Desktop environments

c o m f y b o y s 2 0 1 7

who else /xfce master race/?

Xfce is by far the best de ever made.

What a weird way to spell "Fluxbox".

wmaker master race

Gay faggots gonna be gay no matter what.

what about lxqt?

I installed arch+i3, but didn't rice it. My .themes and .icons folders don't even exist. Well, I changed the fonts, that's it.

And whenever I had a problem to solve I installed well over 100mb of programs to solve it instead of making a 20kb python script.

Then I used the time I saved to get laid

xfce is the best

>a fucking rat

Why your font looks so smooth?

Nope. Trinity Desktop Environment is. Many features yet still lightweight

Whisker menu is best menu. The Weather panel add-on is also petty good.

I still on the fence on if MATE or xfce are my favourite Linux DE. I like Pluma and Caja better than Mouspad or Thunar, for example. I'm feeling I might run xfce with some MATE components.

For elementary OS icons, you should just use elementary OS

Mate somehow feels more full featured but older. Xfce is relatively more modern but has less stuff.

It's like comparing a modern economy car vs an older luxury car.

me
shitposting from comfy school computer

No, MaXX Interactive Desktop here. It's comfier than XFCE.

>Using half-broken DE which works on a butchered LTS Ugubundu and is made by devs who think that not paying for their distro is cheating.
Nah, I'll just use the icons.

I like XFCE but I don't like how shitty many of the themes are for it and that it's pretty much a requirement to use something like compton.

The defaults in Manjaro, which I like more than Ubuntu, are much worse than Xubuntu. So it's conflicting.

MATE is not a great DE. It's hard to make it look good. It's less stable and lacking some essential features (try to vertically resize a snapped window).

>Weather panel
Yr on android.
It's from a norwegian weather institute.
Very accurate. I bike to work taking advice from their predictions

Hahahahaha nigga just don't pay for it, just like don't pay for it hahahahahah

Yr gets its info from metrologisk institutt only in Norway. For its world weather statistics, it's pulling from the weather channel.

tried kde for the last couple months and for the most part i like it, but i still #havetogoback to xfce

>no quick search like spotlight in macos, krunner in KDE or gnome search
>good DE

Xfce really is the patricians choice for a straight-forward, functional and stable DE without bloat.

>help im too stupid to find my own stuff
store everything in the """cloud""" like the rest of the normies then

>It's hard to make it look good. It's less stable and lacking some essential features (try to vertically resize a snapped window).
I've haven't had too many stability problems with MATE - my biggest problem is switching between presets with MATE Tweak. Also some clock stuff, but that's also occurred with xfce. It also has enough feature for me thus far.

One big downside: the only distro that MATE seems to work well for me is Ubuntu MATE. Didn't work so great with the other distros (or GhostBSD) I tried with VirtualBox.

>companies can access your files in the cloud
>he doesn't know about gpg or cryptomator

also it doesn't have it's own widget for keyboard layouts which is a big downside for me.
>Ubuntu MATE
Solus seems to also work good. They\ve good a dank Adapta theme out of the box and super comfy Brisk menu.
Fedora also has a good Compiz setup.
In my experoience, only distros that ship completely broken MATE are openSUSE and Debian

>fresh install of distro
>put xfce on it
>HNNNNNG SO COMFY EVERYONE ELSE CAN'T COMPETE
I'm so tired of these threads

Debian MATE is not that broken.

i miss when cunts posted more exotic stuff than gnome/kde/xfce and their bastard spawn

maybe someone will post enlightenment and surprise us

newfags. you haven't lived until you've experienced the ETOILE desktop environement

Last I heard enlightenment was buggy as hell.
Was this remedied?

My fellows. My only complaint about XFCE is that Thunar natively misses a file search function, even though it provides good customization options. I've just installed Nautilus and now I feel like I've reached Nirvana.

I prefer KDE desu.. just used to it from when I started with Linux mint...

Xfce and Arch master race here

B E S T G I R L
E
S
T
G
I
R
L

>using arch
>getting laid
you're funny, user

xfce is great, except that thunar in 2017 still doesn't remember per folder view and sorting settings. Truly unacceptable.

>not pcmanfm

Nothing beat Openbox+Tint2 not even xfce4

Whats a good and light one for [spoiler]Windows 10[/spoiler]?

wmaker is the best

what de can beat macOS

> pcmanfm
Does it have a built-in search function? The idea of a file manager having multiple tabs looks nice.

