/fpg/ - Fountain Pen General

/Fedora Pen General/
"I feel like a total queer spending $30 on a pen but holy shit a stroke with that pen feels like stroking my dong"

Post yer pens, nibs, inks, regrets, sorrows, etc.

I use a Lamy Safari Charcoal with a medium nib and Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

Can I get a quick rundown? Never owned a fountain pen but I'm interested.

>your handwriting won't look like a three year old
>smooth writing
>wide range of ink colors
>classy
>stylish
>conversation starter with a girl
>shows that you care about the small things in life
>can be used to sign your mortgage, marriage, or similar deals with the devil
>cheaper on the long run than proper pens, but more expensive than bottom of the barrel hand destroying bic-likes

Is it easy to use different colors with the same pen? I'd want to use red for grading but black/blue for more general use. It looks like the pen you have has a converter so that you can use bottled ink rather than cartridges, can those things be cleaned out so you can easily switch colors?

So I like things to be self-sufficient and I have a fountain pen that I refill with my blood (I extract it with a regular syringe) and it's pretty nice, when a few days pass it becomes a sepia tone, the thing is that when I write something, as time passes it starts developing cotton-like mold, can I use some sort of chemical mixed with the blood to avoid this? Also, how could you store blood long term? I'd like to put say, half a liter into a bottle to keep it at hand.

ebin meme

I advise you don't use cartridges if you are going for an intense use of the pen, get the converter if your model has it, refilling is cheaper and easy, as for the cleaning, yes, it's not paint (it's not even pigment based, it's water-colorant based), you can clean it with distilled water (don't use regular water or you'll end up clogging). Thing is, if you want to really switch quickly between colors, just get a secondary fountain pen and be done with it.

I'm not OP, I advise you NOT to buy the safari lamy, I bought 2 and both have insconsistent, dry nibs. Look into TWSBI and Kaweco, try a Kaweco Sport for your first fountain pen since it's relatively cheap and works fine.

For ink, brand doesn't matter, as long as it's intended for use in fountain pens.

dont forget
>cant write well on most paper
>need to buy expensive paper
>needs to be refilled every other page
>always get ink on fingers
>end up just going back to a gel cap

Oh wow

Wrong, use a fine nib that's dryish
>need to buy expensive paper
Wrong, use a fine nib that's dryish
Outright lie, nice meme.
Try not being retarded
>end up just going back to a gel cap
lmaoing at you're live

Fountain pens are unreliable junk.
They write nicely, but always fail when you need it.
A roller ball is reliable and writes just as well as a fountain pen.

I have a super fine jap nib, and I keep the pen at work. I have some french brand notepad that I can fill 1 (one) whole side with writing before my ink runs out.

I also cant write for shit on the off brand sticky notes they have, it just seeps into the paper.

Even 3M brand sticky pads suck for a fountain pen. and it doesnt write smoothly on shitty recycling paper, which is like 90% of the crap out tehre

Works on my machine.

Are you seriously risking blood loss and infections just to use a fountain pen? What the fuck is wrong with you?

not an argument fag

And your anecdotes that may or may not be made up, are arguments?

I had a similar issue.
Recycled paper is all my work uses and any fountain pen bleeds out immediately if used.
Military paperwork needs to be perfectly neat so any bleeding is a no-go
Sticky notes are also a no no
Or note pads

I ended up with nice felt tipped 0.3mm pens.
Writes nicely
Zero bleed out
Doesn't dryout
Can write on any surface

Great It was about time for Sup Forums to have a Fountain Pen General.

Anyway I will post photos of my collection, one of these days.

I've got a small variety of pens, most of them cheap.

Lamy makes good cheap pens. Their nibs are a bit dry-writing. The snap-on style cap has loosened on mine (after 8 years daily use). I'd prefer screw caps.

Cheap Parkers feel really trashy to me, and they write inconsistently (I have like 4 vectors).

My only nice pen is a pilot vanishing point. It's a fountain pen with the ballpoint click-to-retract mechanism, and it's the greatest thing ever. Trouble is, it is so nice I don't let it leave the desk.

I have a variety of noodler inks. They're usually a good price value and come in a rainbow of colors. In my experience, the fully water-proof (bulletproof black specifically) clogs some pens. The non-waterproof inks... well the paper will just turn into a big nondescript smudge. I spilled milk onto a half-used notebook and the writing was just GONE. The whole notebook turned into a vaguely brown sponge.

My goto ink is Pilot blue-black. It's mostly water resistant. If you douse the paper, you will get light blue paper but can still see all the writing clearly.

>medium nib
might as well write with a crayon. i have the extra fine, and it lays lines as wide as a medium bic pen.

>I ended up with nice felt tipped 0.3mm pens.
>Writes nicely
>Zero bleed out
>Doesn't dryout
>Can write on any surface

Can they be refilled? Because they are expensive.

It depends on the how the pens fills (the filling mechanism). As a general rule if the pen is cartridge/converter AND the converter can be easily disassembled then is as easy as it gets because you can clean everything.

Platinum pens are pretty nice in that regard, they are converters can be taken apart with no problem.

Piston Fillers, Vac Fillers, etc, all more difficult to clean and some converters can not be taken apart.

WRONG A pen with a medium/fin nib and some dry ink will write fine on cheap paper

Wrong

Nothing wrong with having inky fingers

Just get a Precise V5 and call it a day

What was your first fountain pen, the one that got you into the hobby, Sup Forums?

For me it was a Faber Castell Basic

Jinhao 126

I just wanna say generals like yours make this board interesting and you are great for creating one

>ink keeps drying out because I never write

Glad we have this going on here now. Idk how Sup Forums related it is, but it's welcome in my eyes.