/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Old: Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
The HTC U11 Plus was originally intended to be the Google Pixel 2 XL
theverge.com/2017/11/2/16598218/google-pixel-2xl-htc-u11-plus-design-plans-change

A OnePlus 5T appears in the wild: small bezels! (photo)
twitter.com/Palmatoro_VG/status/926101866248900610

Review: Moto X4 revives the customizable brand with less options and more features [Video]
9to5google.com/2017/11/03/moto-x4-review/

HTC will make a 'noteworthy' return to dual-camera phones in 2018
engadget.com/2017/11/02/htc-dual-camera-phones-2018/

Razer Phone hands-on review
gsmarena.com/razer_phone_hands_on-review-1678.php

Sony Xperia XZ1 currently going for $590 in US ($110 discount)
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_currently_going_for_590_in_us_110_discount-news-28072.php

OPPO officially announces the R11s with 6-inch FHD+ display
gsmarena.com/oppo_officially_announces_the_r11s_with_6inch_fhd_display-news-28069.php

Android 8.1 update brings "perfectly smooth" scrolling
phonearena.com/news/Android-8.1-update-brings-perfectly-smooth-scrolling_id99445

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/home/device/motorola/moto-g-3rd-gen-marshmallow/topic/sd-card/using-external-sd-card-as-internal-storage/1
lightinthebox.com/es/xiaomi-mi-a1-5-5-pulgada-smartphone-4g-64mb-4gb-12-mp-octa-core-3080mah_p6198621.html?utm_source=webgains_es&irgwc=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=160367&utm_campaign=71545&utm_source=webgains_es
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>touchwiz

What's a non-botnet keyboard to use on Android?

>OPPO officially announces the R11s with 6-inch FHD+ display
I swear if the R11s gets Lineage before the R11 does, I'm cutting someone. It's gotten to the point where I'm contemplating building the ROM myself

Literally any keyboard behind a firewall

What's the veredict?

Femanon here

Any news on the Redmi Note 5? I heard it was going to be released in early November but we're nearly halfway through the month and still no sign

Might have to pull the trigger on a OnePlus 5t if it doesn't show up soon

I think the one getting released in November was the redmi 5, not the note one. I might be wrong

This seems like the best buy right now

it's best budget phone atm, unless you're a burger, in which case you'll have to settle for Moto G5+ or G5S+

tits or gtfo

botnet

anyone with a xz1c here? my brother got me one for my birthday, and want to know how it is. How well do [spoiler]mobages[/spoiler] run on it?

everything is botnet

I have one, don't play games on it but they should run fine as it uses Snapdragon 835.

RN3P users, what rom are ya runnin'?

Yes.

My Pixel 2's notification shade turned black and I have no idea why? I actually prefer it to the white but it weirds me out cause I didn't do it, and was pretty certain you can't anyway.

Just got a Lenovo P2

im coming from being an IOS user

what are your favorite apps? im going to go on a download spree.

What are some phones that have a quad dac and headphone jack?

The friggin v30 won't ever release in europe at this rate and I need a new phone.

Orbot is a must if you care about privacy.

Lineage.microg.org
I've freed myself from the botnet and it's never been this comfy. Almost all open source apps. It just werkz.

Thanks but that isn't a huge concern of mine on this phone

genuinely anything you guys enjoy, could be games, podcast apps, custom launchers wallpaper apps whatever

thanks

Then "Search by Image" is a great way to perform botnet image searches from the phone.
Yes, I'm not shitting you, that's unironically the name of the app.

damn........... mnakes you think

How are people prisoners of their phones?

If price is no obstacle, should I get the Note 8 over the S+?

botnet

hacker's keyboard on f-droid is what I use, if you mean soft keyboard

Hey boys,

Is there a good phone with a screen under 5 inches?

I want to replace my Z5 compact, really loved this little guy

How do I move over apps to my SD card?

Using an old Moto G (3rd gen). Don't have many apps, but my 4.5GB of internal storage is used uip and I can't seem to move or install any apps to my 30GB SD card. Pls halp

xz1 compact if you wanna stick with sony

I switched from an iPhone 6s Plus to a Nokia 6. It's a bit slower, particularly with Snapchat, but the stock Android experience is great

You need to format the MicroSD card as internal storage, but that option isn't available for all phones. If the option isn't there you're SOL pretty much.

hypothetically user buys pixel xl 2
hypothetically user bought the extra coverage for two years
now since google is offering a two year warranty, user wants to know if the extra coverage is required

thanks

pro-tip: not hypothetically

I see "format as portable". I'm assuming I'm SOL? What's portable?

