only the business oriented Pro SKUs have it functional.

Fool me once...

The ultimate removal of botnet is just turning off the internet.

You could be a retard and shitpost like a human NPC capable of only regurgitating a set script of meme responses, or you could educate yourself on what the TrustZone coprocessor actually does.

Its the same on Carrizo/Bristol Ridge chips. If you try to load the driver and firmware stack for it nothing happens, because its fused off. Only available for Pro SKUs.

Sure they say it's fused off so it must be true

what do i do with my new t420

AMD is safe pre-2013

This. The process I talked about here is essentially reflashing coreboot and getting rid of ChromeOS. What you're left with is an unjewgled Chromebook.

Well you can't libreboot it, but you CAN Coreboot it, which is the next best thing. As for what advantage this has, aside from limiting the amount of botnet, is you can actually install ivybridge CPUs into that thinkpad, where normally it would only accept sandybridge.

This. Pre-2013 they didn't have the PSP, which is why the corebootable or librebootable boards from them are before then.

Wrong.
Here's libreboot asking for AMD to open up their platform, including the PSP.
libreboot.org/amd-libre.html
That also links off to reddit (yeah I know) asking for it.
Even Edward Snowden got involved on twitter
mobile.twitter.com/Snowden/status/837367956229206016
However, it didn't work out. AMD said they wouldn't release it or anything like that.
yro.slashdot.org/story/17/07/19/1459244/amd-has-no-plans-to-release-psp-code

> /hrt/
> trap
No. Nononononono, I ain't playing that.

The link you posted isn't even remotely relevant. Not even tangibly related.
Only the Pro SKUs have the TrustZone ARM core active.

At least pretend like you have a three digit IQ, shit for brains.

Can anyone else confirm this, aside from this one user? I'm gonna need a LOT of proof before I start putting "AMD is 100% safe" in the list.

is a librebooted thinpkad from __00 series(t200,w500 etc.) 100% secure and runs 100% free software? how secure is it compared to corebooted __20 series?

>100% free
Yes. The whole point of libreboot is to remove any binary blobs that might be in coreboot for the sake of hardware compatibility with later stuff. The main difference I think is in the fact that Libreboot REMOVES the Intel Management Engine, while Coreboot merely SHRINKS it.
If you have a libreboot *00 series, you can have a computer that runs only stallman-approved stuff. If you coreboot it, you're running a mostly-free computer with some proprietary components, but you also get newer hardware.
I guess a way to think about it might be that stock BIOS is the Windows of firmware, Coreboot is the Ubuntu of firmware, and Libreboot would be I guess the Debian of firmware.
Not a perfect analogy, but whatever

ok, i understand, but does libreboot trully remove any and all proprietary code from your machine?
i used to think that it did but a while back user posted this: youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
and it made me realize how much non-free, buggy and potentialy malicious code can hide in the mobo's firmware, would librebooting for example a w500 make it 100% free as in freedom to the point that stallman would useit?

This level of autism triggers me

>Would stallman use it
He most certainly would. The FSF has a program called RYF, which recommends hardware sellers and refurbishers that sell these exact sort of Librebooted thinkpads, as well as libre wifi stuff.
fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
The reason there's no w500 on that list is because there's no site where you can buy it pre-librebooted and pre-configured with libre wifi.

As a side note, they are considering giving the certification to that TALOS II POWER9 workstation.
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/only-a-short-time-left-to-pre-order-the-talos-ii-pre-orders-end-september-15th

We are descending into new, unexplored forms of autism.