I gave KDE a shot yesterday on a live CD and actually thought it was decent.

Modern DE: KDE
comfy DE: mate with a global menu and maybe compiz if you're really feeling the 2007 vibe
Anything else is pretty autistic or non-functional

>KDE
call me when its not buggy as fuck and not bloated as fuck

k whats your number ill call you right now bro

Isn't it dead as fuck? I remember seeing it ages ago and being interested but there never seemed to be any development on it

No idea, but I heard E22 was just released so I think I'm gonna fire up my throwaway ubuntu install and try it out over the weekend

Trinity is great.

310mb of ram for this? I had 280-300 usage with solus/budgie iso. Your shit is bloated af for what it offers.

>>DE
>>Bloated
spotted a poorfag

> popup window for searching things
I'm not sure that I want this.

It's crtl+shift+f, opens results in a new tab and closes the popup after the search. It's quite comfy desu, and i also dislike popups usually.

>"af"
kill yourself

I'd gladly avoid to use keyboard shortcuts to do such a basic thing like starting a search. I want an icon in the fm GUI at least and Nautilus is even better because it enables search as soon as I start typing no matter where my mouse cursor is.

share Wallpaper pls

Meh, I like keyboard shortcuts. I also like being able to search multiple folders at once, and making the searches very specific, limiting file types, sizes and modification times. Then again I don't use the search function very often, and I can see how something a bit more basic can be nice for some. Pcmanfm is a lot faster than nautilus though, at least on my machine.

here you go satan

thanks man

Another Next clone? Hmm. Honestly I just like CWM.

there are exactly two reasonable approaches to graphical environments in unix-like operating systems.

1. Use Gnome3 because it's the default and you use alt-tab to go between the two programs you use on your computer: Google Chrome and Gnome Terminal.

2. Use i3wm, without ANY customizations (and I do mean ANY), because you find the tiling useful to go between the two programs you use on your computer: Google Chrome and Gnome Terminal.

anything else is wasting time using abandonware

Literally none. Unfortunately. It's not that hard to beat OS X design but the problem is that no one cares too

>2560x1600
>font, icon an panel size: fucking huge
God I can't stand macfags.

I'm sitting here using vanilla dwm, fuck me I guess.

>Another Next clone?
No, not at all. It's based on the IRIX Interactive Desktop.

>not dolphin

Does it run well on XFCE?

If you don't mind your theme breaking and installing a shitload of dependencies, sure, works fine.

>not using budgie in 2011+6

ive been a xfce drone for almost 7 years now, thinking about switching to either budgie or i3
wat do anons

can you drag windows using a key yet?

Bb let's rice windows

>If only

Get off of Sup Forums, Jesse

>gnome
No, thank you!

Wait until it uses Qt then

No thanks, I'd rather not be involved with KDE bugs.

>not nemo
nice taste tho

>Not Rox or Ranger

I am using i3wm on my desktop right now, but there are a few random annoying things to use it comfortably and it feels overall a bit unstable.
I'll probably go back to xfce or something that just wörks.
Although I still swear by i3wm on my laptop.

wow! its like im really in 1995

Nothing wrong with that.

Also, you'd be lucky to be using something like that in 1995.

what setup works the best at 4K?

>2017
>not using bspwm over i3

Takes a little while to theme Manjaro to be decently looking, but I like the end result very much

I love when people buy these massive screens then fill them with nothing just so you don't have miles of space.

what is better about it?

disgusting

radical

tfw 1440p screen and using 8pt bitmat fonts
epic

How have you removed the hideous Bluetooth icon in the bottom panel?

more importantly, how do you get the menu to be like that? it's inverted from the default

only thing i miss in xfce (aside from no tearing because of nvidia gpu) is some better integrated searching tools, altough whisker is probably my favorite launch menu amongst DEs. But i guess you cant have integration and modularity at the same time.

> inverted menu
That's easy: right click on Whisker icon >> properties >> beahvior >> position cathegories next to panel button

Not sure I did it myself. Anyway, you can hide it by going to the properties of the notification area (which actually has nothing to do with notifications, but tray icons) and hide it there. Or try to disable the process on startup

Dunno. I think Noto Sans looks great by default but I'm also using RGB Suborder with Slight hinting.