Anyone? Is it worth the extra $100 for a pen?

Is the Ulefone Power 2 a good phone? Anything better in this price range?

Sadly it doesn't support dual language input. Not the other user but is there a best alternative? I use swiftkey but I don't trust them.

where to buy the xiaomi mix 2

Thoughts on the Blackberry Keyone Black?

Fuck, I hate how much I want that keyboard

Hope your screen doesn't pop out like they're known to do

does this help?
motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/home/device/motorola/moto-g-3rd-gen-marshmallow/topic/sd-card/using-external-sd-card-as-internal-storage/1

There's no "format as internal" option unfortunately. There's "Rename", "Eject", and "Format as portable".

are you on a different version of Android or something?

Says Android version 6.0. Checked for a software update but it says up to date.

Maybe try the invert colors button?

never used android, how customizable is it

strange. the option should be there. maybe the card needs to be formatted / empty for the option to be available?

An android with a unlocked bootloader is customizable down to the OS processes and kernel.

i mean just vanilla android, no jailbreaks or unlocked shit.

You can set different animations, launchers, automated task functions, etc.

>reviewers complaining about 720p display on the xz1 compact
I really don't mind the resolution. I think 321 ppi is enough for that size, 1080p would rain too much battery.
>tfw still waiting for a decent offer on the xz1 compact

Mi max 2 user here
Extremely happy with the phone

Just buy the pixel 2 poorfag

Also

>fucking 720p near Thanksgiving 2017

every single non-Plus iPhone from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 8, has a pixel density of 326 to 330ppi, yet you never see reviewers complain about that. But somehow 321ppi on the XZ1c is a issue?

user, its a new feature in android 8.1 but its already built into the pixel 2. When you have a dark wallpaper it switches to a dark theme, light wallpaper it goes to a light theme.

>But somehow 321ppi on the XZ1c is a issue?
for the price, yes. Also some reviewers started complaining about the low ppi on the iphone too. But not that much I think.

LG V30 or S8? Both would cost me the same, both have pros and cons I can't really weight against each other.

Black is better anyways because it saves battery life on OLED

Apple high gamut screens are different from your shang long ding dong sony/xiaomi screens

??????????
idk, mang. I'd say yes, but I've never owned the device, so I don't think my advice would be useful.
Go to a local store to try it out if you can.
Just use afwall+ and Swiftkey
Would you swap it for a redmi note 5 based on current leaks?
I guess screen quality should make the difference

S8 screen has better colors while V30 has a better sounding DAC

here's another reason why 720p really isn't that bad

How do I get my Android phone to recognize my bigger battery? When the battery drains to 1% it stays there for hours.

no but
If the note5 was out I would have bought that one instead

If makes sense to lower screen resolution for games
No reason not to include such feature

So my sister just gave me this HTC One M8. I currently have a Moto E 2nd Gen. Is it worth the effort to setup this new phone?

yeah, absolutely, as long as the battery still holds a charge.

Thanks for the info, I have my doubts about that, so I will test it first. I notice it has twice the RAM and apparently a better CPU, but it's older than my Moto E. Was this a flagship phone?

Is the battery as great as they say? How long did you adjust to the large screen size? Also, is the split screen mode legit?

yeah, HTC's flagship phone for 2014

Haven't tried spilt screen yet
I can somewhat use it with one hand but my short cuts are all on the right hand side of the screen
It is definitely a 2 hands phone so you have to adapt
I think you either go small factor or massive, in-between is just awkward
Used a lgg3 and a Samsung note 3 previously, and I never got used to use these phones in a specific way, whereas the iPhone 4 i used to have was a clear one hand manipulation phone, and now this max2 is a clear 2 hand manipulation phone

And the battery is the reason I bought this on the first place
It is fantastic

Any other option besides rooting? Swiftkey can't be the only good keyboard for android.

>I guess screen quality should make the difference
Yeah, but I dislike the rounded edges

Need help with choosing a phone. Reposting from last thread, only got one reply (thanks to that person tho). I just want a nice screen, reliable and smooth performance for browsing the web/Sup Forums, watching YT and twitch, playing some games. Don't need the best of camera/audio/design but I want it to be respectable.

Narrowed it down to the following phones:
1. Xiaomi Mi A1 for 210e
2. Moto Z (32GB) for 270e
3. HTC U Ultra for 290e
4. Nokia 8 for 460e

Please, if you can, provide reasoning if you do answer. Thanks!

Thank you very much

I'd disregard Moto Z and U Ultra, both have below average battery life and no headphone jack.

Nokia 8 is a nice phone all around, the only one to pack the SD835 of your list, making it the most powerful and efficient, Build quality should be nice, although I don't know how the screen compares.

So I was getting the Pixel 2, but my sister just picked up a Note 8 and I messed around with it a bit earlier today. Didn't anticipate loving the pen feature this much honestly. Like wow I actually really love being able to draw and write on a smartphone. Didn't expect enjoying it that much honestly.

Guys think I should pick up the Note 8 or stick with getting the Pixel 2? I'm not too sure myself anymore.

literally the same as redmi note x4

Why did you want a Pixel 2 in the first place?

>he let himself fall for the Pixel 2 meme
Only the Essential phone is a bigger meme

Just a fan of its mostly stock android experience, minimal bloat and camera. I have last year's Pixel so getting Pixel 2 seemed like a no brainer since I really liked the first one.

Nice but where should I get it from?
I'm french.
Chinese sites like geekbuying or Aliexpress really scare me, for a 15€ product it's ok, but to spend 200€ on it...

You should probably wait another year for next year's flagship lineup. I have an s8 myself and it's comfy but I just wish it didn't have the bloat. Maybe next year manufactures will actually put headphone jacks in high end devices.

What are your opinions on case prints? Gaudy or aesthetic? I'm thinking of getting something like this and was wondering if it's over the top (always used bland one colour cases in the past).

do what makes you happy user

SQT is where questions go to die so I'll try here.

Anyone else having Smart Lock location trouble, or just me?
So I've set my phone to stay unlocked at home with Smart Lock. Location setting is High Accuracy. But over the past few months, I leave the house and quite a while later (sometimes a few minutes, sometimes over an hour later) I go to use my phone and it unlocks with just a swipe, no pattern needed. Even though it's been a long time and I'm nowhere near home. I'm quite worried about the security aspect of this, obviously.
If I change the Location setting to Device (GPS) Only, it improves things quite a lot. But it never stays that way. After a few days the problem is bad again, and when I go to Location settings, it appears to have switched back to High Accuracy all by itself. This has happened multiple times.
My sister has the same phone model, on the same update, and is having the exact same problem. Moto X Play, SIM-free, 6.0.1. UK. Anyone else experiencing this?

Download netguard from f-droid

A good yet affordable alternative to the Moto G5+ in Canada?
I often travel to Europe and USA, so I might need many LTE bands.

Oy goy, are you implying you want to get free performance? That's antisemitism.

If price is not a problema go for the nokia 8, otherwise the mi a1 is incredibly premium for its price.

Like, is that thing legit?
lightinthebox.com/es/xiaomi-mi-a1-5-5-pulgada-smartphone-4g-64mb-4gb-12-mp-octa-core-3080mah_p6198621.html?utm_source=webgains_es&irgwc=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=160367&utm_campaign=71545&utm_source=webgains_es
It feels fishy as fuck.

The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s is going to have a notch too.
Thanks Apple. You motherfuckers.

Many thanks for the replies!

For context, my phones up until now have been HTC Desire X and Microsoft Lumia 535... Even the Mi A1 will be a huge step-up. The U Ultra's SD821 may not be the SD835, but it's still good (just like the LG G6).

Here is the thing, the Mi A1 is a great offer on a budget but I do want the Nokia 8... Just not sure if I really need such an expensive phone. On one hand Nokia 8 is much better but on the other I'd probably just be fine with the Mi A1.

That is why the U Ultra looks like such a great offer, one that kinda came out of nowhere, appearing as a good "balanced middle" choice... For that Price, on the cheaper end, it's fantastic and I like the look of the phone. I really don't care about the lack of a headphone jack. Is the battery life really an issue?

Americunt Verizon user here.

I want android and the most comparable in terms of specs to the iphone 7 that will cost $500 or less.

Any recommendations for an android watch? I love my apple watch but i'm so tired of the fisher price OS that is ios.

What's with the sudden hate on bezels? Why are normalfags like this?

what did your post have to do with you being female?

Because they're retarded, just like people who don't realize that curved screens distort the image.